• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Anth0ny

Hmmm.

An interesting question just came to mind.

Does all PPVs include Over The Edge 1999?

No way. Nothing even happened on that show that was important to the story (I believe it was Austin vs Taker at the time?), so they'll probably leave it out out of respect.

Pleae run somewhere in New York new japan please .

Also don see the problem with a. Six month sub. Need to present people from scamming it

Plus you get all those ppvs.

iw6FNnfN9SMpD.jpg

Badass.

Bronson Lee said:
And last tour was kind of stupid/they weren't as fucking nuclear as they are now

Yeah, it was literally right before they started picking up steam, internationally. Didn't they run the ECW Arena last time?

I'd like to think they could at least pack out the Hammerstein Ballroom if they mixed in a few big indie names to the cards. Also, Michael Elgin vs Katsuyori Shibata. This has to happen. You know it makes total sense.

Downhome

That's definitely gone LOL

I don't think anyone would be able to sit through that comfortably today....

Oddly enough I went to YT last night and watched most of it, the interviews and stuff at least. Yeah, very creepy to watch knowing what went down. Even worse is how you can now tell there was a hint of worry with just about everyone as they were learning the truth of what happened as the show was airing. Looking back on it, one of the biggest blunders WWE ever allowed to happen. Not really their fault, someone dies you do a tribute show, but still, so weird.

Aiii

So not worth it
Oddly enough I went to YT last night and watched most of it, the interviews and stuff at least. Yeah, very creepy to watch knowing what went down. Even worse is how you can now tell there was a hint of worry with just about everyone as they were learning the truth of what happened as the show was airing. Looking back on it, one of the biggest blunders WWE ever allowed to happen. Not really their fault, someone dies you do a tribute show, but still, so weird.

If they had done a normal Raw it would be like Owen all over again (provided Benoit had just passed away and not done the murdering of course) and Vince would still be taking shit for it today.

Rapstah

Regal, as one of the people who Benoit texted that night, pretty much knows by the time they shoot it. He tries to restrict his praise to Benoit's career and doesn't say too much about his private life.

This is what WWE 2k14 is claiming is Dolph Ziggler's face for use with the character creator.
zigglermxk2l.jpg

Edit: I swear it looked weirder before I posted it. It almost looks normal to me now.

Downhome

If they had done a normal Raw it would be like Owen all over again (provided Benoit had just passed away and not done the murdering of course) and Vince would still be taking shit for it today.

Before that show aired, they say that people in the company had an idea that something horrible happened, either Benoit did something or Nancy did something, something involving murder within their family. What they should have done is have Vince come out at the start, say what he said, but not do any sort of tribute show and especially not a normal RAW. They should have just called that one a night, reaired something, some sort of greatest whatever show, something.

EDIT:

Here is the Regal bit we're talking about for those who have never seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp3OQAL22T8

Ithil

Seriously, if Xbox Live or PS+ launched with 6 month minimum commitments and no cash option for next-gen, there'd be riots in gaming side.

I guarantee almost everyone who would complain about it owns a full time subscription to Live/PS+ in the meantime.

Aiii

So not worth it
Before that show aired, they say that people in the company had an idea that something horrible happened, either Benoit did something or Nancy did something, something involving murder within their family. What they should have done is have Vince come out at the start, say what he said, but not do any sort of tribute show and especially not a normal RAW. They should have just called that one a night, reaired something, some sort of greatest whatever show, something.

Hindsight and what not. People loved Benoit, they decided to do a tribute show, shit went down and this is how it ended up.

There really was no way to win in that situation.

FyreWulff

Hindsight and what not. People loved Benoit, they decided to do a tribute show, shit went down and this is how it ended up.

There really was no way to win in that situation.

There's a reason they wait now before running memoriams on Raw, that's for sure

Maybe Rafa just has a fetish for putting girls into the Camel Clutch. Then when he gets aroused, he politely excuses himself and goes away to jerk off.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
No way. Nothing even happened on that show that was important to the story (I believe it was Austin vs Taker at the time?), so they'll probably leave it out out of respect.

