• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits

awp69

A game I worked on is now out! It's called Don't Die, Mr. Robot! and it's an avoid-em-up with cute graphics, catchy music and really smooth gameplay.

It should work on pretty much all iPhones and iPads newer than iPhone 4s.

1458828527-screen640x640.jpeg

1458828542-screen640x640.jpeg

iTunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dont-die-mr.-robot!/id933227208?ls=1&mt=8

Launch trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQmis7yqzHg

Mike and Charlie of Infinite State Games made the original version on PS Vita, and we then ported it from PS Vita to iOS. There's a PS4 version too, but I haven't personally played that one.

I think we did a really good job with the tilt controls on iOS, so please do give it a go.

Great work on this one. Fans of Tilt to Live and the pacifist mode of Geometry Wars will really dig this. Can't comment on the PS4/Vita versions, but this game seems built for tilt controls, which work very well.

A game I worked on is now out! It's called Don't Die, Mr. Robot! and it's an avoid-em-up with cute graphics, catchy music and really smooth gameplay.

It should work on pretty much all iPhones and iPads newer than iPhone 4s.

iTunes link:
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/dont-die-mr.-robot!/id933227208?ls=1&mt=8

Launch trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQmis7yqzHg

Mike and Charlie of Infinite State Games made the original version on PS Vita, and we then ported it from PS Vita to iOS. There's a PS4 version too, but I haven't personally played that one.

I think we did a really good job with the tilt controls on iOS, so please do give it a go.
Playing this now, super good job all round!

fwiw I prefer the iOS tilt controls to the Vita/PS4 controls.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm really happy the game was so successful for the devs...reading their post mortem is heartbreaking...the game was on the verge of never see the light of the day several times.

One of my most favorite games ever (on any platform) and one of my most played for sure...for some reason I'm really addicted to it.
Sometimes I let it 'sleep' for some months, then I'm addicted all over again.
The story, once you see all the endings, is surprisingly good and interconnected...can't wait for their new games/stories expanding the lore of the game.

I'm currently doing a (hopefully) gold run right now...looking forward the new techs they added in this expansion (I've not activated the new game mode for obvious reasons).

The fact it turned out be a rogue-like type game is probably one of my biggest disappointments in iOS game history next to Star Command.

Aaiiee

Neo Member
Great work on this one. Fans of Tilt to Live and the pacifist mode of Geometry Wars will really dig this. Can't comment on the PS4/Vita versions, but this game seems built for tilt controls, which work very well.

Playing this now, super good job all round!

fwiw I prefer the iOS tilt controls to the Vita/PS4 controls.

Thanks guys! I think the main difference compared to the Vita tilt controls is that there's no dead zone around the neutral position, which can be a blessing or a curse depending on your hand steadiness!

We had planned to get it out sooner (before Christmas in fact) but I had some family news that took up most of my time outside of my day job.

Glad you guys like it. I think it's a great game and I've been very fortunate to have been involved. Please check out Infinite State's new game - Wing Kings - too. The guys really know tight gameplay.

PittaGAF

The fact it turned out be a rogue-like type game is probably one of my biggest disappointments in iOS game history next to Star Command.

:)
Wasn't this known from the very beginning?
I'm really in love with the game...but yeah, if you don't like roguelikes, it's a hard sell.
I see it more like a exploration game/choose your own adventure/disaster management first and then a roguelike, more because it's brutal than anything else.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
:)
Wasn't this known from the very beginning?
I'm really in love with the game...but yeah, if you don't like roguelikes, it's a hard sell.
I see it more like a exploration game/choose your own adventure/disaster management first and then a roguelike, more because it's brutal than anything else.

If it was based on the initial teaser trailer(s) then I missed it. I appreciate what the game is going for but I wanted something more persistent or long-form where you'd explore space and gradually build up your ship as you explore. Basically what the game is but where "a run" would be more campaign-like lasting a few hours.

I had some fun with the game with the 2.2.1 update though, which made you indestructible by mistake. :p

PittaGAF

If it was based on the initial teaser trailer(s) then I missed it. I appreciate what the game is going for but I wanted something more persistent or long-form where you'd explore space and gradually build up your ship as you explore. Basically what the game is but where "a run" would be more campaign-like lasting a few hours.

I had some fun with the game with the 2.2.1 update though, which made you indestructible by mistake. :p

Did you try playing on easy?
Last time I tried it it was really difficult to die and runs lasted for hours.
Try the combo easy+first multiverse (to have persistent ships between runs)...should be close to what you may want IMHO.
After you see the first ending, stopping is impossible if you like scifi :)

With yesterday update, there is even a 'save point' tech and a cool expand ship tech too, which both make the game even easier.

