• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

Rikkun

Thanks for the kind words, a double dose of Aulin took care of almost everything.
What's funny is that 90% of the bruises on the rest of my body were self-inflicted, as I kept falling while trying to reach my house.

LOL not that drunk then.
Sucks anyway :(

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Japan :p

And yes, it could be feasable to eat some Italian food around here by doing some research but as you said while being abroad it's better to try and eat local as much as possible so it's "I don't want to" rather than "I can't". Japan is a bit different than UK though as some ingredients are just hard to come by. And if you were to find them they would certainly be expensive!

I'm limiting Italian food at just eating pasta for dinner 2 or 3 times a week at home.

Have you tried the pancetta they have at the Life supermarkets there? I saw some in Asakusa and was thinking about using it to make some gnocchi bolognese at the hostel I was staying at but didn't want to chance it tasting completely different since it had the パンチェッタ katakana on it.

Gah, yesterday night I was beaten up for my smartphone and a pair of keys, now I look like Rihanna.

Godammit.

Damn, sorry to hear that :(

Have you tried the pancetta they have at the Life supermarkets there? I saw some in Asakusa and was thinking about using it to make some gnocchi bolognese at the hostel I was staying at but didn't want to chance it tasting completely different since it had the パンチェッタ katakana on it.

Yeah, I tried both that and the one they have at Seiyu and it's not too bad.
Don't trust me regarding taste matters though, as long as it's meat I'd eat anything and still find it delicious :p

Ninja Dom

Never heard of it before lol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Island

www.stoneisland.co.uk

1354278118-09081800.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

I was a teenager in the early '90s, of course I love SI :)

Man, I loved their high collar jumpsuits but especially their jackets, very expensive too. They were the firsts to lead om the "color changing w/ weather' fad, lol, sooo bad (I had a white one which turned blue when it was cold). But thy also paved the way for two-ways jackets (outside/inside-out) and especially 2 pieces jackets, were you could strap the padding as if it was a vest/light jacket when it was too hot to wear the whole thing. That's kinda standard nowadays, but back then it was almost revolutionary.

SI's jeans are also great.
Again, shit was super expensive back then, since unfortunately they were found in every self-respecting "Paninaro"'s (lol) closet and that of course jacked up their prices a fair bit.

Thing is, contrary to most other stuff you could consider as Paninaro's wardrobe, SI was actually good.
Really good.

SmartBase

Probably should've posted a bit more in here but I've lived up here in the alps for two months and honestly there's not much to dislike. Duolingo came in really handy so thanks for that recommendation, I can read Italian fairly well now but speaking is still a work in progress.

Martal

Neo Member
Cari italiani o parlanti di italiano, aiutatemi di nuovo! Anche se parlo l'italiano abbastanza bene non posso sostenere di avere un grande vocabolario. Dunque vi prego di aiutarmi su questo proposito :

Frasi ed espressioni italiani che hanno a che fare con la direzione

In inglese ce ne sono tanti. It's all downhill from here, we gained an upper hand, he's down on his luck ecc.
Voglio fare un piccolo paragone tra questi frasi in diverse lingue.

Dunque tutto che e' simile a questo sarebbe molto benvenuto. E non constringetevi a soltanto "su" e "giu"!

Grazie!

LeleSocho

Banned
How you guys never heard of Stone Island? I have a couple of jackets and they are superb.
It's real that they are expensive but some of their design are just too good.

Cari italiani o parlanti di italiano, aiutatemi di nuovo! Anche se parlo l'italiano abbastanza bene non posso sostenere di avere un grande vocabolario. Dunque vi prego di aiutarmi su questo proposito :

Frasi ed espressioni italiani che hanno a che fare con la direzione

In inglese ce ne sono tanti. It's all downhill from here, we gained an upper hand, he's down on his luck ecc.
Voglio fare un piccolo paragone tra questi frasi in diverse lingue.

Dunque tutto che e' simile a questo sarebbe molto benvenuto. E non constringetevi a soltanto "su" e "giu"!

Grazie!
You can use "è tutta discesa ora" for "It's all downhill from here" but in english other than "things getting easier" it can also mean "everything is getting worse", in italian it only means the former.
"down on his luck" in italian don't have words regarding direction, it could be translated with "non glie ne capita(or sometimes riesce) una giusta"
For "we gained an upper hand" i guess you could translate with "siamo in cima" but that is more a translation of "we're on top"

Martal

Neo Member
Allora allora allora,

dunque in italiano "e' tutta discesa ora" ha un significato positivo? Perche' in inglese, anche se si capisce che andare giu' e' piu facile del andare su, "its all downhill from here" ha sempre un significato negativo.

(Proprio percio' voglio farne un paragone)

Grazie per la risposta velocissima!

UrbanRats

I've always used "é tutta in discesa" and yes, it is only to indicate that from this point forward, things will be easier, or that the hard part is done.
Also, "He's got the upper hand" i'd translate it as "Lui ha acquisito il vantaggio", but yeah no direction in there.

Other terms i've heard (no idea how common they are throughout the country):

"Più in basso di così si muore" - "Lower than this you're dead" referencing, of course, that if you go lower (as status, as dignity, etc etc) you're underground, and you hit rock bottom.

"Più giù di così si nuota" - "Lower than this we swim/more south than this we swim" which i've heard used in more or less the same manner as the above one, but switching up and down for north and south ("swimming" being a reference to the mediterranean sea between Southern Italy and North Africa), i guess you could consider it kind of offensive in nature, but i've heard it used as a simple spatial wordplay, without any malicious intents.

i'll post more if i can think of some.

Rikkun

You could use "andare controcorrente" which literally translate to "to go/going against the stream" (idk if there is a specific term), like salmons do.

It means... not following the general line of thoughts.

I got lost in translation, maybe someone can do a better job :(

UrbanRats

You could use "andare controcorrente" which literally translate to "to go/going against the stream" (idk if there is a specific term), like salmons do.

It means... not following the general line of thoughts.

I got lost in translation, maybe someone can do a better job :(

Going against the grain would be a good translation.

Anyway, i'd suggest you give these two pages a shot:

http://www.proverbi-italiani.com/

http://it.wikiquote.org/wiki/Proverbi_italiani

A lot more than i've even heard of in my life, lol.
Though i don't know how well it does on really specific regional ones.

Rikkun

Yo Italy, non c'è due senza tre, so let's all welcome our third in a row not elected by citizens Prime Minister! Il nuovo che avanza (avanza come la pelle del salame o il picciolo della mela)!

Somax

He'll do an election reform then we'll go to elections, obvious... bwhahahahaha, sorry, I can't say that with a straight face.

This sucks.

Sorc3r3r

Yo Italy, non c'è due senza tre, so let's all welcome our third in a row not elected by citizens Prime Minister! Il nuovo che avanza (avanza come la pelle del salame o il picciolo della mela)!

Impauriti da quello che potrebbe succedere andando a votare.
Non c'e' neppure la speranza che questo sia da lezione a chi ancora crede nella democrazia in italia.
Popolo di pecore.

They are scared of the possible election results.
No hope that this will be a lesson for the people who still believe in the italian democracy.
A country of sheeps.

Copons

After two years of hard opposition against M5S I'm finally starting to think that I kind of like the idea of a ballot between Berlusconi and Grillo in the next elections, because for the first fucking time since I can vote, it wouldn't be my cohalition who screws everything up, committing political suicide over and over again.

This said, FOR FUCK SAKE Renzi what the fuck were you thinking supporting Letta until yesterday morning and then stabbing the government in the back in the afternoon?
Like it wasn't already hard as hell to defend PD conduct. :'(

So, I'm heading back to Italy, for a couple weeks I think.

It's only been a month since I left, but god do I miss that country !
Gonna try to find a job there.

I've left 8 months ago and I don't miss it one-bit! :p Apart from family and friends that is.

Good luck on finding a job there, what are you searching for? Maybe we could give you some advice.

Rikkun

Oh yeah, in which part of Italy are you gonna be?

I'd miss pasta so much if I had to live abroad...
(It's 6AM and all I want is two plates of pasta)

Leeness

Hello ItaliaGAF! I'm going to be heading to Rome in September this year! Please tell me all the awesome things I can see and do in five days! :D

I'm going to be staying in a hotel near the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. Already two things!

Definitely want to see the Sistine Chapel and Colusseum (obviously) so let me know other sites I have to see, please!

I'm so excited. I've wanted to go to Rome for years.

Dash Kappei

I've left 8 months ago and I don't miss it one-bit! :p Apart from family and friends that is.

Good luck on finding a job there, what are you searching for? Maybe we could give you some advice.

8 months is nothing.
If you're close with your family, friends and such it'll start to hit in the second year unless you can go back from time to time (I started doing that only in my third year, before that it was only Xmas, maybe Easter and a few days in the summer before leaving for my holidays). There's much wrong in our country, and I truly loved my 5+ years in one of the best cities in the whole world (London), but I find that a lot of people should consider that maybe, just maybe, the problem is to a much greater degree in the city they live in than the Country itself. If you can only see its problems, or can't find what makes it great, then honest to heart I feel sorry for you but that doesn't make it right. I also loved being in San Francisco but I hated being so far away from my family, not in a mommy's boy kinda way, but in a "I hate I can't just take a flight and be with my closed ones in a matter of hours if they need me or viceversa". I mean, there's so many great cities in Italy, again I loved the UK but 90% of it is awful. I mean, don't get me wrong mate I love Japan and part of its fascinating culture, and to live there a few months as a kid in my teens during the '90s was my hard desire but to read this constant critique on Italy as a country when compared to Japan... it's hilarious to me, for all the wrong reasons.

I dunno, I grew attached to my country more and more as I was away and maybe you start appreciating certain things as you get older... I've lived months in the US, Paris, years in the UK and I'll probably move to Berlin in the next couple of years, Italy is full of problems but it also has so many great things you just can't find anywhere else.
And like any other place, it all depends on the city and what kind of person you are: I have friends who love living in Milan, while I was there for 1+2 years and the best thing about it was being close to my brother when he came back from the US and going to San Siro to see my Inter and watch it steamroll every other team in 2010 :D

Also sorry, but on average there's no fucking match to Italian girls :p

Dash Kappei

Hello ItaliaGAF! I'm going to be heading to Rome in September this year! Please tell me all the awesome things I can see and do in five days! :D

I'm going to be staying in a hotel near the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps. Already two things!

Definitely want to see the Sistine Chapel and Colusseum (obviously) so let me know other sites I have to see, please!

Beware that sometimes you need to book months in advance to properly see the Sistine Chapel (Musei Vaticani) among other things or avoid long waiting lines to purchase a ticket (also stay away from non-official guides/tour operators with their absurdly overpriced tickets and poor services); you can also request a visit to closed/non-public sections.
I suggest you take a look at the official website:
http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?weblang=en&do

First day you should just enjoy walking around the huuuuuge historic centre, you'll feel like in the movie Gladiator :)

Leeness

Beware that you usually need to book months in advance to see the Sistine Chapel (Musei Vaticani), among other things.
First day you should just walk around the huuuuuge historic centre, you'll feel like in the movie Gladiator :)

Oh. If I'm going in September I should book now? How do I do that? Because I can't go to Rome and not see the Sistine Chapel!

I will do that! :)

Dash Kappei

Oh. If I'm going in September I should book now? How do I do that? Because I can't go to Rome and not see the Sistine Chapel!

