• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

you looking kinda unfamiliar

tumblr_mdpov0eprr1qfe672o1_400.gif

USADA is on their way to your current location.

I would be ubereem levels if USADA had to stop by

They're more alike than either of them will admit.

Bret Hart even in beating Steve Austin put him over at Wrestlemania....

HHH did things like kicking out of all of Booker T's finishers and then pinning him after a single pedigree and after 30 seconds of being too wounded to make the cover...

Speaking of Bret and HHH

Bret summed him up perfectly.

“He was a very good, medium, mediocre wrestler. He never blew me away with anything that he’s ever done. He’s never come up with much. He’s always been a very decent wrestler that could give you a good match. As far as being like mind blowing…”

UberTag

Feel like Bret is talking to a mirror or something. Bret probably had the same amount of top drawer matches as HHH did.
Considering that Bret had a 15-year career in the big leagues (1985-Early 2000) and Triple H has had a 23-year career in the big leagues (1994-Now) and had booking authority to pick his opponents for roughly half of that tenure I'm not entirely certain that's saying much for Hunter.

Feel like Bret is talking to a mirror or something. Bret probably had the same amount of top drawer matches as HHH did.

Bret got stuck in blackhole WCW while Hunter was given the reigns of the fresh off Rock/Austin Attitude era...

And that quote was about wrestling talent not drawing power.

Hart/Austin is frequently up for greatest match of all time, HHH doesn't even have one in contention for top 20 (other than maybe the WM XX match which you know also had HBK and Benoit in it)

Considering that Bret had a 15-year career in the big leagues (1985-Early 2000) and Triple H has had a 23-year career in the big leagues (1994-Now) and had booking authority to pick his opponents for roughly half of that tenure I'm not entirely certain that's saying much for Hunter.

If anything it's far more damning that when Bret said that quote is really irrelevant. It fits for any era of HHH, even up to today

Hasney

Bret got stuck in blackhole WCW while Hunter was given the reigns of the fresh off Rock/Austin Attitude era...

And that quote was about wrestling talent not drawing power.

Hart/Austin is frequently up for greatest match of all time, HHH doesn't even have one in contention for top 20.

Top drawer as in excellent to watch match, not top drawing I meant!

Sure, Austin/Bret had great chemistry as did Bret and Owen and when working with the GOAT in HBK, but after that, not much stands out. Lots of good matches and probably had a higher bar of higher quality due to the lack of stinkers, but if I shove on the Network to watch a particular match, I'd probably pick a HHH one rather than a Bret one.

To be fair, if we were talking drawing power, I'd probably have said Bret anyway due to the nuclear heat with the Hart foundation.

Top drawer as in excellent to watch match, not top drawing I meant!

Sure, Austin/Bret had great chemistry as did Bret and Owen and when working with the GOAT in HBK, but after that, not much stands out. Lots of good matches and probably had a higher bar of higher quality due to the lack of stinkers, but if I shove on the Network to watch a particular match, I'd probably pick a HHH one rather than a Bret one.

To be fair, if we were talking drawing power, I'd probably have said Bret anyway due to the nuclear heat with the Hart foundation.

Hart/Benoit Tribute to Owen Match and Mayhem match
Every other Hart/Austin match
Hart carrying Kevin Nash to probably his only great match of his career.
Hart Foundation vs the British Bulldogs (pick one)
Hart vs Perfect (Pick one)
Hart vs Bulldog at Wimbley
Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid 20 minutes on Raw
Hart vs Piper Mania 8

Bret put himself in that blackhole because he was such a huge mark for himself.

Vince gave Bret a contract and then couldn't honour it.

Why did WWE give Chris hero, La somba, KENTA etc such bad names?
There's always a chance they picked the names themselves since I'm pretty sure most people in NXT are allowed to chose their ring names instead of being given one (although I am curious why people like Hideo and Asuka were introduced with their old names but then given new ones). Hero might be an exception since he was an FCW guy so he might have just been saddled with the name Kassius Ohno.

Hasney

Hart carrying Kevin Nash to probably his only great match of his career.

ylhURyy.jpg

Chasing ratings as though they were the most important thing above all else.

I do surely hope no company makes that mistake nowadays...

To be fair to WCW, it made sense. Revenue from PPVs was not allocated to WCW, it was allocated to Turned Home Video or some shit. So a PPV could be wildly successful and it wouldn't add to the profit.

Bret refused to job in his home country because of his huge ego. Even Undertaker had enough of his shit.

Bret refused because he hated Shawn Micheals (who refused to job to Bret) and because Vince gave Hart creative control in his contract....

This all comes back to Vince... Bret had a chance to get better money back in 96 but stayed and then Vince was like can't pay you so Bret took less in 97 to go to WCW.

Don't offer contracts you can't afford.

