• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Heel

Gonna be keeping an eye on your "RIP Vince", "RIP Hulk", "RIP Stone Cold", "RIP Just About Any Wrestler That's Ever Lived" from here on out, friends. What a slippery slope.

Ithil

Let's all take a coffee break

C2PBugZVQAAhfoy.jpg

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Guys dont sleep on day 2 of the UK tourny, its fantastic so far.

The Young Bucks got two major things Jack Evans lacks.
  • They can tell a story WITH their opponents. All their stuff involves a partner and they know how to build moments seamlessly.
  • Personality. They have bags of it. They can work a crowd with just walking and talking. Jack does flips because he HAS to...he hasn't got any other means of getting folks to react to him.

So yeah, The Young Bucks do spotfests all the time but when they do them they actually work their way INTO the match. When Jack Evans does spotfests he stops the match so everyone can watch him say "hey lookit what I can do" and its really bad considering most moments leave his opponent standing having to wait without even the common courtesy of him feeding them a good looking strike so they can even pretend they were just dazed the whole time.

Bucks are fine. They know what they're doin out there. They're stuff connects the match together even if its the same tricks.
Evans has flips that are beautiful but they all come across out of place and break the match into a disjointed mess.

Yeah this is what I was trying to get at but you did it better.

Hasney

The Young Bucks got two major things Jack Evans lacks.
  • They can tell a story WITH their opponents. All their stuff involves a partner and they know how to build moments seamlessly.
  • Personality. They have bags of it. They can work a crowd with just walking and talking. Jack does flips because he HAS to...he hasn't got any other means of getting folks to react to him.

So yeah, The Young Bucks do spotfests all the time but when they do them they actually work their way INTO the match. When Jack Evans does spotfests he stops the match so everyone can watch him say "hey lookit what I can do" and its really bad considering most moments leave his opponent standing having to wait without even the common courtesy of him feeding them a good looking strike so they can even pretend they were just dazed the whole time.

Bucks are fine. They know what they're doin out there. They're stuff connects the match together even if its the same tricks.
Evans has flips that are beautiful but they all come across out of place and break the match into a disjointed mess.

Jack Evans has no personality? Fuck that. I like the Bucks, but he has so much more, especially as a member of the Worldwide Underground.

WWE Network question... just realized the Sting doc 'Into The Light' was available. My question is the runtime discrepancy. On the network it's 50 something mins. On IMDB and other sites it says 70 plus mins. I know the DVD and Blu Rays have more features and matches but is the actual doc cut short on the network? Anyone see both or know?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The only person in BOLA to get heat with the crowd despite being a long-awaited return has no personality and can't tell a story with their opponents?

Man I know Bucks matches rot the brain but holy shit.

WWE Network question... just realized the Sting doc 'Into The Light' was available. My question is the runtime discrepancy. On the network it's 50 something mins. On IMDB and other sites it says 70 plus mins. I know the DVD and Blu Rays have more features and matches but is the actual doc cut short on the network? Anyone see both or know?
They cut stuff out for... reasons

shaowebb

The only person in BOLA to get heat with the crowd despite being a long-awaited return has no personality and can't tell a story with their opponents?

Man I know Bucks matches rot the brain but holy shit.

Evans promos get heel heat by the numbers...ie he lays it by a very generic hit list of insult fans and then try to call his opponent a loser. Its like a 1980's promo that you could insert anyone into as the target. Its not really anything special and he can't sustain long term bookings that way as a character because the angle is flat and goes nowhere after a very short while. The only legit heat he got was by accident when he talked about AAA lucha libre poorly and said La Parka was a bad wrestler.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Evans promos get heel heat by numbers. Its like a 1980's promo that you could insert anyone into as the target. Its not really anything special. The only legit heat he got was by accident when he talked about AAA lucha libre poorly and said La Parka was a bad wrestler.

This feels like a non-criticism. What are you even saying? He got heat with the fans, he wasn't targeting the wrestlers. He was working the underdog role but was working as a heel and managed to turn the fans heel in a crowd that pops for any big moves.

