• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J-Stars Victory Vs+ Announced For North America (PS3/PSV/PS4)

Usobuko

Banned
I'm just a journalist! Haha.

But I can say that they're not going to bring Gundam back.

Hell, according to the producer's own words, they're making Rise of Incarnates specifically as a way to deliver Gundam Extreme Vs. gameplay to audiences that "wouldn't care" about a Gundam game.

The game is being made in Japan and will not be released in Japan. That's how damn serious they are about not letting Gundam out of Japan.

I think you meant not letting Gundam out of Asia :p

As far as Japanese aesthetic and game designs go, it's very apparent with last gen trend so I only hope Asia will grow bigger and comparable to the West. This will make way for chinese localisation for the faithful.

S033t93.gif

On my Vita Day One!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Seeing as some people aren't familiar with the roster, here's a list of every franchise & who's playable & who's support. Franchises are in alphabetical order.

Assassination Classroom - Koro-Sensei

Beelzebub - Tatsumi Oga (with Beelzebub)

Bleach - Ichigo Kurosaki, Sōsuke Aizen, Rukia (support)

Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo - Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

Chinyūki: Tarō to Yukaina Nakama-tachi - Tarō Yamada

D.Gray-man - Allen Walker (support)

Dr. Slump - Arale

Dragon Ball Z - Goku, Vegeta, Freeza

Fist of the North Star - Kenshirō, Raoh

Gintama - Gintoki Sakata, Kagura and Sadaharu (support)

Haikyu!! - Shōyō Hinata (support)

Hell Teacher Nube - Meisuke "Nube" Nueno

Hunter x Hunter - Gon Freecss, Killua Zoldyck, Hisoka (support)

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - Jonathan Joestar, (Part 2) Joseph Joestar

Kochira Katsushika-ku Kamearikouen-mae Hashutsujo - Kankichi Ryōtsu

Kuroko's Basketball - Tetsuya Kuroko (support)

Medaka Box - Medaka Kurokami, Misogi Kumagawa (support)

Naruto Shippūden - Naruto Uzumaki, Sasuke Uchiha, Madara Uchiha

Neuro: Supernatural Detective - Neuro (support)

Nisekoi - Chitoge Kirisaki (support)

One Piece - Luffy, Boa Hancock, Akainu, Ace

Pyu to Fuku! Jaguar - Jaguar (support)

Reborn! - Tsunayoshi Sawada (with Reborn)

Rurouni Kenshin - Kenshin Himura, Makoto Shishio

Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan - Kusuo Saikio

Saint Seiya - Seiya

Sakigake!! Otoko Juku - Momotarō Tsurugi, Heihachi Edajima (support)

Sket Dance - Bossun, Himeko, Switch (they're considered one support character)

To Love-Ru - Lala (support)

Toriko - Toriko, Zebra

Tottemo! Luckyman - Luckyman

Yū Yū Hakusho - Yūsuke Urameshi, (Younger) Toguro, Hiei

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why cut the characters and not the music?!
I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get the Anison Edition with all the anime OPs for each of the franchises represented in playable form.

....though I could've sworn this had a custom soundtrack option.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah I think it's safe to say all these are in the Plus version so far.
The weird thing is, every franchise is represented in that poster. Unless that poster was for the Japanese version, it'd be weird if they were promoting the game with every franchise, yet say someone has to be removed, & I'm pretty sure there isn't any franchise who only appears as a NPC in Story Mode.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I know that Hunter X Hunter is licensed by some mystery company in the west who's just sitting on the license, so I hope they won't be cut because of complications with that company.

Huh? They're not doing anything with it? Is that why there's no dub?

I-hate-u

I wouldn't mind if Namco made a swift decision to add Hanamichi in this. Wouldn't mind at all. Matter of fact, I demand that to happen.

Yeah I am salty. Slam Dunk was so popular in Japan, and was credited for helping popularize basketball in the country in the 90s. Who was in charge of roster selection that didn't put a rep in the game?

Same with Tsubasa.

antibolo

Banned
I skipped on importing this game because I pretty much heard only bad things about it.

But a localization? Plus a PS4 version? Yeah I'm ready for this.

Still can't believe they managed to clear up all the rights for this.

Hey Sega, Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax localization when????? No wait Sega doesn't care.

I wouldn't mind if Namco made a swift decision to add Hanamichi in this. Wouldn't mind at all. Matter of fact, I demand that to happen.

Yeah I am salty. Slam Dunk was so popular in Japan, and was credited for helping popularize basketball in the country in the 90s. Who was in charge of roster selection that didn't put a rep in the game?

Same with Tsubasa.

Personally, I'm salty that Allen Walker is just support. Yes yes, I know, D.Gray-man had a decline in popularity and hasn't been part of the WSJ lineup in years. But still, it was mad popular at one point during its WSJ run; that's got to count for something, considering a chunk of these fill the same criteria.

I'll take more characters wherever we can get them, though.

antibolo

Banned
Ah crap, characters will be missing?

That's going to suck.

If they're cutting characters then it's most likely going to be all franchises that we actually care about in the West, because the ones that we don't care about are more likely to have no rights issues to clear up.

Ah crap, characters will be missing?

That's going to suck.

If they're cutting characters then it's most likely going to be all franchises that we actually care about in the West, because the ones that we don't care about are more likely to have no rights issues to clear up.

Which rights do they have to clear up, is the question. Manga, anime, or both? If it's manga, I expect most all of the series to be represented because Viz pretty much holds all of them. If it's anime, it gets a lot trickier, but Namco Bandai has at least cleared up rights for Naruto, DBZ, Hokuto no Ken, JoJo, and One Piece in the past, obviously.

