• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Sorry they should work now, stupid Google Photos changed their direct image link so that its some crazy shit so I'm forced to post it to Google+ to get the direct HTML link... so lame.

Thanks! Worth waiting for!

kgtrep

For Christmas present. They were supposed to be fruit roll-ups, but I turned them into jams instead (got tired of rolling strips).

8MfcAng.png

apple + pear (left)
grapefruit + orange (middle)
prickly pear + pear (right)

Dang you must work reasonable hours and may good pay with benefits? Kinda jealous.
I'm hourly and a supervisor.
9I1LV7e.gif

Benefits and side perks are alright. I need to use our holiday discount to book a room for next year's vacation.

Hours are 8-hour shifts. :p I was doing 4am-12pm as breakfast shift lead, then a spot opened up and the chefs all put in a recommendation and now I'm an outlet supervisor.

It's not my passion [Japanese food], but it pays the bills. Got a lot of debts I've accrued, and I need to get them settled before I can proceed with the next phase of my career. There's a lot of shit I can learn here, though.

Zyzyxxz

I'm hourly and a supervisor.
9I1LV7e.gif

Benefits and side perks are alright. I need to use our holiday discount to book a room for next year's vacation.

Hours are 8-hour shifts. :p I was doing 4am-12pm as breakfast shift lead, then a spot opened up and the chefs all put in a recommendation and now I'm an outlet supervisor.

It's not my passion [Japanese food], but it pays the bills. Got a lot of debts I've accrued, and I need to get them settled before I can proceed with the next phase of my career. There's a lot of shit I can learn here, though.

Cool Japanese is what I love to do as well but recently been trying to get back into my roots of Cantonese/Hong Kong style cooking.

If you decide to move on in the future let me know, I may be in need of people to help me run my concepts in the near future and I'd love to have someone who is passionate about the same type of food as I.

Also hope you guys don't mind but if you are interested in me posting regular updates of my next restaurant that is being built from the ground up I'd be happy to share the progress, so far its just empty space waiting for all the gas lines, water, and electrical work:

ColdPizza

Banned
I've been meaning to make a pan pizza in my cast iron skillet for awhile now, but I've been too lazy to make my own dough so I went with store bought.

I used like a 14" skillet, but I think this was too much dough. Next time I'll use 2 10" skillets so there is half of the dough in each. I'd rather just make my own though, because I don't think the store bought bubbles up enough to make it an authentic pan pizza.

I also used some Don Peppino's pizza sauce. I know some pizza places use that as a base for their sauces, but I found this to be too acidic. I like a sweeter pizza sauce.

The pepperoni is hand-cut. Definitely the way to go with a pie of this size.

I got good carmelization around the edges with the sauce and cheese dripping through.

ImLAA8h.jpg

9caNcXI.jpg

Maiar_m

Also hope you guys don't mind but if you are interested in me posting regular updates of my next restaurant that is being built from the ground up I'd be happy to share the progress, so far its just empty space waiting for all the gas lines, water, and electrical work:
I don't mind at all, I'm pretty interested in seeing a restaurant being built from the ground up.

I've been meaning to make a pan pizza in my cast iron skillet for awhile now, but I've been too lazy to make my own dough so I went with store bought.

I used like a 14" skillet, but I think this was too much dough. Next time I'll use 2 10" skillets so there is half of the dough in each. I'd rather just make my own though, because I don't think the store bought bubbles up enough to make it an authentic pan pizza.

I also used some Don Peppino's pizza sauce. I know some pizza places use that as a base for their sauces, but I found this to be too acidic. I like a sweeter pizza sauce.

The pepperoni is hand-cut. Definitely the way to go with a pie of this size.

I got good carmelization around the edges with the sauce and cheese dripping through.
How does the baking of the top part work? Does it broil in the even for the last few minutes?

ColdPizza

Banned
I don't mind at all, I'm pretty interested in seeing a restaurant being built from the ground up.

How does the baking of the top part work? Does it broil in the even for the last few minutes?

It just cooks like that...550F in the center rack of the oven. It only took 14 minutes to achieve that top.

Zyzyxxz

I haven't personally used this recipe but I remember reading about a no-knead recipe that seemed very simple. It takes awhile but most of the time is just letting it sit there.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

zbarron

I haven't personally used this recipe but I remember reading about a no-knead recipe that seemed very simple. It takes awhile but most of the time is just letting it sit there.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

Kenji actually has a full article on Pan Pizzas using no knead dough.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2013/01/the-pizza-lab-the-worlds-easiest-pizza-no-knead-no-stretch-pan-pizza.html

I used it as the recipe for my first pizza I made.
15116471458_7bb0ab0cf2_b.jpg

It was pretty good. I haven't tried it since getting better at making pizza.
Edit: Beaten it seems.

