• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| It's a New Year, Yes It Is!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

I feel like WWE feeding into the Styles/Nakamura rumors is a huge mistake unless they have something big planned. You know that the Rumble crowd is just going to chant AJ's name until he shows up. If he doesn't, they'll just keep chanting it and it'll hurt the match again. Then if he does show up and he doesn't win, then the crowd will just shit on the match like they've done the past two years.

They finally got rid of the Daniel Bryan problem and now they might have created a new one all on their own.

As an outside observer of the wrestling community, I feel as though this may be a misrepresentation of the star power of "AJ Styles".

Ithil

I feel like WWE feeding into the Styles/Nakamura rumors is a huge mistake unless they have something big planned. You know that the Rumble crowd is just going to chant AJ's name until he shows up. If he doesn't, they'll just keep chanting it and it'll hurt the match again. Then if he does show up and he doesn't win, then the crowd will just shit on the match like they've done the past two years.

They finally got rid of the Daniel Bryan problem and now they might have created a new one all on their own.

They already kicked the Rumble in the nuts by making it revolve around Reigns again, even though he's already the champion. A second kick to the nuts is irrelevant, they're already numb.

I consider the likelihood of the Royal Rumble crowd chanting for AJ Styles to be essentially insignificant

Pretty unlikely. AJ is not a huge name in the US outside of IWC type fans.

Every other show I'd agree with you. For example I saw someone suggest that his name might get chanted at Raw, which is ludicrous. But the RR has become like WM in recent years, where people are traveling to see it. The crowd make-up is significantly more non-local than any other PPV besides Mania and maybe SS. Those fans who are willing to travel for the Rumble are the same fans who would know who AJ Styles is. You really think it was casual fans that chanted so hard for Bryan and booed Roman so much last year?

Zach

Oh, I just saw that Reigns is the champion. I assumed the championship was vacant and that's why it was on the line in the Rumble. Gotta say, it's pretty lame if Reigns successfully defends the title against 29 other men. Especially if he's, like, the #1 entrant, which I'm guessing he is because of Corrupt Upper Management.

Mahonay

Banned
Getting into the Tananashi/Okada match. That springboard drop kick from across the ring by Okada was pretty incredible looking.

Ithil

Pretty unlikely. AJ is not a huge name in the US outside of IWC type fans.

The Rumble is in Orlando, where AJ wrestled for TNA for years (LOLTNA aside, they did have national TV), and the Rumble crowd is the second most hardcore crowd of the year after WM. It's a pretty solid possibility they know who he is.

Mahonay

Banned
The Rumble is in Orlando, where AJ wrestled for TNA for years (LOLTNA aside, they did have national TV), and the Rumble crowd is the second most hardcore crowd of the year after WM. It's a pretty solid possibility they know who he is.
I guess that's true. That area is pretty familiar with him.

klonere

Banned
I'm still not 100% sold on them being immediate main roster slot ins. I think that Hunter said Vince "hey if we really wanna make this third brand to murder the indies all over again, we are gonna need some of these NJPW guys". Its one of the only things an ROH show might be able to offer over an NXT show right now - the presence of some Japanese talent.

The value that they bring to an NXT I think is far more immediately actionable or convertible than the leg-work that would inevitably be needed on the main roster - legwork that would very likely damage the performers. I genuinely do not see their role on the main roster unless they are literally warm bodies to promote the Network in Japan and then get folded into the meaningless midcard that would be a poor ROI for the money they paying and potential they are wasting. Like Heel said - these are not guys whose music can hit and instantly wake up a sleepy Raw crowd in Minnesota. They aren't names to that demographic they are just more dudes that aren't Roman or HHH/Steph/Vince.

What I'm saying is please god stay in NXT please please PLEASE

Hex

Banned

Remeber what happened last time when they kept chanting someone's name and they did not show up.
Poor Rey.

