• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 8 Is World's Fastest Phone (It's Not Even Close)

Ahasverus

This is nice and all but as always I expect an Android phone having the same performance in one or two years, at a third of the price or less. I'll gladly wait.

Good for the early adopters though.

CodeNfX

I just upgraded from the regular iPhone 6 to the 8 plus. It’s a huge upgrade for me, everything so fast and nice. Love it!

ZeroX03

Banned
This is nice and all but as always I expect an Android phone having the same performance in one or two years, at a third of the price or less. I'll gladly wait.

That isn’t going to happen here. This year’s most expensive Android phones can barely compete with last year’s iPhone 7. You’ll be waiting half a decade for a $250 phone with that kind of power.

Like what can you use the power for on iOS?

Like on Android I can go on the app store and dl emulators can run psp and gcn games smoothly that I can pair with my ds4. Only real 'power use' I've had with my flagship cpu.

I remember I had to jailbreak to get emulators on iOS or through some Safari loophole. Did that change?

Music production is one use-case for that power. Many bands use iPhones and iPads now to play app synths live or even control hardware using MIDI. You can even run multiple audio apps and chain effects.

Check out this guy building a 15-track song using the Cubasis DAW and the Moog Model 15 synth app. The Model 15 app is a recreation of a 1970's Moog hardware modular synthesizer, with additional improvements like four-note polyphony and MIDI control. Four note polyphony means that the app is constantly running four emulations at the same time. The emulation of the Moog sound is amazing. It's IMO the most impressive app in the App Store, but it wouldn't have been possible without CPU advances (as well as Apple's low-latency audio stack).

So yeah, there's plenty of things you can do with the power of iOS devices besides playing games.

VeeP

I've been feeling the same way about my 6S+. I'm trying to hold it till the 2019 iPhone though. Don't really care about specs that much myself but by then what can we expect? An A13 is given but with 6GB of RAM maybe? Well whatever, I'm looking more forward to the changes in the ios 13 or w/e it'll be called and iphone design changes (smaller or no notch pls)

6 seems like a stretch. 3 might be standard next year(maybe 4 on the more expensive models), and the year after that we'll probably get 4.

Rizific

I've been with android since pretty much the birth of the smartphone. I just upgraded my s7 on Monday to the note 8 but before that I was seriously considering giving ios a try. Right up until Ive been seeing my bosses iPhone act a fool. She's been through a few replacements over the past few months and still continues to have issues with it. My wife says she'll be getting the iPhone x, I plan to spend some time on it to get an idea of ios. Dunno why people get so hurt about cell phones, someone's gotta have the title of fastest phone. Does it matter that much if yours isn't the fastest?

KevinRo

This article is disingenuous..

They show storage tests of 4K which they use to conclude the real world processor performance. The only reason those scores are different are because of the faster memory Apple includes in their phone.

I'm willing to agree that Apple CPU's are faster than other ARM implementations but comparing it to an i5 and saying they are years ahead is just wrong.

hirokazu

They show storage tests of 4K which they use to conclude the real world processor performance. The only reason those scores are different are because of the faster memory Apple includes in their phone.

I'm willing to agree that Apple CPU's are faster than other ARM implementations but comparing it to an i5 and saying they are years ahead is just wrong.
The 4K test was performed against other phones, not an Intel.

The SoC performance benchmark was compared to other phones and and an Intel and they’ve included the caveats when it comes to comparability to the Intel.

Are you saying Apple is using storage three times fast than competitors and the SoC isn’t actually all that much better, or are you just in disbelief? 🤔

So the iPhone is only faster at encoding 4K because Apple made it faster at encoding 4K.

xInsMbqOHlW1tdss4bZYMu7VHvc=.gif

I'm pretty sure Apple uses Samsung memory. If Apple is using faster Samsung memory in it's $700 than Samsung is in it's $900 phone, that would be odd, no?

Jeffrey

Now this is interesting. Iphone 7 plus destroys iPhone 8 Plus in 'daily use speed test.

https://youtu.be/P_00J9Tzs-8

Could be due to optimization. But everything about ios 11 feels rushed. Hearing huge battery drain for many ppl,and overall bugginess.

IOS 11 being buggy. Android oreo being buggy.

Bad year for updates?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Did you watch the video?

Yes I have, I'm actually subscribed to EAP on YouTube and I quite like his comparison videos.

There's nothing in that video that I would constitute as a "bad test", the app reloading and crashing was there for everyone to see clearly, but of course you guys have been stanning the 8 all thread long so I'm not surprised at your proclamations.

KHarvey16

Who has time to watch videos when there are hot takes to drop?

Silly me!

Yes I have, I'm actually subscribed to EAP on YouTube and I quite like his comparison videos.

