• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm gonna download it after I'm done this game of SolForge to give you guys some impressions.

It's 2.99 for fuck's sake. :D

Smiley90

Okay I played the tutorial and through the actual game a bit and... it's not that good, sadly. It's a nice idea, but it's just not that good.

Essentially the city/empire part is kind of like Civilization Revolution on iOS, only much worse. You're forced to keep settling&abandoning your settlements because the land around them gets "drained", causing new enemy spawns (essentially barbarian camps) to pop up that will keep attacking you. every couple rounds you get to expand your city with an extra building, but since you have to keep abandoning your cities, city-building feels worthless."oh yay I get to build xx, which... will be worthless in like 5 turns when the city is torn down. yay."

combat itself is turn-based on a grid, with several "tactics" cards (think memoir '44), but... unit variety is VERY minimal. There's exactly 3 different units. at least early in the game. and enemy units also only have the exact same units...

So... while it might've been a nice idea to combine empire building and card-based grid combat... it just feels like a VERY bad mix between civilization-style empire building and memoir '44-style combat. :(

Okay I played the tutorial and through the actual game a bit and... it's not that good, sadly. It's a nice idea, but it's just not that good.

Essentially the city/empire part is kind of like Civilization Revolution on iOS, only much worse. You're forced to keep settling&abandoning your settlements because the land around them gets "drained", causing new enemy spawns (essentially barbarian camps) to pop up that will keep attacking you. every couple rounds you get to expand your city with an extra building, but since you have to keep abandoning your cities, city-building feels worthless."oh yay I get to build xx, which... will be worthless in like 5 turns when the city is torn down. yay."

combat itself is turn-based on a grid, with several "tactics" cards (think memoir '44), but... unit variety is VERY minimal. There's exactly 3 different units. at least early in the game. and enemy units also only have the exact same units...

So... while it might've been a nice idea to combine empire building and card-based grid combat... it just feels like a VERY bad mix between civilization-style empire building and memoir '44-style combat. :(

Thanks for taking the bullet. Thats really to bad that its not super good, the gameplay sounds like it could be really awesome, but with only 3 units (hahahaha, what??), and with city building sounding worthless, it sounds like a pretty simple game.

Flynn

10132402753_1dc5f1b632.jpg

GG, Squirrel Killer!

Flynn/Triphibian (SMART): 14
Squirrel Killer (VEGAS): 6

Thanks for taking the bullet. Thats really to bad that its not super good, the gameplay sounds like it could be really awesome, but with only 3 units (hahahaha, what??), and with city building sounding worthless, it sounds like a pretty simple game.
It's more like a roguelike in some ways, keep going as long as you can and beat your high score. Your civilisation will lose eventually, just how well can you do.
I've played it a bit and smiley's criticisms of the system are fair (units, cities, combat).
I am starting to get a few more interesting cards into the deck.

I'm enjoying it for what it is, (so far) but I'd need to play it longer to see if there's enough to it.

It's more like a roguelike in some ways, keep going as long as you can and beat your high score. Your civilisation will lose eventually, just how well can you do.
I've played it a bit and smiley's criticisms of the system are fair (units, cities, combat).
I am starting to get a few more interesting cards into the deck.

I'm enjoying it for what it is, (so far) but I'd need to play it longer to see if there's enough to it.

That makes it sound even worse to me, haha. Or at least even further from what I want. It might be an ok game, but isn't what I thought it would be or want it to be at all. Heh.

Slacker

Pandemic is really well done. I don't really enjoy co-op games in real life with other people, but I love playing them solo on the iPad, so this hits the spot. I'd put it in the list as my second favorite co-op game on the iPad, after Elder Sign. Great stuff.

Pandemic is really well done. I don't really enjoy co-op games in real life with other people, but I love playing them solo on the iPad, so this hits the spot. I'd put it in the list as my second favorite co-op game on the iPad, after Elder Sign. Great stuff.

I really need I buy Pandemic.

It's just the base game right now, yeah? A buddy of mine just started buying pandemic and it's expansions, and it's been a lot of fun to play.

No online though right? It needs an online with chat, voice chat would be nice too.

mercviper

Ha ha.
I've played it a bit more, I think I like it.

I've been enjoying it as a solo puzzle type game. Maybe it's because it's new, but I've played it on my iPad from 100-0 battery twice this weekend. My first game I tried out a bunch of things like 3 cities simultaneously and only got around 50 VP. My next two games went to 295 and 275 VP before finally collapsing. Just short of the 300 achievement too -_-.

I also think Smiley's complaints are pretty valid, but from reading his blog post introducing it I don't think you could expect it to be a very civ-like game at all. The combat is simple, but it's more about deckbuilding with limited cards to get the best results with your army.

Unfortunately, as far as replayability goes, I think this game will only last me until I get all the achievements on it as I feel I'm pretty close to breaking the game and going infinite with it. Still kinda pissed that I didn't get the 80 weeks achievement of not attacking. I leapfrogged it off the 50 weeks of not exploring and it's either bugged or I accidentally attacked a spawn point afterwards.

I've been enjoying it as a solo puzzle type game. Maybe it's because it's new, but I've played it on my iPad from 100-0 battery twice this weekend. My first game I tried out a bunch of things like 3 cities simultaneously and only got around 50 VP. My next two games went to 295 and 275 VP before finally collapsing. Just short of the 300 achievement too -_-.

I also think Smiley's complaints are pretty valid, but from reading his blog post introducing it I don't think you could expect it to be a very civ-like game at all. The combat is simple, but it's more about deckbuilding with limited cards to get the best results with your army.

