• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Kickstarter project [Ended, $435K funded]

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Last night Jane updated the page with clarification on the tiers (including some new stuff for the $50 pledge level, including the hard to find GK novels as ebooks!) People who are on the fence about pledging but haven't looked at it lately should take another look. (Read the text on the page first, since the tier levels on the right can't be edited.)

I'm happy getting some e-books. :3 I hope I can get them nicely formatted for Kindle!

fov

LastWindow said:
Are you the same fov from Adventure Gamers?

I am! And also used to work at Telltale, but no longer do. I'm trying to figure out how to get my user title fixed...

I am! And also used to work at Telltale, but no longer do. I'm trying to figure out how to get my user title fixed...

I thought that might be you. I've been lurking over there for so long that I should get around to making an account at some point. PM a mod about the title.

Isn't there a way to change a tier's content? I saw other projects doing it, but JJ is adding strange new tiers instead of updating the existing ones.

So how about changing the subject name of the thread to focus on Moebius?

Is there a mod in particular we should ask for a title change, or anyone will do?

She says she can't change the tiers after someone has already pledged.

That's what is written in the FAQs on KS. But I'm pretty sure that Fargo changed some tiers for Wasteland 2 (like the infamous $2500, which had 3 backers at the time of the update) and I think Shadowrun did it too. She should probably ask the KS staff directly.

That's what is written in the FAQs on KS. But I'm pretty sure that Fargo changed some tiers for Wasteland 2 (like the infamous $2500, which had 3 backers at the time of the update).

He did, and I think Serellan more or less completely rewrote their project page, including the pledge tiers.

I decided to up my pledge by a significant amount. I started feeling bad when I thought about how I was donating a lot to Leisure Suit Larry and I like all of the Jane's games much, much more. Plus the big box for Moebius will look good next to the boxes of DFA, Larry, and (hopefully) Tex Murphy. :-D

El-Suave

They've cracked $200000 - I really hope that they somehow manage to get a second game made. The whole concept of "CSG season" approach doesn't make too much sense otherwise.

mclem

New reward tier:

PLEDGE $500 OR MORE
9 BACKERS • Limited Reward (111 of 120 remaining)
All tier goodies before this one (with a "Big Box" version of the game). PLUS, one original, one of a kind, GK1 pencil sketch signed by Jane, Robert and John Shroades. See update #9 for details.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ens-pinkerton-road-2012-2013-csg/posts/211925

The phrasing of the reward sounds like it's a *new* GK1 pencil sketch; it's not, it's some of their archive art from putting together the original game. Not copies, either, the original artworks. I think it's more than I can afford, but it's extremely tempting.

(Random aside: Supposedly the tiers above should get the sketches, too. They need to be very careful not to assign more sketches than they have available - could be a bit unpleasant if someone clocks over the limit when they're asleep and unable to close bids, or something)

The phrasing of the reward sounds like it's a *new* GK1 pencil sketch; it's not, it's some of their archive art from putting together the original game. Not copies, either, the original artworks. I think it's more than I can afford, but it's extremely tempting.

(Random aside: Supposedly the tiers above should get the sketches, too. They need to be very careful not to assign more sketches than they have available - could be a bit unpleasant if someone clocks over the limit when they're asleep and unable to close bids, or something)

Correct, they aren't new. they are the decades old original sketches that someone saved from the dumpster when Sierra's offices were being cleared out.

Here's the story of these gems -- Salzberg bought them from someone who had rescued them from a DUMPSTER as the old Sierra building in Oakhurst was being cleared out. That's right, a dumpster. Talk about pearls among swine! Anyway, he generously offered me the use of these lovelies for my campaign. What a guy.

Literally $500 pieces of aged garbage!

Vlodril

I just started Gray Matter for the first time and this one really stuck with me. It's pretty much a classic.

Good game and great music. It's one of the reasons i have donated in this. i hope it reaches its goals.

szaromir

Banned
Nice that it has picked up some pace, but I still don't understand why Jane Jensen isn't omnipresent like Brian Fargo was during his kickstarter campaign - I'm sure giving daily interviews, frequent updates (and informing about them major sites for PC enthusiasts) would help a lot. I'd love if they reached $600k, another game would be great.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Nice that it has picked up some pace, but I still don't understand why Jane Jensen isn't omnipresent like Brian Fargo was during his kickstarter campaign - I'm sure giving daily interviews, frequent updates (and informing about them major sites for PC enthusiasts) would help a lot. I'd love if they reached $600k, another game would be great.