I will do that! :)

Check my edit :)

Also, if you're in Italy for five days and all of them in Rome, while you could stay a month there and not get bored I would suggest you take half a day (early morning to 6PM or so) to at least briefly visit Firenze. It's 1h30m by train and together with Roma and Venezia is part of the holy trinity of most beautiful cities in the country. Venezia is obviously out of reach, but Florence is so damn close it'd be a shame to miss it... unless you plan on coming back soonish :)

Leeness

Check my edit :)

Also, if you're in Italy for five days and all of them in Rome, while you could stay a month there and not get bored I would suggest you take half a day (early morning to 6PM or so) to at least briefly visit Firenze. It's 1h30m by train and together with Roma and Venezia is part of the holy trinity of most beautiful cities in the country. Venezia is obviously out of reach, but Florence is so damn close it'd be a shame to miss it... unless you plan on coming back soonish :)

Bookmarked. :) They're only booking into April right now haha.

Florence is only 1.5 by train, huh? That will definitely be on my itinerary then. Florence is beautiful!

Copons

As it is almost impossible to list everything, I guess I'll suggest you something that's at least free:

- St. Peter (of course!): it's free but check its opening hours just in case, and avoid Sundays and Catholic holidays. Usually there is no queue to get inside, aside a small one for the security check (as you're crossing borders).

- Imperial Fora: I guess it's the biggest open air archaeological site in the world, almost completely free!

- Non-Catholic Cemetery: also near the Pyramid and Testaccio neighborhood, where you can find MACRO, a museum of contemporary art with a huge and free outside area with interesting exhibits.

- San Luigi dei Francesi: where you can find three Caravaggio's paintings (somewhat free, meaning that you have to pay to turn on the lights, but maybe you'll find someone who did it just before you... :D ).

- Sant'Ignazio: all its ceiling is a tromp l'oeil, including the dome!

- San Pietro in Vincoli: with the Michelangelo's Moses.

- Trastevere: it being one of the most crowded and famous nightlife neighborhood, you'll most likely go there sooner or later, but anyway I'll strongly suggest you to go there by day, because it's also one of the most beautiful place in Rome (so: the whole world :D ).

- Tiber Island: it's probably my favorite corner of the city. Usually in Summer it's raped by all the embankment stalls and even a open air cinema, but hopefully for when you'll come here it should be clean and empty as it's supposed to be.

- Giardino degli Aranci: it's a small park on top of Aventine Hill, totally negligible if it wasn't for the motherfucking incredible view (check it in the link). Keep in mind that it's closed by night.
Also, if you keep going uphill, you'll eventually find Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta (Knights Hospitaller) where you'll find one of the most dumb (but kinda funny) secrets of Rome: if you look inside the keyhole of the Knights building's door... oh well, you'll eventually see it. :D

Not free but worth every single cent: the Galleria Borghese is one of the most amazing museums ever. It being a very old building, floors aren't sturdy enough so it's limited access with mandatory booking in advance.

OH COME ON NOW BOY DON'T BE SILLY.

I'll be living in Forli for startes, then we'll see. I'll stay around that area.

I'll just be looking for a small job, while I continue my research for a job in my field outside, maybe on another continent.
I already have some contacts and was told about a private school looking for a French teacher in Cesena.

I know it's way harder to get a job over there, but even if that teaching thing goes bad, I might still be able to find a job in a hotel in Rimini or around the Romagnola coast, since I'm fluent in five different languages.

I'm trying to get at least a temporary job because my girlfriend still lives in Italy :(

edit: about making reservations for the Vatican... I went there with a friend when I was living in Rome, we just had to queue for like 15 minutes, on a saturday. Hadn't booked anything.
Other friends did the same as me, I still don't get the booking thing's importance to visit the Musei Vaticani.
It actually took longer to walk to the museums from wherever the 23 bus dropped us :lol

+Aliken+

Slightly out of Rome but if you like ancient Rome you cannot miss Ostia Antica
http://www.ostiaantica.beniculturali.it/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostia_Antica

Dash Kappei

edit: about making reservations for the Vatican... I went there with a friend when I was living in Rome, we just had to queue for like 15 minutes, on a saturday. Hadn't booked anything.
Other friends did the same as me, I still don't get the booking thing's importance to visit the Musei Vaticani.
It actually took longer to walk to the museums from wherever the 23 bus dropped us :lol

