• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Watched this one a while back, it's a real great match, Maeda is mean as hell - everyone should give it a watch. Here's a couple of gifs;

ig6RGUYj2wVtZ.gif
iZnU0x6cLbNA0.gif

have you seen the Maeda vs Dutch Mantell and Maeda vs Norman Smiley matches? i think i posted them before.

here's one i'm sure i didn't:

Akira Maeda vs Volk Han (is there a cooler name than this?) - Fighting Network Rings, 1991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq3HTIu4G_k

RINGS was founded by Maeda himself and just like Pancrase at the beggining, it involved alot of worked shoot-style matches in the early years, this being widely acknowledged as one of them.

excellent shoot-style work, in the same vein as the original UWF.

since i know you gonna become a Volk Han fan after that match, Boots, here's an even better one:

Volk Han vs Kiyoshi Tamura - Fighting Network Rings, 1997
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSVFOTtx52A

Zach

Oh. I should have posted in here, I think. Concerning the WWE Network:

You know what would be awesome? Being able to easily watch all of the PPVs chronologically. Like, being able to select which promotion or promotions you want to include and then just go go go in order. That would be amazing.

Xater

On the other hand, PPV's are now even less special as you pay only 9,99 for them and there are no more buyrate incentives for WWE.

Actually, that might not be a bad thing, because why pay 5 million for a Rock WM appearance if it's not going to translate in money earned?

It's still going to. I would assume cheaper PPV will be the driving force behind subscriptions with the library right behind it. This should ensure that they also always want mania season to be special because they want people to commit for 6 months. It's pretty clever to basically have the first subscription season begin right before Mania.

have you seen the Maeda vs Dutch Mantell and Maeda vs Norman Smiley matches? i think i posted them before.

here's one i'm sure i didn't:

Akira Maeda vs Volk Han (is there a cooler name than this?) - Fighting Network Rings, 1991
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pq3HTIu4G_k

RINGS was founded by Maeda himself and just like Pancrase at the beggining, it involved alot of worked shoot-style matches in the early years, this being widely acknowledged as one of them.

excellent shoot-style work, in the same vein as the original UWF.

since i know you gonna become a Volk Han fan after that match, Boots, here's an even better one:

Volk Han vs Kiyoshi Tamura - Fighting Network Rings, 1997
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSVFOTtx52A

Yeah, I've seen the Dutch & Smiley matches before - if it's UWF I've probably seen it or got it on a disc somewhere. Really haven't seen much RINGS, though, always been curious about Volk Han though, as you rightly say; he has a freaking awesome name.

Random thoughts about the Maeda match; for a guy who doesn't seem to use a lot of kicks, Han's are very snappy and precise. Also, I like the way he guards against Maeda's kicks. THAT FREAKING DDT! Fuck. Volk does this sweet takedown into a leglock for Maeda's 2nd rope break that I don't know how to describe, but it was awesome. Great side suplex from Volk. I really wish that bicycle kick had connected, also I like those random headbutts to the chest he does. Kick ass finishing stretch, loved Volk getting cocky and acting like a dick to Maeda. Great finish as well.

if7DlAPqAbTEc.gif
ibmFF5QGuHMdb3.gif

Really enjoyed that, gonna add the other Volk match to my to watch list.

Don't forget to check out my review of this past Monday's Ring of Honor TV. Would really appreciate any feedback of clicks provided!

http://www.wrestleenigma.com/roh-on...ghlights-final-battle-2013-and-a-hero-returns

*shameless promo*

Question to Wrassle-GAF: How many of you read the full match breakdowns on pro wrestling sites, and how many of you just jump to the end to see the winner and analysis/opinion?

Forgot to mention I read this, thanks for taking the time - I haven't been keeping up with ROH TV at all. Personally, I read the full match breakdowns, but I don't like them super in depth. I think there's a balance between calling the match, analysing what they're doing and giving an opinion that's fairly hard to hit. Also, if you're looking to do gifs, I definitely recomment gifcam, it's super easy; http://blog.bahraniapps.com/?page_id=21 while min.us is a good host for gifs; min.us

It's still going to. I would assume cheaper PPV will be the driving force behind subscriptions with the library right behind it. This should ensure that they also always want mania season to be special because they want people to commit for 6 months. It's pretty clever to basically have the first subscription season begin right before Mania.

I only like to read about the promos, the severe botches, and what Stro is drinking at the time.

Penguin

It's weird, the WWF seemed to push Backlund hard at the 93 Rumble, but to my knowledge he wasn't even on the Mania IX card

Is Merdock in either of those. Yikes. That was a bad Rumble.

Oh god I remember that. When I was a kid I was like "who the fuck is this fat old ugly dude and why should I know him?" That guy was so out of place in that rumble. Why have a 70's guy that nobody knows in a 90's rumble? At least get some 80's guys in there

Aiii

So not worth it
We could go an entire year of OTs by just using titles of classic movies and novels and adapt them to match wrasslin' events.

strobogo

Banned
And it was really short and nothing. Weird since Razor was coming off of a title shot at the Rumble and main event tag with Flair vs Macho/Perfect. I would have expected something a little more big time than a sub-4 minute match with Backlund at WM.

