• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Online Boardgaming Megathread (Carcassonne, Everything Playdek, & Many More)

eznark

Banned
Doesn't sound like it: Players who purchase the game on Steam will unlock an exclusive new heroic team featuring the mercenaries from Valve Corporation’s wildly popular Team Fortress 2.

Lunacy. The game is, honestly, pretty garbage. It's the most basic game without any real depth that really is only enjoyable because of the asynchronous, always with you nature. Trying to sit and play that at a PC seems painful.

sladeums

Further comments re Hero Academy from facebook
The Steam version is purchasable.
There won't be an ad-supported version on Steam like there is on iOS, but the pricing of teams and other items will be the same.
Additionally, the free version of the iOS app comes with only the council team. The base version on PC includes the council and this new expansion TF2 team.
The TF2 team is only available with the purchase of the game on Steam.
However, once you unlock the team, you can play with them on any device that you're playing on - iPhone, iPad, and PC.
Additionally, your HA account is cross-platform. You can play any of your matches on any device. Start a match over lunch on your iPhone and finish it in the evening on PC. Or vice versa.
Also, any teams that you've already purchased on iOS will work on the Steam version.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Wtf I swear the guy sitting next to me on the bus is playing Summoner Wars on his ipad, WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY I don't see it in the appstore wtf.

EDIT: nvm it was MtG, waiting for the release makes me hallucinate...

Slacker

Has MtG caught on with anyone in da club here? I tried it once but didn't find it terribly compelling. I had never played the card game, so maybe I just need to give it a few more tries.

tm24

Wtf I swear the guy sitting next to me on the bus is playing Summoner Wars on his ipad, WHAT IS THIS WIZARDRY I don't see it in the appstore wtf.

EDIT: nvm it was MtG, waiting for the release makes me hallucinate...

Yeha, you need to calm down smiley!

blahness

Has MtG caught on with anyone in da club here? I tried it once but didn't find it terribly compelling. I had never played the card game, so maybe I just need to give it a few more tries.

Dont care much for the Dual of the Plainswalker releases but for the same price you can get in on MTG online and still play with the Plainswalker decks. This is what the $10 starter kit gives you:

The only required fee for MTGO is the $9.99 it costs to get an account, which also provides you with a new account package. There are no recurring fees on a mothly or any other basis. The new account package includes the following items:
300+ Magic 2010™ Cards (including five deck lists using these cards)
One Magic 2010™ Booster
Two Magic Online Tickets
Five Basic Magic Online Avatars
A set of gold-bordered "Planeswalker" cards

gazele

Banned
Hey guys, just wanted to introduce myself, I'm a big fan of board games but my game center friends list is pitiful

haha. I have ascension and all the expansions for that and I'm down anytime Gamecenter: Gazele87 (put it in the spreadsheet too)

How is le havre? I heard Jeff cannata talk about it on weekend confirmed, thinking about picking it up.

How is le havre? I heard Jeff cannata talk about it on weekend confirmed, thinking about picking it up.

Hi.
I like it so far, even on the iPhone. Once you know what the icons represent it becomes much easier.
It will be better on the iPad.
The cheesy accordion music is a nice touch.
There's a hint button to suggest moves which helps when you get started and the AI gives you a decent game.
I need more async games though. (short or long) GC= Diesel Pioneer
I'll take on all comers.
There's a patch coming soon too.

Heel

A friendly reminder for our tournament slackers. :)

Challonge group to archive all of our tournaments: NeoGAFBoardGames.Challonge.com

http://neogafboardgames.challonge.com/carcassonne

neogafboardgames-carcassonne.png

NeoGAFAscension.png

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I only have an iPad so I can't take turns during the day. Didn't realize everyone else played so quickly. The last tournament was much slower paced.

Le Havre notification test. Does it actually work?
Astrolad, you should be up next.
I switch my phone off at night and didn't get a notify for the invite when i powered up.
It would be a shame if it ends up like TTR.

tm24

In what is an absolute shock to no one, astrolad beat me at carc.

Edit: beat Brakara 68-57 to win in 3. Next up, my revenge on astrolad

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Le Havre notification test. Does it actually work?
Astrolad, you should be up next.
I switch my phone off at night and didn't get a notify for the invite when i powered up.
It would be a shame if it ends up like TTR.

First shot it works, but then if you see it and don't pay attention to it it goes away. It's too bad but really it just means either take your turn right away or file it away for later and remember to check.

Codito is not the best but I'm really digging Le Havre now that I have like 3 games going.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
oh yeah just too put a bow on it astrolad 97 mightytm 60 for the carc tournament

blahness sending you an invite!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
carc tournament

astrolad 135
blahness 89

it was pretty much tied but we were both waiting to see who would get the full city piece to complete a decent city and i got it. was a total coin-flip game from pretty early on

gg!

blahness

carc tournament

astrolad 135
blahness 89

it was pretty much tied but we were both waiting to see who would get the full city piece to complete a decent city and i got it. was a total coin-flip game from pretty early on

gg!

