• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Infinite

Right, So no more Ogre you Asshole for me. Yeah, regarding Cinema Staff, those tracks are not doing anything for me. I simply can't get into the vocals, I'll try to listen one of their albums one of these days so I could get used to them, but those PVs aren't doing anything for me.

http://i.imgur.com/hlXTNl.jpg

Anyway, If anyone of you lives in London, there will be two gigs featuring 3 Japanese Indie bands tomorro and after tomorrow. The first is Bo Ningen. Imagine 60s Rock 'n Roll with added Psychedalia and Noise with a zist of Drone mixed in and you got Bo ingen. They do look like Hippies and their music reflects how different they are. I went to their gig last Year when they came down to London and they are amazing. Hard hitting drums, oscillating guitars, Sabbath-esque riffing and quite dance-able noise music alla around. They will be playing at Hoxton Bar & Kitchen in Old Street and the tickets are around 8 quids.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KqbvNl.jpg

The other two will be supporting eachother. The first one is Manflu. The band is not Japanese but a mulitnational one where the vocalist is Japanese. Their music harkens back to the late 80's Post-pink/No-wave where funk and atmoshpere was above all with some noise added to the mix. They are not a big band at all and only released an EP which is selftitled, but anyhting that plays an experental Post-punk is OK in my book

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/6iS77l.jpg

The third band is called Deathride and is formed of Ex-Electric Shock dou Jennie and Kaotue. Again, only one of them is Japanese. Their music is cross of Garage and Noise with some electronica introduced.[/QUOTE]

Those bands sound pretty awesome especially Deathride. They have material available for listening?

faridmon

Those bands sound pretty awesome especially Deathride. They have material available for listening?

Well, Bo Ningen is quite big among the indie community in Japan (and in London as well, since they are based in London) so their material is quite easily available. I am going to buy their new album tonight over there so, yeah.

The other two are part of the City showcase group whom are responsible for promoting new artists around London; therefore you can gather that they are quite young and new bands. They are going to promote their debut EPs around the venue so I am going to see if I can buy it, but yeah, they are not signed with any label.

If you like Deathride, then I would really recommend Electric Shocks whom both Kaoru Sato and Lauren Hughes of Deathride were band members. They were Punk/ Garage group who were aggressive and uplifting at the same time. Yeah, it’s not the same style, but you should check them out. They have released an Album and a short EP before breaking up. They are quite rare, right now, but if you can find them, they are amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPha2UpLXk0

faridmon

Well, i am sorry (for my self mostly) but When I went to the Venue last night, Bo Ningen's gig was sold out so I didn't attend which was a bummer and I am kicking myself for not buying the tickets online. Hoxton Bar & Kitchen is not a small venue so I am really surprised it was sold out so quickly.

In another news: :(

I am going to try to go to Deathlin/Manflue gig tonight, but I sepnt way too much last night. I was so upset that I was bouncing around different pubs and spent shit load of money.

mA8Hvl.jpg

Anyways, The new band of the day is called How to Count One to Ten. They are Instrumentalist Post-Rock band that have similiar landscape sound of A Winged Victory for the Sullen with some added alternative timings and complex rhythms which intertwines melodically which creates this sense of collision between ambient and texture and melody, coalescing into a fresh pop sound.
They have released two EPs this year, which are called, ''1st EP'' and ''Blue Building Block'' which you can buy them from Bandcamp for less than £15 (or around 23 dollars if you are from the states) or if you are like me and don't like the digital route, you can order their two EPs from white Noise Record webside and they are selling it for around £10each, plus shipping fee. I am considering buying it from there, I am just scared about their shipping fee, but from what I have heard, Its kind of worth it.

You can listen to thier tracks on their website.

http://howtocount1to10.com/soundcloud.html

Oh and the new Ogre you Asshole PV is out and its called ''Suteki Na Yokan”. I.... like it. Its very psychedlic with a bit of industrial flair mixed into it. and, dare I say, the vocals and the somposition feels like the old Ogre You Asshole? More PVs like this and I might get this album. Maybe...
Suteki Na Yokan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sE56WKWoQDA#!

