• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

it's baaaaaaack (circuit city games clearance)

teiresias

Here's what I got tonight (not too bad actually):

Siren
Eyetoy: Groove
GTA Double Pack GH (PS2)

All for $33, they also had a copy or two of Baiten Katos. Should I go back and pick it up tomorrow (if it's still there, what makes that game so special?) in case I pick up a Gamecube soon (or just wait for Revolution).

Vlad

Picked up the last copy of Psi Ops at my local store. Thinking about going back tomorrow for SSX3, is it any good?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Vlad said:
Thinking about going back tomorrow for SSX3, is it any good?
Hardly a realistic snowboarding game so if you're a real stickler for reality (I'd ask you why the hell you play video games) you'd might want to pass. If you don't care that the boarders are pulling moves only allowed in the Matrix then you'll really enjoy SSX3.

Jeff-DSA

Meh, I just picked up Ridge Racer (for my bro) and Sphinx for myself.

If anybody can get me a PoP 2 on the Cube I'd gladly give them $20 for it via paypal.

Timo

only had 20 so i got chronicles of riddick and prince of persia: warrior within.

riddick is downright fun.

TheDiave

Banned
I don't suppose someone here would consider snagging me a copy of Transformers for PS2. I'll reimburse you for it. I mean you can't beat $9.99 for that game!

If someone feels gracious, PM me. :)

I grabbed the last remaining copies each at the local CC of Project:Snowblind Xbox, Siren for PS2, and Sudeki for Xbox. Added in Monster Rancher 3 (always been curious about the MR games) and SVC Chaos (not great as we all know, but certainly fun for $10), and F-Zero GX.

No Baten Kaitos available, but I'll be fine grabbing that one when it gets a universal drop to $20 anyway. I just started ToS anyway. The Ebay folks who grabbed all the BK copies can keep them.

Still going on. I actually just got 2 of them during lunch today, and this CircuitCity taped printed listd of all $9.99 sale games on the bargain bin itself.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Matlock said:
I wonder where order66 went. Hrrm. I was hoping he'd post 'em up.

just go to cag, full list is already up

dont bother scamming walmart nexuseggy, the deals suck!

demi

I checked mine out, here are some notables if anyone would like me to get them a copy

- KOF Max Impact (w/bonus)
- Project Snowblind (PS2)
- Siren
- Gladius
- Eyetoy Groove (game only)

GCN/XBOX/etc sucked

As for TRU, that was also a flop, didn't see anything I wanted green-tagged except MMX8 and Bombastic, will get them sometime.

My TRU had 1080 Avalanche for $15 so I picked that up along with a $20 Mario Golf GCN (NON PLAYERS HITS FUCK THAT SHIT HA HA HA)

Nice. I didn't see KOF:MI in the list, there was one remaining on the regular PS2 shelf when I left before but I thought the deal was only on the CE of the 2D games (which i couldn't find), went back and snapped it up since I was heading that way anyway.

MoxManiac

Went back today and the bin of games was barely touched since I went on Sunday. They even had a copy of Baten Kaitos left. I grabbed the last copy of Siren, since a friend keeps hounding me to try it.

EDIT: Went to TRU yesterday and saw a shitload of greentagged Xbox games and some GCN games. The clerk said all tagged games were 30% off. Saw Metal Slug 3 and Riddick greentagged but 30% isn't enough to make me bite...yet.

jgkspsx

If anyone in the Detroit area is looking for Baten Kaitos, the Circuit City in Dearborn on Ford and Mercury has got three left, still marked $50. (Actually, this one and the one at Eastland hardly ever mark anything down -- their employees are incredibly lazy/unmanaged.) The bin has around ten crappy XBox games, while the majority of the clearance list are on the shelves at full price. Look carefully.

I also picked up Ridge Racer DS. I knew it was a piece of shit going in, but what a piece of shit. Nintendo Software Technology should be ashamed of themselves. Dpad control is horrible, the unchangable button layout (X accelerate, B brake, Y shift down, X shift up) is useless, and the thumbstrap mode is laughably unusable. Stylus control is OK (i.e. only as bad as Dpad control), but who the hell wants to steer a car with a stylus? Every menu has the clumsy, non-sexy mascot Ricciardi chick on it (hi John), to boot. It's like a bad shareware RR game -- it looks mostly like Ridge Racer, but it plays like Ridge Tank.

I'm sure I'll be able to sell it for cost, though.

Vallarfax

Formerly 'GMUNYIFan'
I finally made it to a local CC. Got myself:

XIII - GCN
Eyetoy Groove
Gungrave Overdose

I'm pretty upset that they didn't have any of the really good GCN games there. I thought about Pokemon Channel for about 30 seconds, but then realized that I knew absolutely nothing about the game so I decided not to get it. I really wanted Baten Kaitos and Megaman Anniversary.

Just picked up Bloodrayne 2 (PS2) in addition to my previous haul;

Metal Arms PS2
Nanoreaker
Project Snowblind Xbox
Spiderman 2 Xbox

In the two CCs I went to, it seemed that the following games were common with a lot in stock;

Sphinx Xbox & PS2
Duel Masters (I think this is the name, it was for the GC)
True Crime - GC
Vietcong - Xbox
Tony Hawk Underground 2
Bloodrayne 2 PS2
Spyro (not sure of the system)
Metal Arms - PS2
SRS Racing.

Overall, the sale was a success. Can't complain with what I walked away with.

Ristamar

I picked up PoP2 and Baten Kaitos, so I guess I can't complain. I'd like to get THUG 1 and 2. the GTA Double pack is non-existent around here, unfortunately. Other than that, I already have most of the decent games, IMO, on the list (SSX3, Metal Arms, F-Zero, Gladius, etc).

