• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

KtSlime

Just got an 8bitdo zero in the mail.

It's pretty slick, but it's really cheesy that iOS has this mfi thing and only some games work with it.

Yeah, I feel the same way whenever a steam game can't use my controller and I actually have to move to my desk chair to play the game.

Hopefully Apple TV will convince more developers to adopt mfi controllers.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm still having iOS9.x Mail app issues. Particularly with background fetch and notifications :( I was waiting for an email last night missed it because the damn app didn't refresh properly

Ambitious

You know, I've just been little miss iPad lately; there might be a non-universal app that could be what you are looking for.

Ecoute - Beautiful Music Player by PixiApps
https://appsto.re/us/D3caG.i

Thoughts?

I'm using Ecoute. It's alright. But have a look at their latest tweets; development was basically discontinued.

Damn, that sucks.

Perhaps it's time for the return of Track 8?

It's not dead yet. Louka Desroziers, the developer, has sold it to Julien Sagot, the UI designer of Ecoute, who will keep supporting it.

ecoute4up7s.png

Ashhong

So a couple of days ago I woke up with an Apple ID password prompt on my phone, which then for whatever reason had me change my password. That's fine, but then ever since then I have been getting "Please sign into Apple ID" notifications randomly. Not when downloading or anything, just randomly. I tried signing in and out of iCloud, iTunes Store, etc but still happens. Any ideas?

Also, does anybody have issues with Slickdeals app? A lot of the times when I click a deal link from there it opens Safari and says like "Url cannot be shown". Super annoying

Kito

I'm still having iOS9.x Mail app issues. Particularly with background fetch and notifications :( I was waiting for an email last night missed it because the damn app didn't refresh properly

This, and the sneaky background activity, is why I recently switched to the Mailbox app.

So a couple of days ago I woke up with an Apple ID password prompt on my phone, which then for whatever reason had me change my password. That's fine, but then ever since then I have been getting "Please sign into Apple ID" notifications randomly. Not when downloading or anything, just randomly. I tried signing in and out of iCloud, iTunes Store, etc but still happens. Any ideas?

Also, does anybody have issues with Slickdeals app? A lot of the times when I click a deal link from there it opens Safari and says like "Url cannot be shown". Super annoying

I'm on the 9.2 beta and had this happen like 3 times. Stopped doing it a few days ago though.

Hm..I am on 9.2 beta but can't remember if that's when it started. Maybe that's it.

Best I could tell it was happening on mine when I would plug it in to charge. I'm assuming it was trying to back up to iCloud and that's why it was asking for my password. I have no idea why my password didn't stick after the first time I entered it though.

How do I stop the IMDB app from opening, when I browsing the page in my browser? It's really annoying and I can't find the setting for it.

Blackhead

Redarse
How do I stop the IMDB app from opening, when I browsing the page in my browser? It's really annoying and I can't find the setting for it.

There should be a 'view on IMDB' in the top right corner of status bar that links to website. Tapping it should disable future links from opening in the app

LiK

is iMessage working for anyone? it's stuck in sending forever. tried it with 2 different contacts.

edit: nm, rebooted my phone and it works again

I had read that "read receipts" would be a feature that would be added to Group Messages in iMessages in iOS 9.

Did they ever happen? I don't see a way to turn on the option.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
If you figure out how to reliably do the keyboard 3Dtouch cursor, let me know. Half the time it gets stuck on a letter, the other half of the time it goes through but I warp the LCD pressing so hard, tying to get things highlighted.
I've found trying to activate it on a spot in-between keys works a bit better, but ya the getting stuck on a letter part is annoying.

RBH

My iPhone 5 was on iOS7, and I decided to upgrade it to iOS9 recently. During the first day or two of having iOS9 on my phone, I noticed that all of my photos and notes did not show up immediately on my phone, but they slowly repopulated themselves on my phone after a day.

But then a couple of days later, I looked at my Notes section and noticed that all of my old Notes were gone. I thought it had to do with the small amount of available storage space on my phone (less than 500MB), so I decided to delete 1,000 photos from my phone. But after deleting those photos, the available storage space still shows 500MB, and my old Notes are still nowhere to be seen.

Am I screwed? :(

Vyer

My iPhone 5 was on iOS7, and I decided to upgrade it to iOS9 recently. During the first day or two of having iOS9 on my phone, I noticed that all of my photos and notes did not show up immediately on my phone, but they slowly repopulated themselves on my phone after a day.

But then a couple of days later, I looked at my Notes section and noticed that all of my old Notes were gone. I thought it had to do with the small amount of available storage space on my phone (less than 500MB), so I decided to delete 1,000 photos from my phone. But after deleting those photos, the available storage space still shows 500MB, and my old Notes are still nowhere to be seen.

You just did an update? Not like a restore of any sort? Have you rebooted again since the upgrade?

How were you syncing/backing up your phone? iTunes or iCloud?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Photos would re-sync via iCloud.

Notes were previously synced via IMAP but that was changed to iCloud so that's probably the reason they're now gone, something may have gone wrong there - depends a bit on how you were syncing notes to begin with (were they Gmail notes or just locally stored on your iOS device etc.).

RBH

You just did an update? Not like a restore of any sort? Have you rebooted again since the upgrade?

How were you syncing/backing up your phone? iTunes or iCloud?
Yup, just did an update. No restore. When you say "rebooted", do you mean wipe it clean and reset the phone?

I was just backing up via iTunes.

