• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Rapstah

I'm really looking forward to Michael Cole shilling the Network in WWE 2k15. "Great match here, but if you missed any of the matches this week, subscribe to the WWE Network for only 9.99$ a month."

Aiii

So not worth it
Tried asking Unblock-us if they were going to add the WWE Network quickly after it launches. Got a generic answer, but I hope that I made them aware of it and hopefully more people request it.

I need this.

Maybe they won't regionlock it and I can just get a sub with my prepaid creditcard (no postal code and name on that so I can use it and pretend to be from the US)

Hasney

Tried asking Unblock-us if they were going to add the WWE Network quickly after it launches. Got a generic answer, but I hope that I made them aware of it and hopefully more people request it.

Doing the same when I get home from work.

Hasney

sDtVKji.png

I'd watch it

Rapstah

Haven't watched NXT, but that sounds strange, Bayley is really popular, and normally gets big crowd reactions on her own.

She had possibly the biggest authentic crowd chant of the night early in the match too. No clue why they would do crowd sweetening in the one show they have where almost all of the audience are into what they're doing.

Edit: Curtis Axel accidentally predicting he won't be with WWE for the future:

curtisapartwosu4.png

How about you say "part of" to 100% remove the possibility of mixing up "a part of" and "apart of".

I'm sure using a proxy will get by any region restrictions, but is it likely they'll have restrictions on the payment as well? Netflix US used to need a US card, I remember having to set up a prepaid US card to pay for it before it launched in the UK.

Into

I am pretty sure i just heard Alvarez and Meltzer run down what this network is available on and:

Alvarez: Its on Roku and Playstation 3 and 4
Meltzer: yeah, and also later on 1 and 2
Alvarez: Yea

wat

Wish i could use my PSX to watch WWE Network

Kaladin

I just thought of another thing. Indie companies have been pioneering the whole iPPV market for a few years now.

Vince just made them all look like chumps. Most indie companies charge $10 - $15 per show, VOD or Live. These shows are usually low quality and are hit and miss if they work or not. Vince is giving you everything from live shows to access to the vault to new original content with professional production qualities, on all devices at $10 per month.

Biggest things you can compare it to in the indie worlds are WWNLive, Ring Of Honor's Ringside Membership and Smart Mark Video On Demand. None of them provide the level of service for the value that you'll get from WWE Network though.

This is of course, assuming that it all works....and I'm fairly certain that by partnering with the guys behind MLB.tv, it will.

WWE network seems worth it for PPV's alone.

Shame it wont launch here for a while... if ever. Would have signed up for the 6 months just for mania.

Aiii

So not worth it
Vince is clearly banking on everyone who orders one PPV a year to order a full year, thus doubling his income, at least he'll break even due to the 6 month commitment as long as they keep coming back for that one PPV every year.

Plus he'll win over a lot of pirates too, it's a pretty sweet deal.

Kind of amazed they didn't go 12,99 though, pretty sure he wouldn't have lost many potential customers at that price point.

Kaladin

Vince is clearly banking on everyone who orders one PPV a year to order a full year, thus doubling his income, at least he'll break even due to the 6 month commitment as long as they keep coming back for that one PPV every year.

Plus he'll win over a lot of pirates too, it's a pretty sweet deal.

Kind of amazed they didn't go 12,99 though, pretty sure he wouldn't have lost many potential customers at that price point.

They could have done $12.99, they probably saw in their surveys that $9.99 would have got them enough subs to let go of that extra $3 per month.

jred2k

Its nice to finally see some companies catching on to the fact that if you offer a convenient and competitively priced service, people will choose that over piracy. For the most part, at least. They might lose some money on people that were buying individual PPVs before, but the gains from people that would only stream will make up for that I think.

I just thought of another thing. Indie companies have been pioneering the whole iPPV market for a few years now.

Vince just made them all look like chumps.

I wouldn't say he made them look like chumps, given the vast gap in resources, but he just priced them out of the game. Indie wrestling is still struggling to recover from the death of DVD sales, as it is - many are finding that people won't pay for a $15-$25 DVD of a show that's 2-12+ months old and, while a demand for watching shows live and on VOD services is certainly there, many have shown they can't cope with that step, as well as simply not having the ability to price their content at a competitive level. For instance, I've previously subscribed to the CHIKARA VOD service at www.shop.wrestlingis.com and for $7.99 a month you get access to about 12 shows per month from CHIKARA, Kaiju, Wrestling Is, etc. Similarly, New Japan usually put on 1-2 or more iPPVs per month, at a cost of $25 for big shows and $15 for smaller shows. In just 3-4 months of buying New Japan iPPVs you'd have likely spent the same as it would cost to subscribe to the WWE Network for a year. Even if they were to offer some sort of season ticket for their Ustream broadcasts, it would still likely cost significantly more than what Vince is offering. He's pretty much priced everyone out of the game. Of course fans of different wrestling products will still pay for they content they enjoy, but if the WWE Network proves to be a success I think it'll be harder than ever for any other company to attract new fans.

Downhome

It may be time to give Lipstick and Dynamite another watch. Great documentary if you haven't seen it, and I think it may still be on Netflix.