Hex

Banned
I'm still not 100% sold on them being immediate main roster slot ins. I think that Hunter said Vince "hey if we really wanna make this third brand to murder the indies all over again, we are gonna need some of these NJPW guys". Its one of the only things an ROH show might be able to offer over an NXT show right now - the presence of some Japanese talent.

The value that they bring to an NXT I think is far more immediately actionable or convertible than the leg-work that would inevitably be needed on the main roster - legwork that would very likely damage the performers. I genuinely do not see their role on the main roster unless they are literally warm bodies to promote the Network in Japan and then get folded into the meaningless midcard that would be a poor ROI for the money they paying and potential they are wasting.

Sadly what they do not get is it is not the talent (though it helps), it is the pathetic writing and bullshit match mentality that they use right now.
And as was touched on before the announce team is garbage.
They talk about anything and everything except making the match exciting. They use forced terms, canned phrases, and talk about whatever else there is to shill except what is happening in the ring.

The value that they bring to an NXT I think is far more immediately actionable or convertible than the leg-work that would inevitably be needed on the main roster - legwork that would very likely damage the performers. I genuinely do not see their role on the main roster unless they are literally warm bodies to promote the Network in Japan and then get folded into the meaningless midcard that would be a poor ROI for the money they paying and potential they are wasting.

They are paying Styles and Nakamura way, way too much to be in NXT. NXT is a loss-leader as it is, adding their salaries on top of that would make it even worse.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I can see why Rollins fans would be that way. Their idol hurts other people he think will get in the way of his push.

Mahonay

Banned
If you want to watch a bully watch the Table for 3 where Bryan just makes fun of Ryback the entire time.

It's amazing

Ithil

The value that they bring to an NXT I think is far more immediately actionable or convertible than the leg-work that would inevitably be needed on the main roster - legwork that would very likely damage the performers. I genuinely do not see their role on the main roster unless they are literally warm bodies to promote the Network in Japan and then get folded into the meaningless midcard that would be a poor ROI for the money they paying and potential they are wasting. Like Heel said - these are not guys whose music can hit and instantly wake up a sleepy Raw crowd in Minnesota. They aren't names to that demographic they are just more dudes that aren't Roman or HHH/Steph/Vince.

Big Scoop Dave said AJ and Nakamura aren't being signed "for NXT" but that that doesn't mean they, Nakamura especially, aren't necessarily going to the Performance Center or a brief NXT run to learn that WWE style, it means they're being signed for far too much money to keep them hanging around in developmental for ages, and they're also way too old/battered to keep them in the lower leagues, if you want to make money on them you'll have to do it now.
So it may not mean Nakamura walks from New Beginning or whichever his last show is to RAW, it may just mean he's super fast tracked when he arrives for the traditional "reprogramming".

AJ probably has the best chance of going straight to the main roster given he's not far off WWE's style, just faster really.

Mahonay

Banned
Okada/Tanahashi was a good fucking traditional wrasslin' match.

Really cool to see the insane hard style match of AJ vs Nanamura followed up by this. Great booking this year.

Who the fuck knows will be slotted in come time for WK11.

miserable

if you ain't down with the superkick party, you can suck it

MeVgEDc.gif

Okada/Tanahashi was a good fucking traditional wrasslin' match.

Really cool to see the insane hard style match of AJ vs Nanamura followed up by this. Great booking this year.

Who the fuck knows will be slotted in come time for WK11.

it will finally be Shibata's year to shine.

or just give it to Suzuki.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Considering he's the top star in the industry I think that's safe to say.

It's a lot deeper than that. He's got the endurance of a King's Road type but he's the most WWE type WWE guy ever. Him out of his comfort zone would be extremely exciting if just for the contrast with other promotions.

ROH tonight

Roderick Strong vs. Stevie Richards
No DQ match: Will Ferrara vs. Caprice Coleman
Cedric Alexander w/Veda Scott vs. Jonathan Gresham
Donovan Dijak w/Truth Martini vs. Michael Elgin

I don't like the way ROH tries to shove nicknames down fans' throats, but these are some of the most vanilla names I've ever seen.

Also, Stevie Richards, in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom