• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Zach

The Elimination Chamber is alright, but I prefer WarGames: The Match Beyond.

Also, I think I'll start calling my bathroom the Elimination Chamber.

Zach

giphy.gif

Zach

Haha, Bicycle Shorts H wins.

P.S. I didn't mind the spear-into-sledgehammer finish, though.

P.P.S. Although I generally find Triple H's use of the sledgehammer super lame and not believable.

P.P.P.S. Every time JR mentions the Elimination Chamber now... well... you know...

Raw64life

If that was really Tenzan's last hurrah I'm hoping they didn't deny him once last dome win just so they can make Elgin look strong. Elgin looked like Hornswoggle standing next to guys like Billy Gunn and Scott Norton.

So what wrestlers should I look out for when I watch WK11 later?

Everyone in the last 3 matches (maybe not Goto, but the other 5 people)

How did Cody do? You can spoil it if you want but I'm interested.

Not great, but better than I expected. He did ok playing a dickhead heel and if he turns that up a little more, he'll be fine. Indy Cody has been lame overall so far but if anybody can sprinkle magic dust on Cody and make him awesome its the NJPW roster.

Sephzilla

Haha, Bicycle Shorts H wins.

P.S. I didn't mind the spear-into-sledgehammer finish, though.

P.P.S. Although I generally find Triple H's use of the sledgehammer super lame and not believable.

P.P.P.S. Every time JR mentions the Elimination Chamber now... well... you know...

It's because kayfabe HHH doesn't know how to swing a sledgehammer

Zach

What do you want him to do, overhead swing onto their skulls, you psychoes?
Will you be serious?!

I don't know if I should keep responding to you guys and your joshery. But I will. It's a stupid weapon in wrestling because you can't use it properly. It's like your signature wrestling weapon is a gun but you only hit people with it. It's like, why the gun, guy?

Note: I was Pikma all along.

cordy

Banned
Its was fine but, at best, the 5th best match on the show. He did some nice work on Juice's leg and was able to get some response from the crowd. They were more into it than Cole and O'Reilly that's for sure.

That's good for him. I honestly thought it would be at the very bottom so I'm glad it's better than that.
Not great, but better than I expected. He did ok playing a dickhead heel and if he turns that up a little more, he'll be fine. Indy Cody has been lame overall so far but if anybody can sprinkle magic dust on Cody and make him awesome its the NJPW roster.

Yeah that's why I asked. Indy Cody hasn't really impressed me besides his entrances and attire. Even his taglines have been great but in the ring he hasn't really done it. He needed this. Luckily, he's only 31 so he's still young.

Raw64life

Cody's gotten a bad rap on here, but if guys like Shibata and Naito can't pull great matches out of him I'll gladly admit that he sucks.

Caderfix

Will you be serious?!

I don't know if I should keep responding to you guys and your joshery. But I will. It's a stupid weapon in wrestling because you can't use it properly. It's like your signature wrestling weapon is a gun but you only hit people with it. It's like, why the gun, guy?

I bet it's possible to find matches where someone uses a sledgehammer correctly, also I'll go ahead and guess that if that's the case New Jack is probably involved and the spot wasn't actually booked for the match.

Sephzilla

HHH's sledgehammer is a case of nothing being better than something. The sledgehammer makes HHH look a bit stupid because he never swings the sledgehammer correctly and thus it never seems like the weapon is hitting with much impact. Plus HHH using the sledgehammer was a bit of "me too" shit since he started using it after a bunch of other people started having signature weapons at the time.

HHH's sledgehammer is a case of nothing being better than something. The sledgehammer makes HHH look a bit stupid because he never swings the sledgehammer correctly and thus it never seems like the weapon is hitting with much impact. Plus HHH using the sledgehammer was a bit of "me too" shit since he started using it after a bunch of other people started having signature weapons at the time.

I just feel like it diminishes his character to a chicken shit heel when he tries to come across as THE GAME

His match with Robinson was good fun his heel work was on point and he focussed on the legs, Robinson sold for all his worth on that and it wrapped nicely when the leg work culminated in a failed powerbomb spot for Robinson when the leg gave out. Cody then promptly drilled him to get the win.

Also his facial expressions and heel psychology was right uon the money.