Photos would re-sync via iCloud.

Notes were previously synced via IMAP but that was changed to iCloud so that's probably the reason they're now gone, something may have gone wrong there - depends a bit on how you were syncing notes to begin with (were they Gmail notes or just locally stored on your iOS device etc.).
They were locally stored.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They were locally stored.
Then you might be out of luck, I don't 100% remember the intricacies or if you can somehow salvage old notes.

I do remember that at the time iCloud note syncing was added you opted in to use the new Notes app that then would migrate all your notes over to iCloud. As far as I understand that process is something that now should take place as you upgrade to iOS 9 automatically.

Anyone know of an app that can translate pages in Safari via a Safari Extension? For some reason, Bing Translate no longer works for me. It always says 0%.

Red

A new app, ShareTheMeal, is now available on the App Store. This is a pretty cool charity crowdfunding solution that allows you to donate days worth of food to children in need. It was released by the United Nations, but I can't find much info on efficacy. I donated $3.50 so far (the app says this is seven days worth of food). This is a pretty cool idea–like Johnson and Johnson's photo donation app, it is an easy way to raise large amounts of money with minimal effort, by leveraging smartphone use. I hope more apps like this catch on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
A new app, ShareTheMeal, is now available on the App Store. This is a pretty cool charity crowdfunding solution that allows you to donate days worth of food to children in need. It was released by the United Nations, but I can't find much info on efficacy. I donated $3.50 so far (the app says this is seven days worth of food). This is a pretty cool idea–like Johnson and Johnson's photo donation app, it is an easy way to raise large amounts of money with minimal effort, by leveraging smartphone use. I hope more apps like this catch on.

I was worried that they would use in-app purchasing and be giving Apple 30%, but the app links out to a website for payment so that's good. But isn't that technically in breach of Apple guidelines? Linking out from an app to a website for payment to avoid in-app rev sharing

Vyer

Yup, just did an update. No restore. When you say "rebooted", do you mean wipe it clean and reset the phone?

I was just backing up via iTunes.
d.

no, i mean like a restart of the phone (hold down wake and home buttons and keep them held down until apple logo flashes on screen). sometimes helps to clear things up just like a regular computer.

Are the photos you cleared still gone? Does the storage space still show the same amount? Might also want to check the recently deleted folder and clear it.

Other than that, I don't even remember how to parse out what gets backed up in iTunes. It's been a long time since I've done that. I believe that you can pick and choose stuff like Notes when backing up to iCloud, so it's possible that option wasn't checked in your iTunes if they are gone from your backup?

I was worried that they would use in-app purchasing and be giving Apple 30%, but the app links out to a website for payment so that's good. But isn't that technically in breach of Apple guidelines? Linking out from an app to a website for payment to avoid in-app rev sharing

that's not like a digital service or subscription or anything, so i thought that stuff doesn't relate either way?

Orkidea

So apparently there is multitasking in iOS 9 on non-ipad devices and I'm just blind?

Also where's my News app?

Well I know on iPhone 6s/+ you can hard swipe from the left to reveal app-switching but you can't have 2 apps open at the same time if that's what you are referring too

Purkake4

Banned
Well I know on iPhone 6s/+ you can hard swipe from the left to reveal app-switching but you can't have 2 apps open at the same time if that's what you are referring too
Doesn't seem to work on a gen 6 Touch.

It used to be that the other "open" apps would just save their states, do they actually run in the background now?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Doesn't seem to work on a gen 6 Touch.

It used to be that the other "open" apps would just save their states, do they actually run in the background now?

no. iOS has always prioritized power efficiency. multitasking/backgrounding is actually a complex featureset of heavily restricted services and daemons to accomplish critical tasks while the app is not currently running. its gotten a lot better since os4, and overall i think is smart, but it is still counter-intuitive to people familiar with older operating systems. its one of the many things that makes ios feel particularly cumbersome in its current iteration.

Ashhong

PSA: Purify has issues with the Slickdeals app, at least for me.

If I open a shopping link from Slickdeals app, 75% of the time it will load Safari and say "URL cannot be found" and I could not figure out why.

With the new public beta, if you hold the X/Refresh button it brings up the option to load the page without content blockers, and if I do that the page loads fine. Hallelujah

Number45

PSA: Purify has issues with the Slickdeals app, at least for me.

If I open a shopping link from Slickdeals app, 75% of the time it will load Safari and say "URL cannot be found" and I could not figure out why.

With the new public beta, if you hold the X/Refresh button it brings up the option to load the page without content blockers, and if I do that the page loads fine. Hallelujah
This works in 9.1 as well.

Purkake4

Banned
no. iOS has always prioritized power efficiency. multitasking/backgrounding is actually a complex featureset of heavily restricted services and daemons to accomplish critical tasks while the app is not currently running. its gotten a lot better since os4, and overall i think is smart, but it is still counter-intuitive to people familiar with older operating systems. its one of the many things that makes ios feel particularly cumbersome in its current iteration.
Ok is the split screen on the ipad actual multitasking?

I was so frustrated with how Apple killed their music app removing the functionality I was used too, and a jailbreak is taking too long so I went shopping 3rd party.

I can't believe I didn't know about Marvis, this destroys the stock app in functionality and ease of use.

I'll gladly lay the 0.99 to remove ads, the UI looks great, my quick links to Artists and Albums are back, I can easily swipe right to see more from the album/artist I'm listening too, and the 3D touch easily lets me shuffle my whole library.

Top Bottom