• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Futureman

So I thought a bunch of apps I use were crashy, but I think I just realized it's Swiftkey that is crashing things.

anyone else find when Swiftkey pops up lots of apps will crash? I'm on a 5C and otherwise I'm pretty much totally happy with iOS 9.

KtSlime

Anyone having trouble with the AppStore? I can no longer update apps or even view them in a different store. Now even with Amazon and Starbucks apps they give me a message saying I can't view them. What the hell, when did this happen. I am seriously pissed, to update my apps I have to log out and log in which deletes everything I downloaded in Apple Music and messes with my settings then forces me to redownload all of them. I have never been so annoyed with Apple as I am now.

Vyer

Anyone having trouble with the AppStore? I can no longer update apps or even view them in a different store. Now even with Amazon and Starbucks apps they give me a message saying I can't view them. What the hell, when did this happen. I am seriously pissed, to update my apps I have to log out and log in which deletes everything I downloaded in Apple Music and messes with my settings then forces me to redownload all of them. I have never been so annoyed with Apple as I am now.

What do you mean by 'view them in a different store'?

And with the Starbucks and Amazon apps, are you saying you had the apps and now can't view them? Where are you getting this message?

KtSlime

What do you mean by 'view them in a different store'?

And with the Starbucks and Amazon apps, are you saying you had the apps and now can't view them? Where are you getting this message?

So I downloaded Amazon and Starbucks and other apps using my American account years ago. I always use my Japan account now because it's the account my Apple Music is on. But when I go to update or view an app I purchased with my American account in the store. I get a message like this:
QdCP9NH.jpg

"You can't use this item, the item you have requested currently can not be used on the Japanese Store but can be used on the American Store. Tap 'change Store' and this item will be displayed".

Of course when I change store it deletes all my music... The old behaviour was for Apps that exist in both American and Japanese stores to be accessible.

Is there a way to sync the 1password vault through icloud in windows? Or I'm SOL? I never had this problem with dropbox.

Hmm not sure how that works but the app can sync with iCloud on the phone, but not sure if he Windows program does the same. I'll have to look into it when I get home.

Lexxism

Hmm not sure how that works but the app can sync with iCloud on the phone, but not sure if he Windows program does the same. I'll have to look into it when I get home.
I dont know if Im blind or what but I dont think theres an option where I can sync it unlike the mac version. Never had any problem uploading the 1pw vault to dropbox but Im having problem with icloud.

jimmypython

ios 9.2 public beta 1 has enabled the News app for Canada, apparently?

Or could it be my system language set as US English??

(Iphone 6S 64GB)

edit: now it's gone after rebooting lol....

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hum, I'm not hallucinating... You used to be able to clear reminders from control center and now you can't.. Right?

Do you have to swipe or something now?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Is that 1 password app safe? i need somewhere to store all my passwords, at the moment I'm using notes.

1Password encrypts all your passwords in a locally stored database.
If you're concerned over data safety I suggest you have a look at their FAQ, they explain why things are safe way better than I do. https://support.1password.com/how-safe-is-cloud-sync/

Regardless, using 1Password (or any password manager) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Notes(!).

Red

Just realized you can 3D Touch into task manager from the today view. That's nice.

What's up with reachability not pulling down text message response fields when they are in banners or notifications?

number11

How does the feature where you plug in your headphones work?

If I recently played an album.. It auto loads the next track. If I didn't, it always loads the exact same track.. And the feature never seems to work with podcasts.

Ambitious

For some reason, Touch ID doesn't recognize my index fingers anymore. I've tried deleting the fingerprints and setting them up again, but that didn't help. My thumbs are working just fine, as they always have.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No sure if this is the place but I'll ask anyway - for taking videos offline for a flight, would you recommend plex sync (which I still don't fully understand how it works), or air video HD and downloading them? I don't have air video installed but I hear good things. But if I download to the iPad will it convert to a native format (to save battery)?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm 99% sure AirvideoHD converts the videos before it downloads them. Though now that I'm really thinking about it all the transcoding happens on the PC either way so it won't affect the battery either way.

My vote is for AVHD it's lightweight and consistently updated. Been around for years too. I only use it to watch anime on my CRT but it's fine app.

dLMN8R

I'm loving my 6S Plus but have a quick question.

Using 3D touch on the left side to activate the app switcher seems like it takes far more pressure than anythign else. Why? I feel like I practically need to break the glass to activate it even though in Accessibility settings I've already set it to Light pressure.

Using 3D touch on the left side to activate the app switcher seems like it takes far more pressure than anythign else. Why? I feel like I practically need to break the glass to activate it even though in Accessibility settings I've already set it to Light pressure.
I can't even get that 3D Touch action to work consistently. It always winds up taking me to the Search page or opening/marking an app for deletion. I don't know if that's a me problem, a function problem, or my screen protector is the issue. As such, I don't even use it. Double-pressing the Home button is so much quicker for me.

