• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

samn

One of the big features of iOS 9 is the much smaller download and install size.

iOS 8 download was 4.58 GB and iOS 9 is 1.3 GB.

No, download size is completely different from install size.

iOS 9 takes up as much (maybe a little more) space as iOS 8 does when installed on a device.

I have previews turned off for iMessage and my quick reply works just fine

However, Messenger settings are totally fucked. If you have previews off, you can't reply from an Apple Watch notification at all, and you can't swipe down on a banner notification to read the message, but you CAN reply to it from the banner (if it lets you swipe down at all. Sometimes it does, sometimes not). You know, without reading it

If previews are turned on you can reply from an Apple Watch notification, and you can pull down on a banner to read the whole message, but the only reply options are Mute and the thumbs up sign, NOT reply. I seriously can't believe this

By contrast, I have previews turned off for iMessage, and I can reply from an Apple Watch, pull down on banners to read a message, and reply to it from right there

I just sent them some feedback about this exact bullshit
Oh, so this explains it. Complete BS, will send feedback as well.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
9.1 is still buggy as hell. I had it force shutdown twice yesterday and once today requiring a force reboot. It still freezes. At one point it forgot all the plays I had for a couple days which pissed me off because all my playlists are literally based on playcounts and last played data. The freezing is the worst part. The UI just stops dead for upwards of 10 seconds at a time even when absolutely nothing is running with no sign of what is causing it. Sometimes I'll press Home to go to the home screen for literally a fraction of a second and Siri will be activated for no reason.

Fix this shit! This is actually the worst 9.1 beta so far.

Diablos

9.x does not like the 5c. I disabled transparency and motion, as well as background app refresh. Seems to be helping tremendously.

9.1 is still buggy as hell. I had it force shutdown twice yesterday and once today requiring a force reboot. It still freezes. At one point it forgot all the plays I had for a couple days which pissed me off because all my playlists are literally based on playcounts and last played data. The freezing is the worst part. The UI just stops dead for upwards of 10 seconds at a time even when absolutely nothing is running with no sign of what is causing it. Sometimes I'll press Home to go to the home screen for literally a fraction of a second and Siri will be activated for no reason.

Fix this shit! This is actually the worst 9.1 beta so far.
I had an awful experience beta testing 9.0. My phone crashed, locked up, and everything in between. And, yeah, the Beta is for figuring these things out. The kicker? I deleted the Feedback app not realizing I couldn't get it back, so I couldn't report any of it. :-/ Suffice to say, I'll let others Beta test for Apple. I'm officially done.

So I ran into a hypothetical problem today. (because I thought ahead and fixed it on my own)

Let's say I live on the east cost, or at least in the EST time zone. I wake up every day at 7am. Well, tomorrow I have a conference call with some people in Europe that is marked on my calendar for 6am EST. Well, I remembered to enter the event into my calendar so that very brief minor alarm will go off but I forgot to change the alarm on my phone.

In this hypothetical, I would still be asleep and not log on to the computer to make the conference call because my alarm would go off an hour later, and unless I changed the default calendar reminder sound to be loud and obnoxious, and at that point I should just remember to set the alarm myself, I'd miss it. Should the "proactive" on the phone adjust my alarm to wake me up an hour earlier or something? Or should Siri at least be able to parse "set my alarm an hour before my earliest calendar appointment tomorrow" and know what I want? (Right now, she tries to create a calendar event tomorrow at current_time-hour.

Anyway, I'm starting to use the Calendar app a lot more, and I'm running into these strange edge cases.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
More force shutting down and rebooting on its own. More freezing. Second time it's force rebooted when I was in Mail. I even have Mail set to hourly now.

Also, more shitty Music syncing bugs. Some songs play different songs instead. How do you fuck up something that already worked?

If the final 9.1 comes out and is still like this I will be a sad panda. I can't handle this on a daily basis if it's what the OS is going to be.

