• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Don't use my name in vain.
Facebook-c51041.png

Wat

1ybj5CMl.jpg

Well, this expands the possible winner field. That said:

1. They already had more than 16 guys announced
2. Didn't Mandrews just turn heel in TNA like 2 weeks ago?

Anth0ny

LMAO meltz gave it 6 fucking stars!!!!!!!

meltz you fuck

it wasn't better than bret/austin at mania 13

or rock/austin at mania 17

I don't even think I'd give it 5 stars. the first half of the match dragged. just looking at the last 3 wrestle kingdoms, I don't know if I rate it above the two Nakamura or Okada/Tana matches

Hasney

I'm still not sure what part of that match dragged exactly. There were two slightly slower outside the ring matches which were shorter than any rest hold in Austin/Rock or Austin/Bret. I certainly enjoyed it more in the first two viewings than those two matches and was the best match in the last 3 Wrestle Kingdoms (AKA the ones I've watched). Will have to rate it against some of my faves in time though.

Anth0ny

meltz seems to get super hyped about shit he just saw these days. he's like gaming side claiming a game is the GOAT after playing it for like 8 hours.

remember he claimed wrestlemania 31 was one of the greatest shows he'd ever seen? possibly the best wrestlemania? fuckin hell

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder how'd he WWE lockeroom must feel if they see the Tokyo Dome show.

Sure they may be getting paid more but they are limited in the scope of the match and they are usually booked to be jobbers to Vinces big guy of the week.
Outside of the finishes being predetermined the matches are laid out by the performers and road agents.

Tall4Life

meltz seems to get super hyped about shit he just saw these days. he's like gaming side claiming a game is the GOAT after playing it for like 8 hours.

remember he claimed wrestlemania 31 was one of the greatest shows he'd ever seen? possibly the best wrestlemania? fuckin hell

well, it was, very few manias have the same level of overall quality that 31 had

With other Manias they're basically just remembered for one match and the rest of the card is down right dog shit. Some Manias, especially early and in the NG era, don't even have that luxury

Syder

Meltz gets a lot of shit wrong, I can't call WK11 Main Event the 'greatest match of all time' or a 6* match because we're still too close to it but God damn is it deserving of a 5* rating.

Heroman

Banned

What, Dave has been talking about for weeks about how the Omega vs Odaka match wouldn't live up to expectations when in it blow pass them. For Dave to say something might be the greatest match of all time is something he never does

Anth0ny

well, it was, very few manias have the same level of overall quality that 31 had

With other Manias they're basically just remembered for one match and the rest of the card is down right dog shit. Some Manias, especially early and in the NG era, don't even have that luxury

i don't even remember it besides lesnar shooting on reigns and rollins cashing in

Hasney

WM31 should have two separate ratings. It's one of the greats to be watching live with all the surprises, but the matches don't hold up. It's like a 5 star PPV at the time and a 3 star on repeat.

So when will the greatest night in the history of our sport go up on Youtube? I want to see this.

It's on AXS next week.

Recall

LMAO meltz gave it 6 fucking stars!!!!!!!

meltz you fuck

it wasn't better than bret/austin at mania 13

or rock/austin at mania 17

I don't even think I'd give it 5 stars. the first half of the match dragged. just looking at the last 3 wrestle kingdoms, I don't know if I rate it above the two Nakamura or Okada/Tana matches

It didn't drag at all. Impatient.

Anth0ny

It didn't drag at all. Impatient.

it clearly did. it was a 45 minute match.

the first 20 minutes the crowd was quiet, okada was just working omega, it was real slow. I was already thinking "yeah they weren't going to top last year's main event..."

then the rest of the match happened :p

I'm catching up with 205 Live, and I'm sure people said Mustafa Ali did a face promo where he went against the "Angry foreigner" stereotype.

It appears to have been cut from the Network version.

Probably got cut because the guy he fought went into the match injured and fucked the whole match up.

Here's a shitty out of sync youtube version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cunBQVoRpIk

It happened on the Dec 27 episode of 205 Live. Not this week's

Kaladin

So who will WWE try to do a 45 minute epic on PPV with this year?

I have a feeling that they'll try to copy this match.

Zach

Someone make a higher quality gif of Benoit almost dying at No Mercy '03.

brh2nU.gif

Oh god, they just showed the replay. Brutal.

Anth0ny

That match was easily the best I've ever seen and flew by

i thought your name was tom

NOT MARK

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the beginning of the match,you can't expect the high spots from beginning to end. Patience my friends.

again, not expecting high spots from beginning to end. just calling it like I saw it. in other classic matches that I consider 5 star (austin/bret, rock/austin) I never thought to myself "this is slow. kinda bored here."

still an incredible match, don't get me wrong. I just consider it flawed when judging it at the very highest standard. the slow pace at the beginning of the match is quickly forgotten and forgiven after the insanity of the second half of the match, so with meltzer's star ratings i'd give it 4.75 stars. i just wouldn't call it perfect, that's all.

Fell asleep watching WK11 so trying again haha. I was just so tired.

Takahashi with that diving senton to the outside and just missed everything. That looked painful.

Aiii

So not worth it
Outside of the finishes being predetermined the matches are laid out by the performers and road agents.

WWE puts a lot of restrictions on performers though.

WWE Okada would never be allowed to hit those tombstones. That table spot would have been banned. To name but a few of the moves in that final match that would be deemed too unsafe in WWE.

Who's that lifting him up?

A-Train?

Top Bottom