• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So far no freezes. So far. Oh god I hope it's fixed. The update was so small. Only 20MB.

Though the weird touch areas on the lock screen music player (That have been around forever and not just 9.1) are still annoying. Numerous times I try to hit Pause and it thinks I hit Next. Or I try to lower the volume and it thinks I'm pressing Play/Pause. They're so misaligned and it doesn't make sense why.

hirokazu

Though the weird touch areas on the lock screen music player (That have been around forever and not just 9.1) are still annoying. Numerous times I try to hit Pause and it thinks I hit Next. Or I try to lower the volume and it thinks I'm pressing Play/Pause. They're so misaligned and it doesn't make sense why.

I think it's because the tap targets are too small with little clearance between them.

Some weirdness in iOS 9. I used to be able to Open In the Goodreader app, and now that option isn't there.

Any clues? Is it just Goodreader that has to update?

mrkgoo

Found a bug - some videos I've recorded on pre -ios9 play back with cut off framing. Perhaps it's some old portrait orientation ones playing back in landscape?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Nope. iOS 9.1 does not fix the freezing at all. For fucks sake. iOS 9 is the most disappointing thing since my son. #Plinkett #RedLetterMedia

Absolutely no explanation for the freezing. No idea what causes it. And no way to replicate it enough to be able to provide useful feedback other than "it freezes at random". Maybe sending logs will help but that's all I can really do. Is no one else having the same freezing I am? I'd love to record it with a camera or screen recording but it's unpredictable and no way to be prepared for it.

Is no one else having the same freezing I am? I'd love to record it with a camera or screen recording but it's unpredictable and no way to be prepared for it.
I have not experienced a single lockup on my 6s+ with 9.1, and that is heavy use both at work and at home. I forget, what model iPhone are you on? Not that that should matter, just curious.

Esqueleto

Banned
I have not experienced a single lockup on my 6s+ with 9.1, and that is heavy use both at work and at home. I forget, what model iPhone are you on? Not that that should matter, just curious.
I notice it on my dad's 6+. 6s works perfect. It will just freeze while switching apps for a second or two and the frame rate is really low when it doesn't freeze.

FerranMG

Fleksy FTW.

I just confirmed that in 9.1 Apple made the caps key glyph insanely big when caps are active.
They keep making crazy changes to it, lol.

Sun Drugs

Curious to know which keyboard everyone is using?

Been rocking swiftkey since it's launch

Anyone know how it compares to the Android version? I just upgraded from an HTC One to a 6S and prefer using SwiftKey on Android over the stock 6S keyboard, but the iOS version doesn't seem to be as good (based on reading a limited amount of info online).

Blackhead

Redarse
Curious to know which keyboard everyone is using?

Been rocking swiftkey since it's launch

So I want three key features on my smartphone keyboard:
  • Swiping — I think this is best/fastest for one-handed** use (on smaller phones) and getting into a flow state
    2R8w8ez.gif
  • Cursor control — Move the cursor without leaving the keyboard to use Apple's magnification tool
  • Select and transform — select text and cut/copy/paste etc
    Unfortunately Apple doesn't allow third party keyboards to select text/cut/copy. Pasting from the clipboard is also limited...

So the keyboard I want to use is Nintype. It supports swiping. It supports not just the left-right cursor control but up-down (four way) movement. It even supports swiping quick delete and undo! I love using those features:
and although selection/transformation is limited by Apple's restrictions, Nintype also supports some nifty tricks like capitalization:

However I hesitate to recommend Nintype because it is a overwhelming app with almost too many features. This is how it appears to beginners:
I first learnt to use a swiping keyboard with Swype (on Android) and prefer its simple one-handed use**. Nintype defaults to an advanced two-handed operation. I dove deep into the manual and configured it as best I could to operate like swype (as in my gif above) and disabled as many unwanted features as possible but I still inadvertently launch a menu every now and then (every key can launch an edit mode - pure insanity). There's a proposal to release a simpler version of Nintype but for now I have to use an alternative.

My backup simpler keyboard is Typiora. It's 'free' but a little weird; it's linked to some Facebook game and makes money selling themes and coins. Needless to say I didn't grant it Full Access and didn't link a Facebook account but it seems to work regardless. It supports most of the same features as Nintype: swiping, quick delete and undo (I actually discovered this feature in Typiora first before noticing it in Nintype :0), text case control etc. It doesn't work as well as Nintype though; it is slower and less accurate. I turned off almost all the advanced features, swiping included, and use it as though it were a slightly advanced form of the stock keyboard with cursor control & quick delete/swipe undo.

So the two keyboards I want to use are Nintype and Typiora. However the keyboard I end up using the most is the stock Apple keyboard simply because third party keyboards just keep crashing all the damn time. I even had the Notes app in my dock for a while because it was the only sure-fire remedy for launching a disappeared third party keyboard. Every third party keyboard falls victim to Apple's RAM restrictions. It's unfortunate that the many talented keyboard developers are shackled from delivering their best work on iOS; every multi-platform keyboard (Swype, Swiftype etc) is much better on Android. It's a goddam disgrace that Apple hasn't fixed these issues on iOS9 and I'm tempted to switch...