Kurita

They remind me of rega, that's pretty good.
I might buy their songs on bandcamp.

Anyways, I recently fell in love with two bands.
Turntable Films
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwwSuINSkp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIexyBnHoYs&feature=relmfu

And the another band, some of you guys might know them, is Fujifabric.
And I happen to like them pre and post-2009, the year the vocalist died. Their new stuff is actually pretty solid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtoKKUMUj2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRHBjWZRd_0&feature=related

faridmon

They remind me of rega, that's pretty good.
I might buy their songs on bandcamp.

Anyways, I recently fell in love with two bands.
Turntable Films
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwwSuINSkp4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIexyBnHoYs&feature=relmfu

And the another band, some of you guys might know them, is Fujifabric.
And I happen to like them pre and post-2009, the year the vocalist died. Their new stuff is actually pretty solid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtoKKUMUj2Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRHBjWZRd_0&feature=related

Actually, that is an apt comparrison. Rega had this clean, exact plays in their guitar as well. Too bad I am really not into Post-Rock/Ambient/ others who comparable (well off coarse there is exceptions like Spangle Call Lilli Line and A Winged Victory for the Sullen Amongst others)
Yeah, I did come across Turntable Films sometime ago, but I kind of forgotten about them. They did sound great, remind me of the Life in Films (London based band who I am addicted to atm) a bit.

also RIP Masahiko :(

I'll go and listen to Fab Fox now.

T.O.P

Banned
I kinda "dislike" pop lately, but this is probably the best that can come out from Japanese girls group (they're taiwanese obviusly, too pretty to be japs)

Weather Girls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jd2-Nf86jvA#!

tumblr_mboudlc94m1rafiquo1_500.gif

they're really really cute and the song is pretty catchy :3

@few days without reading this thread and i'm already miles away behing lol gotta go fast and start listening to those

and here we go, bought, i'll give it a listen later

faridmon

Damn you guys, I really want to buy it, but it seems that I have spent way too much this week and I won't afford. 15 quid is really tempting, but... Hopefully, this upcoming month. I don't like Post-Rock/Ambient music that much, but I feel I need t support these people.

Also, I did go Manflu Gig, and they were awesome. The Japanese member of that band was the keyboard player and she was really cute. I wanted to talk to her about the music (certainly not chat her up for a date) but she was gone when I intended to have conversation with her. Instead I did talk to the Vocalist and she was great. They are going to have another go on the 27th, so hopefully I get the chance to chat with the rest of them. They did mention that they are going to release and Album and I hope they meant that its going to be there when they play.

Anyways, I feel to have another (new) Japanese band introduced here so here we go:

CtiOBl.jpg

Who the Bitch
The next band (which is a good example of an awful Engrish band naming convention) is an indie Punk band, but don't let that scare you of because, its not like the usual shitty DYI music that many Japanese band seem to do these days (as well as many in different part of the world). Their music takes us back to when Punk seemed to mean something. Sex Pistols, The Ramones, The Clash have given them a direct influence and other bands that seemed to have a music with order with rebel attitude which have some oomph in terms of attitude and lyrics. They are more interesting once you feel that they have this Garage undertones, especially since they do pitch their PVs and official songs as a symbol for ''aggressiveness'' and sexual rebel.

I have their first two Mini Albums,''Whoe the Bitch'' and ''Miracle Fight de GO! GO! GO!'' (which is not vaailable for some reason) and while the Punk emphasised music is god on their, The Garage focused ones are absolutely great. Both of do have around 2 songs of that type. They do mix a little bit of New-Wve with some psychedelic bass play which relays adds something to their songs. The name might put off, but the music is worth the embarrassment of having that name stick out in your MP3 player!

