• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Shanks

So anyone know how to hide apps from the purchased list? I'm trying to clean up my list from years of downloading garbage! I can swipe the app and select hide but it just reappears if I leave the screen. Is this a known thing? I used to be able to do this years ago.

Welp, I've given up on getting gmail to feed into any of the default apps on my iPhone, iPad, and Macbook. Even if it starts working it eventually stops and it all goes to shit

I don't know if it's a gmail thing or an iOS9/El Capitan thing but I'm thoroughly peeved

Twookie

I have this weird issue with IOS9 on my iPhone 5

I unlocked my phone and instead of going to the homescreen, it went to a black screen.
I cannot do anything with my phone now, it won't let me turn it off, even when holding down the lock button for longer periodes.

got a call just now, could not answer. the screen is just black, although the notification bar "works"( I can drag it down and up, but tapping on notifications does nothing)
the controlcenter bar works too, music and flashlight is the only thing that works.

tried plugging my phone into itunes, but since itunes has to ask for permission every time you plug it into the computer, i can't give it access since i cannot tap on any options since the screen is black.

I guess I put on music, high brightness and the flashlight now to make it turn itself off when the battery is dry

uh, anyone else having this problem? really annoying knowing that I cannot answer calls or messages today....

I unlocked my phone and instead of going to the homescreen, it went to a black screen.
I cannot do anything with my phone now, it won't let me turn it off, even when holding down the lock button for longer periodes.

got a call just now, could not answer. the screen is just black, although the notification bar "works"( I can drag it down and up, but tapping on notifications does nothing)
the controlcenter bar works too, music and flashlight is the only thing that works.

tried plugging my phone into itunes, but since itunes has to ask for permission every time you plug it into the computer, i can't give it access since i cannot tap on any options since the screen is black.

I guess I put on music, high brightness and the flashlight now to make it turn itself off when the battery is dry

uh, anyone else having this problem? really annoying knowing that I cannot answer calls or messages today....

Have you tried holding down both the power button and the home button at the same time for about 10 seconds? That'll force the device to hard restart

mrkgoo

yeah, it doesn't restart at all :(

Are you sure?
It's a hard reset. Just hold the sleep/wake button and home button until you see it cut out to black AND then gets to the apple logo.

The only time I haven't seen this work in terms of attempting a restart is if either of the buttons is broken hardware-wise.

Twookie

Are you sure?
It's a hard reset. Just hold the sleep/wake button and home button until you see it cut out to black AND then gets to the apple logo.

The only time I haven't seen this work in terms of attempting a restart is if either of the buttons is broken hardware-wise.

i've held it for multiple mins now and it still doesn't hard reset. the lock button is working as i can lock/unlock it

edit: the home button also works, as i can summon siri with it for half a second until the black screen takes over again

Fliesen

meh, just put it into restore mode and restore dat shit

(plug the sucker in, have iTunes open, hold both buttons for 10 secs, keep holding home until iTunes finds a device in restore mode)

Twookie

my phone does not go into restore mode, infact it does nothing at all :|

it's only 40% left on the battery, so i guess i'll just have to wait until it dies, and charge it up again to see if it will work then

if not, then that's fine i guess, it lasted 3 years so i guess it had happen eventually. was a good phone :)

Akai__

Not sure if this belongs here, but previously, when I deleted my browsing history, it wouldn't sign me out of websites like NeoGAF. Now, with iOS9, it does. Any workarround or setting I'm missing? It's slightly annoying.

Wreav

Banned
My 6S locked up/died overnight for the 2nd time. First was on 9.1 PB2, this time on 9.1 PB3. Both times using a 3rd party charger. I've heard it can do this on stock 9.0 as well though.

Getting pretty old missing alarms because of it.

Breraa

Banned

I had a similar issue where the touch screen stopped working.

I had to wear the battery down asking Siri lots of requests. You should ask Siri if she wants a threesome lol

Phone was back to normal once it rebooted

My 6S locked up/died overnight for the 2nd time. First was on 9.1 PB2, this time on 9.1 PB3. Both times using a 3rd party charger. I've heard it can do this on stock 9.0 as well though.