Kaladin

I wouldn't say he made them look like chumps, given the vast gap in resources, but he just priced them out of the game. Indie wrestling is still struggling to recover from the death of DVD sales, as it is - many are finding that people won't pay for a $15-$25 DVD of a show that's 2-12+ months old and, while a demand for watching shows live and on VOD services is certainly there, many have shown they can't cope with that step, as well as simply not having the ability to price their content at a competitive level. For instance, I've previously subscribed to the CHIKARA VOD service at www.shop.wrestlingis.com and for $7.99 a month you get access to about 12 shows per month from CHIKARA, Kaiju, Wrestling Is, etc. Similarly, New Japan usually put on 1-2 or more iPPVs per month, at a cost of $25 for big shows and $15 for smaller shows. In just 3-4 months of buying New Japan iPPVs you'd have likely spent the same as it would cost to subscribe to the WWE Network for a year. Even if they were to offer some sort of season ticket for their Ustream broadcasts, it would still likely cost significantly more than what Vince is offering. He's pretty much priced everyone out of the game. Of course fans of different wrestling products will still pay for they content they enjoy, but if the WWE Network proves to be a success I think it'll be harder than ever for any other company to attract new fans.

Yeah, price is one thing that indie companies had over WWE big time. "Their big shows are $45+ each. All of our shows are big shows, and you can see them for $10 each, live...or if not live, we'll have it up in a few days at most." When you take that advantage away, why would someone go to the indies over WWE unless they really like the indie product?

Penguin

While not reported widely yet, but according to various tweets from people who would know it appears that Mae Young passed away early this morning. RIP Mae, you were one of a kind!

Here is a truly touching moment between her and Vince...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxaN4WwDUa4&feature=player_embedded

Here is one source...

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...hall-of-famer-mae-young-passes-away-at-age-90

It's sad to hear, but 90 is a great age.

Now she can be back with Moolah.

Xater

It's really funny WWE found a way to pretty much beat pirates too. Everyone asking for lamps and Vince came with a stadium light

What companies need to learn is that people will buy stuff if it has the right price and is more convenient than pirating it. This looks like a great offer to me. Some companies just don#t go all the way or just expect too much.

Xater

Yup. You need the right price, it has to be convenient and it has to be a simultaneous release. The latter is especially true for TV shows and movies.

I think the music industry have basically figured their shit out at this point. There are lots of good steaming services. Hollywood still has to figure their stuff out.

That depends entirely on how region locked this is though. :(

Let's just hope they will roll their service out to lots of regions quickly. Maybe they will have their shit together.

Aiii

So not worth it
Also, judging from the OT thread, they are going to get alot of interest from old fans subbing for the first six months.

The WM to SummerSlam period better be alot better than the past four months since Summerslam were.

Xater

Also, judging from the OT thread, they are going to get alot of interest from old fans subbing for the first six months.

The WM to SummerSlam period better be alot better than the past four months since Summerslam were.

If you think about it a subscription might force them to keep the quality up consistently. Because as soon as someone is not happy anymore her or she will probably no longer subscribe. And since this is probably meant to replace their PPV business down the line that would be a huge loss. Also they need a certain number of subscribers. I think the number was 800.000 to 1 million to break even.

Yeah, indies can kiss any DVD sales of consequence good bye now. It's all VOD or Live now thanks to this.

And they'll need to work real hard to justify the price they've got now. It's a rough go.

I think the big ones (WWN/RF/Highspots/SMV) are in a decent spot to keep up, but anyone else is probably toast. The infrastructure is most important.

Hopefully it also means less work for me so I can stay home*!

*It doesn't. I'm fucked. :-(

Though to be fair, this is the most insane value proposition I've seen from something like this. Vince went ALL IN. He'll never be able to go back to normal PPV prices after this. If this fails, shit goes crazy.

Also an odd note: How does this affect PPV bonuses? That's based on the buy rate. Changed to Network royalties?

And quality: Are they prepared? Because the Mania stream last year was balls

CHROMECAST WOOOO

Kaladin

PWG is the only indie I can think of that still survives on DVD sales. That's because their product is so good and their fans are willing to go that route for that level of product.

And quality: Are they prepared? Because the Mania stream last year was balls

Fairly certain WWE has quality down. We'll know with Mania, but they've got the guys who work on MLB.tv behind their service. I've never heard any complaints about MLB.tv streaming quality.

Pizoxuat

I subscribed to shop.wrestlingis.com because I like Kaiju Big Battel and wanted to see what the fuss was with Chikara. At the time I thought $7.99 for that much content was a pretty good deal. Ended up unsubscribing a few months later due to technical issues with their streaming, but figured I would pick it up again at a later date when they had things in a better place.

Probably not, now. I'm going to have more wrestling content than I can possibly watch in my lifetime.

Basically, if you don't have a monthly subscription style deal or are New Japan, you can suck my ball because I'm not paying you that much anymore :p

Its not like movies where indie movies are potentially infinitely more interesting or creative, either.

It's like comparing a baseball game on network TV to a home video of your son's baseball game. And I film things! But I know the limitations. And most indies just don't care about filming.

Aiii

So not worth it
If you think about it a subscription might force them to keep the quality up consistently. Because as soon as someone is not happy anymore her or she will probably no longer subscribe. And since this is probably meant to replace their PPV business down the line that would be a huge loss. Also they need a certain number of subscribers. I think the number was 800.000 to 1 million to break even.

On the other hand, PPV's are now even less special as you pay only 9,99 for them and there are no more buyrate incentives for WWE.

Actually, that might not be a bad thing, because why pay 5 million for a Rock WM appearance if it's not going to translate in money earned?

Top Bottom