• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Wi-Fi Assist chewed through 8.8 GB of data on my work phone. They were already sending out emails before warning about data usage. Great feature.

It was incredibly dumb of Apple to have turned on this feature by default in iOS9. I'm sure there's a lot of people who upgraded to iOS9 without being fully aware of this feature, and it's currently destroying their data plans.

Joeku

I have never posted before in an iOS/Apple topic (I think) because it worked well enough for me.

But holy fuck, the new Podcasts app is FUCKING garbage. I never had need of a third-party podcast app because it was good enough but Jesus. This is weirdly neither navigable nor readable. The hell were they thinking?

Any rec's on a good third-party podcast app, preferably free?

Also can I change the app switching back to the previous style? The layered page thing isn't working for me.

I feel like they didn't design some of this stuff with the smaller-screened phones in mind.

I don't know if this is an ios 9 problem but I've never had this problem before the other day. I was using imessage with someone and it wasn't sending so I pressed "send as text message". Since that time, everything I'm sending is sent as a text message no matter what. I tried resetting my network settings, deleting the text thread and starting a new one, restoring a backup on my phone, resetting my phone, you name it. I tried this, and this, and this, all to no avail. It's frustrating beyond belief.

I don't think that's an iOS9 problem. I have had that same thing happen to different contacts every once in a while. Eventually something (don't know what) ended up getting the two to do the imessege hand shake and it started working again after a few texts. Well..sometimes only after a few texts and one time it took a few weeks.

sangreal

I have never posted before in an iOS/Apple topic (I think) because it worked well enough for me.

But holy fuck, the new Podcasts app is FUCKING garbage. I never had need of a third-party podcast app because it was good enough but Jesus. This is weirdly neither navigable nor readable. The hell were they thinking?

Any rec's on a good third-party podcast app, preferably free?

Also can I change the app switching back to the previous style? The layered page thing isn't working for me.

I feel like they didn't design some of this stuff with the smaller-screened phones in mind.

I like overcast. Its not free if you want to download over cellular though

Anyone else having trouble with iMessage groups.
Some messages get lost, some members of the group don't get all messages, one of my groups duplicates itself whenever I send something, etc... it's a mess.

9.0.2 is out

- Fixes an issue with the setting to turn on or off app cellular data usage
- Resolves an issue that prevented iMessage activation for some users
- Resolves an issue where an iCloud backup could be interrupted after starting a manual backup
- Fixes an issue where the screen could incorrectly rotate when receiving notifications
- Improves the stability of Podcasts

+ new 9.1 beta

BeeDog

Does anyone else have the bug where notifications don't let off any sounds (i.e. Gmail mails, Facebook messages etc.)? Usually, the first (and occasionally second) notifications from apps don't let off any sounds, but then return to normal. This is highly annoying since I've already missed a couple of important mails/text messages even if the phone isn't silenced.

neshcom

Banned
Does anyone else have the bug where notifications don't let off any sounds (i.e. Gmail mails, Facebook messages etc.)? Usually, the first (and occasionally second) notifications from apps don't let off any sounds, but then return to normal. This is highly annoying since I've already missed a couple of important mails/text messages even if the phone isn't silenced.

I have. Someone recommended backing up to a computer, resetting the device, updating from iTunes, and restoring your data. Was planning on upgrading my 6, so I haven't done it yet.

Shun

Wow wtf Apple, why did you remove Don't Group By Album Artist under Music Settings?

My entire library is unorganised now compared to iOS 8 and on my Mac for iTunes.

Fix this please...

Anyone have a solution for this, as of right now I don't see anything to fix this...

Edit:Nevermind, anyone having issues with your Music library on iOS, just go on iTunes and sort by Album Artist, then delete all the Album Artist names.

The Artists will still be the same and fine, your music will be back as it used to be.

Raw64life

I don't think that's an iOS9 problem. I have had that same thing happen to different contacts every once in a while. Eventually something (don't know what) ended up getting the two to do the imessege hand shake and it started working again after a few texts. Well..sometimes only after a few texts and one time it took a few weeks.

It just fixed itself. Pretty sure it was a problem on the other person's end. Drove myself crazy for nothing :\

Red

Wow wtf Apple, why did you remove Don't Group By Album Artist under Music Settings?

My entire library is unorganised now compared to iOS 8 and on my Mac for iTunes.

Fix this please...

Anyone have a solution for this, as of right now I don't see anything to fix this...

Edit:Nevermind, anyone having issues with your Music library on iOS, just go on iTunes and sort by Album Artist, then delete all the Album Artist names.

The Artists will still be the same and fine, your music will be back as it used to be.
Apple Music has the worst UI of any player or streaming service I've ever used. I've been on it for three months and I still have trouble every time I try to navigate it. I don't understand how to access my music, play all songs by an artist, or see anything but my three most recent playlists. I pretty much only get to music three ways now: discover, Siri search, and spotlight search. Spotlight integration in iOS 9 has been great.

I stuck with it for the excellent playlists, but I've exhausted everything I want to listen to. Thinking about switching back to Spotify.

Shun

Apple Music has the worst UI of any player or streaming service I've ever used. I've been on it for three months and I still have trouble every time I try to navigate it. I don't understand how to access my music, play all songs by an artist, or see anything but my three most recent playlists. I pretty much only get to music three ways now: discover, Siri search, and spotlight search. Spotlight integration in iOS 9 has been great.

I stuck with it for the excellent playlists, but I've exhausted everything I want to listen to. Thinking about switching back to Spotify.

Yeah I don't use any stream service so I immediately turned off Apple Music under settings.

