• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

StayDead

Aaah noo what's happened.

My normal 3DS is trying to send it's eshop data I think for part 6 but the new 3ds is saying that local communications have been lost and it's errord.

Are there any videos of the Ambassador GBA games running on the New 3DS out there?
Didn't see any and I'm too lazy to make one so I hope this is something you can work with:
imagem0px8.jpg

Any impressions of the NEW 3DS's browser? I saw that it scored higher than every other dedicated gaming machine other than the nVidia Shield in th HTML5 test but that isn't really indicative of performance so I wonder how well it does in actual use.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got confirmation from Nippon-Yasan last night for a Thursday morning delivery here in the U.S.

So I got this email from NCSX:

Dear NCS Customer,

Due to a weekend shipment delay, please note that our New Nintendo 3DS shipments have been rescheduled by the courier to October 14-15, 2014. Our suppliers were only able to take delivery of the units on Saturday (October 11) which was the official release date and shipped the packages out but it appears the flight did not actually depart from Tokyo until last night.

Apologies for this delay but we will process and ship all preorders once the packages arrive. Thanks for your attention.

Kind Regards,
NCSX.COM

Sucks but I am not mad about it. I'm just glad they actually said something.

Gameboy415

Got confirmation from Nippon-Yasan last night for a Thursday morning delivery here in the U.S.

Ditto!
My Black N3DS, Silver Mario-themed Faceplate, and charger are on their way.
Can't wait! :D

On a related note, has anyone found any online retailers selling screen protectors for the New 3DS models?
I assume they're out in stores in Japan but I haven't seen them anywhere online yet.

Ditto!
My Black N3DS, Silver Mario-themed Faceplate, and charger are on their way.
Can't wait! :D

On a related note, has anyone found any online retailers selling screen protectors for the New 3DS models?
I assume they're out in stores in Japan but I haven't seen them anywhere online yet.

PlayAsia seems to have a small variety available on their site.

Rich!

damn, the regular N3DS looks amazing. those faceplates are great.

But alas, I just can't go back to a small display after the XL.

damn, the regular N3DS looks amazing. those faceplates are great.

But alas, I just can't go back to a small display after the XL.
I was in the same boat and I still need some time to get used to the smaller sized device again, but so far I'm loving my white regular N3DS. I guess it comes all down to the size of your hands.

Rich!

I was in the same boat and I still need some time to get used to the smaller sized device again, but so far I'm loving my white regular N3DS. I guess it comes all down to the size of your hands.

Yeah, I always found the OG 3DS to be uncomfortable, especially with games such as Mario Kart. Never had any kind of hand cramping issues with the XL.

Ah well. Hurry up 21st November! I'm really curious to see just how improved the 3D is...got a few titles I am saving until then to try out in all their new shiny 3DS glory

Yeah, I always found the OG 3DS to be uncomfortable, especially with games such as Mario Kart. Never had any kind of hand cramping issues with the XL.

Ah well. Hurry up 21st November! I'm really curious to see just how improved the 3D is...got a few titles I am saving until then to try out in all their new shiny 3DS glory
Then you should go with the bigger model. The OG 3DS and the regular N3DS aren't that much different in terms of size.
I don't know how many games will support it, but Monster Hunter i. e. recognizes the ZL and ZR button simply as L and R button, so you don't need to keep your fingers on L and R, which makes it pretty comfortable to play with the C stick.

Rich!

Then you should go with the bigger model. The OG 3DS and the regular N3DS aren't that much different in terms of size.
I don't know how many games will support it, but Monster Hunter i. e. recognizes the ZL and ZR button simply as L and R button, so you don't need to keep your fingers on L and R, which makes it pretty comfortable to play with the C stick.

yeah, I've already preordered a PAL XL unit. just gotta wait a month now!

kubus

Still nothing from Nippon-Yasan :(. Am I the only one who opted for EMS Express shipping? Everyone seems to have went with FedEx.

Turns out my package will end up at the FedEx facility tomorrow after all..... Oh well, at least I have housework and the midnight launch of Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus to keep me distracted through today

Mr Swine

Banned
Has anyone tried N3DS with Monhun 4 and Smash? Does the games load faster, have better/stable FPS compared to the old 3DS?

Has anyone tried N3DS with Monhun 4 and Smash? Does the games load faster, have better/stable FPS compared to the old 3DS?

MH4/G and Smash both load quicker and they don't cause a system reset when you close the software after entering suspend mode. I haven't heard anybody say anything about FPS stability, though.

Soodanim

I have an import question. It's about getting a US New 3DS and using it in the UK, but I guess it's the same as getting one from Japan aside from the language difference.

Outside of the physical game region lock, are there any negatives of importing a console? A friend of mine wants to import the NES looking New 3DS for her son, and she doesn't mind going all digital for him but she wants my help with it. I wanted to see if there was anything you could shed some light on. Of course the obvious is faulty hardware will be an absolute pain to deal with if at all possible, but is there anything else? Any advice on where to buy from?

yankee666

Still nothing from Nippon-Yasan :(. Am I the only one who opted for EMS Express shipping? Everyone seems to have went with FedEx.