Hasney

Bret refused because he hated Shawn Micheals (who refused to job to Bret) and because Vince gave Hart creative control in his contract....

This all comes back to Vince... Bret had a chance to get better money back in 96 but stayed and then Vince was like can't pay you so Bret took less in 97 to go to WCW.

Don't offer contracts you can't afford.

Dunno, feel like Vince came out the winner in that exchange.

The correct retort would have been.

Dunno, feel like Vince came out the winner in that exchange.

That's fine... you still can't blame Bret for it though...

Bret is legit a class act. He was at the Memorial Cup in Ottawa in 1999 and came down from his press box to not only sign autographs for the few kids who knew he was up there but gave me personally like 10 minutes of his time just to talk about wrestling and stuff, he didn't have to do that but I'll never forget it.

Beefy

Never got Triple H using a sledgehammer. When he puts his own hand over the hammer part. It doesn't make sense.

didnt realize bret hart is only 4 years younger than hogan, always thought he was around the same age as shawn. no wonder vince wanted to get out of the long term contract with him.

didnt realize bret hart is only 4 years younger than hogan, always thought he was around the same age as shawn. no wonder vince wanted to get out of the long term contract with him.

His contract was also for post wrestling, a behind the scenes agent job and stuff like that.

shaowebb

I can't really say I ever expected to see Mortiis references in this thread.

To be fair Mortis was fun in the ring in spite of his gimmick being way too loud. Kanyon could just flat out wrestle and in the gimmick he was supposed to act aggressive for stuff like hope spots that he'd snuff out. He used to catch guys going for dives into Northern Lights Suplexes and roll out out of the corner and the second folks would run into the post he'd snap around with a roundhouse kick. I got some shit gifs of him kind of hitting these spots on Glacier and Booker T, but I could've sworn I seen some of the lucha-jobbers take some really hard ones of these spots and they just looked great.

Dj8qrhW.gif
PfVBldk.gif

When he'd dodge the turnbuckle the kick would go to the back of their head and not the front but it was essentially one of those. Kind of weird how his spots started becoming everyone else's stuff. I'd seen him do Diamond Cutters, Electric Chair Drops, lots of spinning moves (F5s, spins into sitout face plants...crazy shit),Fame-assers, DVDs and Attitude Adjustments...fuck I think I've even seen him hit the Awful Waffle before.

Guy just was a flatout craftsman in the ring. I've always been sad he never got pushed and that he eventually committed suicide struggling with his homosexuality.

No way WWE makes it successfully in Japan, especially against New Japan, WWE would be a lot better off with a partnership because they ain't going to muscle out a Japanese company in Japan.

Triple H's sledge hammer is one of the dumbest gimmick weapons to ever grace WWE, you can't use it properly because it'd kill someone and every time he hit some one it was either a hand covered gut shot or some blatantly bullshit blow to the head. It's just try hard Triple H trying to look bad ass. It's even dumber than the other weapon gimmicks, even those ones that were made of rubber, styrofoam or some other material other than what they'd actually be made from.

Fuck ya'll Mortis was awesome.

The mic cut out during the intro so I couldn't catch what it was changed to, but Tommy End had been renamed.

Edit: It's Alistor Black.

Better name than Tommy End.

It'd just be 50 pictures of Layla
tumblr_nsfkcuKzRo1tszqifo1_250.gif

I would be okay with this. I was on the Layla train from day one of the stupid Divas Search.

To be fair Mortis was fun in the ring in spite of his gimmick being way too loud. Kanyon could just flat out wrestle and in the gimmick he was supposed to act aggressive for stuff like hope spots that he'd snuff out. He used to catch guys going for dives into Northern Lights Suplexes and roll out out of the corner and the second folks would run into the post he'd snap around with a roundhouse kick. I got some shit gifs of him kind of hitting these spots on Glacier and Booker T, but I could've sworn I seen some of the lucha-jobbers take some really hard ones of these spots and they just looked great.

Dj8qrhW.gif
PfVBldk.gif

When he'd dodge the turnbuckle the kick would go to the back of their head and not the front but it was essentially one of those. Kind of weird how his spots started becoming everyone else's stuff. I'd seen him do Diamond Cutters, Electric Chair Drops, lots of spinning moves (F5s, spins into sitout face plants...crazy shit),Fame-assers, DVDs and Attitude Adjustments...fuck I think I've even seen him hit the Awful Waffle before.

Guy just was a flatout craftsman in the ring. I've always been sad he never got pushed and that he eventually committed suicide struggling with his homosexuality.

I agree with you, but we are talking about a different Mortis/Mortiis. I was referring to Menome's post.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Dj8qrhW.gif
PfVBldk.gif

Those are awesome GIFs (holy shit that counter into Northern Lights), but they're talking about Mortiis (note the two i's).

Top Bottom