Red

Are you pressing down on the edge of the display and then swiping over? Don't do that. I kept doing it that way for the first couple weeks I had the phone and I felt the same way. It was inconsistent and required too much pressure. Instead, swipe onto the display from the bezel, applying slight pressure. You should swipe right into the app switcher without any trouble.

Xenoflare

Updated to 9.1 in the end from 8.4.1, iPhone 6

The lags are still here but not as bad as 9.0

The app launch delay is still extremely annoying.

After playing out a 6s in an Apple Store I'm a bit convinced that iOS 9 fixed the bug where iPhone 6 is smooth on iOS 8.

dLMN8R

Are you pressing down on the edge of the display and then swiping over? Don't do that. I kept doing it that way for the first couple weeks I had the phone and I felt the same way. It was inconsistent and required too much pressure. Instead, swipe onto the display from the bezel, applying slight pressure. You should swipe right into the app switcher without any trouble.

Aha! That was it, thanks. I wasn't swiping over at all, just pushing hard with my entire thumb.

New question, not about the phone but about the Twitter app.

The official Twitter app meets my needs so I don't really need any third-party apps. Except for one super-annoying thing it does.

When I have a large timeline to catch up on (like in the morning), Twitter shows the "show more tweets" button. Sometimes it works as expected - I tap that link and it loads all the new tweets above my current view in the timeline so I just continue scrolling up.

Sometimes those it loads all those tweets below my current place in the timeline...which is just stupid. How can I stop that from happening? Is there some rhyme or reason to how this app decides which behavior to use?

Red

If you figure out how to reliably do the keyboard 3Dtouch cursor, let me know. Half the time it gets stuck on a letter, the other half of the time it goes through but I warp the LCD pressing so hard, tying to get things highlighted.

Yeah I'm 99% sure AirvideoHD converts the videos before it downloads them. Though now that I'm really thinking about it all the transcoding happens on the PC either way so it won't affect the battery either way.

My vote is for AVHD it's lightweight and consistently updated. Been around for years too. I only use it to watch anime on my CRT but it's fine app.

Air Video HD is so good.

They also offer a separate app for the new AppleTV for $3.99 so I don't have to AirPlay so much.

Guy.brush

So we inherited an iPad 2 64GB some years ago and with every iOS update it has gotten slower and slower and now with iOS9 the Safari browser is crashprone like I have never seen anything crash. Like NeoGAF crashes on every other page. The device has become unusable pretty much.

Is there any way to get that thing to a usable state again? Do they do this in order for their fans to "upgrade" the the latest device? How shitty is Apple software?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Safari on my iPad Air 2 has suddenly become very sluggish when typing in the address bar. Like its searching for stuff but taking a long time for it. Like individual letters I type don't appear for several seconds. I recently got an iPhone 6s so could it be some odd handoff/continuity thing?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If you figure out how to reliably do the keyboard 3Dtouch cursor, let me know. Half the time it gets stuck on a letter, the other half of the time it goes through but I warp the LCD pressing so hard, tying to get things highlighted.

I press to get it to click into trackpad mode, then ease off the pressure a bit. Then move the cursor and press again to click into select mode. Tbh I don't like selection nearly as much as simple cursor movement (I use that all the time).

Number45

Aha! That was it, thanks. I wasn't swiping over at all, just pushing hard with my entire thumb.

New question, not about the phone but about the Twitter app.

The official Twitter app meets my needs so I don't really need any third-party apps. Except for one super-annoying thing it does.

When I have a large timeline to catch up on (like in the morning), Twitter shows the "show more tweets" button. Sometimes it works as expected - I tap that link and it loads all the new tweets above my current view in the timeline so I just continue scrolling up.

Sometimes those it loads all those tweets below my current place in the timeline...which is just stupid. How can I stop that from happening? Is there some rhyme or reason to how this app decides which behavior to use?
Is it maybe due to the position of the link? Low on the screen and it loads them above, high on the screen it loads them below?

Just a guess, but it seems logical.

So we inherited an iPad 2 64GB some years ago and with every iOS update it has gotten slower and slower and now with iOS9 the Safari browser is crashprone like I have never seen anything crash. Like NeoGAF crashes on every other page. The device has become unusable pretty much.

Is there any way to get that thing to a usable state again? Do they do this in order for their fans to "upgrade" the the latest device? How shitty is Apple software?

The best you can hope for is a restore.

The iPad 2 only has 512MB of RAM. This isn't really Apple's fault in this case. It's just the rapid improvements we've seen in mobile hardware.

dLMN8R

Is it maybe due to the position of the link? Low on the screen and it loads them above, high on the screen it loads them below?

Just a guess, but it seems logical.

It could be. I thought it would work the other way but I guess what you said makes more sense.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It might just be superstition but using the official Twitter app seems kinda crazy.

I prefer twitterific over tweetbot.

