• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Italia GAF |OT| La terra dei cachi

Rikkun

I don't know why we're still discussing whether Roma's or Napoli's pizza is better, I thought we were all in agreement that genoese focaccia is superior in any case.

1dcb8646bee71af753a2f9af7a044c79b1c64c9ef1481ad37c7e04be11458d69.jpg

Never cared much for good pizza, I just avoid those 2/3 places where it's horrible, the rest is all "I'll have a kebab for half the price" and "yeah wherever you want".

On a side note,
I kissed my ex gf and I feel shit and aroused and ate 200g of Ben&Jerry cookie something while listening to Robbie Williams

1dcb8646bee71af753a2f9af7a044c79b1c64c9ef1481ad37c7e04be11458d69.jpg

Never cared much for good pizza, I just avoid those 2/3 places where it's horrible, the rest is all "I'll have a kebab for half the price" and "yeah wherever you want".

On a side note,
I kissed my ex gf and I feel shit and aroused and ate 200g of Ben&Jerry cookie something while listening to Robbie Williams

No regrets man, they only hurt. I know how it feels.

Rafy

I am Neapolitan but live in Milan and I have to say that little shop that I go to in Via Padova (kebab shop) which is owned by Egyptians has a way better pizza than most pizzerias in the city center. Especially compared to the ones that say they are owned by Neapolitans(Learned that one the hard way).

Edit: forgot, the Egyptians have the margarita for 2.50. Same as what most takeout pizzerias ask for in the Naples outskirts

Having contacts is a great thing and with those qualifications I believe you'll definitely have some chances! Good luck!

Yeeeeeep.... Can confirm this >_>
Or rather, it's very difficult to find a place that does it how the ancient gods command.

Well... still haven't had time to get to actual job searching, but I applied for an internship in Rome... for the UN, once again ! Hoping they'll take me back.

Otherwise, the real search will start this tuesday.

edit: fuck, all this talk about food got me hungry, you bastards.
Thankfully, I had homemade pizza and piadina yesterday for dinner ! :D

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I am Neapolitan but live in Milan and I have to say that little shop that I go to in Via Padova (kebab shop) which is owned by Egyptians has a way better pizza than most pizzerias in the city center. Especially compared to the ones that say they are owned by Neapolitans(Learned that one the hard way).

Edit: forgot, the Egyptians have the margarita for 2.50. Same as what most takeout pizzerias ask for in the Naples outskirts

Lol that's pretty funny my friend, such a small world we live in, I went there often since I used to live in Via Falcone :)
Tho I didn't particularly care for their pizza, but I have to say the Pizza All'Olio they make is stellar! I could eat it every day replacing bread altogether and live a happier life :p

Leeness

You guys, I just want to go to sleep and wake up in September so I can go on my trip. Paris and Rome. Uuugghhhh these seven months are going to be the longest ever.

LeleSocho

Banned
Did i seriously just read that the Neapolitan Pizza Margherita uses Pachino tomatoes? lolwut
It's San Marzano, always and only San Marzano.

Also yeah Roman pizza is disgusting, thin and crunchy urgh... in family we always laugh when we see that Pizza Regina ad on tv "sottile e croccante" lol that's the opposite of how a pizza should be.

P.S. Our disgusting though is always a superior plane of existence than anything outside Italy.

Dash Kappei

Did i seriously just read that the Neapolitan Pizza Margherita uses Pachino tomatoes? lolwut
It's San Marzano, always and only San Marzano.

No you didn't, where?

edit: oh shit you're right, well brainfart right there, I'm no stranger to similar lapsus :p
so' fulminato (e vecchio)
I humbly apologize for such blasphemous fuck up! -_-

Now, if I'm honest and not afraid to look like a smartass :p, I will add that my fav ain't with San Marzano's but (you'll hate me lol) with a selection of Pomodorino del Piennolo del Vesuvio. It's probably a combination of dough, mozzarella, THAT fresh basil, all brought together by that specific quality of tomatoes, but there's no Neapolitan pizza matching that in my experience and for *my* taste.

btw, the crust has to be crunchy, not the dough. But at least we both agree on those sad frozen pizzas.. although I cry a little inside whenever I think there's so many people buying those (my parents do from time to time, and even tho my mom modifies it before serving I'm so disappointed in here especially considering she's a queen of homemade rectangular pizza), not laugh :( I had the misfortune to try the Buitoni one and Cameo (I think) and they were both disgusting, not (only) cause they were frozen, but because the tomato sauce was sweeter than sugar itself and the mozzarella... that ain't mozzarella.