I used both EMS (for withe n3DS an MH4G) and FedEx (for n3DS Metallic blue), both orders shipped but the FedEx one is only a notification of shippment and it shows arrival on the 22nd :(.
Btw both preorders where made on september 5th, maybe yours where made later?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So how does one go about transferring around 40gb of digital content/games to a n3DS? I have a 64gb card and have been digital only for over two years now. Just curious what solution Nintendo has come up with outside of buying a second 64gb card to copy over...

Beckx

So how does one go about transferring around 40gb of digital content/games to a n3DS? I have a 64gb card and have been digital only for over two years now. Just curious what solution Nintendo has come up with outside of buying a second 64gb card to copy over...

Unless you're using a micro-SD card in an adapter now, you'll need a new card anyway. If you are, you can elect to just move your licenses over to the N3DS, then pop the micro-SD card out of the adapter and into the new console.

I have an import question. It's about getting a US New 3DS and using it in the UK, but I guess it's the same as getting one from Japan aside from the language difference.

Outside of the physical game region lock, are there any negatives of importing a console? A friend of mine wants to import the NES looking New 3DS for her son, and she doesn't mind going all digital for him but she wants my help with it. I wanted to see if there was anything you could shed some light on. Of course the obvious is faulty hardware will be an absolute pain to deal with if at all possible, but is there anything else? Any advice on where to buy from?

Isn't the NES 3DS just an XL and not a New 3DS?

If you have an English 3DS the system settings manual sheds light on this but a quick summary is as follows, you have 3 options.
-Transfer everything wirelessly (takes ages)
-Transfer some data wireless (non-download software so I guess only savegames for those)
-Do it yourself using a PC (insert SD card from old system copy folder, copy copied folder to micro SD card)

DarkWish

It has arrived! I had ordered from Play-Asia, although my faceplates are from Nippon-Yasan and those should arrive Thursday. I also did an unboxing...

White "New Nintendo 3DS" Unboxing Video

Time to set this thing up and play around with it. I'll be more videos soon as well, like a speed comparison, changing faceplates, testing out Super Smash Bros, and more. Sucks that it came right during exam time for me though, so I'm trying to manage my time accordingly.

kubus

I used both EMS (for withe n3DS an MH4G) and FedEx (for n3DS Metallic blue), both orders shipped but the FedEx one is only a notification of shippment and it shows arrival on the 22nd :(.
Btw both preorders where made on september 5th, maybe yours where made later?
My pre-order was also made on September 5th :/. I ordered the White New 3DS, a charging cradle and two faceplates. Maybe one of the other items isn't ready to ship yet or something... Wish they'd tell me.

Weird that your fedex order shows such a late estimated arrival date o_O. Isn't that supposed to take three days max? I would seriously complain if it's really going to take that long. Fedex shipping is not cheap :/.

Arghh this situation is so frustrating! I really hope I'll receive my shipment notification tonight or tomorrow. I knew that they usually take 3-4 working days to ship out orders, but it's still pretty annoying having to wait while other people already got their shipping notice.

Miker

How's the new 3DS (or new XL) screen compared to that of the DSi XL? That's the benchmark for Nintendo handheld screens, imo.

Mr Swine

Banned
MH4/G and Smash both load quicker and they don't cause a system reset when you close the software after entering suspend mode. I haven't heard anybody say anything about FPS stability, though.

The game certainly loads faster. Smash always runs at 60FPS so there's no change there.

Oh that is fantastic news! :ad but Smash does drop the frame rate just for a half second when there is to much happening on the screen (at least what I can see)

Beckx

My pre-order was also made on September 5th :/. I ordered the White New 3DS, a charging cradle and two faceplates. Maybe one of the other items isn't ready to ship yet or something... Wish they'd tell me.

Weird that your fedex order shows such a late estimated arrival date o_O. Isn't that supposed to take three days max? I would seriously complain if it's really going to take that long. Fedex shipping is not cheap :/.

Arghh this situation is so frustrating! I really hope I'll receive my shipment notification tonight or tomorrow. I knew that they usually take 3-4 working days to ship out orders, but it's still pretty annoying having to wait while other people already got their shipping notice.

Is it possible your credit card company flagged it for fraud protection? I've had my card company do that and not call me in a timely fashion about it, either.

mrback

Hi to all
Ive managed to set a nnid on my Japanese 3ds but I've been sent a temporary password which lasts 24 hours. Any ideas what I do with it anyone???

yankee666

Maybe it shows that day because the package isnt at the facility yet, and is only an estimate. Dunno, when the item is in transit maybe ill have a better picture of the situation.

Yes is a shame, and is very frustrating not knowing what going on with your order. It happen to me some times even with customs. Thats why now im all digital

System transfer done, I really should trust those Pikmin more... but they did the job, as always :)

I copied all my SD card data to the PC, then back to a freshly formatted 32GB MicroSD card. Booted up a few games and everything was in order, just a couple of updates for Youkai Watch 2 (digital and card), but then I might not have updated on my previous 3DS. Smash (digital) was bang up to date.

Photos to follow shortly!

any new (new-)3ds owners here who want a free version of Daigasso Bandbrothers P?

I still got a few codes left, just pm me and I'll hook you up

Big thanks for this, what a nice treat on day one for my New3DS! (^^)/"

Top Bottom