• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS2 still having a shortage?

Or is it just Central Jersey?

Yes, I know some of you will jump all over this like stink on s**t, but my question is an honest one.

My local stores have absolutely NO PS2's. At least the big box retailers (Target, Best Buy, Circuit). I haven't actually asked the specialty stores, since a few weeks ago when it was supposed to have abated. Is this just a local situation or has anybody heard anything or experiencing anything similar?

And, at this point, I expect Xbox to outsell PS2 again for the month of Sept when the TRSTS is released from NPD.

Yeah, I haven't seen a new PS2 in the GTA (greater toronto area) for weeks now. Sony is just trying clear channels of the old PS2 before PSTwo arrives. But the sooner they launch PSTwo the better, cause with no PS2's out there and plenty of XBoxes, Sony is losing out on sales with each passing day.

explodet

kutaragi_ken.jpg

There are no PS2s on shelves? ANYWHERE?
Send out the new models, IMMEDIATELY!

OSR004G1.jpg

SIR, YES SIR!!!

explodet said:
kutaragi_ken.jpg

There are no PS2s on shelves? ANYWHERE?
Send out the new models, IMMEDIATELY!

OSR004G1.jpg

SIR, YES SIR!!!

You may think you're joking, but that's pretty much what they had to do for the US launch. They paid through the nose to get those last couple 100k units with overnight airbills, etc.

Vieo

I'll just say this...

I decided to buy a PS2 like 2 months.(EB screwed me over on my launch day pre-order and I didn't bother with Sony since.). I went to like 3 EBs and 4 Gamestops and 2 Toys R Us' and 1 RadioShack all in one day trying to find one. ALL sold out. Keep in my I live in Brooklyn, NY. When I got home, I used the store locator/stock check feature of Gamestop, EB, and Best Buy's website. According to them, there wasn't a PS2 in stock within a 30 mile radius! After that I just decided to go to this old mom-and-pop store I used to go to back when I was in high school. They had about 10 PS2s left, but they were that crappy network adapter pack that comes with that lame box attached to the back of the PS2 and ATV Offroad(what a crappy game!) AND on top of that, they wouldn't sell it to me for $150. Me and that store's manager go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back and I still couldn't convince him, so I ended up buying on for $189. =(

Anyway, so, just this week, Tuesday, when I was on the train heading home, I bumped into this guy that was in my calculas class last semester. We started talking about games and I told him I just bought a PS2. He was like "Whoa. Wait a minute. Where did you find one? I work at KB Toy Stores and we haven't recieved a shipment for months now.".

So who knows what's going on. Anyone has an explaination for this shortage anyway? Is it because PSTwo is coming?

explodet

sonycowboy said:
You may think you're joking, but that's pretty much what they had to do for the US launch. They paid through the nose to get those last couple 100k units with overnight airbills, etc.
Not so much joking, more an exaggeration. :)
I would say gross exaggeration, but I didn't realize how bad they had it at launch.

But yeah, I haven't seen a new PS2 in ages. I did recently see an opened box PS2 at Future Shop, but that's probably long gone by now.

evil ways

Odd, my local Gamestop and EB still have enough stock it seems, online bundles mostly, especially EB since they stack them in these high wooden shelfs where someone with a small ladder has to get one for the customer.

Chi-Town

The Best Buy near me did get some more in(they were using the PS2 aisle display to hold robosapiens for a few weeks)but I haven't seen many of them in other stores I frequent. I've also noticed in Amazon's daily top sellers that the PS2 has slipped down into the 60s. Probably because of lack of stock.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The local Gamecrazy had an abundant nuumber of PS2 units when I went Xbox hunting a couple weeks ago

Lee-T

TRU has gotten their last shipments of old model PS2s in. They are expecting new model PS2s in around October 20th-30th, but the initial shipment is really low. I think only like 8,000 for all TRUs initially.

AniHawk

I was talking to a girl in one of my classes who works at TRU and she said they haven't had PS2s in stock for months. (This is Pomona CA, by the way)

I'm guessing they're going to be getting PS2s for October and later PSTwos.

Lee-T

Yeah that could be the case. I know my TRU and all the other area TRUs were sold out of Ps2s most of August. We finally started getting them in in September(3 at a time). Our last shipment was 9 PS2s which actually sat there for a week until being sold out. Now it looks like we'll only get the PStwos in stock.

M3wThr33

Banned
AniHawk said:
I was talking to a girl in one of my classes who works at TRU and she said they haven't had PS2s in stock for months. (This is Pomona CA, by the way)

I'm guessing they're going to be getting PS2s for October and later PSTwos.

Good 'ol p-town. Pomona sucks for crap. The Target there is the worst one for sales in the country I believe.

Mercurial

Pedigree Chum said:
Yeah, I haven't seen a new PS2 in the GTA (greater toronto area) for weeks now.
Tell me about it. My original PS2 decided to die just when there's a shortage. I've been waiting forever for a new shipment to come in at an store.

Top Bottom