• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It All Began With... Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep |OT|

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fuu said:
So you actually went on with the plan of playing 358/2 on the side. Good luck on not getting fed up with it, I like the game but it's seriously a borefest sometimes. :lol
Yep. I spoiled myself on the KH stories (such as they are) many years ago. Probably around when CoM hit the GBA, as that was technically my first KH.

I'm only a few hours into the game, and I like what I've played thus far. However, the Command Board is pissing me the fuck off. The die rolls from the computer are so full of shit. Last game I played had Terra rolling a 6, 5, 6, 4, 4, 6, 5... And so on. He never got lower than a 4, meanwhile I'm rolling nothing but 1's and 2's.
Is this something I should get used to or was that just a fluke?

Anyway, aside from that, I'm enjoying the game. The environments seem kind of small, much like they were in KH2, but it's understandable considering the system.

Revolutionary said:
I'm only a few hours into the game, and I like what I've played thus far. However, the Command Board is pissing me the fuck off. The die rolls from the computer are so full of shit. Last game I played had Terra rolling a 6, 5, 6, 4, 4, 6, 5... And so on. He never got lower than a 4, meanwhile I'm rolling nothing but 1's and 2's.
Is this something I should get used to or was that just a fluke?

Anyway, aside from that, I'm enjoying the game. The environments seem kind of small, much like they were in KH2, but it's understandable considering the system.

Just concentrate on getting all four heart blocks(Red, Yellow, Green, Blue) in any order and heading back to the keyhole after.

The pieces you collect in between are just extras.

But otherwise, yeah the computer is broken.

Once Cinderella got three blocks, each two spaces away from one another, and I landed on all three of them in a row.

I normally haven't had issues with die rolls, but last night I had a situation where I used three dice and got all 1s. I was pretty pissed off about that. The game is generally pretty easy to win, though.

Last night I was struggling with
Xehanort in Terra's body
and gave up since it was late. Today I've been thinking and I realized the significance of
Eraqus being Terra's father and Xehanort stealing his body.

Terra represents Final Fantasy while Eraqus is obviously Sakaguchi. So who does that make Xehanort? YOICHI WADA. That's right, the douchebag that stole Sakaguchi's child and corrupted it beyond belief.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to draw this comparison.

Yazus

cosmicblizzard said:
Last night I was struggling with
Xehanort in Terra's body
and gave up since it was late. Today I've been thinking and I realized the significance of
Eraqus being Terra's father and Xehanort stealing it.

Terra represents Final Fantasy while Eraqus is obviously Sakaguchi. So who does that make Xehanort? YOICHI WADA. That's right, the douchebag that stole Sakaguchi's child and corrupted it beyond belief.

I'm sure I'm not the first one to draw this comparison.

Nomura is well known of being the biggest paw of Wada, he would never do that.

Seda

Yazus said:
Nomura is well known of being the biggest paw of Wada, he would never do that.

OT but what is your avatar from? I recognize so well but I just can't think of where its from.

Adam Prime said:
Man so I just popped this game in and seriously... KH2 theme? That's um, lazy. :lol
Uh...that's the KH1 theme.

And it's more cheap than lazy since Utada Hikaru wanted more money if SE wanted a new song. So they were like "eh, whatever".

Crewnh said:
Uh...that's the KH1 theme.

And it's more cheap than lazy since Utada Hikaru wanted more money if SE wanted a new song. So they were like "eh, whatever".

I like the theme so it didn't really bother me :lol

Volcynika

I think I'm at Terra's last boss (or close to it). Is it
____Eraqus____
(if it isn't, I'm still having trouble! :lol)?

I'm at level 27 (critical mode) and I seem to do ok partly it's just I always end up getting caught by an attack and I basically either get one-shotted or close to it. D:

Seda

Volcynika said:
I think I'm at Terra's last boss (or close to it). Is it
____Eraqus____
(if it isn't, I'm still having trouble! :lol)?

I'm at level 27 (critical mode) and I seem to do ok partly it's just I always end up getting caught by an attack and I basically either get one-shotted or close to it. D:

Get the passive skills Once More and Second Chance.

Those help a TON.

Also:
not the last boss

Volcynika

Seda said:
Get the passive skills Once More and Second Chance.

Those help a TON.