Anyway, I'm glad I'm so open minded that I can enjoy nay, *LOVE*, the best of both wolds :D
Godly roman pizza, Neapolitan's heavenly Regina, Umbria's amazing "Pizza sotto il fuoco", Focaccia Genovese... give 'em all to me guys, I won't complain ^_^
Also yeah Roman pizza is disgusting

shaking_head_breaking_bad.gif

See guys? Opinions CAN be absurdly wrong! Seriously, that's fucked up man, 'twas painful to read

I'll be sure to piss you off and post pics of my mom's pizza tomorrow, me and the lady are invited for dinner and we're having both her legendary margherita and pizza bianca... slurp

I'll be sure to piss you off and post pics of my mom's pizza tomorrow, me and the lady are invited for dinner and we're having both her legendary margherita and pizza bianca... slurp

Do post those pics! I'll try to make a focaccia, let's see how it goes. Last time I tried it was really appreciated, but the people eating it were british so their credibility flew out of the window. The (italian, genoese) girlfriend had some misgivings, of course.

Dash Kappei

Nah the only place where the crust has to be crunchy is on a focaccia.
It ain't pizza if it's crunchy.

I agree, it ain't just pizza. It's BASED pizza :p
Also, focaccia+crust+crunchy... does not compute. Please post pics so I can comprehend such conundrum

Do post those pics! I'll try to make a focaccia, let's see how it goes. Last time I tried it was really appreciated, but the people eating it were british so their credibility flew out of the window. The (italian, genoese) girlfriend had some misgivings, of course.

ahah :)

I will then! Hopefully my phone/iPad's (shitty) camera are up to the task and can make my mom's "rectangular" (oven) pizza justice

I'd love to learn how to make proper focaccia myself, teach me Master!

I agree, it ain't just pizza. It's BASED pizza :p
Also, focaccia+crust+crunchy... does not compute. Please post pics so I can comprehend such conundrum

ahah :)

I will then! Hopefully my phone/iPad's (shitty) camera are up to the task and can make my mom's "rectangular" (oven) pizza justice

I'd love to learn how to make proper focaccia myself, teach me Master!

I am no Master, for I have sinned. The greatest focaccia-related sin there is, using a ready-made dough fit for lowlier bread-forms since I had no time to make it myself.

image3fu4h.jpg

I tried to eat it but it was just foul. Begone!

Rikkun

Do you guys ACTUALLY cook? The only thing I cook is pasta.
I've moved out from mom's house in october and I'm starting to feel the need for proper food

BUT. CIANCIO ALLE BANDE.
What's your favourite brand for pasta? I used to buy Barilla for my mom since it had all those fancy and funky shapes and the blue boxes, then I started buying Agnesi (Tortiglioni, they're cheap and pasta is pasta), but now I feel like I could change (and pasta is not pasta, I'm a cunt)

Copons

I've moved out from mom's house in october and I'm starting to feel the need for proper food

BUT. CIANCIO ALLE BANDE.
What's your favourite brand for pasta? I used to buy Barilla for my mom since it had all those fancy and funky shapes and the blue boxes, then I started buying Agnesi (Tortiglioni, they're cheap and pasta is pasta), but now I feel like I could change (and pasta is not pasta, I'm a cunt)

GAROFALO ALL THE WAY BITCH

Of course there are better brands, but I cannot afford them - or even Garofalo for that matter :D - so who cares!

In fact, Barilla become kinda underwhelming when you get to try other brands. Just compare Barilla's spaghetti with Garofalo's ones... thin and plain VS thick and porous!

But all in all, just go with the cheaper renowned brand you can find. I usually alternate Garofalo with La Molisana and Rummo, sometimes De Cecco o Barilla.

BUT. CIANCIO ALLE BANDE.

Well, when I moved here I had two choices: I cook by myself and risk my life but save money or I go to eat out everyday and live safe and poor. Needless to say being a cheapstake I opted for the first one, and after a couple of incidents in the first few weeks that led to some "And now how do I dispose of this monstrosity, do I have to call the Ghostbusters?" and "Yeah, maybe I should really go to the ER afterall" I think I managed to learn how to cook :p

Right now I'm experimenting in contamination, cooking "things" that are a mix of Japanese and Italian like the Carbonara Donburi* (think Oyakodon with diced bacon instead of chicken), or the Curry Meatballs* (polpette al sugo with Japanese style curry instead of tomato sauce)... crazy stuff insomma!