Getting pretty old missing alarms because of it.
After the iOS 9.0 beta I'll never beta test for Apple again on my main phone. My phone crashed, hard-locked, and behaved all manners of unstable that I'm perfectly content for release versions now.

mrkgoo

Siri has been a disappointment so far.
It's a lot faster but way more hit-in-miss in voice recognition. It's even getting single-syllable words that I'm saying wrong, whereas iOS8 Siri never had these issues.
Pretty gutting.

Wasn't related to iOS , because it started happening near the end of ios8, but I have weird hiccup with Siri recently too.

Back in the day when Siri was first introduced, my accent must've been tough one to crack - it couldn't understand my "add". It meant I couldn't say "add milk to reminders". Ok fine, so I was conditioned to say "put X on my reminders." instead.

Then somewhere recently, Siri changed entirely and if I used the "put" phrase, she'd understand me but say she can't do it. Except she can if I say "add". It's annoying to have her be able to understand but not actually do it when she used to. It breaks the illusion that it's a super smart AI with personality b

mrkgoo

meh, just put it into restore mode and restore dat shit

(plug the sucker in, have iTunes open, hold both buttons for 10 secs, keep holding home until iTunes finds a device in restore mode)

my phone does not go into restore mode, infact it does nothing at all :|

it's only 40% left on the battery, so i guess i'll just have to wait until it dies, and charge it up again to see if it will work then

if not, then that's fine i guess, it lasted 3 years so i guess it had happen eventually. was a good phone :)

This still seems so bizarre to me. The double button reset thing is hard-wired into the hardware. At least I assumed so. Like even a lack of operating system? It's still there.

Only thin I can think of is if one of the button is broken in such a way that a ten second press is not working (like maybe the connection is intermittent and cuts out).

Recovery mode is actually pretty easy to put a device into - while plugged in, hold both buttons until you see the apple logo, then release the sleep/wake button.

Are you sure you're doing it for ten seconds?

JDeluis

Maybe I missed someone mentioning it, but one of the great updates is that when connecting the phone to the computer to backup photos, they are less individual folders and are now arranged like they were in ios6. Instead of having 20 folders with photos scattered around they are now placed by file number like a camera memory card would sort it.

Mr Swine

Banned
Is it me or does twitch mobile page not work anymore? I want to use the PiP and the stream doesn't load, no matter how many times I press it

Red

Is it me or does twitch mobile page not work anymore? I want to use the PiP and the stream doesn't load, no matter how many times I press it
Videos take forever to load on my 5s now. I have to hit the play button over and over. Sometimes it doesn't even seem to do anything. How long have you waited?

I've noticed my camera is just awful at finding focus on iOS9. Constantly shifts in and out.

Guri

This is not specific to iOS 9, but does the pull-down-to-refresh feature of Chrome stop working sometimes for you guys? I have to actually close the app and restart it to get it to work again. iPhone 5 here.

FerranMG

This is not specific to iOS 9, but does the pull-down-to-refresh feature of Chrome stop working sometimes for you guys? I have to actually close the app and restart it to get it to work again. iPhone 5 here.

It happened quite a bit to me in iOS 8.
In iOS 9 I decided to move to Safari, mainly due to content blockers.
I miss the gestures, though. :(

new app switcher sucks
they bloated the music app with links that i don't care about
photo section is a mess with all these unnecessary default photo albums

apple pls. 7 was perfect. 8 and 9 have been full of clutter and junk apps.

So anyone know how to hide apps from the purchased list? I'm trying to clean up my list from years of downloading garbage! I can swipe the app and select hide but it just reappears if I leave the screen. Is this a known thing? I used to be able to do this years ago.

I was having this issue as well and just figured it out.

I had to open iTunes on my computer, sign in, click on my name, choose "purchases" or "family purchases", the select "All" in the top middle part of the screen.

Then on the left I chose apps and you can see all your apps.

Move your cursor over the app you want to hide and click on the top left corner just outside the app. Your cursor should turn into a little hand pointer when you're in the right area. It should then ask if you want to really hide the app or something.

Each consequent app you hide just goes away.

Yeah, I have no idea why you can't just do it from your device despite it giving you the option, something that needs to be fixed I guess .

Hope my memory and instructions don't lead you astray ;-)

Mr Swine

Banned
Videos take forever to load on my 5s now. I have to hit the play button over and over. Sometimes it doesn't even seem to do anything. How long have you waited?