You can view many of their songs here in their website and here in their myspace. They do have a blog which they write stupid stuff, mostly

Some Youtube Videos:

Super Star - Cherry - Charisma Hero - VECTOR -ITSU NO HI KA TADORI TSUKERU KONO ASHI DE-

Peru

Seeing Perfume live next month. They may not sing that much live, but they pull off the best party this side of Daft Punk if live dvds are anything to go by. Pure joy.

Zekes!

Man, I JUST found out Zazen Boys finally dropped a new album, Stories. I've been waiting 4 years for this. I gave it a single listen so far and I'm totally digging it. I was surprised at first how much it sounded like their first two albums, with a bit of ZB3, a sprinkle of ZB4, and even a tiny bit of Number Girl. I went in expecting a totally different sound considering ZB4, but I'm quite pleased with how this album turned out. I'll no doubt re-listen to it a bunch over the week, so we'll see how my opinion changes/solidifies.

Also I'm extremely depressed that I apparently missed Zazen Boys performing here in Vancouver. I would've given my left nut to have seen that show.

Right now I'm going to give LAMA's album, New!, a listen. I'm a huge Supercar fan, and I'm still waiting for something by Miki Furukawa and Kouji Nakamura to come even close to their Supercar work. Plus Hisako Tabuchi of Number Girl/toddle is in the band? I seriously hope I'm not let down here.

I haven't been in to the Japanese music scene in years, but because of these two albums, I figured I'd drop in a post.

Infinite

Man, I JUST found out Zazen Boys finally dropped a new album, Stories. I've been waiting 4 years for this. I gave it a single listen so far and I'm totally digging it. I was surprised at first how much it sounded like their first two albums, with a bit of ZB3, a sprinkle of ZB4, and even a tiny bit of Number Girl. I went in expecting a totally different sound considering ZB4, but I'm quite pleased with how this album turned out. I'll no doubt re-listen to it a bunch over the week, so we'll see how my opinion changes/solidifies.

Also I'm extremely depressed that I apparently missed Zazen Boys performing here in Vancouver. I would've given my left nut to have seen that show.

Right now I'm going to give LAMA's album, New!, a listen. I'm a huge Supercar fan, and I'm still waiting for something by Miki Furukawa and Kouji Nakamura to come even close to their Supercar work. Plus Hisako Tabuchi of Number Girl/toddle is in the band? I seriously hope I'm not let down here.

I haven't been in to the Japanese music scene in years, but because of these two albums, I figured I'd drop in a post.

Welcome back ;)

I went form disliking Lama's New! to actually enjoying. Yes, Hisako is in Lama. Initially I kinda expect supercar meets number girl but it really struck me as Miki's solo stuff. It grew on me eventually though.

Zekes!

Welcome back ;)

I went form disliking Lama's New! to actually enjoying. Yes, Hisako is in Lama. Initially I kinda expect supercar meets number girl but it really struck me as Miki's solo stuff. It grew on me eventually though.

I'm gonna have to give it another listen, but I found it enjoyable the first time, though I wasn't really listening to it intently. Some of it definitely sounds like Miki's solo stuff (which itself was like an even more poppy Supercar), but other tracks have a definite Futurama/Highvision/Answer vibe.

I think I liked this enough to be excited about their next release. I'm re-listening to their original single Spell (and B-Side One Day) and I like them a lot more than I remember.

This is kind of a pleasant surprise after how much Kouji's work as iLL sucked. I always assumed he'd have some great solo stuff while Miki would be 'eh', but in the end I liked her solo work a hell of a lot better. I'm glad they're back together, though.

Infinite

Yeah I consider the B-side on spell to be their best song to date.

