• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 9: More than meets the eye

KtSlime

I don't think I understand where you are talking about. My iPhone shows 4, however vertically my mini shows 5 and horizontally it shows 6. We're talking about the Siri recommendations right? Not sure why others are limited to 4.

Red

I don't think I understand where you are talking about. My iPhone shows 4, however vertically my mini shows 5 and horizontally it shows 6. We're talking about the Siri recommendations right? Not sure why others are limited to 4.
I posted a picture above.

So here's a fun game! I tried to attach a very, very large video file (>10GB) to an email, before realizing "Wait a second, there's no way this is going to work, this is a dumb idea". So I quit the operation. However, now when I go to see what's taking up most of the space on my phone, I see this:

1NAiIan.jpg

I don't have 10GB of mail. I use my iCloud mail as my only email address, so in reality, I can safely say that I legitimately only have 23MB of mail on my account. Yes, MB. But it says I have 10GB of attachments, which is false, since I don't. If I go to my mail, there's no attachments there, my huge video was never added to anything (not even a Draft message). I assume it was cached somewhere which is why it's taking up all that space (or why iOS is thinking it's taking up all that space). Is there any way to delete that cache without having to wipe my phone and restore from a backup? That's sort of my last resort here

CraigMcD

So here's a fun game! I tried to attach a very, very large video file (>10GB) to an email, before realizing "Wait a second, there's no way this is going to work, this is a dumb idea". So I quit the operation. However, now when I go to see what's taking up most of the space on my phone, I see this:

1NAiIan.jpg

I don't have 10GB of mail. I use my iCloud mail as my only email address, so in reality, I can safely say that I legitimately only have 23MB of mail on my account. Yes, MB. But it says I have 10GB of attachments, which is false, since I don't. If I go to my mail, there's no attachments there, my huge video was never added to anything (not even a Draft message). I assume it was cached somewhere which is why it's taking up all that space (or why iOS is thinking it's taking up all that space). Is there any way to delete that cache without having to wipe my phone and restore from a backup? That's sort of my last resort here
Turn off Mail syncing on your iPhone so it recovers the space. Then turn it back on.

Red

I have 6 recent Siri suggestions again. I don't know what triggers this. If it's a bug, it's one that actually improves usability. Really should be a feature.

What's up with yours?
I stupidly nuked some files I shouldn't have with a dodgy phone manager app, and had to restore from a backup, but the only recent backup I have is on iCloud and it's taking *forever* to get my apps back. My own fault.

Lesson learned: always keep an up-to-date encrypted local backup.

I stupidly nuked some files I shouldn't have with a dodgy phone manager app, and had to restore from a backup, but the only recent backup I have is on iCloud and it's taking *forever* to get my apps back. My own fault.

Lesson learned: always keep an up-to-date encrypted local backup.

My first restore from backup locked up so I had to wipe again and start over. The process takes a few hours, especially if you have 98 apps like I do

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So, I keep my phone on silent at all times. I like everything on mute, you never now when a weird sound could play. If you tap the wrong app and a games menu starts playing, you never know.

But I do sorta miss keyboard clicks? Is there a way to have everything on the phone silenced but the keyboard?

FerranMG

So, I keep my phone on silent at all times. I like everything on mute, you never now when a weird sound could play. If you tap the wrong app and a games menu starts playing, you never know.

But I do sorta miss keyboard clicks? Is there a way to have everything on the phone silenced but the keyboard?

I don't think so.
Volume options are a joke in iOS. They should be much more accessible.
I have my phone silenced at all times. I still don't get why pressing the volume rocker will sometimes affect the ringer volume and sometimes the volume of videos/music/etc.
This means, for example, that while browsing Twitter and opening a video, sometimes it will start playing at top volume before I have time to silence it.

I still don't get why pressing the volume rocker will sometimes affect the ringer volume and sometimes the volume of videos/music/etc.
Volume affects ringer if no audio is playing, and affects audio level if some is playing.

This means, for example, that while browsing Twitter and opening a video, sometimes it will start playing at top volume before I have time to silence it.
In some apps (depends how they are written) videos are exempt from mute and will punch through at whatever volume level you have set outside of mute switch.

If you want total mute, you need to flip the switch and the set the volume level to zero.

FerranMG

Volume affects ringer if no audio is playing, and affects audio level if some is playing.

In some apps (depends how they are written) videos are exempt from mute and will punch through at whatever volume level you have set outside of mute switch.

If you want total mute, you need to flip the switch and the set the volume level to zero.

Do we agree that this is completely unintuitive? :D
Thanks for the explanation, though.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
iOS needs a volume center like Windows has. Where you can go and manually change all the volume settings for the dozens of separate settings that all are able to be controlled by the same two buttons on a contextual level. Because sometimes you have no idea what volume you'll be changing.