But persistent ships is the deal....after let's say 10 unsucceful runs things really get easier because you find previous stuff/tech/materials.

For starters, just gather fuel and be sure to have always 15 Fe.
Forget drilling aliens world, just try to get Thorium and Hafnium in normal rocky planets.
Only techs you really need to reach first endings are Tau Engine, Solar Sails and everything that can get attached to the engines and the interplanetary engine.
The rest will come ;)

awp69

Is there a way to make backups of my save games to my computer? I might update to iOS 9.3 if this is the case.

Haven't done it in forever but you should be able to do a full backup in iTunes, including saves. Do you not have enough room to update in place? Or you're just backing up as a safety net of the update goes bad?

CronoShot

I suddenly can't seem to download (or redownload) any apps or games from my phone. I push the little cloud icon, and nothing happens. The icon turns into the little spinning loading icon, then goes straight back to the little cloud. Same with free apps. I hit Get, it acts like it's going to work for about 2 seconds, then goes back to Get.

Edit: Nvm, signing out then back in fixed it. Weird though.

Rlan

Preface: I have played Tap Titans for a few hundred hours. I've also put a few dozen hours into Clicker Heroes. I have given many other clicker games a fair shake but these 2 are the only ones to have kept my attention for more than a few days.

This is only my opinion, and may not reflect the majority opinion concerning the genre.

So...Doomsday Clicker.

Thanks for the feedback man! Might have to look into the time skipping stuff a bit more :)

We've definitely got some ideas of where we can go from here. Being based on people and rooms there's so much more opportunity for new engaging stuff to be put in there.

We got featured a bunch this morning which is super awesome, so hopefully it does well enough that we can keep adding to it :)

okno

Yo Kai Watch Wibble Wobble is a blast to play, but has F2P trappings written all over it, plus an energy system. Womp womp...

PittaGAF

Not sure if it's just my imagination but I feel last update of Out There made the game easier (probably not on purpose) because the length between the main story events is much shorter.
It's much more tight and of course easier so.
So you may want to play now before its patched again (apparently the dev didn't realize this so it wasn't on purpose).

Just died 1 system away from gold ending (which I have yet to see). AGAIN.
But the run was like less than one hour while generally it took me almost 2 to get near it.
I saw green/blue and red in half a hour as well.

mid83

Man, Templar Battleforce is so good. I'm glad I took the plunge. One of the best SRPG's on iOS. I wish they would use a free to try approach so more people could give it a shot.

Sure, it's not as fancy looking as Warhammer Deathwatch, but it's a much tighter, better designed game (imo).

People on Steam love it. It has like 96% positive reviews.

Awesome game!

RCJb.jpg

Seeing this game talked about a lot makes me want to try Heroes of Steel as well. This dev has pumped an insane amount of updates into Heroes of Steel over the past several years.

By the way, I just want to thank the whole group of people who post here. This is about the only discussion of mobile games I've found online that really showcases how much cool content there is among the mounds of shovelware and freemium junk. It's a positive and fun vibe here as opposed to the constant doom and gloom about freemium you see on TA, Reddit and other places. These threads have made me interested in iOS again after other sites really soured me on the platform over the past several years.

By the way, I just want to thank the whole group of people who post here. This is about the only discussion of mobile games I've found online that really showcases how much cool content there is among the mounds of shovelware and freemium junk. It's a positive and fun vibe here as opposed to the constant doom and gloom about freemium you see on TA, Reddit and other places. These threads have made me interested in iOS again after other sites really soured me on the platform over the past several years.
Glad you enjoy the threads. Definitely is nice to have a place to have good discussions on mobile games and what cool releases are out

I think I have every major/recommended roguelike on mobile. Hope we get some good ones this year. HyperRogue on Android and Steam is really good, but unfortunately it isn't coming to iOS. There are some cool 7DRL entries that might be making their way to mobile

I'd ask if anyone has heard of or played Stickets, but considering the TA thread is only a few posts long and it was never mentioned in any of the IOS threads, I'd say it's relatively unknown