**NB: while I personally prefer one-handed typing, others may prefer two-handed typing in portrait mode (especially on the larger iPhone 6+) in which case Nintype's two-handed typing mode — the only such swiping keyboard available — is the best option out there

Addendum: review of iOS stock keyboard
  • Swiping — hahahaha... nope
  • Cursor control — shitty left+right arrows keys on iPhone*+ landscape keyboard. modal 3D touch sliding on iPhone 6s/+ (requires pressure and a slight delay compared to simple sliding on space key as above)
  • Select and transform — shitty cut/copy/paste only on iPhone*+ landscape keyboard. modal 3D touch sliding on iPhone 6s/+ (requires pressure and a long delay; harder to use one handed).
Verdict:
wgKlkwN.gif

gamma

Agreed. The stock keyboard is ass for me because the word prediction is garbage and it doesn't do multi-language. But the performance of 3rd party keyboards isnt as good as the stock one so I'm forced to use it.

Updating my old iPad 2 to iOS 9 just killed my iPad with the error message 9.

Try to fix it the next week but it doesn't help it's time to move to another company.

I'm using Fleksy mostly because of the one handed mode for my 6 Plus. I find it works ok but I think I'd probably just stick with the default keyboard if I had a regular 6.

Vyer

3D touch cursor control looks way better than any of those other implementations.

Custom keyboards on ios seem to suck in general though, tried a few but way too buggy back at the first implementation. Not sure if there's been much improvement since.

Windows phone keyboard still the best with straight typing/suggestions. Cut/Paste/Cursor I still vastly prefer on iOS though.

Kito

Gave the fb app another shot after their alleged fix, only to delete it again after the SAME obscene amount of background activity. Garbage.

Dalek

I'm getting fed up with something and I hope someone has a solution. I hate the music app in ios9. For 8 years how I used music in iOS-it allowed me to choose what music from my library appeared on my phone.

Now with Apple Music being shoved down my throat, it seems there no way to disable it.

You have to be signed into "my music" regardless and that shows every album you've ever purchased. I don't want to see music I purchased for my daughter or wife over the years. If I sign out of that, so I can just use the music app the way I've done for 8 years, I'm now signed out of the App Store-requiring me to sign back in with my Apple ID anytime I want an app. Which in turn signs me back into "My Music" and starts this all over again. It's fucking infuriating.

Is there any way around this without manually hiding every album I ever bought, or do I need an alternative music app?

I'm getting fed up with something and I hope someone has a solution. I hate the music app in ios9. For 8 years how I used music in iOS-it allowed me to choose what music from my library appeared on my phone.

Now with Apple Music being shoved down my throat, it seems there no way to disable it.

You have to be signed into "my music" regardless and that shows every album you've ever purchased. I don't want to see music I purchased for my daughter or wife over the years. If I sign out of that, so I can just use the music app the way I've done for 8 years, I'm now signed out of the App Store-requiring me to sign back in with my Apple ID anytime I want an app. Which in turn signs me back into "My Music" and starts this all over again. It's fucking infuriating.

Is there any way around this without manually hiding every album I ever bought, or do I need an alternative music app?

Are you a subscriber to Apple Music?

If not, go to Settings > Music and turn off Show Apple Music and turn off iCloud Music Library. With iCloud Music Library turned off, you will then be able to sync it with iTunes on your computer. I think doing this should turn off looking at your iTunes purchases.

For good measure, you can also disable Apple Music Connect through Settings > General > Restrictions > turn off Apple Music Connect. That way Playlists shows up as a tab on the bottom instead of Connect. A lot easier than going to My Music and swiping to the playlists.

Hope this helps!

Dalek

Are you a subscriber to Apple Music?

If not, go to Settings > Music and turn off Show Apple Music and turn off iCloud Music Library. With iCloud Music Library turned off, you will then be able to sync it with iTunes on your computer. I think doing this should turn off looking at your iTunes purchases.

For good measure, you can also disable Apple Music Connect through Settings > General > Restrictions > turn off Apple Music Connect. That way Playlists shows up as a tab on the bottom instead of Connect. A lot easier than going to My Music and swiping to the playlists.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice, but I already tried all these. It's maddening. I don't get why they would change the way this has operated for 8 years.

Thanks for the advice, but I already tried all these. It's maddening. I don't get why they would change the way this has operated for 8 years.

You're right. I just tried it myself. While it worked initially the pop up to sign in kept on coming. Once I signed in it was like it was before.

Tendo

Anything going on with imessage? I recently switched back from android about a month ago at 6s launch and today my texts to my wife aren't going through. I get hers but she won't get mine. We are both on 9.1 Any ideas?

Vyer

Anything going on with imessage? I recently switched back from android about a month ago at 6s launch and today my texts to my wife aren't going through. I get hers but she won't get mine. We are both on 9.1 Any ideas?

I would probably check to make sure you are sending messages to her phone number. It's possible to send/receive iMessages to an email contact as well.

Top Bottom