I have to agree Lama and Miki's solo stuff were a lot better than iLL. I'm glad their back too

faridmon

date_20120904115737_640x520_504566539973.jpg

I am not gonna do the introduction, but The Mirraz dropped another Single. Its called ''Bokura Ha / Kimochi Warii'' which is a maxi single. Remember when The mirraz never used to releaes singles and would drop albums faster than any other bands? *sigh* those were the days. anyways, they have released the PV for both songs and here are they: Bokura Ha - Kimochi Warii
They are still one of my favourite bands ever, even if I found their latests album ''Iitaikoto wa Nakunatta'' very shallow and dissapointing.

Dead

well not really...yet
I'm gonna have to give it another listen, but I found it enjoyable the first time, though I wasn't really listening to it intently. Some of it definitely sounds like Miki's solo stuff (which itself was like an even more poppy Supercar), but other tracks have a definite Futurama/Highvision/Answer vibe.

I think I liked this enough to be excited about their next release. I'm re-listening to their original single Spell (and B-Side One Day) and I like them a lot more than I remember.

This is kind of a pleasant surprise after how much Kouji's work as iLL sucked. I always assumed he'd have some great solo stuff while Miki would be 'eh', but in the end I liked her solo work a hell of a lot better. I'm glad they're back together, though.
I thought Force was a pretty great album

Wasn't he doing guitar and programming on some of her solo stuff though?

faridmon

It's just Straightener, not The Straighteners :p
(Sorry for being an ass but I love this band so much haha)

Listening to HaKU's latest album (making their major debut) at the moment.
They are pretty good. They remind me of Rin Toshite Shigure. If high-pitched voices are not your nemesis you might like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9SfFGcISY4

I am digging the Video. I may look into it. Never been into Rin Toshite Shigure, but I feel to giv this band a shot.

faridmon

I thought Art-School Disbanded long time ago since each and everyone of those band members have like trillion sideprojects.

Kurita

I thought Art-School Disbanded long time ago since each and everyone of those band members have like trillion sideprojects.

Well, the lead singer does have a sideproject, killing Boy (already talked about them).
It's just that the lineup changed a lot over the years.

faridmon

Well, the lead singer does have a sideproject, killing Boy (already talked about them).
It's just that the lineup changed a lot over the years.

Well, Yuichi Sakurai, amongst other, has other project and did indeed leave the band.

Looking at the current line up, it seems that Riki and Masa are still there and are the only permanent ones there. Riki have, as you said, Killing Boy , and Masa formed Tatoi. They might as well kill the band because the band is like a part time job at the moment.

Kurita

That might be a little bit excessive :p
You know, Straightener's bassist, Hidekazu Hinata, is in 4 bands (well, Fullarmor isn't very active but still).
The vocalist is in 2 bands + has his solo side project. The drummer and the guitarist are in another band too.

Being in different bands doesn't seem to bother them, so I don't think ART-SCHOOL should stop their activities.

faridmon

That might be a little bit excessive :p
You know, Straightener's bassist, Hidekazu Hinata, is in 4 bands (well, Fullarmor isn't very active but still).
The vocalist is in 2 bands + has his solo side project. The drummer and the guitarist are in another band too.

Being in different bands doesn't seem to bother them, so I don't think ART-SCHOOL should stop their activities.

They appear to be less and less focused on Art-School now more than ever. i haven't listened to their music in a long time since it became weaker and weaker and with the internal problem they had over the years, I assumed they just ceased making music under that name.
Inherently, there is nothing wrong with having side project. However, if your focus is there, there is no point in continuing, especially since you are just pissing off your fans in the process. Oblivion Dust had problems releasing ''9 Gates of Bipolar'' just because of the bloody side project the other two (beside Ken Lloyd) and guess what? It was weak because of that very reason.

Hey guys, just thought I'd drop in and say hello! Kurita pointed me in this direction from Random things you'dlike to Recommend.
I'll be lurking somewhere in the background, and will probably post from time to time. (Admittedly I probably won't have any music to share, as that's the reason I've came over here :p )

Kurita

Welcome :)
If you need infos, want to listen to new bands... or whatever, just ask, it'll be my pleasure to help you.