Unfortunately, as far as replayability goes, I think this game will only last me until I get all the achievements on it as I feel I'm pretty close to breaking the game and going infinite with it. Still kinda pissed that I didn't get the 80 weeks achievement of not attacking. I leapfrogged it off the 50 weeks of not exploring and it's either bugged or I accidentally attacked a spawn point afterwards.
I saw that score and went "tut! Hackers" :p
That's amazing (my high score is 26).
I'm still walking cavalry and archers into one-shot kills during the battles, so I'm still quite rubbish.

mercviper

I saw that score and went "tut! Hackers" :p
That's amazing (my high score is 26).
I'm still walking cavalry and archers into one-shot kills during the battles, so I'm still quite rubbish.

Man I still walk them into that crap too haha. I find it's better to have a smaller army (like 3 units) instead of a larger one because you don't accumulate enough command points until later in the game to actually micromanage more than that, and any army units you can't manage that ends up dying puts a strife card in your deck.

I keep 2 cities normally, 3 is too much of a food tax for long term, but I keep a third settler in case I need to build a third city quick. Since you aren't building a full army, you can spend more materials on exploring and finding the better places to build your cities in as well as finding desolation spawns when they start and have weaker armies.

I also grab a lot of cards that give + redraw. Like the army halt for +2 and the archer halt for +3. The archer halt seems especially broken as it's still playable even when you don't control any archers. Throw in a Command or two to build up command points and then you end up cycling your whole deck every turn or two finding exactly what you need. Also grab purges when you can because they seem to be a fairly rare card but is super important for keeping the deck size low.

tm24

Getting a premium pack for your daily log in reward is kind of the hypest thing ever

Also down for some carc

kestrel3d

Neo Member
I really haven't played that much neuroshima hex on ios yet, but would love to get some practice in to be ready for the next tourney when it comes around... Anyone up for another game? I don't own any expansion armies yet, though I will probably get them eventually.

Smiley90

Getting a premium pack for your daily log in reward is kind of the hypest thing ever

Also down for some carc

Agreed. Not only is the constant flow of free boosters great to keep you invested, the fact that it doesn't restrict you to crappy rewards is great community service.

I'm still upset I have many copies of a ton of heroics, but only ONE Botanimate, which is like the only (decent) removal card Uterra has...

mercviper

Welp, I broke 300. And rode it all the way to the global high score, if that means anything haha.

Probably gonna play 2-3 more times for the missing 2 achievements and then be done with it. Gotta make 28 cities and survive 80 weeks w/o attacking. Probably could've done 28 on that high score attempt but I spent like 50 weeks on 2 cities at one point, which probably was the start of my empire's downfall. Oh well.

Welp, I broke 300. And rode it all the way to the global high score, if that means anything haha.

Probably gonna play 2-3 more times for the missing 2 achievements and then be done with it. Gotta make 28 cities and survive 80 weeks w/o attacking. Probably could've done 28 on that high score attempt but I spent like 50 weeks on 2 cities at one point, which probably was the start of my empire's downfall. Oh well.
Wow, very nice.

I saw your post on the Empire forum and I was like, I know that name.

Kosh

I really haven't played that much neuroshima hex on ios yet, but would love to get some practice in to be ready for the next tourney when it comes around... Anyone up for another game? I don't own any expansion armies yet, though I will probably get them eventually.

I'll play. I've only played the tutorial and zero actual games. Which means I'm pretty bad, so not sure how much of a good practice I'll give you.

I'm also looking for some takers for Agricola and Small World 2. My DoW name is Kosh One.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If anyone wants to play ANY games, feel free to invite me. I'm up for anything and pretty much own them all.

What's the deal with the Summoner Wars tournament? Is it still going?

Something in the recent iOS7 update broke the "Restore Purchases" process.
They are put a release out to collect some debug info but nothing since.
Sounds like they have a device with the bug.

Yeah it sucks, but there isn't anything we can do but wait it seems.

In other news, it looks like 3 new armies in NH are coming.

bonesquad

Playdek needs to get their priorities straight. Instead of wasting time on an embarrassment of a card game you'd have to pay me to play:) they need to be fixin' SW! Including more expansions, but I guess one step at a time.

The red badge indicating the games I can't play in SW is getting as annoying as say drawing 3 action tiles in NH right after a battle cleared the board of all units...

tm24

I love PEs

Also, Tm24 Cave Goblins W - PrayforDeath Fallen Kingdom L

I can see why Astro enjoys the Cave Goblins so much

I love PEs

Also, Tm24 Cave Goblins W - PrayforDeath Fallen Kingdom L

I can see why Astro enjoys the Cave Goblins so much

I know you do, and I hate your stupid Phoenix Elves! :p

I dont like playing the Cave Goblins much, but I can understand the appeal of the zerg rush.

Well you win ray, but I feel cheated that your grenade removed my guy with 2 hp lol.

Shit didnt even know the game was done! Haha

Good Game, lots of stupid turns at the end, haha :p. I wasnt sure the grenade would work, but I used the info button and it says "Destroys 1 chosen enemy unit.." so I just hoped and prayed it would kill your walled in sniper, haha.

Kosh

Tried to start a few games of different Playdek games and noticed something happened to my friends list. Apparently we have to send invites now with the users Playdek name? Do we have a list of these, because I know mine is different than my GC name, my PD name is Kosh.

Ours was almost a tie :p

Yeah. Haha. It's nuts man! You both are weird with your ties.

Tried to start a few games of different Playdek games and noticed something happened to my friends list. Apparently we have to send invites now with the users Playdek name? Do we have a list of these, because I know mine is different than my GC name, my PD name is Kosh.

Yeah. It's been like that for a while. If you have an older playdek game that hasn't been updated to this new style then I think you can open that app, go online and it will update everything in the newer apps so you don't have to add people by name in there.

Also just waiting a bit might add the names to your list too I can't remember.

Top Bottom