• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Help, IronGAF.

Have a dinner date lined up this week and on asking her my requisite "what don't you eat" question she said she is both gluten free and vegan.

This rules out pretty much everything I currently cook.

Any recommendations on tasty gluten free, vegan dishes? Does such a thing even exist? Maybe a roast sweet potato salad with pine nuts and cilantro or something?

If you want to go fancy you can make her a vegan vegetable tart. Both visually appealing and super simple + tasty.
Vegan-Sprial-Vegetable-Tart-3-1024x683.jpg

Vegan-Sprial-Vegetable-Tart--1024x683.jpg

Vegan-Sprial-Vegetable-Tart-4-1024x683.jpg

Recipe is here. It's pretty simple and really beautiful too :)

I forgot to tell everyone in here about some massive news. I finish pastry school in less than 4 weeks. I sat down with my executive chef of Boka a few days ago. She wanted to know my post graduation plans since I had been interning with Boka for over 2 months. After talking for a while, she offered me a position as a pastry cook at Boka Restaurant Group's newest restaurant Swift and Sons. I flipped out and accepted the position. I'll occasionally be helping out as a barista as well since I'm specially trained in coffee as well.

After a year of busting ass just to make it to Chicago and finish out pastry school, I'm finally well on my way to becoming the pastry chef I've always imagined. Hopefully 10 years from now I will open the pastry bar of my dreams. For now, this is my first massive step. I've evolved from an intern who didn't know shit, to a pastry cook who knows a little bit haha

This is my new home Swift and Son's. It's been open for only a few weeks and serves well over 450+ covers a night. It is 3x the size of the restaurant I'm currently interning at so I will be learning 3x the amount when I begin starting after my graduation (december 18th). It's interior reminds me so much of Bioshock. I adore it and am beyond thrilled.

I'll be upgrading my phone soon so I can photograph the plated desserts and confections I'll be working on.

Here are a few that Swift offers (photos by my executive chef !) :

:)

zbarron

Congratulations Bento. You deserve all the success in the world. I'm so happy for you. I'll have to tell my brother to stop by. He lives in Chicago.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I forgot to tell everyone in here about some massive news. I finish pastry school in less than 4 weeks. I sat down with my executive chef of Boka a few days ago. She wanted to know my post graduation plans since I had been interning with Boka for over 2 months. After talking for a while, she offered me a position as a pastry cook at Boka Restaurant Group's newest restaurant Swift and Sons. I flipped out and accepted the position. I'll occasionally be helping out as a barista as well since I'm specially trained in coffee as well.

After a year of busting ass just to make it to Chicago and finish out pastry school, I'm finally well on my way to becoming the pastry chef I've always imagined. Hopefully 10 years from now I will open the pastry bar of my dreams. For now, this is my first massive step. I've evolved from an intern who didn't know shit, to a pastry cook who knows a little bit haha

This is my new home Swift and Son's. It's been open for only a few weeks and serves well over 450+ covers a night. It is 3x the size of the restaurant I'm currently interning at so I will be learning 3x the amount when I begin starting after my graduation (december 18th). It's interior reminds me so much of Bioshock. I adore it and am beyond thrilled.

I'll be upgrading my phone soon so I can photograph the plated desserts and confections I'll be working on.

Congratulations! That looks like a really swank place.

Tell your boss I want to steal some of those chairs.

Zyzyxxz

Congrats, I'm hoping I can visit Chicago again next year if I do I'll try to swing by. Likewise if you are in LA let me know and I'll take care of you.

joe2187

Banned
Im too busy to ever take photos of my own plates, so I stole these from our restaurants Yelp page since I recognize the plates I've done from the photos.

I work Lunch/Brunch on the weekends and weekdays so it's always super super busy.

Savory Herb Cakes (herb pancakes served with spinach, ham, mushrooms and poached egg)

Shrimp Panzenella salad ( Fresh cooked sourdough croutons, mozzerella, smoked paprika seasoned grilled shrimp, capers, tomatoes, onions, mixed greens and our house vinnegrette)

Fresh Pineapple French Toast, served with honey butter

The Dutch Baby (german pancake, served with glazed berries and orange chantilly cream...the cream melted before the dude took the pic)

Chicken Curry ( Our most popular dish on the weekdays, Which is well deserved because I make it for myself almost every day...)