Milchjon

May have gone slightly overboard with my stew:

cut up cabanos sausage, peppers, onions, half a shredded roast chicken, 2 cans of baked beans, a bunch of cherry tomatoes, sriracha, cajun spice mix, pepper, salt

I call it Dumbo Gumbo

Edit: Worked out way too well!

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
I actually made the kenji pan pizza this weekend as well. Put a bit too much olive oil in the pan, which caused some pretty heavy smoke in the apartment while cooking, but other than that it was awesome.

ColdPizza

Banned
I actually made the kenji pan pizza this weekend as well. Put a bit too much olive oil in the pan, which caused some pretty heavy smoke in the apartment while cooking, but other than that it was awesome.

Yeah, I added 2 tbsp and when I saw it pool up on the edges I wiped up a bunch with a paper towel.

ColdPizza

Banned
Where Were You When You Discovered Kenji |OT|

Hah, I discovered him last holiday season when I needed a good prime rib recipe. Since then I've been a believer and even bought his book.

His "fry sauce" recipe for burgers is ridiculously simple and good.

zbarron

I guess it the Kenji Pizza OT thread now. We made his no knead dough for is fried pizza recipe this weekend as well: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2012/04/the-pizza-lab-how-to-make-fried-pizza-at-home.html

Wasn't much extra work to fry, and came out great.
Some glorious pizzas right there! Mmm...
Where Were You When You Discovered Kenji |OT|

It's always been a secret Pizza OT. The only pages so far at 50pp that don't have at least one picture of pizza in it are 8,11, and 14.

Incidentally I've been making a ton of pizzas this week but going the lazy route. I made a basic sauce, bought some cheap bagels and topped them with sauce cheese and pepperoni before throwing them under the broiler. Pizza bagels are so nostalgic for me.

My All Clad order from their Factory "2nd Quality" sale showed up.

Cannot wait to put these pans to good use. I'm trying to figure out the first thing I should try to make in these new frying pans.

Cool Japanese is what I love to do as well but recently been trying to get back into my roots of Cantonese/Hong Kong style cooking.

If you decide to move on in the future let me know, I may be in need of people to help me run my concepts in the near future and I'd love to have someone who is passionate about the same type of food as I.

Right now I'm in Austin but I'll keep you posted. I've got a buddy opening up his own omakase concept next year and I'll be lending a hand part-time. By the time I leave Austin I should be pretty good.

Keep us posted on your restaurant, as well.

kgtrep

Right now I'm in Austin but I'll keep you posted. I've got a buddy opening up his own omakase concept next year and I'll be lending a hand part-time. By the time I leave Austin I should be pretty good.

Keep us posted on your restaurant, as well.

Hello, fellow Austinite!

So I decided to buy a wok this weekend. Seasoned it Sunday and cooked with it today. Just made a stir fry with asparagus, green beans, onions, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, oyster sauce, and shiitake mushrooms.

At the last minute, I decided to add meat directly to it instead of having the pork chop on the side. So I cut the bone off the chop, and the meat into relatively thin strips. Probably 1/4" thick or so. Marinated them in soy sauce, a bit of brown sugar, ginger, peanut oil, and sesame seeds (didn't have sesame oil as the recipe called for). I figured they'd toast a bit in the cooking process at least.

Threw the cut up chop on first and cooked them a bit, then started adding the veggies and went from there. Happy that despite the high heat mostly throughout the process, my smoke detector didn't go off. Had that vent on high, though! Came out really nice. Sorry no pics, though. Paired that with some leftover red potatoes sitting in the fridge.

Have some leftovers again so I cooked some white rice tonight and threw that in the fridge. That will turn into fried rice tomorrow...

VanWinkle

Speaking of pan pizza, thought's about the only kind I've made since moving into my own house with my wife. It's just so much easier than hand-stretching to shape and size, heating up the pizza stone, putting on the peel that and all that stuff. Been using an oiled 18" pan with a 16oz dough ball in a 450 degree oven. Always comes out perfectly.

rsz0921151053.jpg

rsz0921151053a.jpg

I'll probably go back to the traditional pizza on stone at some point, but I've been loving this style.

ColdPizza

Banned
Speaking of pan pizza, thought's about the only kind I've made since moving into my own house with my wife. It's just so much easier than hand-stretching to shape and size, heating up the pizza stone, putting on the peel that and all that stuff. Been using an oiled 18" pan with a 16oz dough ball in a 450 degree oven. Always comes out perfectly.

rsz0921151053.jpg

rsz0921151053a.jpg

I'll probably go back to the traditional pizza on stone at some point, but I've been loving this style.

Damn, that looks good.

Have you tried 500-550? Might come out even better.

zbarron

So I decided to buy a wok this weekend. Seasoned it Sunday and cooked with it today. Just made a stir fry with asparagus, green beans, onions, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, oyster sauce, and shiitake mushrooms.

