• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

Ambitious

I assume there's no need for me to translate the text to English:

ytggsto.png

Apple should not allow bullshit like this. Developers should be required to provide a complete list of all noteworthy changes for each update.

And if really is just a bunch of minor fixes, then that's fine too! "What's New: Minor fixes." Yes, I get that this doesn't say much more than the non-changelog from the screenshot above, but nonetheless, it would be an actual changelog. The text in the screenshot literally states nothing about the update. And that's bullshit.

Number45

ytggsto.png

Apple should not allow bullshit like this. Developers should be required to provide a complete list of all noteworthy changes for each update.

And if really is just a bunch of minor fixes, then that's fine too! "What's New: Minor fixes." Yes, I get that this doesn't say much more than the non-changelog from the screenshot above, but nonetheless, it would be an actual changelog. The text in the screenshot literally states nothing about the update. And that's bullshit.
Is this like the Facebook/Messenger app update text? "We upgrade our app every week to make sure that we can fuck it up with no good reason keep giving you more great stuff!"

EDIT: Interestingly, on my phone the YT update actually states what it fixes:

* Improved background battery usage
* Easier access to your full subscription list. You can now swipe across the avatars to open your full list of channels

Maybe they can't be bothered to translate?

YouTube shows the update notes for me in English as well. I guess it's not worth the effort to translate those notes in every language if it's not really a major update anyways.

Erebus

So what happens if I use the same Apple ID that I use with my iPhone on a secondary iDevice I own? Will the new device create a different backup on the iCloud or will it overwrite the old?

Ambitious

Is this like the Facebook/Messenger app update text? "We upgrade our app every week to make sure that we can fuck it up with no good reason keep giving you more great stuff!"

EDIT: Interestingly, on my phone the YT update actually states what it fixes:

* Improved background battery usage
* Easier access to your full subscription list. You can now swipe across the avatars to open your full list of channels

Maybe they can't be bothered to translate?

Yes, exactly:
Thank you for using YouTube. We are always optimizing our app. Every few weeks, you can download updates from the App Store. You can set up automatic updates by enabling 'Updates' in 'Settings' > 'iTunes & App Store' > 'Automatic Updates'. We will also inform you here about other new features as soon as they're available.

I don't think it's about translation effort. Occasionally, they do actually include the changes. But most of the time, it's just this default text above.

Spotify has been doing the same thing since a while:
We’re always making changes and improvements to Spotify. To make sure you don’t miss a thing, just keep your Updates turned on.

I also hate it when developers do the opposite and include a goddamn novel. Take the last 1Password update (v6.1.1), for instance:
Greetings, true believers! Thank you to everyone who has reached out to us about 1Password 6.1 — it's great to hear that you love All Vaults and 1Password for Teams as much as we do! We also appreciate you telling us about a snafu in 6.1 causing 1Password to crash for some of you. This release addresses that crash. Thanks again, and as always, stay smart, stay shiny, and stay secure.

TL;DR
- Fixed an issue where 1Password would crash immediately after unlock.

== What’s New in 1Password 6.1, The Unity Edition ==

It’s time to let you in on a secret. For months, everyone at AgileBits has been hard at work on an incredible new addition to the 1Password family: 1Password for Teams. With 1Password for Teams, everyone gets the simple, convenient security of 1Password, and you get the tools you need to control and manage access to your most important information. Visit teams.1password.com to learn more about our awesome new product.

Not only have we baked 1Password for Teams right into the very core of 1Password for iOS, we’ve also added features that bring some new shiny to the app you’ve come to love and trust! 1Password 6.1 gives you the ability to view all of your items across vaults and introduces support for 1Password for Teams. Keeping everything and everyone together has never been so easy!

== TL;DR ==
- An "All Vaults" view so you can get to any of your items, no matter which vault they’re in.
- Support for 1Password for Teams accounts.
- Little improvements here and there to show you just how much we care.

== All Vaults ==
When you have more than one vault, it can be really easy to forget where you’ve saved what, which can make it a bit complicated to find the item you're looking for. Now, you can view and search all of your items in all of your vaults by using All Vaults. But what if the whole reason you created a separate vault was to keep its items out of your way? No problem! If you don't want to include absolutely everything, go to Settings > Vaults > All Vaults and switch off the vaults you don't want to include. And would you look at how pretty that new All Vaults icon is?! I feel like a unicorn just looking at it.