Avacado Eggs Benedict ( We make about 300 to 400 eggs benedict plates every single weekend...they're damn good too. This one is served with a chipotle holandaise, bacon, avacado and roasted red potatoes.)

Smoked Salmon eggs benedict ( Smoked Salmon, served with a cucmber mint dressing, sauteed asparagus, and a lemon hollanadaise)

Here are some more pics without descriptions. Ahi Niciose salad, Quiche and Baked Eggs.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
My gluten free, vegan dinner date turned into a lunch date. I ended up making a roast kumara (local sweet potato) and bell pepper salad with rocket, baby spinach, spring onion, pine nuts, and coriander and garnished with edible flowers

As its the start of summer here I also sourced a coconut cream based gluten free, vegan chocolate icecream on a stick. Went down a treat as she doesn't get to eat icecream often.

Will be seeing this girl again, so will be further outside my comfort zone with some of the suggestions above.

zbarron

Im too busy to ever take photos of my own plates, so I stole these from our restaurants Yelp page since I recognize the plates I've done from the photos.

I work Lunch/Brunch on the weekends and weekdays so it's always super super busy.
That all looks incredible.

My gluten free, vegan dinner date turned into a lunch date. I ended up making a roast kumara (local sweet potato) and bell pepper salad with rocket, baby spinach, spring onion, pine nuts, and coriander and garnished with edible flowers

As its the start of summer here I also sourced a coconut cream based gluten free, vegan chocolate icecream on a stick. Went down a treat as she doesn't get to eat icecream often.

Will be seeing this girl again, so will be further outside my comfort zone with some of the suggestions above.
I'm glad to hear the date went well. My wife has dabbled in being vegan, going raw etc. It can be a lot of fun to add an additional challenge to cooking. I feel it makes me more creative when I have to go outside what I'm used to.

thespot84

I sure did, thanks Bento. Grats on the gig.

Anyone ever made 'flour' out of cauliflower? I made "pizza" with ground up cauliflower (akin to this) and while edible, I wasn't blown away by the results. I need to make a gluten free pizza for a dinner, and thought this might be interesting, but I need to make it better than just edible, it needs to be good. Suggestions welcome.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
IAnyone ever made 'flour' out of cauliflower? I made "pizza" with ground up cauliflower (akin to this) and while edible, I wasn't blown away by the results. I need to make a gluten free pizza for a dinner, and thought this might be interesting, but I need to make it better than just edible, it needs to be good. Suggestions welcome.

I've had gluten free burrito wraps/tortillas before which tasted fine, though they didn't make for good wraps as they split too easily. But that sort of thing might make a decent pizza base stacking a couple together? I normally stack a couple of low carb wraps together when I throw together a pizza.

zbarron

I hope everyone had a stellar thanksgiving :)
We did. We actually went lazy this year and got it pre made. I loved cooking with the leftovers. I made a really tasty casserole by just layering the stuffing, chicken, gravy, vegetables, more chicken and gravy, and topping it with the mashed potatoes. While it was pricey to buy it premade it made for a lot less stressful of a day. This was my wife's first paid day off so we wanted to just chill and not worry about cooking and dirtying the kitchen.
I sure did, thanks Bento. Grats on the gig.

Anyone ever made 'flour' out of cauliflower? I made "pizza" with ground up cauliflower (akin to this) and while edible, I wasn't blown away by the results. I need to make a gluten free pizza for a dinner, and thought this might be interesting, but I need to make it better than just edible, it needs to be good. Suggestions welcome.
I don't see the need to reinvent the wheel so to speak. Try a pizza dough recipe using a gluten free flour blend. King Arthur supposedly makes a really good one as does Bob's Red Mill
I've had gluten free burrito wraps/tortillas before which tasted fine, though they didn't make for good wraps as they split too easily. But that sort of thing might make a decent pizza base stacking a couple together? I normally stack a couple of low carb wraps together when I throw together a pizza.
Isn't a gluten free tortilla just a corn tortilla?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Isn't a gluten free tortilla just a corn tortilla?