There's nothing in that video that I would constitute as a "bad test", the app reloading and crashing was there for everyone to see clearly, but of course you guys have been stanning the 8 all thread long so I'm not surprised at your proclamations.

Syncing a video as you manually open apps on a new phone to test performance is ridiculous. They make good clickbait youtube videos. Please don't defend it.

It will be exciting to see if the A12x in June of 2019 will pass 1 Tflop in GPU performance. My estimate is from the following: the A10x is ~500Gflops and apple usually has a 40% increase in GPU performance per gen, so two gens should give a 2x improvement, could be more since A12x should be on a 2nd Gen 7nm node.

Would be pretty neat seeing an Ipad surpass a Xbox One in GPU performance in a couple of years. An A10x already blows the CPU out of the water, the only place where these SoCs are lacking is in memory bandwidth. There is the possibility that future SoC will move towards stacked memory using Through Silicon Vias instead of package on package LDDR4x.

As much as I love my 7+, every day I find it harder and harder to not go crazy and buy an 8+ to replace it even though I got it in April.

But I can do it. I can do it. I don't need an 8+. I want it but I don't need it. I can hold off a year or two. Yeah. I can do that.

Man I just bought an 8 Plus to hold me until the X, coming from a 7 Plus. I have a serious problem

Tain

Are the X and 8P using the same clock speeds?

got me second-guessing if I wanna get the phone that has to push the higher resolution now if the muscle is the same

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Decided not to wait for the X either. My 6 has been giving me hell for months and I got tired of dealing with it until the stupid keynote. Didn’t really fall in love with the X design enough to bother with the extra wait and money. Figure I can go a year or two and get the X2 instead while enjoying the improvements of the 8 Plus until then.

Boring regurgitated aesthetics aside, the 8 Plus is good so far. The leap from the small 6 certainly feels nice. Plus the trade value on my 6 helped cover more of the cost than expected.

Not sold on Tru Tone though. So far it just warms the gradient so whites look yellow and I’m thinking of turning it off to get my retina-searing brightness I love.

Oh and I also caved for an iPad Pro 10. Coming off an ancient iPad mini 1...holy fuck. Perfect timing for the Marvel sale I dug into last week(ok, it was half the reason I went to Apple today).

I nearly walked out with a watch and MacBook Pro as well. I loved that digital strip for the function keys, the model looks incredible and it was my first time seeing it in the wild! I just wanted a watch for the gym, but I needed to stop after the two purchases. Forced myself to not even look at 4K Apple TV.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Where did you trade your 6? How much did you get for it?

Apple will buy back your older products at their stores. Website has all the details and pricing to give you an idea, but a standard 6 in good condition got me $145.

Android users are coping as per yoosh.

But honestly, I think I am going to wait for next years showing to move off my iPhone 6.

My jailbreak on 10.2 feels great still so I have no real rzn to complain

Not sold on Tru Tone though. So far it just warms the gradient so whites look yellow and I’m thinking of turning it off to get my retina-searing brightness I love.

Congrats on the purchases. That's not the way I've heard True Tone talked about. A warm shift (more yellow) of the display sounds more like Night Shift kicking in, but I don't know when you were testing this.

killroy87

Congrats on the purchases. That's not the way I've heard True Tone talked about. A warm shift (more yellow) of the display sounds more like Night Shift kicking in, but I don't know when you were testing this.
Nah, when you’re looking at pure white colors, that’s in essence what it does (or appears to do)

JP_

Banned
Wow, these benchmarks are almost as crazy as the amount of effort android fanboys put into trying to downplay them.

Jeffrey

I've already said multiple times that I don't think the 8 is a great investment, I really don't give a shit how it performs but that was a bad video. What the hell are you supposed to learn from it?

I got from the video is apps don't really load any quicker than on 7 plus. Seems to be buggy as well. Apps shouldn't be reloading that frequently. It's like it's a Samsung phone lol.

indask8

I think they'll still take time to catch up with GPU, unless they are magicians, and the fanless/heatsinkless designs limits heavily the performances on the long run.

Jigolo

Now this is interesting. Iphone 7 plus destroys iPhone 8 Plus in 'daily use speed test.

https://youtu.be/P_00J9Tzs-8

Could be due to optimization. But everything about ios 11 feels rushed. Hearing huge battery drain for many ppl,and overall bugginess.

IOS 11 being buggy. Android oreo being buggy.

Bad year for updates?
10 betas (most for an ios beta ever) and probably the most unstable, buggy, unoptimized version of ios I've ever seen as an official release. My ipad mini 2 took the bullet and that's fine but my phone won't be updated for awhile even if I really want the new control center

Ushay

I ask myself the question, do I really need a phone any faster than the one I have now? (S7 Edge).

Simply no. I text, picture message, take photos and play the occasional lite game.

Top Bottom