Ambitious

More force shutting down and rebooting on its own. More freezing. Second time it's force rebooted when I was in Mail. I even have Mail set to hourly now.

Also, more shitty Music syncing bugs. Some songs play different songs instead. How do you fuck up something that already worked?

If the final 9.1 comes out and is still like this I will be a sad panda. I can't handle this on a daily basis if it's what the OS is going to be.

That was one of the issues I regularly encountered years ago with iTunes Match. Dozens of songs were actually different ones. Some of them were duplicated, where both dupes would play different songs but neither played the correct one. Some of them showed up in the wrong album. Some songs wouldn't play at all. Others would freeze the Music app when attempting to play them. Of course, none of these issues were ever fixed.

Okay, I think I need to bring you back down to earth. You're beta testing iOS 9.1. I don't necessarily feel you have the right to be upset. By installing the Beta you've agreed to the fact that there will be bugs, in addition to the fact that you will help Apple in reporting said bugs. Beta testing != demo. So, if you're not going to help Apple identify these bugs, then you shouldn't have the right to complain about them on a forum.

Just my two cents.

(Though I will say this. I empathize with you. It's frustrating. I get that. Next time beta test on an iOS that isn't your main device.)

Erebus

Anyone else having problems with iMessage/Facetime?

Last night, they got de-activated for no apparent reason for me. I've been trying to re-activate them to no avail. I can only use them through my Apple ID and not my phone number. It's just says "waiting for activation" the past couple of hours.

hwalker84

I have to reboot my iPhone 6s+ everyday because of stale email notifications. Anything I can do to stop this? I get hundreds of emails a day from 3 different email accounts. By the end of the day I can check notifications and see that there are a ton of notifications from emails that I've already filed/deleted/read. The notification is completely unresponsive. Cannot hit the X. Cannot delete it. Cannot reply, etc.

Suggestions?

I have to reboot my iPhone 6s+ everyday because of stale email notifications. Anything I can do to stop this? I get hundreds of emails a day from 3 different email accounts. By the end of the day I can check notifications and see that there are a ton of notifications from emails that I've already filed/deleted/read. The notification is completely unresponsive. Cannot hit the X. Cannot delete it. Cannot reply, etc.

Suggestions?
Remove the accounts and re-add them.

Patriots7

Any cases of ALL iCloud backups being deleted? Got a 6S to replace my 6, and iCloud is saying I have never backed up my iPhone (despite owning ~10 iPhones since 2009).

Genius Bar was not very helpful.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Any cases of ALL iCloud backups being deleted? Got a 6S to replace my 6, and iCloud is saying I have never backed up my iPhone (despite owning ~10 iPhones since 2009).

Genius Bar was not very helpful.
Check and see if they were even deleted. My phone was saying that during the beta and it was a lie. My backups never got deleted. But the phone did stop backing up for a while.

Number45

Suggestions?
I find the unread badge count on the mail app never automatically updates once I've read/deleted a mail on another device - I actually have to open the app locally to refresh it. This is actually with an @me.com address too!

Haven't seen the issue you're having though, which sounds like it's related to notification centre?

EDIT: Well fuck. "Working as intended"

kaskade

Alright so preorders for the Apple TV are starting on Monday the 26th with shipping later that week. I'm going to guess that 9.1 will be out on the 27th then.

jts

...hate me...
Not sure where to post this, but something seems to be wrong with my iPhone 5 when I just need its last breath. It won’t backup to iTunes on any computer (tried Mac and Windows - "iTunes couldn’t backup this phone due to a problem”) and even iCloud backup just keeps spinning and saying “estimating time remaining...” for 20-30 minutes?

It says the last backup to iCloud was 3 days ago. It doesn’t load the list of apps that have data uploaded to iCloud (it only loads the list of apps with zero data).

Also I should mention that every few app auto updates, the apps will hang when downloading or installing, disappear from my phone when I finally reboot it, and get back on it again when I manually get them from the App Store, or sometimes just by themselves after a while.