Looking online, so it is. We don't really have corn tortillas readily available in NZ though. Most stores only stock flour based tortillas, and gluten free tortillas are usually a specialty item not just a corn based tortilla.

So, yeah, I guess try using corn tortillas as a pizza base.

zbarron

Looking online, so it is. We don't really have corn tortillas readily available in NZ though. Most stores only stock flour based tortillas, and gluten free tortillas are usually a specialty item not just a corn based tortilla.

So, yeah, I guess try using corn tortillas as a pizza base.
Well some corn tortillas in store here do have gluten but if you made them yourselves it'd be a great way to do gluten free.
I've made pizza crust and biscuits using a variation of this cream cheese and egg-based "dough." You wouldn't expect it to turn out, but the result is kind of remarkable considering there's no flour.

http://glutenfreeeasily.com/flourless-gluten-free-pizza/
This fascinates me. I just bought mozzarella, Parmesan, and eggs for my first lasagna that I am cooking tomorrow and coincidentally got bagels and cream cheese. If I have enough ingredients leftover I have to give this a try since I just can't picture it working in my head.

I'm not seeing any baking powder in the recipe even. I have no idea how it's supposed to turn out other than the airy cream cheese and trapping air with the whipped eggs.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I tend to eat as clean as possible, but once per week I pig out. To repugnant extremes at times. Which is why I made Bathtub Cheeto Mac 'n' Cheese this past weekend.

It took around 1 kg/2lbs of substandard processed cheese and an entire bag of counterfeit cheetos. As explained at a different thread, it tasted like fear and despair.

I've never been particularly fond of Mac 'n' Cheese (this was more of a dare, really), but I found the Cheeto crumbs work surprisingly well.

Also, I can't help but feel gross when looking at the pictures.

Yuck.

Maiar_m

I tend to eat as clean as possible, but once per week I pig out. To repugnant extremes at times. Which is why I made Bathtub Cheeto Mac 'n' Cheese this past weekend.

It took around 1 kg/2lbs of substandard processed cheese and an entire bag of counterfeit cheetos. As explained at a different thread, it tasted like fear and despair.

I've never been particularly fond of Mac 'n' Cheese (this was more of a dare, really), but I found the Cheeto crumbs work surprisingly well.

Also, I can't help but feel gross when looking at the pictures.

Yuck.
I'm not judging you.
I'm judging you.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This thread got too fancy with InfiniteBento, Joe and Mario doing their thang. I just had to bring some nasty realness to IronGAF.

Think of me as the LiveLeak of cuisine.

Maiar_m

This thread got too fancy with InfiniteBento, Joe and Mario doing their thang. I just had to bring some nasty realness to IronGAF.

I'm on your side buddy, I'm on your side. I consider myself the cooking equivalent to the hardware depot newbie asking the staff if he can repair a door with sticky tape.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Soul Food rocks! Even if it feeds a dark soul.
AF45794F-527D-458B-A653-106AA48B6089.jpg

On a different note, my honoraries held a surprise farewell menu for me yesterday. It rocked.

Tatare as a starter:
image_6.jpeg

Pasta with king trumpet mushrooms:
image_7.jpeg

Sorbet in an ice bubble:
image_1_1.jpeg

MEAT!
image_2_1.jpeg

and the funniest part, vanilla ice cream under a melting (by caramel sauce) chocolate dome:
image_3_1.jpeg

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

my honoraries:
was a great and touching night. I'll miss them.

zbarron

The lasagna was a big hit.
23367806571_c70dcaf9d6_b.jpg

I cut it into 6 big slices. My wife had an entire slice herself which was wonderful since she's in her third trimester and having trouble eating. I ate a slice and gave our neighbors two slices. Everyone loved it. That left a slice for my wife to take to work and one more for me. I'll have to make this again. It was ~$2.67 a serving which is a lot cheaper than going out but more expensive than our usual dinners.

le-seb

IMG_20151201_202756.JPG

Pumpkin velouté with (cheapo-meh) scallop.
I'll need to do this with some decent fresh scallop, but it's already awesome like this.

Hey now I still don't really know what I'm doing lol

I'm an intern fucking up 98% of the time but I like to think I'll get better eventually.

