• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| Big Month John

Sephzilla

If Omega accepts a WWE contract in the wake of just massively bashing WWE he's going to be jobbing to Roman and then working pre-shows faster than you can say APPLEDOUGH, and I'll hold no sympathy for him.

I always figured guys like Balor and Omega would never go because they had sweetheart deals and loved Japan (and in the case of Balor, had a ridiculous sponsorship for doing nothing at all)

But stranger things

Did people actually like that Omega entrance?
giphy.gif

The general consensus is that it was better than HHH's at least, and considering it's Omega it's delightfully corny.

There's several problems with Omega going to WWE.

1. He'd have to drop the One Winged Angel which would suck. It's one of the best finishers today, but it being a head-drop move means no way.
2. He can no longer make overt nerd references to how much he plays Street Fighter.
3. The end of the Omega/Austin Creed feud :(

That said, there's several dream matches and built-in feuds that can take place, him vs. Nakamura since Nak left NJPW before they fought, and of course, him vs. Balor vs. AJ for who was the greatest Club leader.

I always figured guys like Balor and Omega would never go because they had sweetheart deals and loved Japan (and in the case of Balor, had a ridiculous sponsorship for doing nothing at all)

But stranger things

Did Balor speak openly about his vision for the bigger picture? Omega is very vocal about it. I can't...don't want to...see a guy who is as ideological as he has been contradict his own ambition and feelings on the state of the industry and what role he wants to play.

Did Balor speak openly about his vision for the bigger picture? Omega is very vocal about it. I can't...don't want to...see a guy who is as ideological as he has been contradict his own ambition and feelings on the state of the industry and what role he wants to play.

Balor barely said two peeps outside of the interviews he had to do

Fox318

Meltzer on his board says that if WWE wants Omega, they could absolutely get him. Says he think it'd take something like $700k/year. Also said WWE really doesn't like when guys from other companies get big buzz.

As far as his contract, Dave says Omega'a old deal expired on Jan. 31st, but he doesn't know if there is a new deal in place or not.

WWE basically takes guys the second they are hot and jobs them out to their guys.

It destroys the value of their opponents brand and it helps promote theirs as the top brand.

But stranger things
It's win-win if cuz even if you flop (like Chris Hero) you can up your indie price by a bit just off wwe exposure and if you get over and succeed then you're gonna be earning bigger cash. Plus there's that whole of you haven't made in new york brother what have you done aspect.

Sephzilla

WWE basically takes guys the second they are hot and jobs them out to their guys.

It destroys the value of their opponents brand and it helps promote theirs as the top brand.

Nakamura has been kind of the exception so far though.

I can't say AJ Styles was an exception because they had Styles job to Jericho for no fucking reason at Wrestlemania 32: The Quest to Make Zero Sense

Hasney

Balor barely said two peeps outside of the interviews he had to do

Pretty much. Plus how big Okada and Gedo put over Omega after the match is either building him up for a return, or sweetening a renegotiation.

orioto

Good Art™
So i want your opinion wrestlegaf. I'm beginning to think..

Is it too late to save Owens already ? After that 6 month run, will they be able to book him seriously, as a competitive wrestler again ? Will we see a 4* Owens match again in our lives ?

Sephzilla

Is it too late to save Owens already ? After that 6 month run, will they be able to book him seriously, as a competitive wrestler again ? Will we see a 4* Owens match again in our lives ?

Yes - especially if he'd do something like move over to Smackdown and be a little further away from Vince and the Roman Reigns Experiment. Roman has slightly inherited the John Cena curse where everyone around him is suddenly booked like shit.

This whole program with Roman has severely De-elevated Owens. Only path to redemption for him is a big match where he kicks out of all Roman's finishers and buries him clean in the middle of the ring, one on one.

So, no.

orioto

Good Art™
Yes - especially if he'd do something like move over to Smackdown and be a little further away from Vince and the Roman Reigns Experiment

Yeah but they could stick to that chicken heel character now. They won't have the ball to turn him face, and they finally killed his smark cheers. They must be thinking, that's how we should use him. We broke him, we won, now he's our tool to piss fans.

Hasney

Anyone on Raw is doomed because the writing is terrible I'm afraid. They'll get a new lease if they move.

Owens character ceiling was in NXT unfortunately, he's going to be a chicken shit with egg on his face regularly who never gets legit wins for the rest of his career, on Raw at least.

orioto

Good Art™
Owens character ceiling was in NXT unfortunately, he's going to be a chicken shit with egg on his face regularly who never gets legit wins for the rest of his career, on Raw at least.

Well he WAS protected and not pinned clean by anyone (except Cena) for at least 6 month on RAW.

And even if now i'm worried cuse he's been pretty far from his regular self for too long.
He's been pushed to the moon actually. That's funny cause the way he's booked, everyone, including myself think he's in the worse situation, but.. i mean..

Owens debuted on RAW by defeating Cena clean, then became champ after one year, for 6 months. You cannot find that much equivalent of that in WWE history actually. That's crazy.

I hope it's some kind of tradition to. That.. your first run will make you a joke. It's some kind of hazing. I'd say every heel first run has been booked like that in recent memory.

