• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony as a gaming company in trouble?

I still say their best bet was to go ahead with TLOU live game running concurrently with the TV show. They in essence would have been cross-promoting each other. Didn't I also read somewhere that they are trying to relaunch the Predator Hunting Ground game?

Last edited:

Woopah

Like any company they have made mistakes and could do some things better, but they are not "in trouble". They'll have a good fiscal year, even if they miss their hardware target.

Oh, pray tell ole wise one, how are they so vulnerable?

This is their most profitable generation ever, by far. And their closest competitor has basically bowed out and are slowly transitioning to a 3rd party publisher, sending games their way, which is free money for Sony. If you want a HD console, the PS is really the only option.
Agree with all of this, except change HD to 4K. Switch can do HD too.
GET RID OF DEI, THIS THING IS NOT BASED ON PERFORMANCE, ITS A RELIGION BASICALLY BY MENTAL ILL FREAKS
Depends on how it's handled. The proper way is to use DEI to hire/promote the best people and increase employee engagement.

But not all companies do this and instead put too much focus on the numbers.

Hudo

They are probably OK. But I wish they'd put more money and thought into their first-party configuration. Their first-party output this generation is the weakest of all Playstation generations by far.

Orbital2060

Oh, pray tell ole wise one, how are they so vulnerable?

This is their most profitable generation ever, by far. And their closest competitor has basically bowed out and are slowly transitioning to a 3rd party publisher, sending games their way, which is free money for Sony. If you want a HD console, the PS is really the only option.
Their closest competitor is Nintendo.

Woody337

What’s concerning, is what have their big studios been doing for the last 4 years. None of their big franchises have released anything. Eventually that will come back to bite. They can’t live off of remasters.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Unfortunately we're getting many more years of release like concord. Prepare to not be the target audience.

AgatonSax

Right now no. Everyone is focused on “effect” of Concord failure but in the same week they are making money hand over hairy fist with Wukong (which is also shifting hardware).

If the poor judgement of recent years combined with pandering to statistically insignificant groups persists, then maybe?

Mr Hyde

If Sony keeps going on this chosen path of embarrassing live service games they will lose me as a customer. If I'm not the intended target audience then why should I stick around?

Sanepar

Sony should focus on single player games and on their online great games: gt7, mlb and helldivers. They don't have enough studios. They need at least 24 studios focused on sp only aaa games. With 4 per year with their quality they will be fine..

Sony has put out a lot of money and time with live service games. So far the only title that has made any significant push to this date has been Helldivers 2. The overwhelmingly majority of the top gaming companies in the world today are live service from the Valve’s, Riot Games, Epic Games, Rockstar ect. so it’s no surprise to see Sony making a huge investment in this sector. With the rising cost of AAA games Sony is of the few companies that are still in position to take on this massive problem while these other companies (listed earlier) have transitioned from that position. What can Sony do so that their gaming division can remain successful?
Not Sony but PS division absolutely, their investments over this generation have been terrible, the biggest being Bungie and obviously the GaaS push. They are now under the watchful eye of Totoki and his ever present shadow will greatly reduce any future investments within the division.

Kdad

You guys acting as if this first time Sony made a game that was complete flop....
MV5BMDUzOTk1YzAtMmQ0My00ODg2LTllYTEtMzQ3YWJmM2JjZTdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg

Stop overreacting to every little thing.
SONY made HAZE?

JCK75

I think they face some hurdles.
There was a time when I was looking forward to anything Naughty Dog was cooking.. today I just can't think of anything they have on the stove that's worth my time..
not that MS is in any better of a position there.

I'm sure there are plenty of games I just don't know about yet that will change that but for now I'm completely apathetic.

Concord by itself was over a 100 million in investment. Look at the Bungie situation too, you’re talking about billions of dollars. Not only that but you also got the AAA development cost problem that is getting ridiculously expensive.
They also cancelled TLOU Factions, the Spiderman MP game, the Twisted Metal online game as well. They were definitely working on several live service titles but scrapped them. That time was wasted and now those dev studios will have to regroup and start anew on other games which will hopefully be the traditional Sony SP offline types.

