• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Kickstarter project [Ended, $435K funded]

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Heh, cat moustache joke.

Bumped up to 50 bucks. What the hell. Now we just need to hope that they make the 300k level or all of this is for naught.

I do wonder how this would have done had they been able to secure the Gabriel Knight license before beginning.
I don't think GK or Jensen is as well known as Al Lowe and Larry, unfortunately.

To most people, Sierra is just KQ, SQ, LSL and maybe PQ/QFG.

it will probably be something else that the publisher agreed to. Since it is publisher driven. Hopefully future games dont have to be publisher driven. They just added the second game as incentive for the kickstarter because they had all these tiers designed for multi game years.

It's not. When the vote happened they indicated that the second game *could* come from the poll but implied that that wasn't set in stone. Possibly because they had some other game in mind...

Ah, poop. Well more Jane is good either way.

I wish my mom hadn't tossed all of my old big boxes

I recycled all of mine and don't regret it, honestly. I still have some discs but am just waiting until GOG gets the games before getting rid of those, too. I ended up choosing to get a physical box for the Double Fine game mostly because it seemed like a special occasion type thing. It's the only one I'm doing that with.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't think GK or Jensen is as well known as Al Lowe and Larry, unfortunately.

To most people, Sierra is just KQ, SQ, LSL and maybe PQ/QFG.

GK is well known. If this was a remake of GK1 or was GK4, it'd have no problem hitting 500k.

This is struggling because it's not a sequel or remake of a known IP.

I think it will hit 300k, but it's going to be close for sure at this rate unless there is a big spike at the last minute.

~Kinggi~

Banned
GK is well known. If this was a remake of GK1 or was GK4, it'd have no problem hitting 500k.

I think it will hit 300k, but it's going to be close for sure at this rate unless there is a big spike at the last minute.

It just got a pretty big spike from the new update but it is slowing back down to a crawl.

:( I hope they get 300 k and at least 20k over.

Famassu

Kickstarters ALWAYS get a smaller or bigger surge of pledgers closer to the end, especially ones that have garnered even this amount of support. People just don't pledge money too soon perhaps because they aren't sure if they can afford it 40 days before the thing ends or they want to see everything the project & pledge tiers have to offer (since there are almost always new tiers & stuff added to old ones) or they are just generally on the fence on the whole thing and when the end gets near they get excited too and decide to jump in. Or a plethora of other reasons might make them get in.

MrBud360

Jane Jensen Adventures:

1991 - EcoQuest: The Search for Cetus
ecoquest.png

1991 - Police Quest III: The Kindred
policequest3.jpg

1992 - King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
60389.jpg

1993 - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
8.png

1995 - Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
Gabriel-Knight-Mystery-The-Beast-Within-Huone.jpg

1999 - Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
gk306.jpg

2010 - Gray Matter
er_photo_142867_52.jpg

2013 - Moebius
moebius_large_21767.nphd.jpg

2013 - Mystery Game X????

Berto

Didn't know she worked on PQ3, cool =) She really has a great résumé. So... what do you guys think is Mistery Project X? We all know it's not GK4, is Gray Matter 2? I kinda doubt it...

MrBud360

She said that we gonna be excited. I don't know, but Gabriel Knight still a possibility, maybe a remake? Well anything from Jane is gold

MrBud360

Another 10K Backer!!! 3K to go!!! Looks like CSG first season its about to start!!! With 2 adventure games by Jane. Xbox 720 can wait till 2014!!!

MBison

Yeah I coulda been the 4k backer. I have yet to pledge but plan on $250. Was kinda holding hope I'd be the one to push it over but getting sleepy :)

mclem

WE ARE GO FOR LAUNCH.

I guess that means we'll have updates on three consecutive days :)

(As an aside: While they've not all been huge exciting news, I *think* this project has had the most updates of all the Kickstarters I've seen.)

BluWacky

Hurray! I am very, very excited about this - fingers crossed Moebius and Mysterious Game turn out well. Plus Lola and Lucy might be a fun ten minutes or so :)

This is the first "game" I've funded through Kickstarter (I've done albums and web TV shows before) and I think Jane and co have done a really nice job keeping the Kickstarter updated and being clear about what you'll get for your money (as well as adding rewards along the way).

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Hooray! I'm so happy this is getting enough. It seemed pretty close for awhile, but we made it. :3

MrBud360

The first season of CGS Community starts now!!!! Will be the first of many!!! You deserved Jane, we are just giving back the unforgettable moments you gave us. Wow what a Jorney!!! As a good Knight, i hail to the queen!!! Queen Jane!!!