I've noticed my camera is just awful at finding focus on iOS9. Constantly shifts in and out.

nothing happens when I click on the link, the play button is still there and I have to reload the page tons of times to make it work. This started to happen about 2 days ago. Very irritating, I wonder if twitch doesn't want people to use PiP feature :-(

SeanR1221

I STILL can't get text message forwarding on my iPad Air. The code pops up on all my other devices but won't show on the air. I really thought 9.0.2 would fix this, especially since its mentioned in the patch notes.

I've tried everything from turning off/on iMessages, to removing and re adding my iCloud account. What gives?

MicH

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but I hope someone can help.

So, for some bizarre reason my Apple ID no longer wants to work on my iPhone. One day it simply didn't accept my password. I reset it and it still wouldn't accept it. The thing is: it works EVERYWHERE else! My computer, my iPad, Apples own website. I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Now my phone simply tells me that my Apple ID has been locked and that I have to unlock it.. by resetting my password. I've done this twice and it still doesn't work! The new passwords work fine everywhere else.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve this? It's driving me crazy! I can't even reset the phone as I can access the iCloud settings so I can't disable Find my iPhone :(

Tarkus

Looks like 4S performance is getting better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tziJLmqqXrs

I'll most probably upgrade from 7 when 9.1 releases.
I've been on 9.1 (pb3) now since it was released and couldn't be happier. Battery life is good. Everything is snappy, especially Safari with Purify. I've done side-by-side tests like this one in the video with my wife's phone on 9.0.2, and 9.1 pb3 is just a hair quicker when opening most apps. It's a stable release too, as I've only crashed an app twice with a repeatable sequence of maneuvers that I've reported to Apple. Overall, 9.1 is rock solid, swift, great on the battery. 6 plus btw.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I STILL can't get text message forwarding on my iPad Air. The code pops up on all my other devices but won't show on the air. I really thought 9.0.2 would fix this, especially since its mentioned in the patch notes.

I've tried everything from turning off/on iMessages, to removing and re adding my iCloud account. What gives?
Ugh. I have this same problem with 2 out of 4 machines I own.

I can forward to my MacBook, but not my iMac or my iPad and it fucking sucks. I've tried everything. Reformats and reinstalls. Nothing. They show up in the list. I tick the box. No code ever shows up. And it hasn't worked since late in iOS 8. And it's completely undiagnosable. Because from the iPhone's perspective it's doing what it is supposed to do. But the iMac and iPad never show the code and I can't figure out how to get it to.

Also, I wish OS X and iOS would just sync the entire text message database instead of fragmenting it and syncing when it does, but not when it doesn't. My messages don't go back as far on my computer. And they display differently too. On OS X they group the same person into one message (Which I kind of don't like because it doesn't distinguish each part of each message very well and I never know which number it's going to send as.) but iOS they keep them separate. I have a friend who has used 4 separate phone numbers and on iOS they're 4 threads and OS X they're one single one. Just pick a view! I'd prefer a folder structure really. Put those 4 numbers in a folder. But let me view them all at once in one merged thread optionally. I want it to sync the entire database of messages and if I delete from one device, have them delete from all devices. And I hate that I can't scroll to the very top of a message thread when it's really long without constant taps of the status bar, but then if I accidentally switch apps or lock the phone, it jumps all the way back down to the end of the thread and unloads all the previous pages from memory so I have to do it again. And it'd be nice if I could export a whole thread as a text file or email or something.

But my bigger annoyance is the constant lockups where the phone becomes unresponsive and unusable for upwards of 10 seconds at a time even when it's doing literally nothing. It's happened all through the 9.0 PB and even now on 9.1PB 3.

SeanR1221

Ugh. I have this same problem with 2 out of 4 machines I own.

I can forward to my MacBook, but not my iMac or my iPad and it fucking sucks. I've tried everything. Reformats and reinstalls. Nothing. They show up in the list. I tick the box. No code ever shows up. And it hasn't worked since late in iOS 8. And it's completely undiagnosable. Because from the iPhone's perspective it's doing what it is supposed to do. But the iMac and iPad never show the code and I can't figure out how to get it to.

Glad I'm not alone :/

So I'm trying the default apple mail app for my gmail. I really want to see full emails on my watch.