StueyDuck

I knew Sony put alot of money into concord, didn't realise it was so much that if it flopped the whole entire company would dissolve 🤣

yurinka

What’s concerning, is what have their big studios been doing for the last 4 years. None of their big franchises have released anything. Eventually that will come back to bite. They can’t live off of remasters.
In the last 4 years they released new games of IPs like:
  • The Last of Us
  • Little Big Planet
  • God of War
  • Horizon (two games)
  • Spider-Man (two games)
  • Gran Turismo (game + later a VR version)
  • Ratchet
  • Helldivers
  • MLB
  • Astro
  • Destiny 2 expansions (*not games themselves)
Plus new IPs like:
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Returnal
  • Stellar Blade
  • Rise of the Ronin
Plus remasters/remakes of:
  • Demon's Souls
  • Spider-Man
  • Uncharted
  • The Last of Us
  • Nioh (* series published by them outside Japan)
Also, nowadays AAA games take 5-9 years to be made, doesn't make sense to complain about the output of a team who released a game less than 4 years ago.

There has been NOTHING from Naughty Dog.
In the last 4 years we got from ND:
  • TLOU2
  • Uncharted Legacy of Thieves Collection (PS5 + later PC port)
  • TLOUP1 (PS5 + later PC port)
  • TLOU2 Remastered
And as extra:
  • Uncharted movie
  • TLOU tv show
  • Uncharted theme park ride
  • TLOU theme park
After TLOU2 they also have been working in the cancelled TLOU Online plus in two new unannounced single player games. Considering nowadays AAA games take about 5-9 years to be made it's nonsensical to complain about their output.

They also cancelled TLOU Factions, the Spiderman MP game, the Twisted Metal online game as well. They were definitely working on several live service titles but scrapped them. That time was wasted and now those dev studios will have to regroup and start anew on other games which will hopefully be the traditional Sony SP offline types.
The Spider-Man MP game and Twisted Metal apparently barely were pitches with a prototype that weren't greenlighted, weren't into production. We also got leaked multiple Insomniac roadmaps and none of them had any Spider-Man MP game.

It isn't a GaaS thing, it's super frequent to don't greenlight game pitches and to cancel games. It happened in all companies in the 50 years of gaming history, but in most cases we didn't know about them because normally happened before they got announced and they weren't leaked.

Sony wanted to have a dozen IPs with GaaS before March 2026, a deadline they later rejected because some weren't going to make it. Sony didn't expect that all of them were going to be the next Fortnite, they knew some were going to fail and other ones were going to be a niche thing while hopefully one or two were going to be a huge success, with the rest performing ok/good.

After acquiring Bungie, apparently their 3 GaaS IPs replaced the 3 weakest/less promising PS Studios GaaS under development, which got cancelled. Other than that, ND decided to cancel TLOU Online because it was going to affect the resources of their SP games they also had in the work. Had to decide between the GaaS and the SP games, and decided the SP games.

So far MLB, Gran Turismo, Helldivers and Destiny 2 The Final Shape are very successful so they should be happy with GaaS even if failed with Firewall Ultra (I assume they saw it coming) and Concord (I think they didn't see this coming, it was a wildcard with a random result). I think they may be specially looking forward with Marathon or Horizon Online plus also have the wildcards with random results as are the new IPs from Haven and Bend.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

Gold Member
Ps portal, helldivers 2, stellar blade, rise of ronin have all been good releases this year.

I've been disappointed with this generation not gonna lie, but Sony isn't in trouble. Horoki is gonna have to make some decisions very soon. I don't think firewalk is gonna be as lucky as media molecule... which is still a developer???

NickFire

I don’t think they’re in trouble. I also can’t believe their management thought investing in Concord was a good decision though. They weren‘t just out of touch with their console audience on that one. Based on steam numbers it looks like they were out of touch with the entire gaming audience on that one. Definitely raises the eyebrows and fair questions about what their next games will be like.

Last edited:

Killer8

They are not financially in trouble but they are creatively. Concord bombing is easily categorized as a financial failure but it also reflects terribly on Sony's judgement. They were not only so confident in the game that they made it their tent pole release for the summer - they also bought the studio. What should've been a one-off failure caused by a bad decision to partner with a third party studio, like Destruction AllStars was, now lands squarely on Sony as a first party failure. The fact they are buying up unproven developers hints at desperation to fill out their studio portfolio.