As far as pasta goes, it is possible to find Barilla, Agnesi and DeCecco in supermarkets here but I prefer to buy the almighty ポポロスパ (poporosupa) which has its spaghetti neatly divided in little 100g bundles! (and it's also cheaper since it's local made, 250 Yen / €1.80 for a 700g package)
I eat pasta once or twice a week, super easy to cook and cheap!
I usually eat it alla carbonara, with tomato and garlic sauce or olio e prezzemolo.
I still need to think how to contaminate it...

*Don't try this at home

Hey guys!

I'm a fairly new GAF member and I just sorta wanted to introduce myself to this community!

I live in Canada, but my parents were both born in Italy (my dad in Frosinone and my mom in Caserta), and moved here with my Nonna and Nonno when they were pretty young. I love Italian music more than anything (I'm a singer), and I was pretty stoked when I found that Italia GAF is a thing that exists!! :p

Nice to meet you guys! Piacere! o_o

eso76

I was sure I'd see this thread being bumped with renewed italian pride after Crozza's speech.

It ain't so, so i'll just post a link to some obscure italian prog rock music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbU0XJGrKg8

there.

So, while it may be a little pretentious (then again, prog rock often is) and while it certainly borrows from several sources, there's some very very good instrumental pieces here and there and it's all quite amazing when you think these guys were 18 at the time, with the vocalist/guitarist/writer/arranger being as young 15/16 when the album was recorded.
This guy in partcular was considered a true genius and indeed this record displays his outstanding, for his age, guitar skills. When they played at the famous Villa Pamphili many famous guitarist were impressed with this young kid's technical skills and it appears some of them went as far as sabotaging his solo, because they felt he was stealing the show.
So, you may wonder, who is this enfant prodige, where is he now, what did he grew up to do.

And here's the shocking answer

Pila

Hey guys!

I'm a fairly new GAF member and I just sorta wanted to introduce myself to this community!

I live in Canada, but my parents were both born in Italy (my dad in Frosinone and my mom in Caserta), and moved here with my Nonna and Nonno when they were pretty young. I love Italian music more than anything (I'm a singer), and I was pretty stoked when I found that Italia GAF is a thing that exists!! :p

Piacere! I visited Montreal a few years ago, you have the finest ladies. :)

thomaser

I'm going to Italy for the first time in a little over a month. We're a group of around 30, and we're going to cycle around half of Sicily. Anything particular I should know? How are the roads there, and the traffic? We're going this route: Noto - Modica - Scicli - Marina di Ragusa - Scoglitti - Caltagirone - Piazza Armerina - Regalbuto - Troina - Castiglione di Sicilia - Giardina Naxos - Taormina. I know people who've been to Taormina, and they all love it.

Pila

I'm going to Italy for the first time in a little over a month. We're a group of around 30, and we're going to cycle around half of Sicily. Anything particular I should know? How are the roads there, and the traffic? We're going this route: Noto - Modica - Scicli - Marina di Ragusa - Scoglitti - Caltagirone - Piazza Armerina - Regalbuto - Troina - Castiglione di Sicilia - Giardina Naxos - Taormina. I know people who've been to Taormina, and they all love it.
I'm not gonna lie: italian roads are bad, you'll find bumps, holes, lack of road signs... in south Italy you got the worst case scenario. GPS is mandatory, people are happy to give you directions but the average dude is not very skilled in english.

Get ready for a great holiday, screw the roads :) Sicily is top-tier, It's been too long since my last visit there.

thomaser

I'm not gonna lie: italian roads are bad, you'll find bumps, holes, lack of road signs... in south Italy you got the worst case scenario. GPS is mandatory, people are happy to give you directions but the average dude is not very skilled in english.

Get ready for a great holiday, screw the roads :) Sicily is top-tier, It's been too long since my last visit there.

Thanks! We have professional guides (and a mechanic) with us, so finding the way should be the least of our problems :) The biggest problem will be cycling 500 kilometers in a week when I have never cycled long distances before. But I'm really looking forward to it. We're going to stop a lot to eat and drink, and stay at some nice hotels. Hoping to get some traditional Sicilian food!