Didn't Undertaker pin Austin to win the title at that show?

strobogo

Banned
Chavo's is the weirdest because he made a point to say he would trust Benoit with his wife and kids, when if there was anyone that knew what happened at that time, it was him.

I feel like JBL said something weird on the Benoit show too, but I can't find a clip of it.

I remember hearing talk when it aired that JBL had been wondering aloud if Benoit had anything to do with killing his kid, and that it shook a lot of people, especially Regal, as you can see in his interview.

I remember hearing talk when it aired that JBL had been wondering aloud if Benoit had anything to do with killing his kid, and that it shook a lot of people, especially Regal, as you can see in his interview.

I wasn't watching wrestling and don't remember the event all that well.

Can someone quickly summarize the timeline of events that happened in the Benoit murder suicide?

XenoRaven

I could have sworn I remember someone basically saying that we should not be surprised if we hear more details about Benoit's death, implying something bad went down. It was really jarring amidst all the tearful goodbyes.

Xater

I could have sworn I remember someone basically saying that we should not be surprised if we hear more details about Benoit's death, implying something bad went down. It was really jarring amidst all the tearful goodbyes.

I think that was JBL.

Can someone quickly summarize the timeline of events that happened in the Benoit murder suicide?

Well, from what I saw, he no-showed the PPV on sunday... Then Monday evening (UK time) we got the news that he was dead and that there was murder involved. Obviously the details weren't too clear so WWE ran a tribute show with lots of talking head segments. Then sometime Tuesday the full details become public knowledge, and Vince went on ECW and apologised and said he wouldn't be mentioned again.

strobogo

Banned

6/22/07 (Friday), Nancy is murdered upstairs. The next day, Benoit called Chavo saying he misses his flight and would be late to the house show. Chavo was worried about Benoit's "tone and demeanor" and tried to call back later. Benoit didn't answer. Benoit called about 15 minutes later saying he was talking to the air line and that Nancy and Daniel had been sick with food poisoning. Another co-worker who was never named also spoke to Benoit, who said Nancy and Daniel were vomitting blood. Early in the morning of 6/24/07, multiple texts were sent from both Benoit's and Nancy's phones. 4 of them gave out his address, and 1 said that dogs were enclosed in the pool area and the garage door was unlocked. These texts were all to WWE wrestlers. He also called the office to let them know he wouldn't be at the house show and would take a later flight to the PPV.

Later that day, Daniel was killed, although time of death was unable to be determined. After that, Benoit hanged himself on a weight machine. On Monday, Scott Armstrong and Chavo informed WWE officials of the texts they received and police were called to the house. This was around 4PM EST. Tribute show went on well after the point where they knew something was up, and about half way through the show it started getting reported that it was looking like Benoit was the murderer, so they started talking more about Nancy and Daniel on the show.

In my mind, it seems pretty clear Chavo at the very least knew what was up, or that something bad had happened. I'm assuming that the 5 people texted and called between the murders all probably knew something was up. My guesses would be Chavo, Regal, Dean, Scott Armstrong, and someone else. Maybe Holly or JBL, as Holly and Benoit were pretty regular traveling partners. What's really shocking to me is that after 5 people in the company were sent suspicious texts/voice mails, and Benoit no showed two shows without anyone being able to get into contact with him, police weren't called until 4PM the next day. So either those wrestlers didn't voice their concerns to the office or local police, or the WWE office didn't find it strange that Benoit missed two shows and no one was able to get into contact with him.

Ithil

That was Regal. His comments really stand out, as he seems to have guessed something bad happened and wasn't hiding it.

strobogo

Banned
There was also the weird thing with Wiki being updated like 15 hours before details were released that Benoit missed the show due to Nancy's death. And the IP address was from Stamford. Turns out it was just a weird dude who had lucky guess and also put weird stuff on Stacy Keibler's and Ron Artest's pages.

That whole period was bizarre as fuck.

Top Bottom