• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony as a gaming company in trouble?

The console still sells and they make money off other published games, they're fine.
But they may need to re-evaluate what they're doing as a publisher because the last 5 years hasn't been kind.
Lmao 2020 literally had Sony releasing this:

- Dreams
- The Last of Us II
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Spider- Man Remastered
- Spider-Man Miles Morales
- Demons Souls
- MLB The Show
- Predator: Hunting Grounds
- Iron Man VR
- Sackboy: A Big Adventure (published and paid by PlayStation even if the studio was not theirs)
- Astro’s Playroom
- Nioh 2 - published by PlayStation

But sure…what a terrible year

They're not going away, but I think they're definitely more vulnerable than people on here like to believe. But it's pointless to discuss on here. Maybe in a few years people will be emotionally prepared to have that conversation.

Image of Spoiler alert.

reinking

Gold Member
They're not going away, but I think they're definitely more vulnerable than people on here like to believe. But it's pointless to discuss on here. Maybe in a few years people will be emotionally prepared to have that conversation.
In a few years when they are leading up to the launch of the PlayStation 6? Nah. Maybe 7-10 years.

Totoki-san is sharpening his blade at this very moment, so PS Studios will undergo some sweet restructuring and optimization, a few young devs will be given new career opportunities elsewhere and the ship will correct its course.

Ronin_7

Sony has put out a lot of money and time with live service games. So far the only title that has made any significant push to this date has been Helldivers 2. The overwhelmingly majority of the top gaming companies in the world today are live service from the Valve’s, Riot Games, Epic Games, Rockstar ect. so it’s no surprise to see Sony making a huge investment in this sector. With the rising cost of AAA games Sony is of the few companies that are still in position to take on this massive problem while these other companies (listed earlier) have transitioned from that position. What can Sony do so that their gaming division can remain successful?
Yeah I'm sure Sony is closing doors tomorrow morning, letters should be going down soon to investors.

anothertech

All signs point to them going third party and dropping out of the hardware game. They should never have put their first party games day one on their streaming platform. And releasing a half powered console this gen really fucked them over.

Oh wait...

Aenima

Sony made more money in the 3 years after the launch of the Ps5 than during the entire Ps4 generation

ABihmEhv2Qp4GPhQmFRynG-1200-80.png.webp

They are doing fine.
Its still amazing to me how Sony decided to still be in the console making business after the PS3. That MOFO only had 1 year of tiny profits and several years of heavy losses. It paid off cuz the PS4 and PS5 gens printed money like no other gen did.
Also interesting to see that in every gen Sony lost money in the launch years except in the PS5 gen where the launch year seems to have been they most profitable year ever.

yurinka

Is Sony as a gaming company in trouble?​

Absolutely not. They are more successful than any console maker ever has been in gaming history.

What can Sony do so that their gaming division can remain successful?
To continue doing what they are doing.

This is their top grossing generation for SIE, they made more profit than in all previous generations combined and broke their fastest selling 1st party game record with games released in 2020, 2022, 2023 and 2024. Plus have recent all time records in basically all their segments and are in a multi year growh in all areas.

I was going to post this image to show their revenue and profit, but someone already did it before:

So far the only title that has made any significant push to this date has been Helldivers 2.
Not true, Destiny 2 The Final Shape, Gran Turismo 7, Gran Turismo Sport, MLB, PS Home, Little Big Planet, Everquest series, DC Universe Online are examples of very successful Sony GaaS.

The overwhelmingly majority of the top gaming companies in the world today are live service from the Valve’s, Riot Games, Epic Games, Rockstar ect. so it’s no surprise to see Sony making a huge investment in this sector
The majority of gaming userbase and revenue comes from GaaS, representing a percentage of the total that keeps growing every year since many years ago.

Meaning, to get stuck making only non-GaaS AAA SP games would be a long term suicide for big publishers.

Sony is increasing their investment in non-GaaS SP games while on top of it also started to bet in several GaaS made by very successful and experienced devs. They are doing the right thing, and as a result they are being very successful.

Last edited:

AteBitWolf

Neo Member
Wukong saved PlayStation this time around. See you in 15 years when they once again release a game that bombs and spreads doomsday prophecies

TrebleShot

Sony could cancel all internal projects and future console releases and still be hugely profitable.

cod and fifa would keep them going for at least another decade.