It's easy to point to pursuing live service dollars as the cause of the rot but live service in itself isn't the problem - it's the way Sony have gone about it. They purchased Bungie for billions expecting that their so-called 'expertise' would pay dividends in Sony's other games. Helldivers II was a smash hit, surprising even Sony, but presumably the Bungie experts also signed off on Concord and Fairgame$ (which revealed terribly). And then weeks ago Bungie was hit with cancellations, layoffs and restructuring. If Bungie struggle to manage themselves and get their own games out the door, what good is their advise for other live service developers? It's like a double divorcee (*from MS and Activision) giving advice on how to maintain a relationship...

Looking beyond live service, their first party library is anemic. You can count the number of their IPs that are still relevant on one hand and they're having to be propped up by third party deals and remakes/remasters. I'm not really complaining as the overall library is good, whether it comes from first or third party. But we are nearly 4 years into the generation now and it's clear which are the productive studios under the Sony umbrella. We've not heard a peep from Bend, Sucker Punch, Media Molecule or even Naughty Dog regarding their next big game. Their British studios are a waste of time. And don't get me started on the downsizing of Japan Studio's rich heritage to make one IP.

Last edited:

Mownoc

They literally released their fastest selling game of all time this year... Lol. Concord flop has made people loopy.

nowhat

Its all more of the same
Oh FFS. The person you're replying was saying that yes, established franchises have seen entries this gen. Which is true. The fact that sequels in established franchises are "more of the same" - I mean, yeah? That's kinda how sequels work?

Not right now, but I'm not sure how they'll fair with cloud services and digital media when compared to the competition going forward. They won the traditional console war and are the only one left standing in that arena, but at a time when traditional console gaming is in decline and facing redundancy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They're not in immediate trouble as such. But there are a few things that have happened that make me think they're not quite as invincible as some would believe.

Jim Ryan 'retiring' (you don't usually see these types of guys on big money step down when it's smooth sailing ahead and more money to be made), leaks about concerns about their strategy moving forward, their mixed GaaS so far, comments from Sony execs concerned with profit margins, Bungie layoffs and speculation, etc.

I get the feeling behind closed doors that Sony / PS have concerns about how they're going to grow in the future beyond the traditional console base. We can see they've made attempts with VR, PC releases and GaaS all with mixed results so far.

People look at them now and think, 'they just need to get back to what they do well, release big AAA single-player games on consoles'. The problem is, shareholders are insatiable beasts who want more, more, more and a the moment it looks like the console market is reaching it's bounds. Not to mention AAA development has become an even longer and more expensive task than ever with single games development starting to span entire generations. You really need to be hitting gold everytime.
Actually that’s the perfect time to retire. I remember Kaz Hirai stepped down as CEO when Sony was doing great especially in the gaming division. I know there is a theory Ryan got fired and I get it but promoting Hulst who was Ryan’s guy said a message imo that the leadership was happy with the gaming side.

The thing about Sony is that they are the only ones who can make these giant games anymore consistently. Other companies like EA, Warner, Microsoft, Ubi, really can’t do it. Rockstar makes one game a decade at this point. It’s a key strength of theirs and the opportunity cost of funding something like Concord or Factions 2 is that they aren’t funding a game they are really good at making.

Actually that’s the perfect time to retire. I remember Kaz Hirai stepped down as CEO when Sony was doing great especially in the gaming division. I know there is a theory Ryan got fired and I get it but promoting Hulst who was Ryan’s guy said a message imo that the leadership was happy with the gaming side.

The thing about Sony is that they are the only ones who can make these giant games anymore consistently. Other companies like EA, Warner, Microsoft, Ubi, really can’t do it. Rockstar makes one game a decade at this point. It’s a key strength of theirs and the opportunity cost of funding something like Concord or Factions 2 is that they aren’t funding a game they are really good at making.
People who retire on top don't get told to take out the trash and close a studio on the way out.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Let some folks tell it, it's clear some changes need to happen...but I wouldn't go as far as saying Sony is in trouble.

In this situation Sony is the tornado, everybody else is trying to get out the way. PC is a tornado shelter.

OKAY BUDDY RAGEBAIT IDENTITY POLITICS CULTURE WARRIOR

No, No

I prefer single player games, i do not like forced anything in life, but you cant disagree with me on this games likd lou2 stories were ruined because of someones feeling being forced on majority, i dont even care about identity politics, but i refuse to buy into it.

Top Bottom