Dunno man, I'm just reporting on what I hear and my personal experience with it, I've been to Rome at least a couple hundred times (my hometown in Umbria is just 50minutes afar by train) and, shameful I know, have only went twice to visit the Sistine Chapel (specifically the SC, not the whole Musei Vaticani tour): out of those two visits, only once we ended up being able to make it into the S.C. cause that other time the line was half a day long and we were told we should've booked at least one month in advance. That was four years ago, if anything's changed since then I dunno, but better be safe than sorry I guess :)

Bookmarked. :) They're only booking into April right now haha.

Florence is only 1.5 by train, huh? That will definitely be on my itinerary then. Florence is beautiful!

Yep, it's pretty close.
Play AssCreed II before going to get hyped... I'm not even kidding :p it's unbelievable how much of what was represented in that game is still there, all the same. Stunning city.

Aldebaran

Appena visto l'incontro fra Renzi e Grillo. Sarò ingenuo, mi aspettavo un po' più di apertura da parte di Grillo. La sua incapacità a sostenere un dialogo è incredibile.

Copons

Thank you everyone for the suggestions! :D I'm super stoked.

Can I see all that in five days, though?!

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope! :D

But seriously: Roma has a huge amount of stuff to see that 99% of us doesn't even know it exists...
On the other hand, the center is big but not that big and most of the important stuff is pretty much all in a fair walk distance from your hotel (IIRC around Trevi's Fountain). In theory you could even get away without ever enjoying our horrible public transport.
It's hard for a native to give good advices (and also: your travelling habits may be very different from mine) so take this with a grain of salt, if I was you, I'd just wander around aimlessly, with a good map handy all the time, ready to check what you can find around you at any given moment. Or just try to go from a (important) touristic landmark to the next, and just keep scheduled two or three big things (some museums, or like, Trastevere by day and by night).

Now that I think about it, if you'll ever get homesick (assuming you're American), there are a couple of strongly US-oriented bars around your hotel:
- Highlander Pub (around Ara Pacis), home of the barely-legal (as in: people living downtown aren't super eager to listen to drunk foreigners walking from pub to pub every night :D ) pub crawl. EDIT: they also have beer pong tables and there are beer pong tournaments every now and then :D ;
- Scholars Lounge (around Piazza Venezia), it's kinda famous but I've never been there as it's usually super crowded, but I guess it's a good thing. :D

EDIT: I have to say this: Italians out at night aren't very friendly with strangers, so don't expect the same bro-stuff that happened to me like everytime when in USA or UK.
These 2 places, being full of foreigners, are usually much more friendlier than our average bar.

And... let me think...
If you need some suggestions regarding (indie/electronica) live music venues, just tell me.

As for the food: it's fucking hard to suggest something.
The entire center is kinda hit or miss, but usually you'll eat fine almost everywhere (meaning: for an Italian it sucks, but you'll be fine :p ).

Just avoid pizza. Roman pizza sucks, and the good pizza restaurants are far away from the center, EXCEPT Bir & Fud (now close for renovation, reopening March 7th) in Trastevere. I don't really like it, but it's considered one of the best. It also has a good selection of beers, as it's coupled with Ma che siete venuti a fà, a small bar just in front of Bir & Fud, that usually serves some of the best beer in Roma.

Oh, and just because I'm
on fire
on topic, I'd strongly suggest Open Baladin (Piazza Torre Argentina / Ghetto). Baladin is one of the best Italian beers, and in this flagship bar they serve some Baladin beers and lots of other super good ones. They also serve super good food (the dough of the bread here is the same used by Bir & Fud for their pizzas; I kinda hate this baker, but I don't know why, Open Baladin burgers are WAY tastier than Bir & Fud pizzas :D ).

Just keep in mind that for Bir & Food it's mandatory booking in advance, as it's always very crowded.
Open Baladin is the same, but you can't book: you have to go there and put your name on the list and then wait for the bouncer to call it. If you're in 2 or 3 tho, the line won't be longer than 10-20 minutes even on weekend nights.

Ahasverus

So guys I just pass by to say that I love yout country and i hope I can visit it soon, that's my lifetime dream, it evokes some nice warm feelings in me. And I've been learning italian for a while (thanks Pimsleur/Duolingo) and while I know learning italian being an spanish speaker is easy mode, I'm still amazed by how our languages are connected, but to be honest, I find italian to be "more pure". I'm, having lots of fun :D

See ya guys!

Dash Kappei

EDIT: I have to say this: Italians out at night aren't very friendly with strangers, so don't expect the same bro-stuff that happened to me like everytime when in USA or UK.
These 2 places, being full of foreigners, are usually much more friendlier than our average bar.

I don't think " not very friendly" is the right way to put it. There's not gonna be that college-like bro-ness where you're BFF with a tipsy group of strangers you've known for 5 minutes like in the UK/US but much of that comes down to communication: I made friends with a group of girls on my first night out in the UK but I spoke english, I doubt foreigners speak Italian and unfortunately 90% of italian girls/women/guys don't speak any other language, not good enough to entertain any kind of conversation other than "hello, my name is.." anyway.

As for friendliness, I'd say people are very much friendly even at night unless you're drunk/too noisy. Which seems fair to me.

Leeness

Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope! :D

Noooooooooooo ;_;

But seriously: Roma has a huge amount of stuff to see that 99% of us doesn't even know it exists...
On the other hand, the center is big but not that big and most of the important stuff is pretty much all in a fair walk distance from your hotel (IIRC around Trevi's Fountain). In theory you could even get away without ever enjoying our horrible public transport.
It's hard for a native to give good advices (and also: your travelling habits may be very different from mine) so take this with a grain of salt, if I was you, I'd just wander around aimlessly, with a good map handy all the time, ready to check what you can find around you at any given moment. Or just try to go from a (important) touristic landmark to the next, and just keep scheduled two or three big things (some museums, or like, Trastevere by day and by night).

Now that I think about it, if you'll ever get homesick (assuming you're American), there are a couple of strongly US-oriented bars around your hotel:
- Highlander Pub (around Ara Pacis), home of the barely-legal (as in: people living downtown aren't super eager to listen to drunk foreigners walking from pub to pub every night :D ) pub crawl. EDIT: they also have beer pong tables and there are beer pong tournaments every now and then :D ;
- Scholars Lounge (around Piazza Venezia), it's kinda famous but I've never been there as it's usually super crowded, but I guess it's a good thing. :D

And... let me think...
If you need some suggestions regarding (indie/electronica) live music venues, just tell me.

As for the food: it's fucking hard to suggest something.
The entire center is kinda hit or miss, but usually you'll eat fine almost everywhere (meaning: for an Italian it sucks, but you'll be fine :p ).

Just avoid pizza. Roman pizza sucks, and the good pizza restaurants are far away from the center, EXCEPT Bir & Fud (now close for renovation, reopening March 7th) in Trastevere. I don't really like it, but it's considered one of the best. It also has a good selection of beers, as it's coupled with Ma che siete venuti a fà, a small bar just in front of Bir & Fud, that usually serves some of the best beer in Roma.

Oh, and just because I'm
on fire
on topic, I'd strongly suggest Open Baladin (Piazza Torre Argentina / Ghetto). Baladin is one of the best Italian beers, and in this flagship bar they serve some Baladin beers and lots of other super good ones. They also serve super good food (the dough of the bread here is the same used by Bir & Fud for their pizzas; I kinda hate this baker, but I don't know why, Open Baladin burgers are WAY tastier than Bir & Fud pizzas :D ).

Just keep in mind that for Bir & Food it's mandatory booking in advance, as it's always very crowded.
Open Baladin is the same, but you can't book: you have to go there and put your name on the list and then wait for the bouncer to call it. If you're in 2 or 3 tho, the line won't be longer than 10-20 minutes even on weekend nights.

Not gonna lie, I'm not a night life person (or an American (or a guy!)) so bars and unfriendly bros won't really phase me. :D I'll be wandering about and doing touristy things during the day.

If a lot of stuff is close, do you recommend a Roma pass? Also, can the Roma pass be used to go to Florence, or is that extra charge?

Thanks for the food recommendations :D

I'll be living in Forli for startes, then we'll see. I'll stay around that area.

I'll just be looking for a small job, while I continue my research for a job in my field outside, maybe on another continent.
I already have some contacts and was told about a private school looking for a French teacher in Cesena.

I know it's way harder to get a job over there, but even if that teaching thing goes bad, I might still be able to find a job in a hotel in Rimini or around the Romagnola coast, since I'm fluent in five different languages.

I'm trying to get at least a temporary job because my girlfriend still lives in Italy :(

Having contacts is a great thing and with those qualifications I believe you'll definitely have some chances! Good luck!

Roman pizza sucks

Yeeeeeep.... Can confirm this >_>
Or rather, it's very difficult to find a place that does it how the ancient gods command.

Dash Kappei

Bullshit.
Roman pizza rules. You just need to know where to go, for both Pizza al Taglio or Pizza al Piatto. I mean true roman pizza of course, crusty crunchy and thin :D in fact I much prefer it to the softy, thick and smallish Neapolitan pizza which I only love *in* Naples and only cause the tomato and Buffalo's Mozzarella they use is godly.
Milan's pizza sucks, that much is true. I mean, of course you can (hardly) find a place which does a good pizza in Milano as well, but the harsh truth is that 99% of pizzerias (handled/owned by Albanians/Egyptians men who don't seem to care much about using fresh and good ingredients) are terribad... that was the bane of my 3 years living in Milan, lol eating a good pizza was super expensive and something you had to plan to

Unfortunately a lot has changed in the last ten/fifteen years in Italy for all things food. When I was younger, in my early 20s, every fucking pizzeria in my city (in Umbria) made great pizza -Roman style of course!- (well, besides a couple places owned by true Naples-born pizza makers using prime ingredients such as Battipaglia's/Salerno's buffalo mozzarella and Pachino's tomatoes) and all you had to worry about was if you liked the service and if the place was nice: now I admit I'm a super picky guy regarding my food, but even in my hometown the vast majority of pizza is fucking terrible (of course we're talking going by Italian standards) and there's just THREE places left I would ever recommended to a friend... out of those three there's one where you could never go with your lady or with family/friends visiting (looks like shit, super small, terrible service), one which is super packed even on Thrusday and you always need to fucking book at least a couple of days before (we're talking a city with less than 150k inhabitants!) and the last one which is "in culo alla Luna" (meaning: far away, up on the hills surrounding the city).

We had it good back then, we disn't appreciate it nearly enough tho :'-(

Copons

I'm not a night life person (or an American (or a guy!))

Ahahaha what the hell! :D

If a lot of stuff is close, do you recommend a Roma pass? Also, can the Roma pass be used to go to Florence, or is that extra charge?

Thanks for the food recommendations :D

I went to check and it actually seems great: it covers EVERYTHING, it's incredible. And it would also be sort of convenient, even compared to the direct competitor of transport tickets: the 3 days costs 16.50€, while Roma Pass (which includes 3 days of free transports) costs 34€, but FFS it includes everything!! :D

Just keep in mind that whit that card in your hand you'll suddenly be overwhelmed by everything. Don't forget that half of the fun here is strolling around!

I don't think " not very friendly" is the right way to put it. There's not gonna be that college-like bro-ness where you're BFF with a tipsy group of strangers you've known for 5 minutes like in the UK/US but much of that comes down to communication: I made friends with a group of girls on my first night out in the UK but I spoke english, I doubt foreigners speak Italian and unfortunately 90% of italian girls/women/guys don't speak any other language, not good enough to entertain any kind of conversation other than "hello, my name is.." anyway.