I'm not sure how it works exactly, perhaps someone could enlighten me. At most, I would expect the series that never had a presence in the West at all to be cut, like Tottemo! Luckyman; it was never licensed for the West in any capacity.

Nesther

As long as Arale is in, I don't mind as much if some characters need to be cut. If Arale doesn't make it though...can't support it then.

Guymelef

Yeah I think ti safe to say all these are in the Plus version so far.

The weird thing is, every franchise is represented in that poster. Unless that poster was for the Japanese version, it'd be weird if they were promoting the game with every franchise, yet say someone has to be removed, & I'm pretty sure there isn't any franchise who only appears as a NPC in Story Mode.

No,

If anyone's wondering, they did not show the new JoJo game to the Western press.

They specifically mentioned to not look at that poster as indicative of anything. These characters may or may not be in.

Revven

All I care or need for me to buy this game are Kenshin and Yusuke, if both of those stay in then I'm satisfied.

I'm just wondering if they're cutting characters how they're going to handle the story mode, then? Doesn't the story mode involve all the characters?...

I want so badly for this to be good.

I LOVED Jump Ultimate and would have liked to see that series continue. I had more fun with JUS than I did with Smash Brawl. It was also one of the few games that I thought actually used the second screen in a substantial way.

18-Volt

Wow, Namco localizing this but not God Eater 2 RB or Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth? Maybe they still will, both games haven't been out in Japan yet anyway.

Will buy this the second it hits PSN. Might even double dip PS4/Vita.

Tizoc

Wow, Namco localizing this but not God Eater 2 RB or Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth? Maybe they still will, both games haven't been out in Japan yet anyway.

Anime sells man.

kewlmyc

They announced this at Jump Fiesta, a huge Shounen Jump fair. It makes since why their Shounen Jump games were announced here (Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Pirate Warriors 3, J-Stars). We'll probably get God Eater 2, but not have it announced until later.

They announced this at Jump Fiesta, a huge Shounen Jump fair. It makes since why their Shounen Jump games were announced here (Ultimate Ninja Storm 4, Pirate Warriors 3, J-Stars). We'll probably get God Eater 2, but not have it announced until later.

Don't get my hopes up man for GE2Burst perfect game for the vita.

Xseed goddamn it where's corpse party ?!

D-Man

Will buy for Jonathan and Joseph Joestar (and to support the western release of games like this). I wonder who will get cut/added though.

L Thammy

The Plus version is the English version. It'll have some extra stuff but it'll be mostly the same game but retuned.

Is there any evidence of that? It's possible, but so far this is looking very similar to the Tatsunoko Vs Capcom case. Altered title between the original and localized release (Cross Generation of Heroes -> Ultimate All Stars), licensing hell requires characters be dropped (Hakushon Daimao), substantial gameplay tweaks (see here), no plans for a Japanese release at first.

Of course, what Capcom does doesn't dictate what Bandai Namco does, so there's no reason to assume one way or another. But consider that all but one of the new characters added to TvC:UAS did not add additional licensing issues. Frank West and Zero are owned by Capcom. Joe the Condor and Yatterman-2 are from series that were already in CGoH.

Allen walker please stay....I dont care if your only support!

Also bring back the Jump Super Star queen! Nico Robin!! JSS and UJSS were my first imports ever and I lived them. I was the popular kid highschool in my game group by bringing it for multiplayer lol.

TDLink

As long as Arale is in, I don't mind as much if some characters need to be cut. If Arale doesn't make it though...can't support it then.

She will definitely be in. She was in Dragon Ball and has been in DBZ games released in the West. Shouldn't be any issues.

PS4 version is tempting for the YYH characters, but videos look like the combat is really shallow. (Will probably get it anyways....)

Xenocthul

This is great news but the character cuts make it less great. As long as the Medaka Box, JoJo,Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin characters are still in I'll buy this day one.

antibolo

Banned
Characters from franchises that already have other localized games by Bandai Namco are probably safe. That includes at least One Piece, JoJo, Dragon Ball, and Naruto, and probably others I don't know about.

Ballin'
The most popular ones should be in, thankfully. Still, this is as shocking as Project X Zone.

Project X Zone was not really "shocking", it was only three worldwide-spanning video game companies and therefore not really hard to license internationally since ownership is always the same in every region.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Based on the localized anime games i know i would say that:

Saint Seya
Dragonball
Fist of the north star
Yu Yu Hakusho
Jo Jo
Naruto
One Piece

characters are safe while all the rest(especially Bleach) are not.

It's coming to EU too.
Good! Thanks :)
Seeing as some people aren't familiar with the roster, here's a list of every franchise & who's playable & who's support. Franchises are in alphabetical order.

I needed it!

FSLink

Banned
The JPN release was some nice fanservice, but my enjoyment of it was hampered by the crappy framerate and crappy split screen multiplayer. This is without getting into the game mechanics which is sadly really shallow compared to the Gundam VS games (I wasn't expecting it to be near as in-depth but was also not expecting how shallow it ended up being).

I wouldn't lose any sleep over any cut characters if the plus version irons out some of the technical and mechanic problems.

Reknoc

Based on the localized anime games i know i would say that:

Saint Seya
Dragonball
Fist of the north star
Yu Yu Hakusho
Jo Jo
Naruto
One Piece

characters are safe while all the rest(especially Bleach) are not.

Weird to single out Bleach, pretty sure that's fine.

Top Bottom