Oh, pray tell ole wise one, how are they so vulnerable?

This is their most profitable generation ever, by far. And their closest competitor has basically bowed out and are slowly transitioning to a 3rd party publisher, sending games their way, which is free money for Sony. If you want a HD 4K console, the PS is really the only option.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
They're the highest grossing single entity in all of gaming and are currently having their most successful and profitable generation ever, how can they be in trouble for the failure of a single game?
I don't think they are in trouble, but what it comes down to is what is their plan and vision. Like, to use another example, when Marvel was at peak MCU, every movie was making tons of money, Avengers 3 one of the most successful movies ever, etc., they were putting together a plan that was shit like Wandavision, She-Hulk, Eternals, Kang, replace every superhero with a stunning and brave woman, etc.. And once that plan got put into action, it just blew up and now nobody cares and they're scrambling. I also remember when the 2nd of the Soy Wars trilogy came out, all the SJWs were like "lmao losers it's making tons of money" but, then the 3rd one crashed and like, look at it now. It's just a piece of shit franchise. So what is happening right at this moment isn't an indicator, exactly.

Again, I think they're going to be alright, but Destiny flopping, Concord bomba, and the lack of any major release in 2024 (sorry Astro Bot fans) is hopefully a wake up call because whatever led to this is not cutting it.

Last edited:

Griffon

Maybe... just maybe... that making gamers pay a yearly sub just to be able to play online isn't conducive to big multiplayer game success.

Online gamers would rather play F2P stuff or better yet, on PC where there's no fee.

Neolombax

Yes, Sony has been doomed for years now...we're waiting for the company's inevitable collapse. Might be soon though. Apparently Concord is the trigger, from what I've been told.

Yoda

I think some people are being a bit dismissive to the point, while certainly they are in no immediate trouble, their strategy was to lean in hard to GAAS and it clearly is failing (Bungie layoffs, concord, last of us multiplayer cancellation). The company clearly wanted it's software products to have long tail monetization beyond pushing units and w/e projections they had back when they were on a shopping spree for studios are most likely all coming in well below expectations. I think the PS5 generation will continue as we'd expect, but the next generation will most likely need another narrative to drive growth beyond what they can do with good action/adventure exclusives and not shooting themselves in the foot like their competition has a habit of doing.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This is why we haven't gotten a new Knack game in a lot of time. If they get in enough trouble they know they can then pump out a new Knack to make billions. They will be ok.

[Sigma]

Of course not but I feel like PlayStation has been making the obvious bad decisions at times lately the last 5 years or so. Like it's ok to make mistakes/bad decisions on things but just don't make the obvious bad ones.

SHA

Accessibility steals the curiosity to discover the unknown and narrow our view to less than 10 games, I think it's the cost of being lazy, stay physical, even though I prefer digital, it's what it's.

Del_X

Sony made more money in the 3 years after the launch of the Ps5 than during the entire Ps4 generation

ABihmEhv2Qp4GPhQmFRynG-1200-80.png.webp

They are doing fine.

Interesting how OI has halved the past couple years. That looks like absolute shit.

They're not in immediate trouble as such. But there are a few things that have happened that make me think they're not quite as invincible as some would believe.

Jim Ryan 'retiring' (you don't usually see these types of guys on big money step down when it's smooth sailing ahead and more money to be made), leaks about concerns about their strategy moving forward, their mixed GaaS so far, comments from Sony execs concerned with profit margins, Bungie layoffs and speculation, etc.

I get the feeling behind closed doors that Sony / PS have concerns about how they're going to grow in the future beyond the traditional console base. We can see they've made attempts with VR, PC releases and GaaS all with mixed results so far.

People look at them now and think, 'they just need to get back to what they do well, release big AAA single-player games on consoles'. The problem is, shareholders are insatiable beasts who want more, more, more and a the moment it looks like the console market is reaching it's bounds. Not to mention AAA development has become an even longer and more expensive task than ever with single games development starting to span entire generations. You really need to be hitting gold everytime.

Last edited:

Maddoxswe

If you asked me for 2 months ago i would probably write something that you are mental :D But if they continue the dark road with woke shit i believe they would end up the same path Microsoft/Xbox is on right now.

Top Bottom