Rikkun

GAROFALO ALL THE WAY BITCH

Of course there are better brands, but I cannot afford them - or even Garofalo for that matter :D - so who cares!

In fact, Barilla become kinda underwhelming when you get to try other brands. Just compare Barilla's spaghetti with Garofalo's ones... thin and plain VS thick and porous!

But all in all, just go with the cheaper renowned brand you can find. I usually alternate Garofalo with La Molisana and Rummo, sometimes De Cecco o Barilla.

Yeah, Garofalo looks expensive as fuck just by looking at the site and package. I'll try it if I can find a place selling it...
I also have Riso Scotti in my city but I hate pasta di riso, it's pasta for LIARS.

Well, when I moved here I had two choices: I cook by myself and risk my life but save money or I go to eat out everyday and live safe and poor. Needless to say being a cheapstake I opted for the first one, and after a couple of incidents in the first few weeks that led to some "And now how do I dispose of this monstrosity, do I have to call the Ghostbusters?" and "Yeah, maybe I should really go to the ER afterall" I think I managed to learn how to cook :p

Right now I'm experimenting in contamination, cooking "things" that are a mix of Japanese and Italian like the Carbonara Donburi* (think Oyakodon with diced bacon instead of chicken), or the Curry Meatballs* (polpette al sugo with Japanese style curry instead of tomato sauce)... crazy stuff insomma!

As far as pasta goes, it is possible to find Barilla, Agnesi and DeCecco in supermarkets here but I prefer to buy the almighty ポポロスパ (poporosupa) which has its spaghetti neatly divided in little 100g bundles! (and it's also cheaper since it's local made, 250 Yen / €1.80 for a 700g package)
I eat pasta once or twice a week, super easy to cook and cheap!
I usually eat it alla carbonara, with tomato and garlic sauce or olio e prezzemolo.
I still need to think how to contaminate it...

*Don't try this at home

I still have to end up in ER but I'm looking forward to it! My problem is that i never had much variety in my diet, I just loved pasta and now I'm getting a little tired of always eating that. I mean, I adored yelling at my mom for giving me dishes I don't like that much... So when I'm tired I just buy a kebab for the exaggerated price of 3.50€ and go broke.
Hey guys!

Everytime I hear "Italian music" I think of Sanremo, Gigi D'alessio and Max Pezzali.

Welcome!

Yeah I guess you'll be going off-road many times. Are you using mountain bikes?

Yeah, Garofalo looks expensive as fuck just by looking at the site and package. I'll try it if I can find a place selling it...
I also have Riso Scotti in my city but I hate pasta di riso, it's pasta for LIARS.

I still have to end up in ER but I'm looking forward to it! My problem is that i never had much variety in my diet, I just loved pasta and now I'm getting a little tired of always eating that. I mean, I adored yelling at my mom for giving me dishes I don't like that much... So when I'm tired I just buy a kebab for the exaggerated price of 3.50€ and go broke.

Everytime I hear "Italian music" I think of Sanremo, Gigi D'alessio and Max Pezzali.

Welcome!

Yeah I guess you'll be going off-road many times. Are you using mountain bikes?
Thanks!! :) haha all good! I'm really liking Giorgia and Patrizio Buanne right now!

Copons

AFAIK Garofalo is like one of the cheapest of Gragnano kind. Usually I find normal brands at 1€ per 500g (not on sale), while Garofalo is around 1.50€, but as I always buy stuff on sale (so, around 1€/1Kg) the difference starts to weigh more. Luckily, my nearest Auchan sometimes put Garofalo on sale.

Anyway, as I was like you five years ago, home alone and without any clues to how to cook stuff other than simple pastas and some random meat, I'd suggest to occasionally go out of your comfort zone, trying to do new recipes.
There are plenty of well written sites where you can learn a lot like Giallo Zafferano, where you can even filter recipes per ingredients, so you get to consume more easily spare stuff piling up in the fridge.

And the one thing that basically saved my life was suddenly figuring that I could put literally everything in a wrap (oh, fuck it, we're Italian so read it as "piadina" :D ).
Ground meat (or hamburgers cut in pieces) + random vegetables (zucchini, peppers) cooked in a pan with a bit of oil + random melted cheese + mayo or whatever sauce you like, all wrapped up in a piadina = profit.
And guess what: you can replace the piadina with literally everything else, pasta included, because who cares if you put hamburger and mayo in your pasta?
as long as you never tell it to anyone, or worse, serve it to someone else :D
So: buy some basic ingredients and improvise a lot. Then your only obstacle will be your laziness. :D

Rikkun

Thanks!! :) haha all good! I'm really liking Giorgia and Patrizio Buanne right now!

*googles Patrizio Buanne*

*leaves thread*

I never got the craze of mistranslating songs. The only one who could pull that was Celentano because, come on, he could do anything.

AFAIK Garofalo is like one of the cheapest of Gragnano kind. Usually I find normal brands at 1€ per 500g (not on sale), while Garofalo is around 1.50€, but as I always buy stuff on sale (so, around 1€/1Kg) the difference starts to weigh more. Luckily, my nearest Auchan sometimes put Garofalo on sale.

Anyway, as I was like you five years ago, home alone and without any clues to how to cook stuff other than simple pastas and some random meat, I'd suggest to occasionally go out of your comfort zone, trying to do new recipes.
There are plenty of well written sites where you can learn a lot like Giallo Zafferano, where you can even filter recipes per ingredients, so you get to consume more easily spare stuff piling up in the fridge.

And the one thing that basically saved my life was suddenly figuring that I could put literally everything in a wrap (oh, fuck it, we're Italian so read it as "piadina" :D ).
Ground meat (or hamburgers cut in pieces) + random vegetables (zucchini, peppers) cooked in a pan with a bit of oil + random melted cheese + mayo or whatever sauce you like, all wrapped up in a piadina = profit.
And guess what: you can replace the piadina with literally everything else, pasta included, because who cares if you put hamburger and mayo in your pasta?
as long as you never tell it to anyone, or worse, serve it to someone else :D
So: buy some basic ingredients and improvise a lot. Then your only obstacle will be your laziness. :D

Yeah my biggest flaw is only going to Esselunga because it's cheap. Living in the city centre I should hit the mercato to score some vegetables. Actually I bought 10 piadine and I didn't know how to eat them because prosciutto cotto is kinda expensive, a single piadina would cost more than a kebab/pizza. I'll try to secure a couple of zucchine and maybe some random red meat and give it a try (and keep on searching for good piadine and DAT PASTA since it's not that expensive). Thanks for the tips Copons :D

Hey guys!

I loved Canada and would love to go back there! Welcome :D

Go eat some Yoshinoya's gyudon right now instead of sullying our finest cuisine! :D

Mwahaha!! I'm a rebel and no one can stop me >:D
Yoshinoya's Gyudon are delicious but I personally prefer to devour Yayoiken's Katsudon like there's no tomorrow :3

Variety is very important indeed... but che ci puoi fa' (what can you do) ? :p

Copons

Mwahaha!! I'm a rebel and no one can stop me >:D
Yoshinoya's Gyudon are delicious but I personally prefer to devour Yayoiken's Katsudon like there's no tomorrow :3

I don't know what that is, so I guess it's kind of time to book a flight to Japan again. :D

Yoshinoya <3 my first and last meal everytime I'm in Japan!
I remember the first time, the i-dont-know-how-its-called "gyudon but with meat and rice separated and a side of salad", had a super futuristic single serve mayo (too hard to describe in words :D ) that made impossible to dirt your fingers. Well, now it's just a standard single serve mayo like ours, dirty fingers included, so I just stopped asking for that plate. Super disappointing Yoshinoya. :'(

I don't know what that is, so I guess it's kind of time to book a flight to Japan again. :D

Yoshinoya <3 my first and last meal everytime I'm in Japan!
I remember the first time, the i-dont-know-how-its-called "gyudon but with meat and rice separated and a side of salad", had a super futuristic single serve mayo (too hard to describe in words :D ) that made impossible to dirt your fingers. Well, now it's just a standard single serve mayo like ours, dirty fingers included, so I just stopped asking for that plate. Super disappointing Yoshinoya. :'(

Feast your eyes on this: http://www.yayoiken.com/menu/index.html And check those prices!

what the fuck am I reading here ?

Carbonara... con pomodoro e aglio ?

lolwut

Hmm, I'm starting to think people might have misread what I wrote...
I eat pasta with either:

- Carbonara (egg and bacon)
- Sugo di pomodoro e aglio (tomato sauce with garlic)
- Olio e prezzemolo (Oil and parsley)

These three combinations go one at a time, not all together, I'm not THAT crazy (yet) :p

Copons

Feast your eyes on this: http://www.yayoiken.com/menu/index.html And check those prices!

Yeah, I searched for yayoiken on Google images and I was totally drooling all over the place. FFS scientists should totally focus on teleport tech, because I'm kinda tired of having to pile up mountains of money and at least 3 weeks of vacation just to eat a motherfucking gyudon (and no: every gyudon I tried in Roma aren't half as good as the crappiest Yoshinoya one). :D

Hmm, I'm starting to think people might have misread what I wrote...
I eat pasta with either:

- Carbonara (egg and bacon)
- Sugo di pomodoro e aglio (tomato sauce with garlic)
- Olio e prezzemolo (Oil and parsley)

These three combinations go one at a time, not all together, I'm not THAT crazy (yet) :p

I already got it yesterday, reading your post twice, but then again you live in Japan so you totally deserve every little bit of hate I could throw to you. :p

Rafy

Lol that's pretty funny my friend, such a small world we live in, I went there often since I used to live in Via Falcone :)
Tho I didn't particularly care for their pizza, but I have to say the Pizza All'Olio they make is stellar! I could eat it every day replacing bread altogether and live a happier life :p

Could not agree with you more there my friend, even their round buns for the kebab are godly! (they use the same dough)

On a different not I just finished making pizza today, it made me so happy doing that again after such a long time.

Also a suggestion to anybody going in Milan, look up the Neapolitan pasticceria in Via Padova. It's not as good as the ones in Naples(obviously) but better than the Milanese ones. Just remember, if you get a babba' ask for little to no rum.

Dash Kappei

BUT. CIANCIO ALLE BANDE.

The only answer:

lol, sorry for the pic, no flash and it's 3am.
Btw, GAROFALO my man.

And Garofalo's "Mezze Maniche" might be my fav (non-fresh/homemade) pasta ever.

Let me understand, maybe I'm missing something here, but you guys aren't visiting Palermo?
I went there a few years ago, full of preconceptions based around tales(from the ass I'd gather), TV, movies, the news...
I ended up not only loving it, but it honestly stole my heart and it is now for me in the holy trinity of most beautiful cities in the whole country (Roma, Firenze, Palermo)
I consider Venezia just an incredible site to visit, I would never live there or even visit for more than 3 days, fucking suffocating. But strikingly beautiful.

It's an astonishing place, the city itself is basically an open museum of cultural meltin-pot and the landscape... sea, mountains, hills... and I loved the people there, super friendly.

Rikkun

The only answer:

lol, sorry for the pic, no flash and it's 3am.
Btw, GAROFALO my man.

And Garofalo's "Mezze Maniche" might be my fav (non-fresh/homemade) pasta ever.

I'll try Esselunga Sunday, today I didn't feel like driving so I went to a small Carrefour Market placed in the underground market of the city centre.

Well I cooked that, and (I'll drop english because fuck it it's past 4AM) l'ho lasciata su 10 minuti come scritto ma mi sono accorto una volta nel piatto che era leggermente cruda, ho scordato di salare il sugo (pomodoro tonno e cipolla) e ne ho fatta solo di pasta due etti e mezzo, + 160g di tonno + pomodoro qb. Ho mangiato comunque tutto soddisfatto, la pasta sembrava comunque buona, la prossima volta ci metto più sforzo

Too Long Didn't Translate: Pasta seems good but I fucked up the cooking.

Tomodachi

Let me understand, maybe I'm missing something here, but you guys aren't visiting Palermo?
I went there a few years ago, full of preconceptions based around tales(from the ass I'd gather), TV, movies, the news...
I ended up not only loving it, but it honestly stole my heart and it is now for me in the holy trinity of most beautiful cities in the whole country (Roma, Firenze, Palermo)
I consider Venezia just an incredible site to visit, I would never live there or even visit for more than 3 days, fucking suffocating. But strikingly beautiful.

It's an astonishing place, the city itself is basically an open museum of cultural meltin-pot and the landscape... sea, mountains, hills... and I loved the people there, super friendly.

Glad to hear this from you Dash :)
I'm from Palermo myself and I highly suggest a visit if you're in Sicily. Ask away if you guys need any help!
However Sicily is very large and the eastern part of the island is beautiful as well. Noto, Taormina, Caltagirone (don't miss Siracusa btw!), I made several similar trips and each time you discover something new. Palermo is on the opposite side of Sicily so it could be off their route (about 3 hours from Taormina with our terrible, terrible highways. You really can't see all of Sicily in a single trip unless you stay months.