== 1Password for Teams ==
If you've already scored a new 1Password for Teams account, you'll need a way to view those vaults on your pocket computers! To add a new account or manage an existing one, go to Settings > 1Password for Teams. Welcome and enjoy!

== A Care Package, from Us to You ==
From new and improved translations to better performance for humungo vaults, we sweat the details so you don't have to!

== We Love You ==
We value your workflow too much to prompt you for a review. If you feel generous or have a couple of minutes, please take some time to leave a rating and review on the App Store. It makes a huge difference to us. Thank you so very much.

We love hearing from you! Get in touch with us at discussions.agilebits.com, @1Password on Twitter, and facebook.com/1Password.

Over 500 words? Come on, guys. Do you really have to include the changelog of the last major version in every single minor update? And why is it so goddamn wordy? Remove everything but the TL;DR bullet points.

This wouldn't be necessary if the App Store would not just display the changelog of the latest version, but the changelogs of all versions newer than the installed one.

sangreal

Yes, exactly:

I don't think it's about translation effort. Occasionally, they do actually include the changes. But most of the time, it's just this default text above.

I also hate it when developers do the opposite and include a goddamn novel. Take the last 1Password update (v6.1.1), for instance:

Over 500 words? Come on, guys. Do you really have to include the changelog of the last major version in every single minor update? And why is it so goddamn wordy? Remove everything but the TL;DR bullet points.

This wouldn't be necessary if the App Store would not just display the changelog of the latest version, but the changelogs of all versions newer than the installed one.

ios changelogs are the worst. everyone trying to be funny and shit instead of just listing what is changed

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

ios changelogs are the worst. everyone trying to be funny and shit instead of just listing what is changed
But the 1Password guys love us. Isn't that enough justification?

Vyer

Yes, exactly:

So you hate no information and too much information. :p

I'll take too much information every time. Some companies like Facebook and most Google stuff don't give anything at all, and it sucks. I can skim paragraphs if needed and pull information if it comes to that.

Honestly, as someone who has multiple mobile platforms, iOS has it better for the most part. The devs that don't say shit on iOS do the same elsewhere, but the rest are much more detailed on this platform for whatever reason.

Futureman

Anyone know why SwiftKey isn't working in Chrome for me? I don't even get the little globe icon to change keyboards. Works in every other app just fine.

EmiPrime

On Android it's quick and easy to swipe dismiss notifications and you can see which applications have notifications in the status bar (they appear as app icons). Also if you dismiss a notification on one device it dismisses them on all your devices, I can do this from my Mac even.

Notifications is one area where Android is lightyears ahead of iOS.

Eh, I like it. I can see all the notifications without unlocking my phone.

It's possible to expand lock screen notifications on Android when there are multiples from one app so you can see the individual ones. Besides always having your texts visible on your lock screen is a potential security risk; Your two factor codes will be visible too. I have the contents of my sensitive notifications (texts, email etc.) hidden on my lock screen while still alerting me to their presence.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
No unfortunately not right now. Would be nice as a third option next to sorting by app and date. Suggest it to Apple. Though they'd need more than just one person asking them to do it. Also, on iOS at least you can set Text Messages to not show the message so security isn't a problem if you need it.

I prefer having them all shown personally and the first thing I do in the morning is scroll my lock screen for green icons to see if I missed anything. Which brings up a point about YouTube changing their icon. Icons are important. Apple hates them. No favicons in Safari is ridiculous. You need icons to tell at a glance what something is. So YouTube changing their icon from the recognizable solid red icon to the white one makes it stand out less in my notifications list. Twitch has an unmistakable purple icon. I think FaceBook Messenger should invert theirs to white on blue to make theirs also unmistakable. As long as they change the color to the FaceBook blue so it doesn't clash with Twitter's unique blue. Ugh, if Twitter and FaceBook decide to invert their icons to white backgrounds I'm gonna be so mad. It's bad enough I have the amount of bland white icons I have now. It makes me wish icons could just have no background like Android if they're gonna abuse the colors like this. At least shapes would be just as recognizable. I feel like UX is taking a steep turn to the wrong direction now in the name of looks.

