• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Number45

I am using Accuweather. It also has a notification widget. It checks location when swiping down notifications so that your weather is refreshed when you need it. Does the stock weather app constantly piggyback on other location checks so weather is always up to date? I don't understand the distinction. I had a warning this morning saying my 6s+ had been using a lot of battery on location services for the weather app, so I disabled it.
The stock weather app has a widget in the notification centre, so it's enabled at all times allowing it to display immediately you pull down. I don't think you can disable it in the widget which I guess is why they felt it didn't need the extra location option.

I'm with you to be honest, it should be mandatory for every app that requests location to give you an option to enable it only when the app is active.

Vyer

I am using Accuweather. It also has a notification widget. It checks location when swiping down notifications so that your weather is refreshed when you need it. Does the stock weather app constantly piggyback on other location checks so weather is always up to date? I don't understand the distinction. I had a warning this morning saying my 6s+ had been using a lot of battery on location services for the weather app, so I disabled it.

Are you sure it was a 'warning'? I have seen pop ups that inform you that an app uses location services in the background, not so much that it's doing so to extreme levels.

You'll might see a similar pop up for accuweather at some point.

The stock weather app has a widget in the notification centre, so it's enabled at all times allowing it to display immediately you pull down. I don't think you can disable it in the widget which I guess is why they felt it didn't need the extra location option.

I'm with you to be honest, it should be mandatory for every app that requests location to give you an option to enable it only when the app is active.

Weather is integrated into the Today Summary widget, though the widget as a whole can be turned off or on.

Katori

Dark Sky is the bae weather app. Widget, Watch App/Complication, not to mention some of the most accurate weather I've found.

What would you all call the best comics reading app?

YACReader has a few issues but it integrates with my semi-organized library on Mac, so it works.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Shoutout to ComicGlass, it's a less known comic reader that has done right by me for years.

Red

Are you sure it was a 'warning'? I have seen pop ups that inform you that an app uses location services in the background, not so much that it's doing so to extreme levels.

You'll might see a similar pop up for accuweather at some point.
I am not sure of the exact wording, but it said something along those lines. I don't get why the stock weather app requires location services to always be on when other weather apps with widgets still have the option to activate location services only while the app is active. They are functionally the same.

I have always disabled many of the location services on my iOS devices. Whatever extra fractional battery percentages I can squeeze out are worth it to me. Things like having the weather app always on or my frequent locations tracked are not useful enough to justify even their meager cost.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Ok, Update seems to not working, but its still listened under Updates, so maybe its still to new and just didnt updated yet...
Meh. I hate this.

ijm72

Ok, Update seems to not working, but its still listened under Updates, so maybe its still to new and just didnt updated yet...
Meh. I hate this.
Same thing here after I click update the blue dot underneath the app appears but app is still listed under updates. I don't think the app actually updated because there is no 3D touch support. It seems other people are having the same issue:
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/3d-touch-for-whatsapp-messenger.1928259/

Mr Swine

Banned
Man I'm disappointed that Netflix, YouTube and Twitch still hasn't added PiP and slide over/ multitask support. Same with Facebook and other apps :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's used for the weather widget.
What weather widget? iOS hasn't had one since iOS 6. I assume you mean the "Today" part of the NC. I miss the old iOS 6 one actually. I liked having the forecast in my Notifications Center. Why the hell hasn't it been put back? And no, I don't want to use another weather app to get it back.

Sean

Banned
Man I'm disappointed that Netflix, YouTube and Twitch still hasn't added PiP and slide over/ multitask support. Same with Facebook and other apps :/

I don't think YouTube will ever support it tbh as they use a custom video player thing to serve ads (among other things).

LosDaddie

Banned
After using iOS 9 on my iPhone 6 since launch....I do like it. Even like how the multiple apps are shown to the left now.

Overall, I'm pleased.

Kito

MacStories just addressed my battery usage issue with the Facebook app.

Now that I know I'm not an isolated case, I've swiftly deleted Facebook. I do not even want to think about how over the years this has cut my battery an hour short every day. Absolute scum. Die in a fire.

Guess Who

Banned
I don't think YouTube will ever support it tbh as they use a custom video player thing to serve ads (among other things).

There's APIs allowing PiP with custom video players. Hulu has ads but works fine with PiP. HBO Now, despite not having ads, also uses a custom video player but supports PiP.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Whatsapp updated twice in 24 hours. At first glance I see the second update added 3D Touch support from the home screen.

DOWN

Banned
Trying to find out if deleting the beta profile means my phone will seamlessly switch over to the public final builds only once the next one releases? I'm told on El Capitan that you can go to settings and opt out of the beta, and from then on, your computer will only see the final release public builds and you can just update to that and it will be back on track.

Wreav

Banned
Trying to find out if deleting the beta profile means my phone will seamlessly switch over to the public final builds only once the next one releases? I'm told on El Capitan that you can go to settings and opt out of the beta, and from then on, your computer will only see the final release public builds and you can just update to that and it will be back on track.

On iOS, yes. You'll see the next OTA that's above your beta level.

v4gr4nt

My iPhone 5 with iOS9 got really slow after a couple of weeks, specially on whatsapp. Would a clean install help? Does deleting my whatsapp images/videos help also (regarding the whatsapp slowness)?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
My iPhone 5 with iOS9 got really slow after a couple of weeks, specially on whatsapp. Would a clean install help? Does deleting my whatsapp images/videos help also (regarding the whatsapp slowness)?
Yes, making the database smaller helps, but have you updated to the new Whatsapp version?
There were a couple of people here with problems that were solved

SURGEdude

Great to see the jailbreak but I kind of wish they had held back until 9.1. 9.0.2 has been pretty buggy on my 6S+ and It's pretty likely Apple will patch the exploit.

gamma

YES YES YES!

Twitch now supports Multitasking, slide over and PiP!

It's so damn good now! :D

Ambitious

Would be cool if it was possible to expand a PiP video to fullscreen with one tap or gesture without having to go back to its app first.

Aurizen

Great to see the jailbreak but I kind of wish they had held back until 9.1. 9.0.2 has been pretty buggy on my 6S+ and It's pretty likely Apple will patch the exploit.

The only reason I would jailbreak my phone would be to use ifile to get my restriction password. Unless someone knows how to do that now without jailbreak

Guess Who

Banned

Supposedly 9.1 already at least partially closes the exploit so they just figured what the hell.

Top Bottom