• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Kito

I wish there was an option to stop a third party app from ever updating again. I can avoid tapping update but that's too impractical when you have 100+ apps, I'd rather tap 'Update All' and have my selections automatically excluded.

There reaches a point where I'm perfectly happy with an app that functions flawlessly, and I don't care for further features or redesign just for the sake of redesign. YouTube is one of many that has left me paranoid about updating apps.

Wow, just noticed you can search through the Settings app instead of having to scroll down to find an app or go through 8 levels of menus. This is so handy.

FerranMG

In the last few days, all the apps that have had an update appear in the AppStore -> Update screen with all-gray icons.
Has this happened to anyone else?
I tried restarting the phone and didn't change.
iPhone 5S with 9.0.2.

Ninja Dom

I got a silly little bug on iOS 9.0.2 on my iPad 4th Gen.

Any notification that comes in on the lock screen is given a time stamp of arriving 1 minute ago. Regardless of how long the notification has been there.

So if an email came in 3 hours ago, and I haven't unlocked my iPad in that time then the notification on the lock screen will say the email came 1 minute ago.

Doesn't happen on my iPhone which is also on 9.0.2.

hirokazu

I got a silly little bug on iOS 9.0.2 on my iPad 4th Gen.

Any notification that comes in on the lock screen is given a time stamp of arriving 1 minute ago. Regardless of how long the notification has been there.

So if an email came in 3 hours ago, and I haven't unlocked my iPad in that time then the notification on the lock screen will say the email came 1 minute ago.

Doesn't happen on my iPhone which is also on 9.0.2.
This is happening to me randomly on iPhone, and possibly also on iPad. It's not specifically 1 minute ago but when the screen was last one when it got stuck, I think.

Also, reminders that I've already rescheduled the alarm and due dates will still show up on the lock screen at the old alarm time, even though the due date displayed is updated. And then it stays there until dismissed.

Both of these did not happen in 9.0/9.0.1.

Sick new emoji's

apple-ios-9-1-emoji.png

Need that pumpkin before Halloween apple!

Ninja Dom

Wait! Since when??

Browse GAF mobile site on Safari on a 64 bit iPad so iPad Air or Air 2, iPad Mini 2, 3 or 4.

And any embedded YouTube links can be viewed Picture In Picture???

Since when??

I knew iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 4 supported PiP natively but the others in Safari?? Is this new??

I just tried it on my work iPad Mini 2 and yes, you can view embedded YouTube videos PiP.

Wreav

Banned
Wait! Since when??

Browse GAF mobile site on Safari on a 64 bit iPad so iPad Air or Air 2, iPad Mini 2, 3 or 4.

And any embedded YouTube links can be viewed Picture In Picture???

Since when??

I knew iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 4 supported PiP natively but the others in Safari?? Is this new??

I just tried it on my work iPad Mini 2 and yes, you can view embedded YouTube videos PiP.

Since forever. Any natively played video is doable.

Ambitious

Speaking of embedded YouTube videos, I'm really bothered by how you there's now way adjust the video quality. For some reason, most of the time they play in a low resolution for me, even though my connection can easily handle 1080p/60fps. Not sure how they could fix this, though. After all, it's a generic video player, not a YouTube-specific player.

My 6 plus is a laggy mess. I've clean restored and still, it sucks. Fuck you Apple. There's sometimes a 3 SECOND DELAY when selecting a folder. Maybe I should just get a new phone...

Wreav

Banned
Read:

If you have an iPad Air, iPad mini 2, or iPad mini 3, you can use Slide Over and Picture in Picture, but you can't use Split View because those older iPad models are not powerful enough to reliably support two apps at once. If you have an older iPad, like an iPad 2, an older Retina model, or an original iPad mini, none of the multitasking features will be available.

Red

Why doesnt the stock weather app have an option to require location only while using the app? It toggles between "always" and "never." What gives?

Kito

Unless I force quit Facebook or Snapchat, they run in the background for hours even though my background refresh is off for everything. What the hell is going on?

I've noticed a dramatic increase in battery life since force quitting fb and snap after every use.

PopGAF will love the coffin emoji.

btrboyev

Completely fed up with IOS sometimes not letting me swipe to answer my phone...this has always been an issue for me with iPhones, though it was rare. However since IOS 9, I've had this issue at least 6-7 times in the last two weeks.

LCfiner

So what's the final verdict on iOS 9 on a 5S - Jump in or not?

If I do upgrade, do I still have time to rollback?

You can't roll back, I don't think

But iOS 9 is running great on my 5s.

Content blockers, improved spotlight functions, low power mode, small things that add up to a nice update

I found a good iTunes deal! This requires a VISA card.

You can use the $20 off $70 Visa Checkout at Staples and then they have also have buy 1, get the 2nd 30% off with code 24324 for itunes gift cards.

For the second iTunes gift card, they took 30% off the price after the 20$/70$ discount was applied.

Each card was $40 after the Visa Checkout discount...30% of 40 =$12...$40+40-12 = $68.

$100 iTunes Gift Card for $68!

Repost from iPhone 6S thread.

FerranMG

I just noticed that my iPhone and my iPad show different times in the clock.
There's a 2-3 minutes difference between them.
I checked Settings>General>Date&Time>Set Automatically, and in both it's turned on.

Has this happened to anybody else?
Any clue on how could this be fixed?

hirokazu

Why doesnt the stock weather app have an option to require location only while using the app? It toggles between "always" and "never." What gives?
It's used for the weather widget.

My life is a lie.
Which other ones are old?
Some of the clothing, the fire, some of the weather, mountain biking, the trophy, stubbed sticker, theatre masks, artist's palette, subway, some of the square landmarks and landscapes, the monkey, the dragons.

despire

I got a problem where my safari can't connect to internet (it just keeps loading) but all my other apps/Chrome work just fine. Tried resetting the app, airplane mode and booting the phone but nothing works. Anyone have idea how I could fix this?

Edit:
Nvm, deleting the page/window helped sonehow.

Red

It needs to 'always' use your location so Notification Centre can update the weather whenever you use it.
I am using Accuweather. It also has a notification widget. It checks location when swiping down notifications so that your weather is refreshed when you need it. Does the stock weather app constantly piggyback on other location checks so weather is always up to date? I don't understand the distinction. I had a warning this morning saying my 6s+ had been using a lot of battery on location services for the weather app, so I disabled it.

Top Bottom