I feel like constantly wishing to anally rape Paige is worse than Aiiiiiii's love affair with AJ or Soul's love affair with Kane.
You think I wanna anally her, brah? I respect her, I respect the sport. Things will never stoop as low as Soulplaya when he ran things. If I meet her I know she will fall in lobe with me.

I don't like this 6 month commitment, billed monthly stuff. It should be like Xbox Live, I buy a 6 or 12 month card in cash and then it's done when it's done, I don't have to worry about auto renew our whatever.

The way they have WWE Network set-up, what, are you going to have like a 2 week grace period to cancel? And if you forget and want to cancel a week later,

"Sorry sir, you auto renewed your subscription, if you want to cancel it'll be $50"

Fuuuck that.

Let me pay a lump sum in cash from the get go.

Aiii

So not worth it
I don't like this 6 month commitment, billed monthly stuff. It should be like Xbox Live, I buy a 6 or 12 month card in cash and then it's done when it's done, I don't have to worry about auto renew our whatever.

The way they have WWE Network set-up, what, are you going to have like a 2 week grace period to cancel? And if you forget and want to cancel a week later,

"Sorry sir, you auto renewed your subscription, if you want to cancel it'll be $50"

Fuuuck that.

To be honest, the monthly payment is more likely to remind you you're still paying for something than paying once, waiting six months and then paying again. Now you'll see the money go from your account every month and be reminded you pay for the stuff.

Fuuuck that.

?

The way most of these minimum commitment subscriptions work is you are only locked in for the first block and after that you can quit at any time. So if you want to quit at the 7/8/9/10 etc mark you will be fine, just not at the 2/3/4/5. It's not like you can only quit at the 6/12/18 month periods.

To be honest, the monthly payment is more likely to remind you you're still paying for something than paying once, waiting six months and then paying again. Now you'll see the money go from your account every month and be reminded you pay for the stuff.
On the contrary, your more likely to forget if you have auto recurring payments (unless it overdrafts your account). All I'm saying is they better have a way to make sure you've opted out of auto-renew.

?

The way most of these minimum commitment subscriptions work is you are only locked in for the first block and after that you can quit at any time. So if you want to quit at the 7/8/9/10 etc mark you will be fine, just not at the 2/3/4/5. It's not like you can only quit at the 6/12/18 month periods.
People here were posting reports about them only offering 6 month chunks.

Xater

?

Yeah I would think it's a minimum commitment.

Aiii

So not worth it
On the contrary, your more likely to forget if you have auto recurring payments (unless it overdrafts your account). All I'm saying is they better have a way to make sure you've opted out of auto-renew.

Oh well, then just sub and cancel right after so you don't get renewed. I did this on Netflix the first few months before I was sure I wouldn't be unable to cancel even if I lost access via Mediahint/Unblock.

I can confirm it's renewed per 6 months, Meltzer and Alvarez interviewed guys and this was confirmed.

Oh well, then just sub and cancel right after so you don't get renewed. I did this on Netflix the first few months before I was sure I wouldn't be unable to cancel even if I lost access via Mediahint/Unblock.

I can confirm it's renewed per 6 months, Meltzer and Alvarez interviewed guys and this was confirmed.
Yep.

Then if you try to cancel a month in to your new 6 month commitment, you'll just say to yourself,

"$50?! Fuck it, may as well keep it for 5 more months."

And 5 months later, you forget to cancel again.

They got us now. They got us by the balls.

Seriously, if Xbox Live or PS+ launched with 6 month minimum commitments and no cash option for next-gen, there'd be riots in gaming side.

Aiii

So not worth it
Seriously, if Xbox Live or PS+ launched with 6 month minimum commitments and no cash option for next-gen, there'd be riots in gaming side.

And in the meantime they're subbed for life.

Gaming side just likes to throw fits over every bit of news they can get their hands on.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

As great as PS+ is this is a pretty terrible analogy. PS+ would literally have to give away new retail titles that basically come out in that same month to deliver the same kind of value proposition that the WWE Network is offering.

The 6 month commitment is fine because of what you're getting. PS+ and XBLA don't have major events like Wrestlemania where people would sign up for 1 month and then cancel after the month.

Woah, New Japan coming to the US again?

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Jushin Liger and NJPW President Naoki Sugabayashi are in Taiwan to promote the two shows New Japan have there later this year - when asked if they had plans to tour elsewhere, Sugabayashi replied that they're working on touring Thailand and the USA!

Also, GHC Jr. Heavyweight Champion Taiji Ishimori has challenged IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Champion Kota Ibushi to a Title vs Title match! Ishimori has held the GHC belt for 9 months, defeating every Jr. Heavyweight in Pro-Wrestling NOAH and now wants to become a double champion.

Top Bottom