At the last minute, I decided to add meat directly to it instead of having the pork chop on the side. So I cut the bone off the chop, and the meat into relatively thin strips. Probably 1/4" thick or so. Marinated them in soy sauce, a bit of brown sugar, ginger, peanut oil, and sesame seeds (didn't have sesame oil as the recipe called for). I figured they'd toast a bit in the cooking process at least.

Threw the cut up chop on first and cooked them a bit, then started adding the veggies and went from there. Happy that despite the high heat mostly throughout the process, my smoke detector didn't go off. Had that vent on high, though! Came out really nice. Sorry no pics, though. Paired that with some leftover red potatoes sitting in the fridge.

Have some leftovers again so I cooked some white rice tonight and threw that in the fridge. That will turn into fried rice tomorrow...
Awesome. I recently got into stir fry and fried rice. I definitely recommend picking up sesame oil when you can. It's cheap, it lasts ages and it's flavor really is unmistakable and I can't replicate it. It improved my stir fry immensely.

I use this one since it's the first one I found. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Imperial-Dragon-100-Pure-Sesame-Seed-Oil-5-Fl-oz/10451695

rsz0921151053.jpg

rsz0921151053a.jpg

Beautiful as always. Are you still using the same dough recipe you posted earlier? That's what I used for the cheesy bread. How do you get yours so thin? Mine always puffs up a ton.

As for temperature I've always been for hotter is better but without toppings my cheese burns before I get the dough where I want it so I might try lowering it.

Awesome. I recently got into stir fry and fried rice. I definitely recommend picking up sesame oil when you can. It's cheap, it lasts ages and it's flavor really is unmistakable and I can't replicate it. It improved my stir fry immensely.

I use this one since it's the first one I found. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Imperial-Dragon-100-Pure-Sesame-Seed-Oil-5-Fl-oz/10451695

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll definitely pick some up soon as I am seeing it pretty frequently in various recipes.

VanWinkle

Damn, that looks good.

Have you tried 500-550? Might come out even better.

Thanks! I think 450 is good for this specific type of pizza, but lately I've been leaving it in for an extra minute or two which gets it cooked closer to my liking. My old pizzas with the stone were always done at 500, though.

Beautiful as always. Are you still using the same dough recipe you posted earlier? That's what I used for the cheesy bread. How do you get yours so thin? Mine always puffs up a ton.

Yeah. It needs to get really soft and pliable since it's a big pan; the oil helps spead it out. It can certainly get puffy, but for this type of pizza I just use a fork and poke it around the entire top surface and it works. You also need to have the right size pan with the right size dough. I measure out 16oz of dough, and an 18" pan is perfect if you want a thin crust like I do.

zbarron

Oh man. I can't believe I was missing such an obvious step. I've never docked my pizza dough.

I just made a blooming onion with a yellow onion double dipped in flour, paprika, seasoned salt, pepper, cayenne and oregano. It was a lot easier than I always imagined it being but just as tasty. I think next time though I'll cut both sides of the onion and do onion petals. It seems like it'd be easier to coat and would cook more evenly.

zbarron

Is that the trick to getting a nice crispy crust?

I use this premade dough from publix(not my pic)

And the top usually gets finished well before the bottom so it never comes out how I want it.
What rack of the oven are you using. Also what are you cooking it on/in. You can preheat your stone or iron. If you are making a pan pizza you can even cook it until the top is where you want it and then throw it on a burnwe to finish the bottom.

ColdPizza

Banned
Is that the trick to getting a nice crispy crust?.

I only use oil when I make a pan pizza, but yes, it makes for a crispy bottom. I was just saying that I think 2 tbsp oil for one pan looked like too much for me, so I soaked up the extra so it didn't start smoking in my oven.

jay23

What rack of the oven are you using. Also what are you cooking it on/in. You can preheat your stone or iron. If you are making a pan pizza you can even cook it until the top is where you want it and then throw it on a burnwe to finish the bottom.

I'm using the bottom rack and one of those flat pizza pans. Don't own a pizza stone/steel but that might be worth investing in after reading a few articles.

Pan pizza is something I never considered making at home, that seems like the best option.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
2TB was a recipe for smoking out my house in a 10 inch cast iron skillet. Would do 1 TB in the future for that size.

A good smear of butter can also work in place of or in addition to oil---one of the secrets of Chicago style pizza success. For some reason, the French President Butter seems to work better than most...

Was looking at the recipe for jay23's linked pizza dough. Is what it recommends. With that much time, i'd expect very little in the way of oven spring.

But then, i've a very hard time finding good flour.

Was looking at the recipe for jay23's linked pizza dough. Is what it recommends. With that much time, i'd expect very little in the way of oven spring.

But then, i've a very hard time finding good flour.

Proofing for 2-3 days is bizarre, imo. Maybe even a day later depending on the quantity of dough. I've never worked with a dough that should be left in the fridge for a few days.

edit: proofing cracker doughs and such should be 1 to 3 hours. Derped and forget we were talking pizza.

Top Bottom