Also:
not the last boss

Hm, which crystals do I need to add for creating those skills? Or is it somehow different?

Seda

Volcynika said:
Hm, which crystals do I need to add for creating those skills? Or is it somehow different?

my post a few up.

Seda said:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/psp/943347-kingdom-hearts-birth-by-sleep/faqs/59102

This guide has an excellent section on command melding.

Ctrl F "[COL:CM]" (with the brackets, not the quotes) to find the section quickly.

Seems like the easiest way to get Second Chance is to meld Blizzara and Blizzara with a pulsing crystal and Once More is to meld Fira and Fira with a fleeting crystal.

Also, if anyone cares, Kotaku put their review up. Extremely positive.

Well, I'm near the end of Terra's quest, and I'm trying to 100% everything, which seems like it could take awhile. I should have learned from trying to do this in II.:lol

At least I'm pretty close on treasure chests. Not sure if I'll keep at it or just give up and beat the game.

Seda

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Well, I'm near the end of Terra's quest, and I'm trying to 100% everything, which seems like it could take awhile. I should have learned from trying to do this in II.:lol

At least I'm pretty close on treasure chests. Not sure if I'll keep at it or just give up and beat the game.

getting 100% is going to take a REALLLY long time.

The mirage arena alone requires you to get 9999 arena medals to unlock the last arena challenge.

I'm thinking that i'm not going to bother.

Mael

Apparently the game needs to be installed on the psp to even be remotely enjoyable....
So I think I'll get it next month since I need a new mem card anyway...
Damn, well at least I'll be able to finish Days first

I finished the game! I just cleared the Final Story on Critical Mode with 40 hours clocked. I loved every second of it. Damn, though were some of the final bosses in this game tough on critical. The ending was really nice, great credits track, good feel all around.
I also watched the bonus clip you get from clearing all stories on Proud or above and it was really cool. I definitely need to replay KHII and actually finish and take a stab at that DS Days game some more. I really liked how they kind of wrapped up each game in one final cut scene it seemed before the next installment.

So, yeah, 40 hours on Critical with 82% of the Trinity Archives completed. Good stuff! I would really like to 100% the archives and max out each individual character, but I think I might move back to Valkyria Chronicles II since I kind of put that on the side when I got this game. I definitely think this was my favorite KH game and it's the second best game Square has released this generation (next to Nier of course)! :D

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I think I had played through KH2 on Proud Mode... haven't started the game yet but is that pretty much the consensus to play on Proud?

... to unlock the movie do you have to just beat the game on Proud or do a lot of side stuff?

DarkKyo

Adam Prime said:
I think I had played through KH2 on Proud Mode... haven't started the game yet but is that pretty much the consensus to play on Proud?

... to unlock the movie do you have to just beat the game on Proud or do a lot of side stuff?
I'm playing it on critical and it is so worth it...

Diablos54

Adam Prime said:

If you play on Proud mode then you just have to beat it with all three characters, making sure you get all of Xehanort's reports along the way.

Wooooo

Beat Final Chapter on Critical.

Secret Boss is whooping my ass though :/

The secret movie
so the events in the movie take place between /after the other kingdom hearts games, Was that Diz/ansem that Aqua was talking to?

Seems like Terra, Aqua, Ventus might are gonna have roles in the next KH game(s)

JWong said:
Question... do abilities and all that carry over into the other campaigns?

Of course not. That would be broken, plus you'd have to deal with character exclusive skills somehow.

The final story is the exception.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Finished with Terra yesterday, final boss started to piss me off so I just went cheap on him with the Lightning Ray shotlock + ethers.

On to Aqua.

Fuu said:
Finished with Terra yesterday, final boss started to piss me off so I just went cheap on him with the Lightning Ray shotlock + ethers.

On to Aqua.
Shoot Lock isn't cheap, it's a part of the gameplay system! It's pretty damn handy sometimes on Critical difficulty, but yeah it basically seems like a cool but unnecessary toy when you're playing on Proud.

And yeah it helps against Terra's final boss because the dude warps around so much.

Fuu

badcrumble said:
Shoot Lock isn't cheap, it's a part of the gameplay system! It's pretty damn handy sometimes on Critical difficulty, but yeah it basically seems like a cool but unnecessary toy when you're playing on Proud.