Just give us a list of all the separate "things" that have volume settings; Ringer, Siri, music, and all the miscellaneous apps that have their own setting. When an app is installed that lets you control its volume separately, register it in the list like apps do with other things. Then we'll never have that moment of confusion again.

Once you understand how it works, it makes total sense, though. Not sure what they could do to improve it. Works the same in Android.
This sort of volume control system works the same on my car radio navigation.

When announcer is speaking volume dial controls that.
Otherwise volume dial controls music volume.
Mute mutes music.
Announcer punches through, and you can still control its volume relative to music independently.
Announcer has separate "off" toggle.
Adjusting volume of music whilst muted and no announcer unmutes.

This is all as it should be.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Once you understand how it works, it makes total sense, though. Not sure what they could do to improve it. Works the same in Android.

Android gives you a button to press on the volume inductor that takes you to a popup that lets you adjust all the different volumes. That is definitely better.

IOS GAF, I need your help!

I have Gridlee (hidden MAME emulator) on my iPhone, this is now unlisted and cannot be downloaded from the App store.

I want this on my iPad Pro. How can I make this happen? I restored a backup from my iPhone to my iPad Pro, and Gridlee appeared as a ghosted app. But before the entire process was completed I got an error message saying the restore wasn't fully completed. Was this because it detected Gridlee as unlisted/banned?

Even though the iPhone backup was made to my computer instead of iCloud, it still seemed to redownload the Apps from Apple's server rather than just taking the data from the restored backup.. is that normal?

IOS GAF, I need your help!

I have Gridlee (hidden MAME emulator) on my iPhone, this is now unlisted and cannot be downloaded from the App store.

I want this on my iPad Pro. How can I make this happen? I restored a backup from my iPhone to my iPad Pro, and Gridlee appeared as a ghosted app. But before the entire process was completed I got an error message saying the restore wasn't fully completed. Was this because it detected Gridlee as unlisted/banned?

Even though the iPhone backup was made to my computer instead of iCloud, it still seemed to redownload the Apps from Apple's server rather than just taking the data from the restored backup.. is that normal?
Greyed out app means it needs to be reinstalled from cloud/store, or if it's not there via iTunes.

My method would be to get the app off your phone, using one of these approaches:
1) sync iPhone with iTunes to get the app onto your computer
2) take a backup of the app from your iPhone using suitable tools, eg. iMazing (Mac), iFunBox (Mac/PC)
3) extract it from a unencrypted backup (eg. iPhone Backup Extractor)

Then install the app onto your iPad using iTunes.

Greyed out app means it needs to be reinstalled from cloud/store, or if it's not there via iTunes.

My method would be to get the app off your phone, using one of these approaches:
1) sync iPhone with iTunes to get the app onto your computer
2) take a backup the app from your using suitable tools (eg. iMazing on Mac)
3) extract it from a unencrypted backup (eg. iPhone Backup Extractor)

Then install the app onto your iPad using iTunes.

Thank you, I will look into your suggestions. However, regarding point 1. I do remember that at some point iTunes would move apps from iPhone back to iTunes, but this isn't happening for me anymore. I thought they changed this behavior.. but I guess I am missing something? I'm guessing the 'Transfer purchases from device' option is a one-time thing.

Update:
iMazing is a great app, but won't transfer the App for me. It tells me it can't restore the purchase until I re-download it from the Apple store first. Strange since it uses the same Apple ID as my iPhone.
iFunbox is decent, but it won't do anything on non-jailbroken devices apparantly.

Thank you, I will look into your suggestions. However, regarding point 1. I do remember that at some point iTunes would move apps from iPhone back to iTunes, but this isn't happening for me anymore. I thought they changed this behavior.. but I guess I am missing something? I'm guessing the 'Transfer purchases from device' option is a one-time thing.
Yes, you're right. Since iOS 9 the apps no longer come over, my apologies. If you do not have an old backup then option #1 is out.

The only way apps are managed by iTunes is if you manage an archive of them and get updates to them through iTunes. And then backup that archive. I do, for situations like this one.

If the Gridlee app was subject to app thining, then it could be that #2 and #3 are out also because the app would only contain iPhone assets rather than iPad assets. Worth a try though!

Yes, you're right. Since iOS 9 the apps no longer come over, my apologies. If you do not have an old backup then option #1 is out.

The only way apps are managed by iTunes is if you manage an archive of them and get updates to them through iTunes. And then backup that archive. I do, for situations like this one.

If the Gridlee app was subject to app thining, then it could be that #2 and #3 are out also because the app would only contain iPhone assets rather than iPad assets. Worth a try though!

Seems like it. So frustrating when Apple's closed system approach bites you in the ass. How amazing this iPad Pro would be if I could install MAME on it, and have it connect to my Dual Shock 4 via Bluetooth. Alas..