I’m almost to the point of starting fresh on my 6s+, jailbreak it (and my 5), and manually move the data if possible? What do you reckon?

Managed to backup, actually seems like I just have massive connection issues to iTunes/iCloud servers... and can’t figure out why. Can’t even login to my account or download a free app right now. On website I login fine.

Patriots7

Check and see if they were even deleted. My phone was saying that during the beta and it was a lie. My backups never got deleted. But the phone did stop backing up for a while.
None are showing up anywhere unfortunately. Ugh. iOS 9 sucks.
Luckily my photos are still up on Photostream.

Kito

I've stopped using Apple's Mail app, in favour of the Mailbox app, after too much sneaky background activity.

Instagram's background activity has also started creeping up, but not significantly enough to warrant a delete like Facebook yet.

I'm extremely frustrated that turning off Background App Refresh does not turn off background activity. I'm sick of this. Shoutout to Alien Blue, Tumblr, Swarm, and other apps for not stealing my battery life.

Red

Any suggestions for a step/calorie counter? Nothing fancy but if it can differentiate between running and walking, all the better. Paid apps okay but no subscription services please. I see plenty out there but no idea what has been tested for accuracy. I'm using Steps right now, for its simple interface, but it doesn't offer anything the stock health app doesn't.

FerranMG

I've stopped using Apple's Mail app, in favour of the Mailbox app, after too much sneaky background activity.

Instagram's background activity has also started creeping up, but not significantly enough to warrant a delete like Facebook yet.

I'm extremely frustrated that turning off Background App Refresh does not turn off background activity. I'm sick of this. Shoutout to Alien Blue, Tumblr, Swarm, and other apps for not stealing my battery life.

Mailbox is a really cool app, I love to use it. But since it was bought by Dropbox, the updates have been very infrequent. It still lacks support for the new iPhones, and there's plenty of other stuff that could be improved.
Still, with all this, I think it's the best mail app.

HowZatOZ

Banned
So, I'm not sure if this is just happening to only our household devices, but iOS 9 is pinging our router something chronic. Anytime one of the iPhone's or iPad is connected to WiFi it sends pings up to astronomical levels in multiple games and through normal ping tests, slowly going back down before it spikes again minutes later.

Is this something to do with the background refreshing or just iOS 9 being shit?

Ninja Dom

What's the criteria for the News app? It's just launched with 9.1 here in the UK🇬🇧. Is it iPhone only?

🙄🦄🎫💻🖥⚔

RedSwirl

I guess this is the best place to ask: What's the best software for sending voice memos to other people? Is it okay to just use the voice memo function in iMessage? The memos are probably going to be pretty long.

Actually, the software being iOS isn't a major necessity, Windows is also okay. It's just that this is the only thread on GAF where it felt right to ask.

9.1 doesn't seem to crash anymore.

For a while there, Safari was crashing regularly. It would freeze while typing a Url then go black then desktop.

btw anyone have a solution for gmail integration with mail client that isn't really slow?

I have it set to manually check for new mail, because I prefer that, and when I do so it takes forever to
a) show that there is new mail
b) open the message when there is new mail in bold

It's really slow. It has been like this for ages. A long time ago, many IOS releases ago, it was not this slow. Personally I think it might be a subtle plot by gmail to screw up the experience unless you use their mail client.

Aurizen

few things I wish they change... When listening to music the sound lowers when opening facebook or a text message comes in. I would have to close facebook to make my sound go back to normal. And when taking a picture my music stops and when my phone rings it doesn't ring in the headphones... Its all annoying I hope that is addressed.

Xenoflare

How's 9.1 on iPhone 6? Are there still app launch/multitask stutters and spotlight/message quick reply lags?

I'm still waiting on 8.4.1 after the first iOS 9 update ruined the experience for me.

Top Bottom