Sephzilla

I just feel like it diminishes his character to a chicken shit heel when he tries to come across as THE GAME

I think that's actually perfectly in character for HHH though. His character has always been a guy who talks himself up as a big ass kicker who's an unstoppable beast, but the reality is that he's a chickenshit heel who does whatever it takes to win. Basically all of the posturing his just HHH trying to convince himself he's a big tough guy when he's actually not.

The Max Landis "wrestling isn't wrestling" video actually did a fantastic job of breaking down how HHH's character is the ultimate B+ player.

cordy

Banned
His match with Robinson was good fun his heel work was on point and he focussed on the legs, Robinson sold for all his worth on that and it wrapped nicely when the leg work culminated in a failed powerbomb spot for Robinson when the leg gave out. Cody then promptly drilled him to get the win.

Also his facial expressions and heel psychology was right uon the money.

Is his finisher still the CrossRhodes? Sounds like a good match.

I think that's actually perfectly in character for HHH though. His character has always been a guy who talks himself up as a big ass kicker who's an unstoppable beast, but the reality is that he's a chickenshit heel who does whatever it takes to win. Basically all of the posturing his just HHH trying to convince himself he's a big tough guy when he's actually not.

The Max Landis "wrestling isn't wrestling" video actually did a fantastic job of breaking down how HHH's character is the ultimate B+ player.

Yeah this is true. 'The Game' just means he figures out a way to always win

Just watched this match and he did ok in the ring, but I felt like he is trying SO HARD to be an evil Gaijin. He had some swagger and confidence, but there's a certain kind of arrogance that is needed and it felt forced.

Zach

Triple H did use the sledgehammer properly that one time after Shawn Michaels' return match. So that's something, I guess.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
3-time ROH champion is like 'damaged goods' label on a wrestler

That boring out of shape slob is never getting a WWE deal.

Wow, leave it to the E to take all the shine off Goldberg in 5 min, what was that segment Monday, who approved it? It was horrible, and reminded me of some of the cringe Sting segments, who writes this, who approved it, That was horrible, It should have been Goldberg alone, no one else in the ring at the same time as him, except Brock, maybe Heyman. That was 0/10.

Juice and Cody had some great chemistry and had a great match. I honestly think every match on the card was great and everyone poured their heart into it.

UberTag

Heyman came across like a fuckhead in the 'should Raw be 2 hours' bit. Despite the third hour generally tanking and ratings going down the drain, everyone still shilled the three hour program and anyone who disagreed was a stupid mark who should try and run their own promotion.

Although, it was proabably a work to piss people off to get them to talk about it and keep watching/hate watching.

I dunno. After tonight I feel like it will be really hard to get into WWE programming for a while. Similar to after last years G1.

Between NJPW, Stardom, DDT Universe and Progress I really dont need WWE, but I am an idiot and probably wont cancel my sub.
You'll find an excuse to keep giving Vince your money to shit all over you.
Wrestling fans always do no matter how many 5-star main events they receive from New Japan, Progress or anywhere else.

That "it's too hard to sign up for" whining excuse from people never gets old, too.
American voters use that line all the time to justify being ignorant about their politicians.

Triple H did use the sledgehammer properly that one time after Shawn Michaels' return match. So that's something, I guess.

There's also his gimmicked hammer at Unforgiven 2006 that he gets to swing properly on Vince complete with ridiculous hammer head flying off nonsense.

Caderfix

I REALLY wanted Kenny to win. Okada is great, but Kenny is just too awesome to watch.

Anyways, both man looked great so even though I wanted a different result, I'm happy with the match.

Barrage

My mini-review of WK11. Spoilers Below.
-
--
-
-

NJ Rumble:
-Pretty solid, although Elgin kinda got exposed. I mean, his look is just so BAD (even by Hoss standards) and he got outcharisma'd by quite a few guys). ***

RPG Vice/Young Bucks:
-Just because you have a story, doesn't mean the match itself was good. It was flippy indie trash at it's lowest. Interchangable with any of their other shit. **

NEVER 6 Man:
-Pretty good, the right guys went over and looked strong. ***1/4

Cody VS Juice:
-Completely forgettable. Corbin/Kalisto blew this match out last month. Cody has proven in his indie journey that he might have actually been OVERpushed in the WWE as a singles wrestler. **

Tiger Mask W VS Tiger Mask Dark:
-I laugh when people say Ibushi would be wasted in WWE, then watch this shit. Yuck. 1/2*

O'Reilly VS Cole:
-So what was the point of O'Reilly winning then? Hate when outside politics take the teeth out of a storyline. **3/4

--NOTE: Holy fuck was this ever a lukewarm first half.

