• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

joker3782

Neo Member
Rumors are swirling that you don't love WCW? Care to comment on these heinous allegations?

OK some background on me. I was born in 1995 so when I properly got around to watching wrestling, WCW was dead (although I think I may have started around the time of the Invasion angle but I was pretty young and my memories of when I was a child aren't that good so I'm not sure). I have been somewhat catching up on WCW but this has been via OSW reviews of various WCW pay per views. So as of now my knowledge of WCW is the legendary David Arquette title run and the whole Dungeon of Doom shit.

What I'm saying is that my opinion of WCW is that its trash, it was always trash and should be remembered as such.

Now if anyone has any specific pay per views to suggest that would change my opinion, I'm happy to hear them. I've got a free subscription to the network until April (via that promotion they offered to me via email). Maybe someone could present to me a sum up of the quality of the WCW pay per views via some sort of spreadsheet containing grades that have been set by a respectable person over the internet.

WWE is wrasslin, the only other shows worth a shit are Wrestle Kingdom and BoLA

and WWE is absolute shit right now, like probably the worst it's ever been overall. Don't get me wrong the wrestling is good from time to time but the shows are just unwatchable and cringy and bad

Dude 1993-1995 with the exception of Bret Hart and HBK was horrendous. Current product doesn't even come close to that bad.

rrc1594

Well we no longer call someone a gimmick poster just because they have a different opinion. This instantly became my fav place to post after HaloGaf was killed R.I.P

Mahonay

Banned
what's interesting? Owens vs Reigns with the stupid Jericho cage gimmick? it's so bad... and that's the MAIN ANGLE
I can't wait for that dumb fucking match. Not watching RAW and then suddenly there's a shark cage match is entertaining in a way they certainly didn't intend.

Back when UFC was nothing compared to what it is now and they were just starting on spike going head to head with wwf, vince offered mike goldberg $100K (the announcer) to quit ufc and turn up on raw and be the raw announcer. Vince told him to make everyone think he was doing the ufc show and leave at the last possible minute.

klonere

Banned
Vince has some bizarre persecution complex. Listening to BTS reviewing this week in 1995, Vince gives a rare interview to press and goes off on a massive tirade about how WCW is aiming to put him out of business, how much a failure the organization is, some mad shade thrown at Hogan (well he may be smaller, balder and slower but if he came back here he could have a great match still!), the obsession with Turner, the idea that a massive media conglomerate wants to destroy his poor mom & pop wrestling company.

He hasn't fucking changed from that and probably needs something to channel that complex through, at the moment it seems to be NJPW.

Mahonay

Banned
Back when UFC was nothing compared to what it is now and they were just starting on spike going head to head with wwf, vince offered mike goldberg $100K (the announcer) to quit ufc and turn up on raw and be the raw announcer. Vince told him to make everyone think he was doing the ufc show and leave at the last possible minute.
Lol yes I remember this. Vince is insane.

Well we no longer call someone a gimmick poster just because they have a different opinion.
Oh god don't bring that heinous shit back up. The absolute worst.

rrc1594

LMAO what a jackass.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There is evidence to the contrary regarding this.

What evidence are you talking about? I don't even know which point you're addressing - that WWE cares or that NJPW presents a meaningful threat to WWE's business. It's well known that Vince doesn't like other companies getting any run, but I don't think he's necessarily willing to spend millions of dollars in pursuit of that.

Nakamura and Styles are both putting in work for the company. Think about what NXT would be like if they didn't have Shinsuke Nakamura right now. They didn't sign those guys just to be mean to New Japan Pro Wrestling.

klonere

Banned
OK some background on me. I was born in 1995 so when I properly got around to watching wrestling, WCW was dead (although I think I may have started around the time of the Invasion angle but I was pretty young and my memories of when I was a child aren't that good so I'm not sure). I have been somewhat catching up on WCW but this has been via OSW reviews of various WCW pay per views. So as of now my knowledge of WCW is the legendary David Arquette title run and the whole Dungeon of Doom shit.

What I'm saying is that my opinion of WCW is that its trash, it was always trash and should be remembered as such.

Now if anyone has any specific pay per views to suggest that would change my opinion, I'm happy to hear them. I've got a free subscription to the network until April (via that promotion they offered to me via email). Maybe someone could present to me a sum up of the quality of the WCW pay per views via some sort of spreadsheet containing grades that have been set by a respectable person over the internet.

Boys, we have an insider.

Name a dirtsheet son.

imBask

Banned
Dude 1993-1995 with the exception of Bret Hart and HBK was horrendous. Current product doesn't even come close to that bad.

I should've specified I was talking about my point a view, as I said I was 4 so it doesn't really matter to me

even when RAW was bad a couple of years ago, it was still... somewhat entertaining.Right now it's bad and boring, just boring boring boring

The show opens with a Reigns and Owens promo, part timers standoff at some point, a couple of tag matches in the middle, 2h of commercials, bleh

Mahonay

Banned
I should've specified I was talking about my point a view, as I said I was 4 so it doesn't really matter to me

even when RAW was bad a couple of years ago, it was still... somewhat entertaining.Right now it's bad and boring, just boring boring boring

The show opens with a Reigns and Owens promo, part timers standoff at some point, a couple of tag matches in the middle, 2h of commercials, bleh
RAW has been consistently unwatchable for like 2-3 years now.

Heroman

Banned
I mean, I guess its theoretically possible they're offering Kenny a million bucks just to spite a random other company that presents no meaningful threat to WWE, but I consider it a lot more likely they liked what they got with AJ Styles and think Kenny could do the same thing. Which is true. Kenny would get a huge pop, and would be instantly over the same way AJ Styles is over. I can't speculate how much AJ Styles is worth to WWE, but I'm relatively certain its one of the most successful signings they've done in years.

How many guys like Kenny Omega or AJ Styles actually exist? Meaning dudes who can sign and be main eventing shit in a month? There's really not many, so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they sincerely want to get the guy in.
WWE doesn't like anyone getting a name for themselves outside of the WWE bubble, why do you think they had the UK tournament or signing all the Indy stars?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How does this Rumble thing work? Like the betting here on GAF?

You get a number and if the guy who enters at your number wins, you win.

There's no prize at the moment, but I'm lobbying to have the winner get to pick the WrestleMania thread title.

WWE doesn't like anyone getting a name for themselves outside of the WWE bubble, why do you think they had the UK tournament or signing all the Indy stars?

Because signing random indie guys and not being required to actually put them in anything costs them very little but gives them additional exposure. They're not paying Pete Dunne all that much money to just be a hanger on.

Zach

EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH TIER

eNDm9Fo.png

PROBABLY WORTH A WATCH IF YOU'RE STILL INTO WRESTLING TIER

rp37xCH.png

YOU'RE PUSHING IT BUT THERE'S STILL SOME GOOD STUFF HERE TIER

FUFwRvg.png

THE WCW CHALLENGE SOMEONE SHOULD ALERT YOUR RELATIVES TIER

NbAwwhg.png

Enjoy.

Sephzilla

Never forget that Vince gave the green light to those Billionaire Ted skits, which are quite possibly the most petty juvenile things I've ever seen. Vince is also a giant hypocrite too. He whined and tried to make WWE look like a victim when WCW was using Turner's checkbook to sign stars away from WWE, even though WWE did the exact same thing to the territories.

I'm gonna rewatch WCW from Jan 99 through the end.

Well, you'll get god-tier Scott Steiner at least.

Never forget that Vince gave the green light to those Billionaire Ted skits, which are quite possibly the most petty juvenile things I've ever seen. Vince is also a giant hypocrite too. He whined and tried to make WWE look like a victim when WCW was using Turner's checkbook to sign stars away from WWE, even though WWE did the exact same thing to the territories.

Plus a lot of eric's biggest stars were guys like hogan and savage, who vince thought didn't have any money left in them and wasn't even interested in.

Angry Grimace

I mean, I've posted the pictures a lot, but they make a good point. The reason they're signing every flippy indie guy under the sun:

BjG6OM6.png
owxXfaT.png

Who do you think they're catering to at this point? The reason they sign every indie guy under the sun is because the entire roster of their developmental leagues and half of the main roster are indie guys now.

Zach

Well, yeah. People should know this by now. He's Trump, man. He's Trump.

You get a number and if the guy who enters at your number wins, you win.

There's no prize at the moment, but I'm lobbying to have the winner get to pick the WrestleMania thread title.

Because signing random indie guys and not being required to actually put them in anything costs them very little but gives them additional exposure. They're not paying Pete Dunne all that much money to just be a hanger on.

How do I enter?

Lothar

Banned

What's your opinion of ECW, new young poster who was 4 years old when I graduated high school?

Top Bottom