Hi guys and girls. Fairly new here too and LOVE the fact there's an Italia GAF thread!

All 4 of my Nonni's were born in Calabria, and moved here to Melbourne in Australia about 60 years ago. It's been quite difficult trying to learn proper Italian when I know the Calabrese dialect so well. I'm now married to a lovely lady who has a Sicilian background, and seeing as though we have (unfortunately) never travelled to Italy before (both in our early 30's with 2 kids under 4 years of age) we figure the time is almost right to make the long trip up to see my relatives in Calabria and her relatives in Sicilia. I've always wanted to see where both my nonno's and nonna's were born and see family ive never met face to face. Eventually it'll happen.

We are now getting ready to make some tomato sauce for the pasta so for us it's a small family gathering next weekend where we will spend Saturday evening getting tomatoes ready, and all day Sunday squeezing that lovely juice out into hundreds of bottles ready for our pasta! Love being an Italian/Australian. :)

Glad to hear this from you Dash :)
I'm from Palermo myself and I highly suggest a visit if you're in Sicily. Ask away if you guys need any help!
However Sicily is very large and the eastern part of the island is beautiful as well. Noto, Taormina, Caltagirone (don't miss Siracusa btw!), I made several similar trips and each time you discover something new. Palermo is on the opposite side of Sicily so it could be off their route (about 3 hours from Taormina with our terrible, terrible highways. You really can't see all of Sicily in a single trip unless you stay months.

Completely agree on the East side being beautiful! I went there twice on a school trip, saw Siracusa, Catania and Taormina and loved it with all my heart!!
Too bad we only did a 1 hour stop in Palermo, I'd really love to see more of it! Also Agrigento!

Rikkun

Hi guys and girls. Fairly new here too and LOVE the fact there's an Italia GAF thread!

All 4 of my Nonni's were born in Calabria, and moved here to Melbourne in Australia about 60 years ago. It's been quite difficult trying to learn proper Italian when I know the Calabrese dialect so well. I'm now married to a lovely lady who has a Sicilian background, and seeing as though we have (unfortunately) never travelled to Italy before (both in our early 30's with 2 kids under 4 years of age) we figure the time is almost right to make the long trip up to see my relatives in Calabria and her relatives in Sicilia. I've always wanted to see where both my nonno's and nonna's were born and see family ive never met face to face. Eventually it'll happen.

We are now getting ready to make some tomato sauce for the pasta so for us it's a small family gathering next weekend where we will spend Saturday evening getting tomatoes ready, and all day Sunday squeezing that lovely juice out into hundreds of bottles ready for our pasta! Love being an Italian/Australian. :)

Welcome! We'll always remember you as the fastest to fall.
RIP in peace MacReady :(

thomaser

Wish we were, but we're not visiting the north-west of the island at all. I imagine there might be a lot of heavy traffic around Palermo, so that might be the reason why we're not going there. Safer to keep to the smaller roads with a big bunch of amateurs like us!

I'm a little bummed that I won't get to see Rome either. We're just changing planes there. But I can always go back later!

What kind of food can I expect, by the way? Are there any famous Sicilian specialties?

Dash Kappei

You sir are a man of good taste.

:brofist.gif

Mango is quite possibly the worst italian cantautore I've ever heard.

Tough call to make mate, there are so many... Gigi D'Alessio anyone?!

Ciao, i miei amici! Come state? Sto un po' stanco ma la mia vita é molto buona.

Bene grazie, anche io sono stanchissimo e stressato

Yo stronzi, I bought Garofalo.

Hell yeah!

Hey guys, it's martedi Grasso today!
So I've decided to bake the traditional Castagnole myself! First time ever and the result... holy shit they're so gooooood, better than those of my Pasticceria!!

Pics incoming!

Dash Kappei

Here's the pics, I've put 'em under quote brackets to hopefully resize them enough and not bother who's not interested. But I think it's in the spirit of this thread to share this kind of things :)

Here we go, hope you like 'em, it was my first ever attempt! Castagnole are also called in many different ways depending on the region (Umbria here, Italy's green heart :), how are they called where you're from?

Btw, I've prepped two different kinds of base, one plain and the other using Alchermes liquor in it.

The Great Beauty: (lol, not really but they're good and they're not supposed to be perfectly round, far from it, especially if homemade!)

Top Bottom