I noticed a few of the CC's in my area hadn't put everything in the $10 bin. There were at least 6 copies of Baten Kaitos on the shelves (though I already got one from a different CC), as well as a handful of True Crime. I think I'm gonna have to go back and try to nab True Crime and check the shelves for other stuff.

Vlad

Jive Turkey said:
Hardly a realistic snowboarding game so if you're a real stickler for reality (I'd ask you why the hell you play video games) you'd might want to pass. If you don't care that the boarders are pulling moves only allowed in the Matrix then you'll really enjoy SSX3.

Ended up getting the game a few days ago, and once I got a feel for it, it's pretty fun. One thing that's really bugging me though is the downright stupid control schemes they offered in regards to tricks.

So instead of offering fully configurable controls, there's either "Default" or "Pro", with the only difference being that two buttons are switched and from what I can tell, it's impossible to do any spins or flips in "Default", and since I kind of wanted to do spins and flips and such, I'm using "Pro".

All's well and good, and once I figure out how the trick system works, I'm off doing all the crazy ubertricks and such, and the game is fun. I then find the screen that tells you how to do all your rider's ubertricks, and figure out through that that holding L+R actually is a different grab altogether, and that the X button also functions as a different grab, allowing for different combinations, which is pretty neat.

However, the developers didn't appear to actually PLAY the Cube version long enough to actually try all of the combinations, as around half of the ubertricks require you to push at least X and B at the same time, which you simply can't do with a thumb of normal size. This also reduces the amount of regular tricks available.

What really stinks is that they could have EASILY just set X to be the handplant button and Y to be the fourth grab button, and I could at least have somehow managed to get my thumb over both buttons. Even better would have been making Y the fourth grab, and X the boost/tweak button, so that they would have been easily pressable at the same time.

Now it's just going to bother me knowing that there's a whole group of tricks that I simply won't be able to use without resorting to a spinless control scheme (wtf is with that, anyway?), or contorting my hand to be able to be able to hit R, X, and B easily.

Bah.

Ristamar

Vlad said:
Ended up getting the game a few days ago, and once I got a feel for it, it's pretty fun. One thing that's really bugging me though is the downright stupid control schemes they offered in regards to tricks.

So instead of offering fully configurable controls, there's either "Default" or "Pro", with the only difference being that two buttons are switched and from what I can tell, it's impossible to do any spins or flips in "Default", and since I kind of wanted to do spins and flips and such, I'm using "Pro".

All's well and good, and once I figure out how the trick system works, I'm off doing all the crazy ubertricks and such, and the game is fun. I then find the screen that tells you how to do all your rider's ubertricks, and figure out through that that holding L+R actually is a different grab altogether, and that the X button also functions as a different grab, allowing for different combinations, which is pretty neat.

However, the developers didn't appear to actually PLAY the Cube version long enough to actually try all of the combinations, as around half of the ubertricks require you to push at least X and B at the same time, which you simply can't do with a thumb of normal size. This also reduces the amount of regular tricks available.

What really stinks is that they could have EASILY just set X to be the handplant button and Y to be the fourth grab button, and I could at least have somehow managed to get my thumb over both buttons. Even better would have been making Y the fourth grab, and X the boost/tweak button, so that they would have been easily pressable at the same time.

Now it's just going to bother me knowing that there's a whole group of tricks that I simply won't be able to use without resorting to a spinless control scheme (wtf is with that, anyway?), or contorting my hand to be able to be able to hit R, X, and B easily.

Bah.

I made the same mistake, at first (switching to Pro). I soon realized the Default control scheme is the only workable setup. Once you get accustomed to steering with the analog stick and quickly switching to the d-pad to wind-up spins and flips, it's relatively simple. After an hour or two of play, it will become second nature. Pro will only lead to further frustration.

Vlad

Ristamar said:
I made the same mistake, at first (switching to Pro). I soon realized the Default control scheme is the only workable setup. Once you get accustomed to steering with the analog stick and quickly switching to the d-pad to wind-up spins and flips, it's relatively simple. After an hour or two of play, it will become second nature. Pro will only lead to further frustration.

That's how you spin using the default controls??

Well, there's NO way that I'm going to bother doing that. I got used to having to constantly manipulate the C stick for manuals (or whatever the snowboarding equivalent is), but having to switch from the stick to the pad to do any flips or spins (which I do on practically every jump), is just nuts. Either way, it still seems like they didn't even bother playing with either setup, as both of them have pretty major problems.

You'd really think that something like that would be mentioned in the reviews for the game.

Ristamar

Well, you can just use the d-pad to steer, but then you run this risk of accidentally starting a spin or flip any time you catch a bit of air (which is a problem on any version you play).

Honestly, it's not that hard after a bit of practice. Just give it time.

Vlad

Ristamar said:
Well, you can just use the d-pad to steer, but then you run this risk of accidentally starting a spin or flip any time you catch a bit of air (which is a problem on any version you play).

Honestly, it's not that hard after a bit of practice. Just give it time.

Well, if I did that, then I wouldn't have the analog control when doing regular turns.

How are the graphics and load times on the PS2 version? If they're not horribly worse, then I may look into trading the Cube version in towards a used copy or something. I don't think I've ever been this bothered by a control scheme in quite some time, but I do like the game itself.

This thing is still going on, I popped in yesterday as I was passing by. However, though I had heard there were some restocks that wasn't the case here. Same exact Street Racing Syndicate, F-Zero, Mafia, some Duel Masters game, Primal, etc. that people just don't want despite some being quite worthy.

BuddyC

Every CC I visit is out of Baten Kaitos :(

Did pick up Galleon at TRU though. Figure I won't see it cheaper than $15, so hey, why not, I always wanted to give it a go, best to grab it while it's cheap and maybe come away with an enjoyable game.

Top Bottom