Bucks don't even get heat in Japan anymore. Any heat they get is moment to moment cheap pop stuff like superkicking women because half the fanbase think they're one of 'the boys' with the young bucks and Japan completely doesn't care about them anymore unless a mega veteran face is trying to prop them up like Kojima

It's because they cut it "for TV". They want to regard the Network as an actual TV channel so they have programs starting on the hour, not weird times, so they cut it for a slot and adverts.

Stupid, I know.

Thanks for clearing it up. I might just order the blu ray and skip watching it on the network all together.

shaowebb

This feels like a non-criticism. What are you even saying? He got heat with the fans, he wasn't targeting the wrestlers. He was working the underdog role but was working as a heel and managed to turn the fans heel in a crowd that pops for any big moves.

It means that his promos are like his ring performance...gunshy. He's afraid to go all out at anything IMO. He wont commit to the impact of his strikes so they get flat, and he over preps his flips. Both his promos and his spots get a pop, but like his matches he gets old quickly because he never does anything that cuts deep. He throws moves and promos like he doesn't mean them. He needs to start talking shit in ways he can't take back or be forgiven for. He needs to start throwing strikes like he wants to leave a bruise on folks.

Like I said, props to him for his physicality. He's got a gift. He just cuts his own momentum apart and plays everything from his spots to his promos too safe. If he had the right manager to prep him the guy might make something special one day happen out there but its been 15 years and he is the same in the ring and on the mic from the promo he cuts to the stuff he does.15 years of impressive flips that land with no force and that come out too slow with no psychology to them to give them meaning. Angelico does Evans stuff better than Evans because he can pull of the story building, the actual impact on the moves, and in ring stories to make his high spots land when he finally does them.

There is a reason that after 15 years Jack Evans just sorta circles around without ever seeming to have gotten any more or less popular...because he plays it too safe and phones it in even in spite of his gifted physical abilities.

Hex

Banned

Bucks don't even get heat in Japan anymore. Any heat they get is moment to moment cheap pop stuff like superkicking women because half the fanbase think they're one of 'the boys' with the young bucks and Japan completely doesn't care about them anymore unless a mega veteran face is trying to prop them up like Kojima

I love Evans from his AAA stuff with Anjelico to his solo stuff.
Talented as fuck and fun, but I do not think he is as good a storyteller in the ring.
Love the hell out of the guy.

shaowebb

I love Evans from his AAA stuff with Anjelico to his solo stuff.
Talented as fuck and fun, but I do not think he is as good a storyteller in the ring.
Love the hell out of the guy.

Same. It hurts that after all this waiting he hasn't learned to tell a story. Its what has made him forgettable to main events all this time. Folks have been picked up left and right that he came up with because they learned to tell stories that folks wouldn't forget both on the mic and in the ring. Jack just never got that part. Its why you see flippies like Ospreay and Ricochet getting main event draw but not Jack Evans.

He needs a good partner. Angelico is a great fit.

So
Tyler Bate
won the United Kingdom Championship Tournament. I didn't see this coming until I realized he's now the
youngest superstar to ever hold a WWE Championship instead of Paige.
L. O. Fucking. L.

Night 2 was absolutely phenomenal. Just about every match was fantastic. I recommend watching it in its entirety.

So I pondered last night what an indy style WWE show would look like.

I got my answer it would look like day 2 of the UK tournament.

Day 1 due to time limits was way more WWE doing an indy impression. Day 2 was just a pure indy show on a bigger stage and it was fucking stellar

Best thing about day 2 is it elevated day 1 by making stuff that happened there mean something

So
Tyler Bate
won the United Kingdom Championship Tournament. I didn't see this coming until I realized he's now the
L. O. Fucking. L.

Night 2 was absolutely phenomenal. Just about every match was fantastic. I recommend watching it in its entirety.
And her record for being the longest reigning NXT Women's Champion will likely be beat by Asuka unless she does drop the belt rumble weekend.

So
Tyler Bate
L. O. Fucking. L.

Paige never was. Rene Dupree won the tag titles when he was 19.

Menome

5-Star final match from the UK Championship. No more needs to be said. Doesn't matter what Da Meltz gives it; that was five stars.

Top Bottom