And yet, I was looking up reviews for it, and found that it was praised as a puzzler on par with Drop7 and as a must-play mobile game on the same level as Canabalt and Ridiculous Fishing. A 9/10 from Eurogamer, a 9/10 from Edge, a 4.5 from Toucharcade
You know those games that are both stylish and exciting, and which manage to stay on your homescreen while so many others come and go until you eventually think, what the hell? and chuck them into a special folder called Classics alongside Drop7, Fieldrunners, Canabalt, Ridiculous Fishing and Solipskier? Stickets is one of those games. It's already in the folder, in fact, and it's not coming out.
Like all great puzzle games, you’re beholden to the whims of fortune, forcing you into leaps of faith that often prove frustratingly fatal. But like all great puzzle games, Stickets’ surface simplicity is merely a cover for mechanics of astonishing depth and longevity.
This is the kind of game I'd use to introduce a family member to iOS gaming, or to a cynical core gamer like myself. Any single element of Stickets would have endeared it to me. Combine its gameplay, controls, visual design and sounds? It casts a spell. Like, a really, really fun spell.

And yet the game only has 39 reviews on the App Store. Quite literally a forgotten hidden gem
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stickets/id568750015
https://vimeo.com/67228534

Amanita Design's new game Samorost 3 released on PC this week and it's just amazing. A true labor of love, which I think a work in any medium has to be when it's a sequel released 11 years after the last game and has this much care and polish and artistic confidence. I'm loving it on PC but I can already tell it's going to be even better on mobile. A lot of pulling and prodding and dragging with the mouse that will feel so natural with a finger

The last few levels of Lost Socks really break it off in your ass. I can pretty reliably get to the second stage of the boss and I've managed to blow off one of the back vents/laser cannons a few times. Just gotta keep working at it.

Oynox

Amanita Design's new game Samorost 3 released on PC this week and it's just amazing. A true labor of love, which I think a work in any medium has to be when it's a sequel released 11 years after the last game and has this much care and polish and artistic confidence. I'm loving it on PC but I can already tell it's going to be even better on mobile. A lot of pulling and prodding and dragging with the mouse that will feel so natural with a finger

Is this confirmed for iPad yet? My mum's absolutely favorite game ever is Botanicula so she will definitely would look forward to Samorost.

Is this confirmed for iPad yet? My mum's absolutely favorite game ever is Botanicula so she will definitely would look forward to Samorost.
I have to look to see if the dev himself has mentioned it, but I know all the major mobile game sites have written articles that Samorost would be coming to iOS/Android after the PC release

PittaGAF

The last few levels of Lost Socks really break it off in your ass. I can pretty reliably get to the second stage of the boss and I've managed to blow off one of the back vents/laser cannons a few times. Just gotta keep working at it.

For some reason I found last boss much easier using doom once you master the in between sequences.

PaulLFC

After upgrading my iPad last week I've just got back into iOS gaming so trying to catch up on what I've missed.

One particular genre I like is management/tycoon/city building/base building games, I think I already own most of the big releases on iOS but are there any in particular I'm missing? I have:

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3
Transport Tycoon
Fiz
Game Dev Story
Motorsport Manager
Football Manager
Punch Club
Civilization Revolution

Are there any others in particular I'm missing, besides the other Kairosoft games? I definitely prefer paid games over F2P in the genre, but I'd be willing to look at an F2P title if the waiting times aren't excessive and there are no "you can't get past this without buying gems" moments.

mid83

Can you guys give me a rundown of the best srpg's on iOS?

I remember seeing a bunch by a developer Dotomichi (rebirth of fortune, defense of fortune etc...). The screens look nice but that's all I know about them. I also remember seeing the Hyperdevbox ports (Record of Agarest War etc...) but no clue how good they are.

Anyways any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!!

I remember seeing a bunch by a developer Dotomichi (rebirth of fortune, defense of fortune etc...). The screens look nice but that's all I know about them. I also remember seeing the Hyperdevbox ports (Record of Agarest War etc...) but no clue how good they are.

I believe the general consensus around here is that Tactics Maiden and Templar Battleforce are some of the best sRPGs. The Banner Saga is really good too

awp69

Not as much an RPG but Deathwatch is also great.

I'm hooked on Dream Quest again, and I just love how varied the enemies are. It's really a testament to how a CCG structure can create a really diverse array of loadouts and attack styles. One boss was a genie that gives you three options to choose from, so carefully choose the lesser of three evils, while another enemy limits your turn to 10 seconds and cancels out your first attack, adding some tense pressure to the battle,

Wow! Any word on when this might go up on iOS?

Impossible Road (iOS) vs Super Impossible Road (PC/PS4, releasing soon)
518jbIi.gif
FdPpmgG.gif

I think that might be the most enhanced mobile-to-PC port I've seen

Top Bottom