Welcome :)
If you need infos, want to listen to new bands... or whatever, just ask, it'll be my pleasure to help you.

Thanks :) I'm mainly looking to expand my musical tastes! I've listened to a little JMusic before, though to be honest most of my exposure was to The Pillows, and a little music from Anime. I'm gonna try to learn the language in what little free time I have, and figured I might as well listen to some good music in said language too.
So honestly, just throw band names at me, anything and everything is fine :D

Kurita

Take a look at the previous pages, lots of good bands have been posted already.
Some great other bands we didn't mention would be Bump Of Chicken, Beat Crusaders, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Radwimps...

Take a look at the previous pages, lots of good bands have been posted already.
Some great other bands we didn't mention would be Bump Of Chicken, Beat Crusaders, Asian Kung-Fu Generation, Radwimps...

Thanks :) I'll take the time to go backwards through the thread and listen to as much as I can.

faridmon

Thanks :) I'm mainly looking to expand my musical tastes! I've listened to a little JMusic before, though to be honest most of my exposure was to The Pillows, and a little music from Anime. I'm gonna try to learn the language in what little free time I have, and figured I might as well listen to some good music in said language too.
So honestly, just throw band names at me, anything and everything is fine :D

Start with Lillies and Remains and never look back. Everything else is secondary :p

Lillies+and+Remains+lar3.png

Picture Taken before the drummer left.

Morralist SS - The Fake - Devaloka - You Are Blind - Grind - Wreckage - Broken Reciever

Also, welcome.

faridmon

Holy shit, I met the drummer for the band White White Sisters last night. He was touring with another band, and I was hanging out with them since a friedn of mine was orginising the tour. We started talking about indie Jpanese, and he said he was teh drummer for the band.

Bloody hell, now I have to buy their albums.

I'm gonna share some music I've found through googling. Some JPOP and R&B
家入レオ(Ieiri Leo):
Shine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9ZT2jexrZ0
Bless You: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgQB4vZBt2c&feature=related
I'm liking her voice.

Superfly and JuJu have already been posted. They're pretty good. I'm loving Juju's ただいま:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z_l3gwuE70

Ai:
Story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCKCRv1d_-s
Probably well known for this song.

Shota Shimizu:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QshWersVw68
I love his rendition of Hy's 366日. It's too bad I can't find the full version on youtube.

Kiroro:
未来へ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ID9fntLaWo

Sakanaction and Kaela Kimura are really good though. Kimura's 8Eight8 album has a hand full of songs I really like, the same with Sakanaction.

I forgot to post my 2nd favorite Gackt song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POiBxOhQL84 - Oblivious

I got Oblivious and Shine and I'm addicted to these two songs. If you guys have any more recommendations, please tell me. You guys have amazing taste. :D

Gala

mA8Hvl.jpg

Anyways, The new band of the day is called How to Count One to Ten. They are Instrumentalist Post-Rock band that have similiar landscape sound of A Winged Victory for the Sullen with some added alternative timings and complex rhythms which intertwines melodically which creates this sense of collision between ambient and texture and melody, coalescing into a fresh pop sound.
They have released two EPs this year, which are called, ''1st EP'' and ''Blue Building Block'' which you can buy them from Bandcamp for less than £15 (or around 23 dollars if you are from the states) or if you are like me and don't like the digital route, you can order their two EPs from white Noise Record webside and they are selling it for around £10each, plus shipping fee. I am considering buying it from there, I am just scared about their shipping fee, but from what I have heard, Its kind of worth it.

You can listen to thier tracks on their website.

http://howtocount1to10.com/soundcloud.html

Reminds me a lot of Lite and that is definitely a good thing :)

I'm going to see Mono live next month in Hamburg, Germany. I'm so excited for this! After I couldn't see Toe in Berlin, I'm so glad I got free from work this time.

Also got the Thursday/Envy Split EP on a small festival for 5 euro on Vinyl two weeks ago.

Top Bottom