Ambitious

Which app would you recommend to keep track of the TV shows I'm watching? In particular, I would like to be notified of upcoming episodes. That's pretty much my only requirement, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't use any other features.

There's iShows 2 (iTunes), which I tried a few weeks ago. As far as I remember, the UI was pretty confusing, which is why I deleted it again. But I'm gonna give it another chance.

Another one I've found is TeeVee* (iTunes), which looks really, really sleek. It's $2.99, so I haven't tried it yet.

Other search results are iTV Shows (iTunes) and TVShow Time (iTunes), but I haven't yet had a closer look at them. The latter does have the best rating of those four, though. (4.5 stars)

*Have fun scrolling down on their site. Fucking hell, this shit is the worst.

meshwork

Which app would you recommend to keep track of the TV shows I'm watching? In particular, I would like to be notified of upcoming episodes. That's pretty much my only requirement, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't use any other features.

There's iShows 2 (iTunes), which I tried a few weeks ago. As far as I remember, the UI was pretty confusing, which is why I deleted it again. But I'm gonna give it another chance.

Another one I've found is TeeVee* (iTunes), which looks really, really slick. It's $2.99, so I haven't tried it yet.

Other search results are iTV Shows (iTunes) and TVShow Time (iTunes), but I haven't yet had a closer look at them. The latter does have the best rating of those four, though. (4.5 stars)

*Have fun scrolling down on their site. Fucking hell, this shit is the worst.

I have used both TeeVee and iShows, and from those two I very much preferred using iShows. They both offer a very similar set of features, so it mainly comes down to which style of presentation you prefer. Personally, I found iShows to be a lot better because I can have favourite shows in a separate tab and somehow the list of shows that TeeVee uses just didn't feel good on my iPhone (it's less of an issue on my iPad). I agree that TeeVee looks very sleek, but somehow it still fails to just work and get out of your way.

In terms of notifications for upcoming shows these apps have slight differences: iShows lets you decide on a specific time to be notified or just have an offset for the actual air time. TeeVee, however, only offers the latter. So if you prefer to have a notification pop up for today's shows at 6 pm every day (or whatever time you prefer), definitely go with iShows.

The other two apps you linked look worse in my opinion and I can't come up with a reason why you'd want to go with either of those over iShows/TeeVee.

And yeah, that website is absolutely hideous to browse.

Ambitious

I have used both TeeVee and iShows, and from those two I very much preferred using iShows. They both offer a very similar set of features, so it mainly comes down to which style of presentation you prefer. Personally, I found iShows to be a lot better because I can have favourite shows in a separate tab and somehow the list of shows that TeeVee uses just didn't feel good on my iPhone (it's less of an issue on my iPad). I agree that TeeVee looks very sleek, but somehow it still fails to just work and get out of your way.

In terms of notifications for upcoming shows these apps have slight differences: iShows lets you decide on a specific time to be notified or just have an offset for the actual air time. TeeVee, however, only offers the latter. So if you prefer to have a notification pop up for today's shows at 6 pm every day (or whatever time you prefer), definitely go with iShows.

The other two apps you linked look worse in my opinion and I can't come up with a reason why you'd want to go with either of those over iShows/TeeVee.

And yeah, that website is absolutely hideous to browse.

Thank you for that helpful post. In the meantime, I spent some time with iShows and watched a review of TeeVee.

I had a few issues with iShow's UI, but I think I figured everything out now. The app's actually pretty nice. I wish there were more options for the notification offset, though. The earliest possible setting is three hours before the start of an episode. I'd rather get notified a bit earlier. But that's just a minor thing. Doesn't really matter.

Another thing that bothers me is how you set a different poster for some show: Instead of showing all available pictures in some kind of grid view, you have to swipe through them one by one, even if you open the image selection in fullscreen. Annoying. But it's not like I change posters all the time, so I can live with that. The posters are not synced between devices, though, which sucks. Speaking of sync:
iShows said:
You just added a TV show, let's say, Mr. Robot, on your iPhone. You watch the awesome pilot and mark it as seen. A few days later, you are so comfortable on your couch that you decide to mark the second Mr. Robot episode as watched from your iPad. So you grab it, open iShows and you see that Mr. Robot is not there...

