• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

MedIC86

What is a good battery benchmark app? Coming from ios the device gives me 4 to 6 hours of use and it really sucks

Iphone 6 here.

Im not sure if thats normal. My iPhone 6 last the whole day (with moderate/heavy use) and in the evening im at 15-20% or something. Did you do a hard reset yet? (also im on 9.1pb2)

Rootbeer

Banned
It bugs me to no end that there's a slight stutter whenever I do a pull-down search on my 6s.
Maybe it's due to the amount of data/apps on your phone. I don't have even the slightest stutter or delay on mine, but I probably have a lot less stuff on my phone than you. I'm running off a 4S backup from a phone I have not used in about two years, but it has about 4 years of data on it. I've linked it most of my emails, social accounts, etc. Still a lot of work to do to setup everything, but so far so good.

Maybe clearing out some stuff you know you don't need or want on there could help

BTW, 6S Plus 128GB here, since you have a normal 6S.

Rootbeer

Banned
Do content blockers such as purify update their lists invisibly or how does that work?

In traditional web browser ad-blockers you subscribe to lists and you can update them, etc. There is no such option in purify.

yogloo

Maybe it's due to the amount of data/apps on your phone. I don't have even the slightest stutter or delay on mine, but I probably have a lot less stuff on my phone than you. I'm running off a 4S backup from a phone I have not used in about two years, but it has about 4 years of data on it. I've linked it most of my emails, social accounts, etc. Still a lot of work to do to setup everything, but so far so good.

Maybe clearing out some stuff you know you don't need or want on there could help

BTW, 6S Plus 128GB here, since you have a normal 6S.
Whoopsie. 6+. Not 6s.
Sorry about that. I guess 6s fixed the stutter after all.
It's the small things like this where apple used to be way better than android. It really annoys me because I use the pull down search a lot.

Lima

Do content blockers such as purify update their lists invisibly or how does that work?

In traditional web browser ad-blockers you subscribe to lists and you can update them, etc. There is no such option in purify.

They get updated either through background refresh (if the app supports it like Crystal, Blockr etc.) or in Purify's case through app updates.

Rootbeer

Banned
They get updated either through background refresh (if the app supports it like Crystal, Blockr etc.) or in Purify's case through app updates.

Ahh, app updates as I feared! Less timely updates, at least in theory. We'll see how fast they keep it current in practice. Rolling with it to see how it works for now.

I have three updates stuck in the Appstore, how can I get those out?

If you Back out and go back into Updates you will see them reload and briefly show you the update buttons. You have to be super quick and tap to start updating or they will gray out again. It's a weird bug, but it only happened to me once since iOS 9.

The amount of battery life I am getting out of my iPad Air is absolutely ridiculous.

Usage of 6 hours and 30 minutes.
Stand-by time of 74 hours and 42 minutes.

42% left. I do not know what kind of magic Apple used on iOS9.

samn

The amount of battery life I am getting out of my iPad Air is absolutely ridiculous.

Usage of 6 hours and 30 minutes.
Stand-by time of 74 hours and 42 minutes.

42% left. I do not know what kind of magic Apple used on iOS9.

Usage time is not screen on time. Any process in the background counts towards usage.

Usage time is not screen on time. Any process in the background counts towards usage.

My battery depleted only by 1% in the 8 hours I have been sleeping. I am pretty sure that is indication enough on how wonderful the battery is on these machines, and it has only been improved since.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Yeah, my iPad Air 2 has a slight stutter randomly when I bring spotlight down. It goes smoothly whenever I slide all the way to the left though. It also seems to happen when I turn off Siri suggestions so I don't think that has anything to do with it. I don't remember this happening with 9.0 but it's definitely there with 9.0.1. I'm sure it's something that can be ironed out with further updates. It doesn't really bother me. The OS runs very smoothly otherwise.

Speaking of Siri suggestions. Is there any way you can modify the apps suggested? I.e remove apps, add some or even lock apps on the list so they are always there no matter what?

Sean

Banned
Is there an external keyboard shortcut that brings out slide-over? Does anyone have a list of potential new external keyboard shortcuts?

I don't use an external keyboard with my iPad but I read that if you hold down command key (I think? might be ctrl or opt) that it shows a popover list of all possible shortcuts.

M3d10n

Good thing I only use my iPad 3 to test stuff and don't really rely on it as an everyday device, because goddamn, iOS9 runs like crap on it. It takes five seconds to bring up the app switcher and 2 seconds to open the keyboard when I touch a text field for the first time in an app. It feels like a cheap generic Android tablet.

I've just realized all Microsoft's document processing apps now support multitasking while iWork apps don't, what the hell is Apple doing?

You guys know what would be better for the multitasking function? The ability to customize the multitasking quick access menu, so I don't need to swipe through tons of garbage apps to get to the ones I want.

Aiii

So not worth it
Right now I am not getting much use out of multitasking, need more app compatibility for it to start being worthwhile.

Video overlay though, a gift from Zeus himself.

kharma45

Has iOS changed the way usage is defined for battery? It says 15 hours usage since my last full charge and my mini is only 50% drained. And no, it hasn't been plugged in since the last full charge.

samn

Has iOS changed the way usage is defined for battery? It says 15 hours usage since my last full charge and my mini is only 50% drained. And no, it hasn't been plugged in since the last full charge.

Usage has always included background activity with the screen turned off. That's why it's a largely useless metric, and why no-one should pay attention to battery screenshots.

Wow, this runs like shit on an iPad 4. Often slows to a crawl when typing, chugs when switching between apps, and the battery life has just been destroyed.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
You guys know what would be better for the multitasking function? The ability to customize the multitasking quick access menu, so I don't need to swipe through tons of garbage apps to get to the ones I want.
It's recently/frequently used based just like task switcher. Most cases will see the 3-5 apps you frequently use in 70/30 mode always at the top. It's also separate from app switcher so only the apps you use frequently in 70/30 will show up.

This runs like absolute shit on my 6 plus. I am beyond angry.

Stutters left and right.

Pull down search freezes and lags.

Safari crashes like crazy. WTF??????

JDeluis

I wish there was a way to enable portrait orientation lock on the home screen page only on the 6Plus. Ive had some bugs where it will it stays stuck on landscape view with the Lock Off. Also don't like lanscape in the home page.

jimmypython

What?

What! Ugh it worked great too here in England, that's some bullshit.

That explains it though, cheers

Np!

BTW this is a breakdown of the feature availability put out by apple....
http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#maps-nearby

rz6b.png

Top Bottom