What i mean is, i think Owens is actually super high in WWE's tablets and they believe in him.
My concern is more that the writers did went too far with it and they realize after that they can't really take him seriously anymore, like it happened before with others.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Oh man we're getting Roman vs Jericho AND Owens this week for the US Title....

C1gRPOzXcAArhSL.jpg

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/2017-01-09?sf49744641=1

Haha, and you all thought I'd be back after giving up on Raw last week. This is going to be TOO EASY. Couple washed up has-beens making nothing appearances and Roman squashing the 2 most over guys on the roster. Vince making this way too easy on me.

The Roman Reigns experiment is such a complete failure, not only is Roman still not over but everybody he touches becomes poison. It's almost impressive in a way, Vince has managed to do the exact opposite of what he intended.

Barrage

Owens' run has been a mess so far, but as previous posters have said Inaugural WWE Heel runs tend to be pretty weak.

Edge's was weak. Y2J's was terrible. HHH's was a mess.

Guys like the Rock and Angle are exceptions.

It's amazing how much the Miz's run has improved in retrospect.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The general consensus is that it was better than HHH's at least, and considering it's Omega it's delightfully corny.

I don't see how anyone could think that unless their hate for Triple H is reaching Menome-liking-Sandow levels of cringe.

Triple H's mold was actually well-done and had the real Terminator props with them. It didn't fit the wrestling gear but at least it wasn't a cheap party city mask like Omega worse. It was also a sponsored deal with the production company(Same as Mysterio's) and fit the motif of Triple H's 'cerebral assassin' gimmick. I don't remember Arnie playing a wacky anime janitor personally.

Haha, and you all thought I'd be back after giving up on Raw last week. This is going to be TOO EASY. Couple washed up has-beens making nothing appearances and Roman squashing the 2 most over guys on the roster. Vince making this way too easy on me.
Been off Raw for about 2 months and never been happier.

We would be better off pretending it didn't exist.

United States Champion Roman Reigns seems unstoppable lately, retaining his title against both Chris Jericho and WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens in recent weeks. However, live this Monday in New Orleans, The Big Dog will need to defend Old Glory against both Jeri-KO members simultaneously in a Handicap Match.

The notorious best friends already consider themselves co-bearers of the WWE Universal Championship — a title officially held by Owens — but they could very well also share the U.S. Title by Monday’s end if the numbers game works in their favor.

Additionally, this match comes less than three weeks before Reigns challenges Owens for Team Red’s crown jewel at Royal Rumble, when Jericho will be locked inside a shark cage and suspended above the ring to forestall his interference. It’ll be a fair fight for Reigns that night in the Alamodome. But this Monday, The Big Easy will be anything but for the indomitable Superstar.

Despite the circumstances, The Big Dog’s confidence seems to remain unshaken.

Who talks like this?

Sephzilla

As I said the other day, I'm convinced that Roman Reigns is Vince's last big attempt to prove to everyone that he's still a booking genius. He won't turn Roman heel because doing that would be accepting that Roman's face push was a failure.

I don't see how anyone could think that unless their hate for Triple H is reaching Menome-liking-Sandow levels of cringe.

Triple H's mold was actually well-done and had the real Terminator props with them. It didn't fit the wrestling gear but at least it wasn't a cheap party city mask like Omega worse. It was also a sponsored deal with the production company(Same as Mysterio's) and fit the motif of Triple H's 'cerebral assassin' gimmick. I don't remember Arnie playing a wacky anime janitor personally.

The actual shit HHH wore in that intro looked insulting even by low-level cosplay standards. Plus the costume didn't even make sense because Terminators don't look anything like that.

How many stars did Meltz give Zach vs Bluekaveli?
The Roman Reigns experiment is such a complete failure, not only is Roman still not over but everybody he touches becomes poison. It's almost impressive in a way, Vince has managed to do the exact opposite of what he intended.
Yup, fuck Roman.

Browny

Banned
Strowman will interfere on Monday and deck all three of them, and there will be at least 3 posts of #ThankyouStrowman.

T1 Kenny's left, T2 Kenny's going to return. That was my takeaway from the whole Terminator thing, personally.

And yeah, Kenny's facemask only looked slightly better than "MiSu revealing he's a robot after epic fight with Mecha Mummy" tbh.

WWE announced the 16 entrants for the UK tournament:

http://www.wwe.com/section/uk-championship-tournament-competitors

Scotland is woefully under represented. I know Galloway dislikes WWE but there are a few big Scottish guys they could have got to participate.

For starters

Joe Coffey
Kenny Williams (every tourney needs a plucky Cruiserweight to get crushed by a heel, plus he is an amazing high flyer)

I will not do an exhaustive list but I am disappointed.

Scotland is woefully under represented. I know Galloway dislikes WWE but there are a few big Scottish guys they could have got to participate.

For starters

Joe Coffey
Kenny Williams (every tourney needs a plucky Cruiserweight to get crushed by a heel, plus he is an amazing high flyer)

I will not do an exhaustive list but I am disappointed.

Both of those are under ITV contract.

Top Bottom