Why? That may seem like really inconvenient and we absolutely agree that the ideal solution would be to automatically add or remove every TV Show that has been added or removed from other iOS devices. The problem about that is that it would add a super crazy layer of complexity that would make iShows behave in unexpected ways. You would probably open iShows and start seeing a lot of TV Shows added or removed that you might not expect. Sync is hard, really hard. It's very easy to do it wrong. Simple is better.

Come on. This is ridiculous. So there's no sync because they couldn't figure it out?
This only refers to Trakt.tv sync, by the way. The app supports iCloud, but only for storing backups, not syncing.

In general, iShows seems fine to me. But I really don't feel like shelling out $4 for an app that requires me to enter and maintain my data on all of my devices separately. The quote above doesn't really sound like they will ever add proper syncing.

As for TeeVee: Does it only have this vertical fanart list? Is there no grid view or poster view?

edit: Update 2.1 added full Trakt sync. Seems they forgot to update their website.

hirokazu

ytggsto.png

Yeah, I hate apps that do this. Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube. Fucking tell us about what's new before we update, you cunts.

meshwork

As for TeeVee: Does it only have this vertical fanart list? Is there no grid view or poster view?.

Vertical list is all you get with TeeVee it seems. It does offer you the option of hiding the names and changing the sorting and stuff like that, but the customisation in TeeVee is not that great.

kuppy

So if I change my Apple ID country and download an app that is only available in that region. Will I then still get updates for it if I go back to the store that doesn't feature it?

Ambitious

I tried Swiftkey and Swype again for the first time since back then when they were released.

Swype typing accuracy is fine with both, in my experience. Swiftkey has terrible performance, though, and Swype has a weird keyboard layout for special characters. Also, instead of showing the numbers button in the bottom left corner, Swype displays a dedicated menu button there. The numbers button is right next to it, but I keep accidentally tapping the menu button.
Tapping it doesn't even do anything. You have to tap and hold to make the menu appear.

Anyway, after spending some time with them, I have to say they're both very frustrating, albeit in different ways. Back to the built-in keyboard.

Vertical list is all you get with TeeVee it seems. It does offer you the option of hiding the names and changing the sorting and stuff like that, but the customisation in TeeVee is not that great.

Ah, that's disappointing.

Erebus

I tried Swiftkey and Swype again for the first time since back then when they were released.

Swype typing accuracy is fine with both, in my experience. Swiftkey has terrible performance, though, and Swype has a weird keyboard layout for special characters. Also, instead of showing the numbers button in the bottom left corner, Swype displays a dedicated menu button there. The numbers button is right next to it, but I keep accidentally tapping the menu button.
Tapping it doesn't even do anything. You have to tap and hold to make the menu appear.

Anyway, after spending some time with them, I have to say they're both very frustrating, albeit in different ways. Back to the built-in keyboard.
I'm perfectly content with Fleksy after using it for quite some time now.

It doesn't do swipe typing mind you, but still once you get used to the way it works you'll type way faster than with the stock keyboard. Plus, I barely -if ever- have encountered any performance issues with it since iOS 9.1

giga

Reeder 3 out: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/reeder-3/id697846300?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

What's new:
- Instapaper as a sync service
- Safari View Controller for in-app browsing
- iOS 9 split view support
- 3D Touch support for article previewing in the article list
- Support for iPad Pro
- List font size options
- Font options for the article viewer
- Updated UI
- Unread and starred counts for smart folders
- Hide smart folders in unread/starred view if there are no unread/starred items
- New “Archive” folder in “All items” view mode which only shows read items (no unread or starred)

Ambitious

Vyer

I see that the Amazon Video app added PiP support, but for the life of me I can't see where to activate it on my Air 2

EDIT:

Looks like it's supposed to use slide over too but it's not there. Hmm. Even reinstalled the app.

On a related note, they're going to need a better way to organize apps for multitasking as the list grows.

Ambitious

I'm perfectly content with Fleksy after using it for quite some time now.