And yeah it helps against Terra's final boss because the dude warps around so much.
It's just plainly unfun to spam it like I did though. :lol I wanted to be cool and use my super sweet deck with all those nice combos but some of his attacks were insta-killing me if I missed a dodge or block, and the fucker clearly didn't want me to be stylish. I was running late after dying so much so I went with it and he was down after 2 or 3 tries.

Fuu

I haven't played there yet but is the mirage arena doable on single player? Is there anything there that's multiplayer only? I have a friend playing BbS but who knows if we'll be able to meet just to play this. I wish my brother's PSP wasn't busted.

Fuu said:
I haven't played there yet but is the mirage arena doable on single player? Is there anything there that's multiplayer only? I have a friend playing BbS but who knows if we'll be able to meet just to play this. I wish my brother's PSP wasn't busted.
I don't think there's anything strictly multiplayer-only but I could be wrong. There's a lot of single-player content, at least.

Fuu said:

On to Aqua.

If you weren't using guard + counter hammer for 99% of Terra's final battle you were doing it wrong.

Fuu said:

The only multi-player exclusive things are D-Links.

Fuu

None of those, hah (ok, except Thunder Surge but I like it so much, I had it right after Sonic Blade for the
Eraqus
fight and didn't change it).

I only used guard to bounce back the black magic balls attack at him and against the flying rocks move that takes forever to end, otherwise I only dodged.

Seda

Fuu said:
None of those, hah (ok, except Thunder Surge but I like it so much, I had it right after Sonic Blade for the
Eraqus
fight and didn't change it).

I only used guard to bounce back the black magic balls attack at him and against the flying rocks move that takes forever to end, otherwise I only dodged.

guard works wonders against his weapon combos. Stops the combo and you can get a free couple of hits in.

Seda said:
guard works wonders against his weapon combos. Stops the combo and you can get a free couple of hits in.

Yeah, it stops his combos, except when it doesn't, and the counter damages him a whole lot... except when it doesn't.

It wasn't even like he guarded or something. It was just 'No, I don't feel like acknowledging you blocked me. I don't want to take damage either, thanks.'

Seda

Pureauthor said:
Yeah, it stops his combos, except when it doesn't, and the counter damages him a whole lot... except when it doesn't.

It wasn't even like he guarded or something. It was just 'No, I don't feel like acknowledging you blocked me. I don't want to take damage either, thanks.'

hmm sometimes my counter attack would miss but the guard always stopped and blocked the attack for me.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Diablos54 said:
If you play on Proud mode then you just have to beat it with all three characters, making sure you get all of Xehanort's reports along the way.

Is that a thing? Or is it pretty easy to get all of them without side tracking to ridiculous lengths (or playing mini games to get them or something?).

Fuu

Ah well, I'll still play more with Terra later for the sake of completing everything and I'll surely kick some final boss ass again some other time. Reminds me how I've never even tried the Deep Space and Neverland command boards while playing with Ven or Terra, at that part of the game I'm too curious and just want to get that character's story done. :lol Same for the Mirage Arena for now.

I remember playing KH1 so much, spamming Trinity Limit for synthesis drops in the area before the final boss while maxing out the stats of Sora, Donald and Goofy because I had nothing else to do in the game but still wanted to play.

Random: died once at
Normal!Xehanort
and actually laughed out loud at what he said at the game over screen,
"I COULD DIE OF LAUGHTER."

Fuu said:
Random: died once at
Normal!Xehanort
and actually laughed out loud at what he said at the game over screen,
"I COULD DIE OF LAUGHTER."

The best part is
that he just completely screwed himself over in the process. So much for that young and healthy body, huh.

Fuu

Pureauthor said:
The best part is
that he just completely screwed himself over in the process. So much for that young and healthy body, huh.
Seriously. :lol What a plan!

Pureauthor said:

Yeah. I hate when that happens in games.

It wasn't too frequent but it was definitely there.

Still better than those damn rabbits at the beginning of Aqua's story, "We're going to hit you in the middle of a combo even if you just cast slow on us, LOL!"

Seda

These guys tick me off at times. Stupid leaf blades.

200px-Mandrake.png

Fuu

It's so humiliating to die from their damn leaf attack from 1 mile away. I didn't even know what was going on the first time.

Top Bottom