IWGP Tag Match:
-This was actually really surprisingly fun and good. Ishii just refuses to be involved in something that's bad, by sheer force of will. ***1/2

Takahashi/KUSHIDA:
-I actually REALLY like this as a complete change of pace and showcase. Hopefully this will be the rival KUSHIDA needs to take him to the next level. ****1/2

Shibata/Goto:
-Loved it. Having two guys that are overqualified for this spot in the card makes the whole roster feel stronger. Replenishes Goto's character without selling out Shibata. ****1/4

Naito/Tanahashi:
-Best match of the night. Crowd was molten, Perfect kind of characters to clash, and man Tana can still go.
****3/4

Okada/Kenny:
-Omega's entrance managed to hit the daily double of corny AND dated.
-Omega just showed another reason why he's a poor man's HHH, with this long-for-the-sake-of-long unearned epic whose entire first half was a slog. The beginning was filler, and the second half was hot. KUSHIDA and Takahashi did more in a third of the time.
-At least the right guy won. ***1/2

Overall: Worse than WK 10, which was (slightly) worse than WK9. The first half of these things are showing the exact same sluggishness people complain about with Wrestlemania. There's still room for best PPV of the year, i'll put it that way.

My mini-review of WK11. Spoilers Below.
-
--
-
-

NJ Rumble:
-Pretty solid, although Elgin kinda got exposed. I mean, his look is just so BAD (even by Hoss standards) and he got outcharisma'd by quite a few guys). ***

RPG Vice/Young Bucks:
-Just because you have a story, doesn't mean the match itself was good. It was flippy indie trash at it's lowest. Interchangable with any of their other shit. **

NEVER 6 Man:
-Pretty good, the right guys went over and looked strong. ***1/4

Cody VS Juice:
-Completely forgettable. Corbin/Kalisto blew this match out last month. Cody has proven in his indie journey that he might have actually been OVERpushed in the WWE as a singles wrestler. **

Tiger Mask W VS Tiger Mask Dark:
-I laugh when people say Ibushi would be wasted in WWE, then watch this shit. Yuck. 1/2*

O'Reilly VS Cole:
-So what was the point of O'Reilly winning then? Hate when outside politics take the teeth out of a storyline. **3/4

--NOTE: Holy fuck was this ever a lukewarm first half.

IWGP Tag Match:
-This was actually really surprisingly fun and good. Ishii just refuses to be involved in something that's bad, by sheer force of will. ***1/2

Takahashi/KUSHIDA:
-I actually REALLY like this as a complete change of pace and showcase. Hopefully this will be the rival KUSHIDA needs to take him to the next level. ****1/2

Shibata/Goto:
-Loved it. Having two guys that are overqualified for this spot in the card makes the whole roster feel stronger. Replenishes Goto's character without selling out Shibata. ****1/4

Naito/Tanahashi:
-Best match of the night. Crowd was molten, Perfect kind of characters to clash, and man Tana can still go.
****3/4

Okada/Kenny:
-Omega's entrance managed to hit the daily double of corny AND dated.
-Omega just showed another reason why he's a poor man's HHH, with this long-for-the-sake-of-long unearned epic whose entire first half was a slog. The beginning was filler, and the second half was hot. KUSHIDA and Takahashi did more in a third of the time.
-At least the right guy won. ***1/2

Overall: Worse than WK 10, which was (slightly) worse than WK9. The first half of these things are showing the exact same sluggishness people complain about with Wrestlemania. There's still room for best PPV of the year, i'll put it that way.

8c3.jpg

nah, like what you like, I'm just being salty
mostly
cause that ME was so good

It's because kayfabe HHH doesn't know how to swing a sledgehammer

What do you want him to do, overhead swing onto their skulls, you psychoes?

Though, there was the one time he got Big Show with it (check around 13:15).

Top Bottom