As for friendliness, I'd say people are very much friendly even at night unless you're drunk/too noisy. Which seems fair to me.

Yup, maybe "friendly" wasn't the right word, but still, you wouldn't believe the amount of bro-hugs some of some of my friends who barely know how to spell "Hi!" got in one of those bars! :D

Bullshit.
Roman pizza rules. You just need to know where to go, for both Pizza al Taglio or Pizza al Piatto. I mean true roman pizza of course, crusty crunchy and thin :D in fact I much prefer it to the softy, thick and smallish Neapolitan pizza which I only love *in* Naples and only cause the tomato and Buffalo's Mozzarella they use is godly.
Milan's pizza sucks, that much is true. I mean, of course you can (hardly) find a place which does a good pizza in Milano as well, but the harsh truth is that 99% of pizzerias (handled/owned by Albanians/Egyptians men who don't seem to care much about using fresh and good ingredients) are terribad... that was the bane of my 3 years living in Milan, lol eating a good pizza was super expensive and something you had to plan to

Unfortunately a lot has changed in the last ten/fifteen years in Italy for all things food. When I was younger, in my early 20s, every fucking pizzeria in my city (in Umbria) made great pizza -Roman style of course!- (well, besides a couple places owned by true Naples-born pizza makers using prime ingredients such as Battipaglia's/Salerno's buffalo mozzarella and Pachino's tomatoes) and all you had to worry about was if you liked the service and if the place was nice: now I admit I'm a super picky guy regarding my food, but even in my hometown the vast majority of pizza is fucking terrible (of course we're talking going by Italian standards) and there's just THREE places left I would ever recommended to a friend... out of those three there's one where you could never go with your lady or with family/friends visiting (looks like shit, super small, terrible service), one which is super packed even on Thrusday and you always need to fucking book at least a couple of days before (we're talking a city with less than 150k inhabitants!) and the last one which is "in culo alla Luna" (meaning: far away, up on the hills surrounding the city).

We had it good back then, we disn't appreciate it nearly enough tho :'-(

Milan? What's that?
:D

But seriously: the ancient feud between Roma and Napoli pizza is too harsh to bring it up here, and would lead to streaks of permabans that would totally shame the XOne vs PS4 threads. :D
I so so so so sos sosososos much prefer Napoli style, even though I'm a born and raised Roman. And of course I'm talking about "pizza al piatto". When it comes to "pizza al taglio", while there are great excellences around (Angelo & Simonetta, my favourite, and Pizzarium, by Bonci, the same motherfucking baker of Bir & Fud, Baladin and almost every hipster-chic place who serves bread-related food in Roma :D ), I'd say that you can find edible pizzas almost everywhere in Roma, even for Italian super-high standards.

All in all, I must say that after some dark years, right now the food quality in Roma is constantly improving, sadly followed by prices increases (especially comparing to the South, because FFS why the hell I have to pay 10€ for a margherita here, and 3€ in the fucking best pizzeria in Napoli (aka the world)??).
Somewhat luckily, the food culture is spreading a lot, and there are even excellent events every now and then (ie. "Street Food in Circolo", a twice a year event at Circolo degli Artisti, where you can find lots of great street food mostly from around Italy at acceptable prices) that can satisfy even the most picky of tastes!

Dash Kappei

Milan? What's that?

But seriously: the ancient feud between Roma and Napoli pizza is too harsh to bring it up here, and would lead to streaks of permabans that would totally shame the XOne vs PS4 threads. :D

LOL, true dat! XD
Anyway, next time I'm in Rome I'm definitely gonna hit you by PM to ask a couple of recommendations, you seem to have some great leads!

I don't know why we're still discussing whether Roma's or Napoli's pizza is better, I thought we were all in agreement that genoese focaccia is superior in any case.
Anyway, last time I was in Rome (new year's eve) we went to eat to Sora Margherita in the jewish ghetto, classic roman-jewish cuisine with honest prices. I would pay a visit there if I were you.

And check out the Circolo degli Artisti for a night out!

Top Bottom