How often do you guys fetch? 30 minutes? Will this jack up my data usage?

iOS 9 performance is incredible on my parents' 5Ss. The 6 Plus (and maybe the 6) seem to be the only two that were so heavily impacted by iOS 9's couple of performance hitches.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Glad I'm not alone :/

So I'm trying the default apple mail app for my gmail. I really want to see full emails on my watch.

How often do you guys fetch? 30 minutes? Will this jack up my data usage?
The fetch delay isn't going to really affect your data at all since it's only pinging the server and downloading when something is available. It wouldn't matter if it checked every 15 minutes of every 2 hours, it'll still end up using the same amount of data.

What it would affect is battery. I have mine set to 15 minutes and have never really felt it was hurting my battery at all. Looking at my Battery page it says in the past 24 hours mail has used 5% of my battery in the background. A total of 25 minutes of background usage. Nothing big. That's like 14 seconds every 15 minutes.

Frankly all my email is junk anyway so I could probably get away with an hour between checks if I wanted to.

lupin23rd

Are there any known issues with no longer having saved passwords or logins in Safari after upgrading? My mom just called and said she updated her iPad and had her settings wiped.

Kito

This is driving me crazy. After updating to iOS 9.0.2 on my 5s, the loading symbol next to the wifi symbol is ALWAYS on when I'm on the Home screen.

Any ideas? Background App Refresh is off.

the3ye

9.0.2 and deleting emails opened from notifictanions/LS still doesn't work :/
Also I'm having problems with auto-lock. My phone (6s) loves to stay awake (won't even dim) until I restart it. After reboot it's fine for a while.

Minamu

Anyone else having issues with opening certain links, to youtube primarily, in Safari? Safari is my go-to for facebook and linked stuff can't be accessed :/ Appeared in ios9 and continued in 901, and 902 doesn't mention it in the changelog. Come to think of it, the search function disappears in the youtube app if I switch to another app and back as well.

Red

iOS 9 performance is incredible on my parents' 5Ss. The 6 Plus (and maybe the 6) seem to be the only two that were so heavily impacted by iOS 9's couple of performance hitches.
My wife's 6 is slower than my 5s now. It's weird. Opening apps is still quicker on her phone but doing things within apps feels sketchy and unresponsive. Sometimes links will not open and she will have to close and reopen the app. She was not thinkoing about upgrading, but is now.

There have been weird bugs like all her iMessage bubbles within a conversation vanishing that I have not seen on my 5s.

Fliesen

funnily, the app did update but not a single thing changed (it doesn't look like on the app-store screenshots) on my iPhone.

D5BlFyZ.png

yet, on my iPad, i got the updates and not it just looks like a scaled up phone app.
In landscape mode i get to see my list of subscriptions 3(!) items per screen. this is ridiculously bad.

What's happening? It feels like using an Android tablet :(

The fact that my subscriptions don't have labels anymore, but are merely these circular icons - i don't know who half of these are anymore. What the...

funnily, the app did update but not a single thing changed (it doesn't look like on the app-store screenshots) on my iPhone.

yet, on my iPad, i got the updates and not it just looks like a scaled up phone app.
In landscape mode i get to see my list of subscriptions 3(!) items per screen. this is ridiculously bad.

What's happening? It feels like using an Android tablet :(
My updated YouTube app on iPad still looks the same except the new icon.

Edit: I restarted the app and it immediately changed, what is going on?

FerranMG

I'm tired of Google trying to shoehorn Material Design into all their iOS apps, and refusing to use the features and conventions that iOS offers.
Because of this, I stopped using Chrome, I never used Gmail, I'm looking for an alternative Youtube player, and I'll ditch Google Maps as soon as Apple Maps offers public transportation info in my area.

Fliesen

My updated YouTube app on iPad still looks the same except the new icon.

Edit: I restarted the app and it immediately changed, what is going on?

i restarted the app and my phone, and luckily, i'm still blessed with the old app on that end.
The new iPad interface is just a massive step back in functionality. - i don't even care about the design aspects of it.
No icon labels, swiping for navigation - not interaction,
the fact that, to get to my "watch later" list - the feature i use most, it takes me another tap and 2 pointless transitions ...

mitheor

i restarted the app and my phone, and luckily, i'm still blessed with the old app on that end.
The new iPad interface is just a massive step back in functionality.

I´ve just restarted the app after the update (6S) and now i have the new interface.

Top Bottom