• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

MS has been really on the ball with their mobile apps. It's been impressive.
I know, yet there's no first party support from Apple, this is weird.
It's recently/frequently used based just like task switcher. Most cases will see the 3-5 apps you frequently use in 70/30 mode always at the top. It's also separate from app switcher so only the apps you use frequently in 70/30 will show up.
Still, I'd have to scroll through garbage when I want to a less frequently used yet still useful app. Tips app, most people don't even bother. Stuff like find my iPhone, Game Center and all the content blocker apps are all something you open once in a while or only once, do we really need to see them in multitasking menu every time we open the most.

ZeroX03

Banned
Just found out about Wi-Fi Assist. Turned that shit off immediately. Already had big problems with iOS8.0's bug that chewed up 4G data when you thought you were on Wi-Fi, now it's a feature.

Is there a way to turn off the little grey circles where people's faces/initials go when looking at your Messages? I was able to remove them from the App Switcher but that's it. This isn't new to iOS9 but I could never figure it out so I might as well ask here!

RDreamer

Does the news app just work seriously and ridiculously slow for anyone else? It takes forever to load a story. I swear I could see the headline on apple news, swap to safari, Google the headline, and have the story load there in quicker time than clicking the headline in apple news. Sometimes it just doesn't load at all. Or at least I'm not sitting around for like 5 minutes to see.

This isn't a slow phone either because it was this way with my 5s and now the same with my new 6s+.

This came up in the iPhone 6s thread, but is anyone here having issues with regular overnight back-ups on your home wifi network? I've only been able to manually force a backup, it hasn't yet done it automatically.

Rootbeer

Banned
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the package tracking apps on ios, any suggestions? Several cost $$$ so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

features important to me:
- quick notification on my phone when an item is delivered (i'm sure they all have this, i hope?)
- track multiple items at once. at least 5 packages
- nice interface, modern that fits in well with recent iOS versions
- (bonus) add package data via web or Windows so I don't have to type it on my iPhone or Mac each time, though this is not required

Xcellere

Deliveries ticks all those boxes, it's awesome. Been using it for years now.

I'm a bit overwhelmed by the package tracking apps on ios, any suggestions? Several cost $$$ so I want to make sure I make the right choice.

features important to me:
- quick notification on my phone when an item is delivered (i'm sure they all have this, i hope?)
- track multiple items at once. at least 5 packages
- nice interface, modern that fits in well with recent iOS versions
- (bonus) add package data via web or Windows so I don't have to type it on my iPhone or Mac each time, though this is not required

renfaireshotgun

Neo Member
I heard through twitter that iOS9 is pretty buggy and slow on earlier iPhones(4's and 5's), is this true for anyone here? Would you guys recommend upgrading right now if you have an earlier phone or waiting?

Sean

Banned
Deliveries ticks all those boxes, it's awesome. Been using it for years now.

I can vouch for Deliveries too, been using it since it came out. It has the nicest UI, gets frequent updates, has a website, a Mac app, a Watch app, etc. Supports every package tracking service out there and even Amazon/Apple Store so you can track stuff before it even ships. Really great app.

Rootbeer

Banned
Okay purchased deliveries! I love that it has a website you can log onto and add your deliveries and it syncs it to the iOS app and/or Mac app depenending on if you own one or both. I'll consider getting the mac version, but I only really need it on my Phone.

Thanks, it's working swell so far

Xenoflare

Does anyone know how to disable the AirPlay icon? Using my school's wifi and the AirPlay icon just won't go away telling me that other people's Apple devices are using the same network as I am and it's creepy.

Ambitious

I just noticed the redesigned video player in the Photos app. The bar with the thumbnails you can use to go to a specific position in the video is now at the bottom of the screen. And the same bar now displays thumbnails of all videos and pictures in your library. It's one long horizontal list.

I don't really like this. To me, searching for a specific video/picture is something different than searching for a specific moment within a video. These tasks shouldn't be handled by the same UI element. But let's see, maybe I'll get used to it.

Nope. It's garbage. Previously, I used to be able to see the whole video content via the thumbnails in the top bar, and I was also able to immediately go to any position within the video. But now, the thumbnails scroll off the screen. So you have to keep dragging horizontally until you find the moment you were looking for.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'd only hold off on upgrading if it were running iOS 6 or earlier. The visual redesign with 7 brought all of the hitching and sluggishness to the 4S, so if you have that or later, then might as well go to 9.

I'm wondering if picture-in-picture will get the third-party support it needs, or if it'll wind up as untapped potential.

I'd love to see Netflix and my cable streaming app with picture-in-picture support, but so far there's no sign.

monocromo

What version is it running now? If it's 8.x.x update to 9 otherwise don't.

To be fair I dont know yet. Phone is asking me to insert a SIM to gain access but I have to ask my phone company for a proper size SIM tomorrow. I was going to cut the one Im using on my current / old.as.f phone but I cant without touching the metal part of the chip :/

My guess would be 8.x.x

I'd only hold off on upgrading if it were running iOS 6 or earlier. The visual redesign with 7 brought all of the hitching and sluggishness to the 4S, so if you have that or later, then might as well go to 9.

Thank you ! Ill check tomorrow what IOS version is installed and act accordingly. Im currently using an old Samsung with Android 2.3.6... so Im pretty sure a bit of sluggishness wont kill me :p

I can't see myself using PIP very much. My mind just cannot multitask like some people I guess. I'm on deployment and facetime my wife everyday. I thought it would be great to browse gaf while talking to her, but when I am reading I'll miss things that she is talking to me about. So much that she even picked up on it a few times haha. "Did you hear what I just said!?" she says as I am browsing the iOS9 thread.

I can't see myself using PIP very much. My mind just cannot multitask like some people I guess. I'm on deployment and facetime my wife everyday. I thought it would be great to browse gaf while talking to her, but when I am reading I'll miss things that she is talking to me about. So much that she even picked up on it a few times haha. "Did you hear what I just said!?" she says as I am browsing the iOS9 thread.

Yeah, probably not recommended for Facetime. People can usually pick up when they see your eyes moving back-and-forth as you're obviously reading a webpage while talking to them.

I think PiP will be good for casual watching. You missed last night's [insert late night show], less so for serious movie or TV viewing.

Raw64life

I don't know if this is an ios 9 problem but I've never had this problem before the other day. I was using imessage with someone and it wasn't sending so I pressed "send as text message". Since that time, everything I'm sending is sent as a text message no matter what. I tried resetting my network settings, deleting the text thread and starting a new one, restoring a backup on my phone, resetting my phone, you name it. I tried this, and this, and this, all to no avail. It's frustrating beyond belief.

Anyone having issues with backups on iOS9? My new 6s+ won't automatically backup to iCloud anymore. It's not failing out or giving error messages or anything, it just... won't do it

It'll do it when I manually start it, but not on its own

TylerD

Wi-Fi Assist chewed through 8.8 GB of data on my work phone. They were already sending out emails before warning about data usage. Great feature.

Sirolf

Anyone having issues with backups on iOS9? My new 6s+ won't automatically backup to iCloud anymore. It's not failing out or giving error messages or anything, it just... won't do it

It'll do it when I manually start it, but not on its own

Yes mine does that too (6s+)

Yes mine does that too (6s+)

Looked it up, found a blog post about it. The same post also complained about the problem my sister is having with her regular 6, where the backup is showing up in iCloud as 0kb, and it won't do a new backup because it says there's not enough space. Which, even if the backup was normally sized, wouldn't be the case anyway.

Top Bottom