Its hard to understand why this hasnt had a lot of steam, considering adventure games has a fairly large niche market following and everyone seems to enjoy her games, but i think it comes down to not having strong central game presence at the start. Instead they went with this somewhat confusing studio backing method.

If they had just come out and said here is the new game, gave some music, concept art, and a fairly decent video it would probably be at 600+ by now.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The other kickstarters are tied to an IP people care about... If this was "Gabriel Knight 4", it would be much easier to sell.

I guess we'll see how well the "Two Guys" kickstarter does without having the Space Quest IP to fall back on.

Its hard to understand why this hasnt had a lot of steam, considering adventure games has a fairly large niche market following and everyone seems to enjoy her games, but i think it comes down to not having strong central game presence at the start. Instead they went with this somewhat confusing studio backing method.

If they had just come out and said here is the new game, gave some music, concept art, and a fairly decent video it would probably be at 600+ by now.

I agree, I've been surprised this hasn't been more popular. I never would have thought Leisure Suit Larry would do better than a Jensen adventure. She's up there with Tim for me but apparently I'm in the minority. :-(

Jane Jensen posted an update about the kickstarter campaign on their own forum.

Jane Jensen said:
Hi, All —

Yes, it would be nice to redo the KS video with footage from Moebius but that material does not exist yet. We just green lit the concept and it takes time. Also, we are hoping to be able to make another announcement before the campaign ends and THAT will warrant a new video for sure. Since I don’t want to redo it twice, we’re waiting to see if that will happen. As it stands now, we have the newer videos available just under the ‘official’ one. We’ll see! Could be exciting!

About the campaign — It would be great to have more #s of backers, but we have had lots and lots of PR — and will continue to have new articles coming out. It is not that people don’t know about the campaign. If we have fewer backers than, say, Wasteland or LSL, I think part of that is because we are not offering a sequel to a known game (like GK) but a totally new IP. Some people will have faith in any “Jane Jensen” game, but for many, they will wait for reviews and a demo. Or they just want GK and nothing else. That’s their right.

Honestly, given the fact that it’s a totally new game, I think we are doing very well. It looks like we will reach $300K, we have really gotten word of the studio out there in a big way, and we have established our core CSG members. I will take that! This is just the start for us, step #1. It is not the full measure of our studio or even of our first year.

After the ks is over, people will be able to sign up for the CSG on our site (though they won’t get all the tier goodies). So we will continue to grow this over time.

I realize that there are things we could have done better, and things we can continue improve on in the remaining days. But, to sum up — suggestions are good, ideas to get new backers to the page are good, but please don’t fret! All is well.

Jane

http://pinkertonroad.com/topic/message-from-jane-on-kickstarter-campaign/

El-Suave

I don't think it's "new game shyness" that's holding this one back. On the contrary, I actually think LSL would do MUCH better if it was about a new Larry game from Al Lowe instead if a remake of LSL. The problem is the relatively unclear initial pitch of the CSG concept as far as the game(s) is concerned.

I don't think it's "new game shyness" that's holding this one back. On the contrary, I actually think LSL would do MUCH better if it was about a new Larry game from Al Lowe instead if a remake of LSL. The problem is the relatively unclear initial pitch of the CSG concept as far as the game(s) is concerned.

This is where I am, a big fan of how story and dialog focused Jane's games
are, I like GK1 but am fine never having more, but I just don't get this concept.

Before the KS ends I'll re-read the pitch but it's all vague, where as DFA, WL2, SRR, BS and others are about 'let this already existing developer make a game risk free'.

I don't think it's "new game shyness" that's holding this one back. On the contrary, I actually think LSL would do MUCH better if it was about a new Larry game from Al Lowe instead if a remake of LSL.

That would still be a Larry game, something familiar. Moebius is something completely new. But yeah, if they had done a kickstarter for "Jane Jensen´s Moebius", they would surely have had more success.