Vyer

As mentioned, you want to do the press to activate the free cursor but you don't keep the pressure on. It's like a button push. As long as your thumb/finger is still touching the screen and you don't lift off entirely after activating the cursor you can move freely. Then if you want to highlight, you press again.

Oddly enough I find that the 3D touch app switcher works better for me if I do just 3D touch at the edge of the screen (again, a button press as opposed to a push and hold). The switcher kicks in and then I can swipe.

It might just be superstition but using the official Twitter app seems kinda crazy.

I prefer twitterific over tweetbot.

honestly the main app has made some big improvements, enough that it would (imo) be somewhat tolerable. tweetbot is still my preference though, but it's a lot closer now.

dLMN8R

I don't have many needs out of a Twitter app. I don't need to use multiple accounts, I don't have elaborate searches set up, or anything fancy. I just follow some people, and like to keep up with what those people say. If there's a link to something that sounds interesting and I want to read it later, I Favorite it.

That's really it. And for those needs, the default app works great.

Number45

I'd happily use the default app if not for sponsored tweets, honestly. I like the extra features that Tweetbot gives me but I'm no heavy Twitter user.

Facebook I hardly ever use, Instagram if I could use an alternative to get rid of the sponsored posts I would.

Sean

Banned
I try the official Twitter app every once in a while and I think it's garbage.

- All of the buttons underneath every tweet (reply, retweets & favs with counts) make the timeline feel cluttered as hell.
- I hate the "While you were away..." crap that mixes in old tweets to my timeline
- Main issue, too many promoted tweets. Was sick of seeing constant Kate Upton/Game of War ads or some shitty iPhone apps every couple of tweets.
- They didn't support native share sheets until recently (made it impossible to send links to Pocket for reading later) and they don't support iOS9 SafariViewController so you can't use content blockers.
- I also hate that when you click a link you have to tap the X button in the top right corner, while in other apps like Tweetbot you can just use the swipe back gesture.
- Also it seems they're constantly doing A/B testing so UI shit keeps changing randomly. For example the last few weeks/months it's been going back and forth between stars and hearts for favorites etc. Kind of annoying to me.

Bukana

I try the official Twitter app every once in a while and I think it's garbage.

- All of the buttons underneath every tweet (reply, retweets & favs with counts) make the timeline feel cluttered as hell.
- I hate the "While you were away..." crap that mixes in old tweets to my timeline
- Main issue, too many promoted tweets. Was sick of seeing constant Kate Upton/Game of War ads or some shitty iPhone apps every couple of tweets.
- They didn't support native share sheets until recently (made it impossible to send links to Pocket for reading later) and they don't support iOS9 SafariViewController so you can't use content blockers.
- I also hate that when you click a link you have to tap the X button in the top right corner, while in other apps like Tweetbot you can just use the swipe back gesture.
- Also it seems they're constantly doing A/B testing so UI shit keeps changing randomly. For example the last few weeks/months it's been going back and forth between stars and hearts for favorites etc. Kind of annoying to me.
What's your alternative app? Tweetbot? I like both apps and official app is getting better with each update.

Lucario

Is there a way to make it so Siri doesn't leave the voice recognition window up after a command?

Right now, whenever I want to switch songs in the car and continue using my GPS, I say "Hey Siri, play song X", wait for the song to start playing, then say "Hey Siri, open app waze".

Waze stops working entirely when the Siri app is open, and it often has trouble switching me back once the music starts playing, so I've stopped using Siri in my car for now. Google was no help, and giving multiple commands at once didn't work for me.

Forgive me if the solution is obvious, this is my first iOS device since the 3GS.

Sean

Banned
What's your alternative app? Tweetbot? I like both apps and official app is getting better with each update.

Yeah, I use Tweetbot.

I'll admit that the official Twitter app has been getting better, and it's probably perfectly fine for most people. I do like some of the extra cards that no third party apps have, I like the per-user push notifications, etc. I just find third party apps better in most ways. As someone who owns multiple iDevices too I find Tweetbot's iPad (and now Apple Watch) apps way better than the official Twitter ones on those platforms.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just got an 8bitdo zero in the mail.

It's pretty slick, but it's really cheesy that iOS has this mfi thing and only some games work with it.

Bukana

Yeah, I use Tweetbot.

I'll admit that the official Twitter app has been getting better, and it's probably perfectly fine for most people. I do like some of the extra cards that no third party apps have, I like the per-user push notifications, etc. I just find third party apps better in most ways. As someone who owns multiple iDevices too I find Tweetbot's iPad (and now Apple Watch) apps way better than the official Twitter ones on those platforms.

I use Tweetbot as my main app too even though I tweet rarely and only about interesting stuff or asking for quick help, lol.

Red

Just got an 8bitdo zero in the mail.

It's pretty slick, but it's really cheesy that iOS has this mfi thing and only some games work with it.
I am interested in an NES-style 8bitdo both for my PC and my iPhone, but it seems like it will have limited portable use without a way to attach the phone.

Top Bottom