• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Number45

Wow this banner at the top of the Music app is annoying me and I can't seem to dismiss it.

"Showing only music on this iPhone: Show All Music"

No shit, I don't want to show all my music. Please tell me I can get rid of this somehow? I have iCloud music library off and Apple Music off.
You're not alone in your frustration, it's infuriating! I'm still on a 4s so that screen space is valuable. :(

Lima

Press the show all music button prompt once and then go back to settings to disable apple music again. Button prompt will be gone.

Ambitious

I just noticed the redesigned video player in the Photos app. The bar with the thumbnails you can use to go to a specific position in the video is now at the bottom of the screen. And the same bar now displays thumbnails of all videos and pictures in your library. It's one long horizontal list.

I don't really like this. To me, searching for a specific video/picture is something different than searching for a specific moment within a video. These tasks shouldn't be handled by the same UI element. But let's see, maybe I'll get used to it.

Number45

Press the show all music button prompt once and then go back to settings to disable apple music again. Button prompt will be gone.
I don't want to disable Apple Music, I set it to offline only most of the time (because I'm in and out of signal areas and often have it on shuffle all) and I don't need to be told that's what it's set to. :'(

Basically, the option to acknowledge that message is all I want.

grmlin

So I updated the iPad 3 and it works well so far. Better than iOS 8 imho.

BUT, wtf can't I use content blockers for Safari with it? :( That would have made surfing with Safari so much better.

Aiii

So not worth it

BUT, wtf can't I use content blockers for Safari with it? :( That would have made surfing with Safari so much better.

Probably too slow to handle it I would imagine.

ZeroX03

Banned

64 bit devices only for content blockers. Someone explained the technical reason for it.

samn

Use Weblock. It works for all apps (like Youtube), but only on wifi, though that's not an issue for the iPad.

Ambitious

uiausaz.png

I wish these arrows were a standard UI element of iOS.

Can someone please explain how to achieve this? For the first few months I could get at least two, sometimes three full days out of my 6+ on one charge, but now I get 6 hours of usage and max 24-36 hours of standby.

How are people achieving this? Using low-power mode from 100% on? I have half brightness and use Wifi almost exclusively. No Bluetooth or Air Drop, and I'm on Do No Disturb (Silent). I only use Safari, Twitter, FB, Messages, and Snapchat (in that order of usage, with Snapchat being about 5%). I don't use any music or movie apps.

By going on the second screenshot, he's achieving this by playing music in the background. iOS counts audio playback in the background as "Usage" and not standby usage since the CPU is actually doing some processing. This in turn can inflate your usage and make it seem like the battery can last on almost unrealistic levels.

Your usage seems similar to mine, but as of right now, I'm averaging about 9 hours usage about every 24 hours of standby on iOS 9. Keep in mind that I have Personal Hotspit turned on most of the day, so I don't know if that inflates it as much as music playback, but from what I've seen it doesn't.

So, you usage seems fine. There's no secret settings that will help you get this magical battery life that will last you days, unless you barely use your phone.

Anyone noticing a volume bug in iOS 9 when using bluetooth headsets? Volume is low despite the volume slider being maxxed out in the music app. Had to restart my device to get it back to normal.

Mobius 1

Anyone noticing a volume bug in iOS 9 when using bluetooth headsets? Volume is low despite the volume slider being maxxed out in the music app. Had to restart my device to get it back to normal.

Yes. And be careful, sometimes a notification can make the volume return to normal. If you have the bar maxed out, it will hurt your ears

I was wondering why it was so dang quiet when I was listening in the car. Had to finally connect it to the AUX via the headphone jack. Although even then it was like it was still connected because it would be loud / soft / loud / soft randomly. I had to turn delete the BT profile for it to stop.

madmook

This is more of a general iOS question, but what do people use to make their own ringtones? I used to use a site called Audiko but was wondering if there was anything better, or an offline piece of software perhaps (preferably for Windows or iOS itself).
I make my own with iTunes: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/02/make-free-ringtone-iphone_n_5901540.html

Basically, rename an .m4a (AAC) file to .m4r and then when you add that to iTunes it's recognized and added as a ringtone. I just double-click the .m4r file and that adds it to the iTunes library.

Anyone else seeing the bug where the same app updates keep showing up in the App Store? I have some from A week ago that I know for sure I downloaded show up again.

Sean

Banned
Anyone else seeing the bug where the same app updates keep showing up in the App Store? I have some from A week ago that I know for sure I downloaded show up again.

I just got this bug after updating to 9.0.1 on my iPhone. Like 14 app updates that I downloaded a few days ago.

Didn't happen on my iPad though.

So far with my 6 and iOS 9 I've been having apps freeze on me. Sometimes it is to the point I can't even use the home button (I have to let it sit). Yes this has happen before on different iPhones and iOSs, but it has been happening a whole lot more since I updated. I guess I might try a new install, or wait to until I pick-up the 6s.

Ok I've had this issue on and off for years. It is like another app overtakes the volume control. Mostly all I have to do is force close Facebook, and the volume jumps back up. Try that or close any app that may have taken over your volume.

To be clear this happens to me even when not using bluetooh.

iPad 3 is the first one with the Retina display, yeah? I'm still on iOS 6 or 7--resisted installing because I didn't want to slow anything down. But you say everything runs okay?

grmlin

Ok, Yes. But if I remember correctly the speed of the vanilla iPad 3 is still unmatched.

I updated it because most apps require the newer versions of iOS

cjp

I just got this bug after updating to 9.0.1 on my iPhone. Like 14 app updates that I downloaded a few days ago.

It happened to me a few minutes ago.

Yes. There's a growing thread about it on MacRumors. Seems it's worldwide.

Tdog987

Have a 5s (32 gb)...I've had it for about a year and half

I updated to iOS 9 on Tuesday at about 5 am and I woke up this morning check my phone for messages. I used the finger print thing to unlock it and when I tried to open up an app nothing. The whole touch screen was not doing anything. Couldn't do swipes. Couldn't open any apps...wasn't registering at all. I could get that new circle in a square menu thing to pop up, buT it didn't really do a lot and could get that menu one you swipe up from the bottom, but it wouldn't let me turn on the flash light or nothing

Did a hard reset (could hit the power off button, but it wouldn't let me swipe right to shut it off regularly) and everything seems to be fine now, scared the crap out of me, and had thought my phone was a goner

FerranMG

Just happened to me on iOS 9.0.
Also, can't check if iOS 9.0.1 is available because I'm getting an error message.
Something is fucked in Apple's servers.
This is not how you introduce an OS that supposedly is all about stability and performance.

Erebus

Is it 9.0.1? Or has anyone got it on 9.0? If the latter them probably a serverside glitch?

Or maybe the update brings up the issue?
No, it happened a few minutes before I update to 9.0.1

Could it be the app thinning? Though I didn't notice any difference in the free space of my device.

Blackhead

Redarse

I just got the bug on 9.0 , then I immediately downloaded and updated to 9.0.1 and now don't see the updates in the App store after the reboot.

Majine

Banned
Does anyone get app recommendations on the lock screen? I've gotten zero of those, and since there is no Proactivity settings, I can't investigate it on my device.

Eklesp

Does anyone get app recommendations on the lock screen? I've gotten zero of those, and since there is no Proactivity settings, I can't investigate it on my device.

On the lock screen? No, I get them on the search screen, apps that I have recently used. Is this what you mean?

That's usually when you're near a store that you have an app of like Best Buy, Walgreens, Starbucks etc. (the bottom left of the lock screen?)

samn

I do when I plug in my earphones. It recommends the iPlayer Radio app to me on the bottom left. I don't know if it has other triggers.

Tried this. Doesn't work. In fact when you go back to settings it doesn't even show Apple Music as being enabled in the first place.

JDeluis

I still have my iPad 3 on ios6. I don't plan on updating anytime soon. Only reason I would update is because a lot of newer apps require ios7. It's good to know ios 9 is running better in case I accidentally upgrade. LOL

Link

The Autumn Wind
Maybe not the right thread to ask this, but worth a shot. I'm not sure if it's iOS 9 or iTunes 12.3, but it no longer asks me if I'd like to back up my apps when I back up my phone. Anyone know how to resolve this, or somehow make it the default option?

I still can't figure out where Notes are stored on my Mac. They aren't in iCloud Drive, and I am saving them to iCloud, so.... where are they?

Why did I have the bowl, Bart? Why did I have the bowl?

There is a Notes App on OSX. I'm not sure if it's under just Applications or if they stuck it in Utilities but it's there.

But where are the files for Notes stores? That's the problem I'm having.

In OS X 10.9 (“Mavericks”), at least, they’re not stored as individual text documents in a place where you can see them and manipulate them.

Even the notes that you choose to save “On my Mac” end up sandboxed in places like ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/CoreData/ExternalRecords/AA97DB8E-73B4-4C75-B54F-B39E5BC7521F/Note/_records/0/p6.notesexternalrecord, where ~/Library means the (usually invisible) “Library” folder that sits alongside your “Documents”, “Music” and “Pictures” folders.

You can see them by choosing Go to Folder… from the Go menu in the Finder and pasting in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/CoreData/ExternalRecords. You’ll find yourself looking at a folder with a 32-character hyphenated name, which you can open. Then open the “Note” folder and then the “_records” folder. All your notes are two levels further down.

Alternatively, use the following Terminal command:

open ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Notes/Data/Library/CoreData/*/*/Note/_records
There’s not much that you can do with them, however: they are not text or .rtf files, and I suspect that moving any of these files around or changing their contents directly might very well render individual notes irrecoverable — or possibly even break the Notes.app altogether.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-in-the-notes-application-on-my-mac-get-saved

At WWDC they showed that apps can appear on the lockscreen purely based on usage patterns. I guess they just scrapped that?

They didn't, every time I get into my car in the morning the music app gets suggested, and the first app suggested when I turn on my iPad when I get up is the News app

Top Bottom