It doesn't do swipe typing mind you, but still once you get used to the way it works you'll type way faster than with the stock keyboard. Plus, I barely -if ever- have encountered any performance issues with it since iOS 9.1

I've been using it for a few days now. Unfortunately, performance issues are present. When I tap a text field, there's a delay before the keyboard appears. Sometimes it's just a split second, other times it takes several seconds. From time to time, it doesn't appear at all. When this happens, the stock keyboard usually shows up after two seconds or so, so I assume this means it crashed.

As for the actual typing: I'm not used to the slightly different key spacing and positions, so I make typing errors all the time. The swipe gestures to add a space, use backspace or select a word suggestion are nice, but I'm still faster with the stock keyboard.
The extension concept is interesting, though. Moving the cursor using the spacebar is amazing.

So out of three keyboards I tested, two have regular performance issues. The other one (Swype) is mostly fine, but there are (very) infrequent hickups. I guess it's safe to assume the problem is not the developers, but Apple's implementation for third party keyboards. Which isn't really surprising to me. It was obvious from the get-go that they just wanted to take away a bullet point from Android. Just like so many other things, they will never ever touch this API again and just let it rot.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there any way to keep favourite contacts floated to the top in messages? I get quite a lot of spam or other marketing nonsense that means my actual personal messages often fall off the bottom of the screen. I'd much prefer to have them pinned to the top if possible, or at least have something like the favourites contacts in the phone dialler

KtSlime

I see that the Amazon Video app added PiP support, but for the life of me I can't see where to activate it on my Air 2

EDIT:

Looks like it's supposed to use slide over too but it's not there. Hmm. Even reinstalled the app.

On a related note, they're going to need a better way to organize apps for multitasking as the list grows.

That's strange, it hasn't been updated since October on my account. It'd be much more useful with the PiP.

Boogiepop

I'm not sure when it started doing this, but is there a way to turn off the "feature" where I'm assuming it's automatically managing storage space on the iPhone by booting stuff off and making you redownload it? I'd prefer to manage that myself rather than just always seeing some music I want to listen to while I'm out now needs to be redownloaded...

Majine

Banned
Yeah, I hate apps that do this. Facebook, Pinterest, YouTube. Fucking tell us about what's new before we update, you cunts.

What's happening here is that the bigger companies like Google and Facebook are trickling out new features to a subsection of users to sort of beta test it, and then either expand it to every user or abandon the feature without risking major blowback. But the update log can't be set differently to different users. It's just one log for everyone. So they said "fuck it".

There's no way to permanently request for a website to load its desktop version is there...?
Mobile sites feel unnecessary on the Plus, but having to 'Request Desktop Site' every visit, every day, seemingly forever will get majorly annoying.

KtSlime

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/24/amazon-video-new-features-on-ios/

But like I said, for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to work lol.

For some reason my region or my iPad says 3.2.3 is the latest release, which is a shame. I would use my iPad much more in commute if I could both check my email and watch video. But as it is I just use my phone because I can only do one at a time on both devices. I guess I wait. I had no idea that different regions can have different versions.

Tom Nook

Help!

Not getting email notifications on my iphone. I got an Iphone 5 with recent IOS 9.1.

Here's what I already did:
Made sure notifications are turn on
Made sure email setting is set to push
reset the phone a few times

I hate to opening the email app every hour so to check if I have emails. I would like to convenience of the notification.

Is there something I'm missing? Thanks

FerranMG

Help!

Not getting email notifications on my iphone. I got an Iphone 5 with recent IOS 9.1.

Here's what I already did:
Made sure notifications are turn on
Made sure email setting is set to push
reset the phone a few times

I hate to opening the email app every hour so to check if I have emails. I would like to convenience of the notification.

Is there something I'm missing? Thanks

Do you have a gmail account?
If so, You're not getting email notifications, or you're not getting email PUSH notifications?
I think push for gmail was disabled some time ago for iOS.
Try changing email to fetch every 15 minutes and see what happens.
Or use a third party client such as Mailbox, which does support push.

Red

Anyone know if it is possible to play all songs for a search result in Apple Music? Or even play all by an artist. Am I really stuck only playing individual albums?

Top Bottom