I still love me some class simple food though. Plating is great but nothing beats just making a pile of dumplings and watching anime at the end of a long day :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Some dishes from the week...

Steak sandwiches with rocket, mayo, Swiss cheese, fried onions, and Bernaise sauce

Nutella centered French toast with bacon, sliced almonds, bananas, strawberries, vanilla cream, and maple syrup

Also, after struggling with a more traditional standalone barbeque on my deck which just ended up getting hammered by wind and rain and hardly used, my brother is in the process of making me an epic outdoor kitchen with mains gas grill, refrigerator, sink, and plenty of storage with benchtops made from leftover granite from the kitchen counter. Soooo looking forward to getting it installed over the next couple of weeks.

Silkworm

Steak sandwiches with rocket, mayo, Swiss cheese, fried onions, and Bernaise sauce

Nutella centered French toast with bacon, sliced almonds, bananas, strawberries, vanilla cream, and maple syrup

Also, after struggling with a more traditional standalone barbeque on my deck which just ended up getting hammered by wind and rain and hardly used, my brother is in the process of making me an epic outdoor kitchen with mains gas grill, refrigerator, sink, and plenty of storage with benchtops made from leftover granite from the kitchen counter. Soooo looking forward to getting it installed over the next couple of weeks.

Now that's a good brother! ;-) Of course your cooking efforts look excellent (just look at your recent post -- that food looks awesome!), so I'm sure he'll get some benefit from making this outdoor kitchen in the form of some delicious food prepared with it by you :-D Congrats on the new outdoor cooking digs!

entremet

Wow. That's awesome. I'm an apartment dweller, but outdoor kitchens are fabulous for the summer months.

zbarron

I wanted to share this. I asked my wife's grandmother if I could use her meat grinder since I have a chuck roast and need ground beef for another lasagna. She said she had an old manual one she'd give me that she doesn't use. This was the one I got.
http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/collection/database/?irn=259974
I knew it was old but not 116-118 years old. It's not in perfect condition but all the rust is away from where the food will be.

Me too, me too. I have a quart of sichuan peppercorns in my pantry. XD

I'm looking at general tso's chicken articles and I'm getting hungry for it. May make it this week.

Dinner was ramen, today. I got a bunch of HEB low-sodium chicken broth and a bunch of Maruchan ramen noodles, so I'll be making shoyu ramen since it's getting cold here. Made a batch of ajitama eggs today, too.

Gonna have to get some more protein, though. On Friday I made an amazing Boston butt, and used an apple cider vinegar reduction that was amazing. I hadn't used it too much due to my Japanese training, but fuck it has an amazing flavor. ACV plus sambal and sugar is unbelievable on savory meats and chicken wings.

Zyzyxxz

There's some good looking food on this page, glad to see this thread as active as ever.

I keep forgetting to snap pics of my food but recently I did reminder to take a few pics.

Chuck flat steak, cooked simply in a pan just seared, butter basted, and rest.

2015-12-07%2B03.39.50%2B1.jpg

2015-12-07%2B03.39.52%2B1.jpg

Also I was inspired by reading Rice, Noodle, Fish by Matt Goulding (great book about travelling to Japan whether you havent been or been many times). The section about Hiroshima okonomiyaki really inspired me to try making the dish for the first time. I have to say its easy to learn but difficult to master as its a lesson in timing, technique, and trusting your instinct. Also once you stock up on the sauces its a really cheap thing to make but taste great and is filling. If you're on a budget it's far better than eating instant ramen and its real cooking. Best part is once you got the basic form down you can put in whatever you want.

For those curious about how to make it (ignore the stupid music): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izysqFvM-po

2015-12-07%2B03.39.53%2B1.jpg

2015-12-07%2B03.39.54%2B2.jpg

After making 2 of them I was confident enough to start improvising with ingredients.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Ordered some foie gras filled figs through the internet received a whole raw duck liver in the mail. I've sent an email to the shop to see how we're handling it but if I'm keeping it I'll come back to post pics of the cooking :D

Home-made foie gras....yum.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
That's a shipping error clearly to your favor! :)
Have fun with it and share the results, please.

Made steak and fries this weekend, simple pleasure with good ingredients:

Top Bottom