But still, to reach their goal with this, with a plan for the studios that might immediately catch peoples attention, but still is a very good plan in the long run, is a great success.

This is where I am, a big fan of how story and dialog focused Jane's games
are, I like GK1 but am fine never having more, but I just don't get this concept.

Before the KS ends I'll re-read the pitch but it's all vague, where as DFA, WL2, SRR, BS and others are about 'let this already existing developer make a game risk free'.

The plan for the season is not quite clear, agree, but the basic part to understand is that you get Moebius for $16. That should be enough for any point&click fan.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Or we can look at The Banner Saga?
I'm directly comparing adventure game makers though. There's a much bigger audience for RPGs and SRPGs than there are for story-based adventure games.

I think the Double Fine Kickstarter got the initial push because it was the first big one and got covered around the web. Now, it's only super fans who care about these things.

For example, Jane Jensen's name was attached to another adventure game and that game only "made" 30k or so.

I suppose another thing to watch out for is how well the Tex Murphy one does, since that's an older franchise with a lot of nostalgia, but also (arguably) less well known than the LucasArts or Sierra titles/people.

I mean, if the Leisure Suit Larry game was just "New Al Lowe game", would people care as much? I don't know.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I mean, if the Leisure Suit Larry game was just "New Al Lowe game", would people care as much? I don't know.

Well I certainly would have funded that. I'm not a fan of LSL, but I loved Torin's Passage. (Though he'd probably do another game like LSL since the majority of his fans like him for that.)

edit: But then I don't think there are that many people who know the old adventure greats by name, so who knows?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Yikes at that shirt design.

Well I was only at the $50 tier anyway so I wouldn't be getting one, but I would have thought they'd do shirts that were more related to the games they are creating. Well I hope whoever wanted the shirt will like the design better than I do.

Yikes at that shirt design.

Well I was only at the $50 tier anyway so I wouldn't be getting one, but I would have thought they'd do shirts that were more related to the games they are creating. Well I hope whoever wanted the shirt will like the design better than I do.

I don't get the support shirts thing at all, by the time people get them it will all be over,
Just the Pinkerton Road Brand logo by itself would make a shirt I would wear in public, the ''Community supported Gaming'' part ruins it.

I don't get the support shirts thing at all, by the time people get them it will all be over,
Just the Pinkerton Road Brand logo by itself would make a shirt I would wear in public, the ''Community supported Gaming'' part ruins it.

Yeah, I could do without the part on the back that says it but I don't mind the picture itself.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
They should make a bunch of designs and let the users that are getting it which one should be the final one.

Somethings going on:

Jane Jensen ‏ @jensen_jane Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
It's a big day for Pinkerton Road....

Best news ever!

voodooray

Somethings going on:

It's a big day for Pinkerton Road....

Best news ever!

The comments on KS talk about contacting past Sierra folk. Dare I dream the impossible?

Instro

Is this the thread where I can beg the creators of Quest for Glory to try a Kickstarter?

They would never get the license from...Activision I think? I would kickstart a game from them even if it wasn't QfG. Perhaps they could make a spiritual successor in the same style as QfG just without the name obviously.

epmode

They would never get the license from...Activision I think?
Activision can't care all that much seeing as how they still haven't bothered to release a compilation on GOG/Steam.
Perhaps they could make a spiritual successor in the same style as QfG just without the name obviously.
I can't help but think how awesome it would be to continue the character importing but I'd be happy with that too!

El-Suave

Jane in the backer comments:

I see you took my tweet to heart! Sorry I do not mean to be mega mysterious. Yes, good things are happening. I won't be able to talk about it until I am given the go ahead to do so -- could be awhile yet.

Not GK4, guys, not this year. Nevertheless, I think you will all be pleased. I'll tell you more as soon as I am able.

...not this year sounds promising though as far as the GK license is concerned.

mclem

It could be something like "Someone's willing to stump up the difference required to make a second game", and they don't want to announce it now in case that stops people donating after 300k.

Although that's not crazy and out-there enough, so instead I'll imagine that they've coaxed Roberta Williams out of retirement.

Top Bottom