Yep I was waiting to strand your meeple but I didn't get my wish. That and I poorly managed my meeple in the middle of the game and was stuck with zero for too long :/ GG though

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So, just playing Le Havre on iPad has gotten me into the game in a way that owning the board game since it came out never could (it never jibed with me the way Agricola did). Now I'm looking forward to introducing it to friends tonight. Device-based board-gaming wins again!

Agricola will be AMAZING though
-Even better game :p (ok this is totally subjective -- if you like more luck and a bit more resource scarcity though then you will like it)
-Guaranteed to be better implementation (Codito I love ya but)

Heel

So, just playing Le Havre on iPad has gotten me into the game in a way that owning the board game since it came out never could (it never jibed with me the way Agricola did). Now I'm looking forward to introducing it to friends tonight. Device-based board-gaming wins again!

Agricola will be AMAZING though
-Even better game :p (ok this is totally subjective -- if you like more luck and a bit more resource scarcity though then you will like it)
-Guaranteed to be better implementation (Codito I love ya but)

You'll have to beat me a few times and give me some pointers. I played the tutorial then got lost very quickly in a game vs. the AI.

tm24

Fun fact: i just learned how to properly say Agricola. Fuck it, im saying it the wrong way, I like how it sounds

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You'll have to beat me a few times and give me some pointers. I played the tutorial then got lost very quickly in a game vs. the AI.

Yeah it's actually pretty simple even though it's known as a heavier game. Let me just go off the top of my head to see if it helps the game make sense.

On your turn you do two things:
-Supply (add to the offer piles at the bottom based on the tile you just went on (these are hidden first round then stay the same the rest of the game)
-Main action, which is either:
(1) Grab everything on a single offer pile, usually a a bunch of wood or clay or whatever.
(2) Use a building by placing (or moving) your disc. You can use either the "city" buildings, which belong to the game and get added to as the game progresses (top right set of buildings) or player's buildings, which belong to players but you can use freely. This is where the UI is not so great -- you actually have to tap in to see peoples' buildings otherwise you just see the names. It's not THAT bad though but you do have to be aware that all bought/built buildings are available to you (unless they have someone else's disc on them). These buildings let you do a TON of different crap, from building other buildings to getting resources to upgrading resources. NB: Many buildings require you to pay an entry fee -- top right -- usually francs or food. Note that francs can always be used as food but not vice versa.

You can also always BUY or SELL a building by paying its cost, which is usually the same as its value but sometimes more. This is pretty clear from the card. Buy/sell is a free action and does not take your main action.

End of game you add up all your francs (which are basically VPs), buildings, and bonuses, and subtract any loans and highest value wins. Normal game flow is to buy a few good buildings, buy some ships here and there (these help you meet your food needs every round), and then maybe amass some goods to use with your ships at the end of the game when you use the Shipping Line building.

It's all a bit murky until you play it a couple times, then it's really easy. Actually easier than Agricola in terms of mechanics as well as greater freedom of action (unless you get some cheap cards or have bad opponents, Agricola is really a game about minimizing pain whereas Le Havre is more about maximizing profit if that makes sense).

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Carc Tourney

butzopower - 94
Yaboosh - 109

He had a 50/50 shot at sharing a field with me at the very end but didn't get his piece. It was a 15 point field. So if he had gotten that one piece, we would have tied.

Good game butzo.

Heel I sent you an invite.

besada

Banned
You started yet? I haven't bought it yet, but I'd be in to picking it up and learning at the feet of the great and mighty AstroLad.

Edit: I'm out, unfortunately. Apple has my credit card info messed up, and won't let me buy it:(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ha! Well there is in-game chat though no one seems to use it except me once.

What are your guys' names on GC so I can send the invites? If you need to PM me that's fine too.

gazele

Banned
Ha! Well there is in-game chat though no one seems to use it except me once.

What are your guys' names on GC so I can send the invites? If you need to PM me that's fine too.

Gazele87, I'm sure I'll get crushed just been through the tutorial seems somewhat complicated but fun though

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Alright created a couple games with you guys. (Except you besada -- that sucks!)

Remember not to rely on notifications too hard for this game; you will get one notification for each turn, then it will disappear, so pays to check.

Three jank things, rest is fine:
-Notifications (same problem as TTR, T&E, and several others, just have to be more vigilant)
-No animations for other players' turns (go to menu and check last moves if you are interested)
-UI doesn't show a ton of info -- click on buildings owned by people to expand.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It doesn't hurt I suppose (I'm no Le Havre expert I should add -- only played the game like five times -- it's a long game!). I mean worst case you are getting those veeps at the end of game anyway.

Top Bottom