Have you tried installing a version yourself? No jailbreak required, no developer account required. You can do it!

http://www.lesbird.com/iMame4All/iMame4All_Xcode.html

Thank you, I have opened the project in XCODE but still have some issues with signing the app, and how I could transfer it to my iPad. I'll need to look into this further at a later date, as this is the first time that I will have used XCode, so I'm not too familiar.

Thank you though, this is extremely helpful and interesting.

ShowDog

I don't think so.
Volume options are a joke in iOS. They should be much more accessible.
I have my phone silenced at all times. I still don't get why pressing the volume rocker will sometimes affect the ringer volume and sometimes the volume of videos/music/etc.

If you are ever wanting to turn the actual volume down when the hardware buttons are controlling ringer all you need to do is swipe up for the quick control pane and slide the universal volume level down to zero.

PaulLFC

I have an iPad 3 Retina currently, and it's starting to run really slow. Responsiveness is becoming an issue even with one or two apps running.

Can doing a full factory restore improve the speed and responsiveness similar to the way most Android devices get a boost from doing a factory data reset? Or is it just a sign I need to upgrade? I wanted to but there was no new "normal sized" iPad this year so I decided to see if it can hold out another year.

kharma45

I have an iPad 3 Retina currently, and it's starting to run really slow. Responsiveness is becoming an issue even with one or two apps running.

Can doing a full factory restore improve the speed and responsiveness similar to the way most Android devices get a boost from doing a factory data reset? Or is it just a sign I need to upgrade? I wanted to but there was no new "normal sized" iPad this year so I decided to see if it can hold out another year.

I'd look to an uograde. The 3 is underpowered and an OS reset can't fix that.

Vyer

It will improve some, but yeah it is likely to still see some slowdown because of its age/hardware. Go ahead and do it and see if it's tolerable enough for you to keep waiting.

PaulLFC

I'd look to an uograde. The 3 is underpowered and an OS reset can't fix that.

It will improve some, but yeah it is likely to still see some slowdown because of its age/hardware. Go ahead and do it and see if it's tolerable enough for you to keep waiting.
Thanks, I'm definitely planning an upgrade as soon as possible but hoping to make this last until the next announcement if possible.

I did a reset and it seems to have improved speed a lot - there's still some slowdown but it's definitely tolerable - whereas before the reset it was taking multiple seconds to do pretty much anything.

Thanks, I'm definitely planning an upgrade as soon as possible but hoping to make this last until the next announcement if possible.

I did a reset and it seems to have improved speed a lot - there's still some slowdown but it's definitely tolerable - whereas before the reset it was taking multiple seconds to do pretty much anything.
You might want to try these settings, which helped on my original iPad Mini:

Settings / General / Accessibility / Increase Contrast / Reduce Transparency = ON

Settings / General / Background App Refresh = OFF

Settings / General / Spotlight Suggestions / Siri Suggestions = OFF

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/18/slow-ios-9-speed-up-tips/

Ninja Dom

Try this on your iPhones. Is it a bug?

Put your device into silent mode with the switch. Go into iMessage. Have a look at any video that somebody has sent you. Press play on the thumbnail of the video as it appears in the conversation. Sound plays.

Press on the thumbnail of the video to get the video into it's own independent playing screen. Play the video. No sound.

Why would sound play in the thumbnail, but not the main playback screen, when you have your iPhone set to silent?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Any suggestions for doing different region purchases? Just bought my wife an iPad, and she has a Japanese region Apple ID which we have used mostly for music purchases. But I want to make a uk account too so she can join our family sharing setup and also it'll be easier for app downloads. Is it possible to have a separate account for music and apps?

Edit : for now I've set her up with a second UK account to join family sharing, and I think I can temporarily sign her in to the Japanese account just for the App Store if she wants to download music.

Speaking of which, any way to avoid using iTunes to sync music to the iPad? At the moment I'm using the google play music app to which we've uploaded all of our music. Might just keep using that?

PaulLFC

You might want to try these settings, which helped on my original iPad Mini:

Settings / General / Accessibility / Increase Contrast / Reduce Transparency = ON

Settings / General / Background App Refresh = OFF

Settings / General / Spotlight Suggestions / Siri Suggestions = OFF

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/18/slow-ios-9-speed-up-tips/
Thanks, I changed these and it seems to be a little faster - definitely usable now compared to what it was previously.

Ambitious

There should be a third, bigger size for PiP videos. And it should also be possible to make them fullscreen without having to go to the playing app first.

ryan299

How do you shut off gestures? Every time I swipe from the left edge to the right it opens up multitasking. I'm jailbroken but I don't have anything assigned to that.

Ocho

How do you shut off gestures? Every time I swipe from the left edge to the right it opens up multitasking. I'm jailbroken but I don't have anything assigned to that.

That's a 3d touch feature. Turn off 3d touch? Or stop pressing.

Top Bottom