I had to rename some of my music files so that they stay organised since I'm getting rid of my iPod and throwing it on my iPhone.

Not as easy as iOS7/8 but it's good enough for the time being.

My phone (6+) had AWFUL lag until this newest update. I'm not risking updating anymore. My iPad 3 is fucking slow as shit now as well.

My phone (6+) had AWFUL lag until this newest update. I'm not risking updating anymore. My iPad 3 is fucking slow as shit now as well.

If they're already slow, why not update? I feel like point updates are more likely to fix small performance problems than make more of them.

Anyone been prompted to enter in their passkey to unlock because touchID won't work when the device hasn't been logged into in over 48 hours?

I've had this happen 2x on my iPad Air 2 and once on my iPhone 6 since upgrading to iOS9. I had definitely used the devices more recently than 48 hours despite getting that message. Weird.

Anyone been prompted to enter in their passkey to unlock because touchID won't work when the device hasn't been logged into in over 48 hours?

I've had this happen 2x on my iPad Air 2 and once on my iPhone 6 since upgrading to iOS9. I had definitely used the devices more recently than 48 hours despite getting that message. Weird.

I've had it happen, but only when I've actually been away for 48 hours. It's been a thing since at least iOS 8 on my Air 2. If I leave for the weekend without taking my iPad with me I usually come home to that message when I get home.

^Sorry, to clarify, I know it's an actual thing. I had gotten the message too when I hadn't used my iPad for a few days. But since iOS9, I seem to be getting that message erroneously. For example, used my iPad before bed last night and this evening when I got home from work it hit me with that message.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The iPad 3 has been slow as shit since IOS 7. It's not like it's going to get better

iPad 3 was slow as shit at launch. At least the one I played with in the Apple store the day after it came out. That hardware was not ready for the Retina display resolution. No wonder they refreshed it like 5 months later or something.

TxdoHawk

I think the most under-appreciated additions to iOS9 are definitely the enhancements to Reminders (contextual and location).

Maybe that's just me though. At this point, dictating reminders to Siri is so easy that I basically use it as a sort of hybrid calendar and to-do list. This has been the case for awhile. But the new tools are wonderful, location-based reminders especially.

The contextual stuff is more impressive on the surface, I think: If you are looking at a tweet or a web page or something else, you can invoke Siri and say something like "Remind me about this in three hours." Siri will then link directly to whatever you were looking at in the reminder itself.

The location stuff is much simpler and location gating is nothing new, but something as simple as "remind me to ______ when I get home" is just mind-bendingly useful to a forgetful slob like me.

Maybe I am the only crazy person abusing the Reminders app like this. But seriously, if you're like me, swamped with things to remember but you find keeping a calendar way too tedious, you should give voice-dictated reminders a shot. For me, it was life-changing.

Giolon

I just installed the new 9.0.2 update and it added Wallet to my iPad Mini 4 in the settings, which I don't think was there before, and prompted me to add my iTunes credit card to it as soon as it booted post-update, but there's also still no Wallet app.

Fix this please...

I'm almost positive that Apple fucks with iTunes player every update for the lulz.

Dalek

I agree with this entirely. It's awful. I make my own playlists and go with those. I wish they would scrap it and start from scratch with a new design team. There's just too much going on.

grmlin

The iPad 3 has been slow as shit since IOS 7. It's not like it's going to get better

For me iOS 9 is much better than iOS 8, but I did a clean install and used the iCloud backup.

They removed some of the graphical effects, like all the blur filters, and it helps a lot. But it's still pretty slow of course. Early adopters (retina) always suffer with Apple ;) I wait for iPad Air 3 nevertheless.

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask but recently my itunes doesn't show my ipad when its connected. I know its detected because it ask to trust this computer but it just doesnt show in itunes for me to manage it

Windows 10 and it's all updated. I know it's windows issue I tested it on my Mac and it worked fine. I'll remove everything Apple related and reinstall

Vyer

Windows 10 and it's all updated. I know it's windows issue I tested it on my Mac and it worked fine. I'll remove everything Apple related and reinstall

Just in case you haven't, I would unplug the iPad and restart your machine before spending the time to uninstall. Sometimes there are a set of drivers that Windows needs to install outside of iTunes to properly recognize the device. Restart, don't start iTunes, plug in, see if that helps.

Anyone else having issues with Gmail through the mail app this morning? My mail wouldn't load, then it said it lost connection to Google's IMAP server, and I had to resign in. So I deleted the account and when I try to add it, it just.. doesn't. It asks for the permissions, I accept, it goes to toggle on calendar/contacts/mail and it just quits

For the record, iOS doesn't quit, something on Google's side does. It sends me back to the service selection screen. Or maybe it is iOS I have no idea

edit: sorta confirmed it's Google's beef, when I tried to re-add my account on OSX that's not working either. C'mon Google, get your shit together

Thaedolus

Can't believe this is the nth iteration of iPhone and that new updates still provide worse performance.

I haven't experienced worse performance on either my iPad Gen 4 or 5S before I traded it in. I use my iPad every day and it seems no worse or slower than on 8, which seemed no worse than 7...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Can't believe this is the nth iteration of iPhone and that new updates still provide worse performance.

huh? there are only 4 iphone models EVER MADE that don't support iOS 9... I mean you really expect 4 year old hardware to run the same on modern software as four year old software?

kaskade

Been an avid Tweetbot user since the original launch and I can say after buying 4 that it is better in every way.

That's good to hear. I kind of fell off using Tweetbot 3 for whatever reason. I never had much of an issue with the official client. But the lack of ads and content blocking with SafariViewController is nice reason to upgrade.

Top Bottom