50$ for two new Janes Adventure games??? You could ask for 600k. This will be the best kickstarter games. Bet on me.

ilikeme

Really glad this has been funded!

I haven't pledged (at least not yet), only thing I have Kickstarted so far is Wasteland 2. I'll give at least a small donation before time is up though.

Jane has made some really cool stuff, even though they are not 100% to my taste.

Famassu

I wonder what they'd do if they somehow reached 600k now, since they are already going to do two games. Make a third one (Gray Matter 2)? Would they have teams available to actually do it?

I wonder what they'd do if they somehow reached 600k now, since they are already going to do two games. Make a third one (Gray Matter 2)? Would they have teams available to actually do it?

From the FAQ:

Can you really make a great adventure game for $300K?

A 3rd person adventure game like the one we're planning would normally cost at least twice that. But we are putting in some funding as well, and the team is taking less up front in exchange for rev share. So this project already has committed believers behind it. The last piece we need is you!

So, every dollar over 300K makes JJ able to pay the external team without having to resort to her own money.

Famassu

From the FAQ:

So, every dollar over 300K makes JJ able to pay the external team without having to resort to her own money.
That was originally for when they exceeded 300k but fell short of 600k, which was supposed the line for two games to be made. Now that they are making two games no matter what, would all the money really just go to improve Moebius?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There must be some deal with the publisher that lets them give away the second game to kickstarter supporters for "free" then?

It's weird, because with 16 bucks, you get to choose between one or the other... but presumably all this money so far is going straight to Moebius.

There must be some deal with the publisher that lets them give away the second game to kickstarter supporters for "free" then?

It's weird, because with 16 bucks, you get to choose between one or the other... but presumably all this money so far is going straight to Moebius.

It's not like there's tens of thousands of backers like Double Fine had, so the amount of sales they'd be eating is pretty low. At the moment likely less than 4,000 sales, assuming a lot of the $16 backers choose Moebius.

But yeah, I'd be interested in hearing more about how the finances for all this work. (Not in a "it sounds shady" way, but in a "it sounds bizarre and interesting" way.)

Considering that the funds for backers likely spill in and benefits the second game, this is kinda a two way thing. The backers benefits from the publisher, but the publisher undoubtedly also benefits from the backers.

I'm guessing the publisher likely got the deal on Moebius as well. So they are basically getting two games for their $300.000 (or however much they pay, probably a bit more actually). That's a pretty good deal for them as well, and not surprising at all that in return they will allow 4-5000 free copies of the game to go out.

And especially if the deal is with one of the smaller Adventure gamer publishers, like one of the German ones who have a clear interest in the renewed interest in Adventure games all these kickstarters are prompting.

Yes! I hope they get at least another 100k.

I hope we get it just to give the studio a buffer. If it stays just around $300 000, that means that they at best get $200 000 after the fees to Kickstarter and Amazon, taxes and the rewards.

But one thing I like about this project is that they haven´t made all these grand promises about different rewards and upscaling of the game when they hit certain milestones. No " for an additional $50k we will make more rooms/scenes in the game" or "$100k extra and we will make consol versions". As much as more game and extra bonuses sounds nice, by staying away from grand (and/or vague) promises, they make this project seem much more realistic and convincing. That they have an actual plan and design for the game.

mclem

My gut's saying 'angel investor' rather than full publisher. That might change the whole complexion of the nature of the deal.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hrm. Angel Investor does sort of make more sense, since the only thing that publisher support gets you is probably to the front of the line on the Steam calendar (which is more than can be said for Grey Matter anyway :p).

In her video though, she suggested that any money above 300k goes to improving Moebius, so it looks like all the money that they'll get in this game goes directly to the first game initially promised on the Kickstarter page (Moebius).

I'd be curious though - on the off chance they make 600k, would they have had three games ready to go? Or would that money have gone to the Mystery Game?

I suppose all these questions will be answered later on in the "members only" updates. I'm not questioning the deals behind this either, I'm just sort of interested in hearing how all the financials work out for something like this.

(Also, I realized that it was smart of them to make most of the rewards digital in some way. That way, the money actually goes toward the game and not to making doodads for the cheapo Kickstarter supporters like me).

mclem

Yet another update; the 'first Moebius scene' from a 'very special artist' mentioned earlier:

The artist in question is Andy Hoyos; worked on a lot of Roberta Williams stuff including KQ5, KQ7 and Phantasmagoria - along with LSL5 and QFG5.

The update also has a bunch of samples of his art from those projects.

Top Bottom