• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Nintendo 3DS Import Thread | Brand New 3D, Same Old Region Lock

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Still no shipping confirmation for standard white new 3DS from Nippon-Yassasn.

Chose FedEx, and ordered when they went live a while back. I'm in the USA.

It's 3pm CST on Monday.

:-(

New 3DS time! Size/weight is really comfortable, 3D headtracking works a treat, general operating speed is like butter. Haven't put the C-stick put its paces yet, but will try with Smash soon. Download speed is killer - had to download a couple of title updates, and the difference was like dial-up to broadband between Old and New 3DS (bear in mind that I'm downloading from the UK too)

Insta-love it, as I'm sure many will when it (eventually) makes it outside Japan.

ifwnbBrXWchHz.JPG

ibkqLKYRPuLrMr.JPG

iFpXV9CsTBekD.JPG

iVsZVmFpnzJww.JPG

irIL53hSEJHGz.JPG

iNie9uXSy7MsF.JPG

i7E3O7oJ16c0H.JPG

Rich!

I'm going to order a charging stand from Play Asia, as it's only a tenner for the XL one.

just a quick question - would I be able to plug my UK 3DS charger into it? Or is the cable integrated? If it's like the OG dock and like the Wii U gamepad dock then that's awesome

OmegaFax

New 3DS time! Size/weight is really comfortable, 3D headtracking works a treat, general operating speed is like butter. Haven't put the C-stick put its paces yet, but will try with Smash soon. Download speed is killer - had to download a couple of title updates, and the difference was like dial-up to broadband between Old and New 3DS (bear in mind that I'm downloading from the UK too)

Insta-love it, as I'm sure many will when it (eventually) makes it outside Japan.

Looks awesome! Year of Isabelle Edition.

From what I read (it's a disclaimer in Japanese when the system goes through initial setup), the head tracking doesn't work on games that utilize the 3DS camera. I'm assuming this means the face tracking feature in Pokemon-Aime (Can't remember if that section of Pokemon X/Y was in 3D or not) ... Face Raiders, Dempa Men, AR Games, will still work like the old 3DS. Most stuff shouldn't be affected.

I'm going to order a charging stand from Play Asia, as it's only a tenner for the XL one.

just a quick question - would I be able to plug my UK 3DS charger into it? Or is the cable integrated? If it's like the OG dock and like the Wii U gamepad dock then that's awesome

No integrated cable, Just plug your UK charger into it (it has a port underneath, just the same as a 3DS)

Looks awesome! Year of Isabelle Edition.

From what I read (it's a disclaimer in Japanese when the system goes through initial setup), the head tracking doesn't work on games that utilize the 3DS camera. I'm assuming this means the face tracking feature in Pokemon-Aime (Can't remember if that section of Pokemon X/Y was in 3D or not) ... Face Raiders, Dempa Men, AR Games, will still work like the old 3DS. Most stuff shouldn't be affected.

That's right. I booted up Youkai Watch 2 and Out Run, after the initial 'whoah, this tracking actually works!' it becomes perfectly natural (ie not a jarring effect), which is exactly how it should be. Nintendo nailed it.

Oregano

It's so beautiful.... I am seriously considering buying an Australian one next month now(UK) but I am torn between XL or regular.

It's so beautiful.... I am seriously considering buying an Australian one next month now(UK) but I am torn between XL or regular.

I predominantly use XL/LL, and it surprised me how little difference I've noticed using the New (non-LL) 3DS. It's nowhere near as petite as the original 3DS, which is practically Gameboy Micro territory in the 3DS family now.

Rich!

yeah, it's too late for me to cancel my XL order. Either way, fuck it. it was only a tenner difference or so between the two, so I'm cool with it. I want to experience the new 3D as best as possible, and the XL seems the way to go imo

Owari

Black N3DS + accessories here. Nippon Yasan. Still no delivery email. I live in the USA. I'm surprised they got as many out as they did with the weather they're having. It's all good. I can wait. :)

It looks like people are having an awesome time with their new 3DS! Has any confirmed if the speakers are louder than previous systems?

mrback

Are there any guides for the Japan eshop? There looks like tons of stuff on there but finding stuff is hard. Like all the pc engine stuff or Sega 3d titles (only x 3) thought there were loads more. Crazy good.

Oregano

I predominantly use XL/LL, and it surprised me how little difference I've noticed using the New (non-LL) 3DS. It's nowhere near as petite as the original 3DS, which is practically Gameboy Micro territory in the 3DS family now.

That is really good to know. I like the bigger screen but the ergonomics was the main bonus for the XL for me. It seems the N3DS is much closer in design to the XL though. How big are your hands if you don't mind me asking?

Now that I think about it I might get an Aussie New 3DS and then wait and see how I feel when the UK release comes around and get an XL.

It looks like people are having an awesome time with their new 3DS! Has any confirmed if the speakers are louder than previous systems?

I think my New 3DS speakers are noticeably louder than the ones on my LL, which I always did think seemed a little quiet.

Are there any guides for the Japan eshop? There looks like tons of stuff on there but finding stuff is hard. Like all the pc engine stuff or Sega 3d titles (only x 3) thought there were loads more. Crazy good.

You can make life a little easier on yourself by using the web version of the Japanese eShop. Certainly helps when just browsing if you can't face tunnelling down through all the Japanese menus on the console itself.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know the highest capacity the New 3DS can hold for memory? Looking into buying a MicroSD card, 32GB is what I have on the 3DS now and it's been fine, but I see a 64GB card priced not much more than the 32GB.

OmegaFax

That's right. I booted up Youkai Watch 2 and Out Run, after the initial 'whoah, this tracking actually works!' it becomes perfectly natural (ie not a jarring effect), which is exactly how it should be. Nintendo nailed it.

That's great to hear! I'd import ... must ... might cave. The extent of my Japanese reading skills is relegated to the camera snapping feature in Google Translate.

Do the built-in games like AR games and Face Raiders work with tracking? Because, it mentions 3DS software but I'm wondering if the built-in stuff has been updated to work with the newer hardware or whether it's just a limitation for all games.

When you load Smash 3DS, does the game allow you to configure the extra shoulder buttons or even recognize them at all? Do the extra buttons do anything in other software they didn't before? Is there a left handed mode?

That is really good to know. I like the bigger screen but the ergonomics was the main bonus for the XL for me. It seems the N3DS is much closer in design to the XL though. How big are your hands if you don't mind me asking?

Now that I think about it I might get an Aussie New 3DS and then wait and see how I feel when the UK release comes around and get an XL.

Fairly large hands, long fingers. It's early days, granted - but it feels comfortable, more than I expected it would tbh.

Rich!

Does anyone know the highest capacity the New 3DS can hold for memory? Looking into buying a MicroSD card, 32GB is what I have on the 3DS now and it's been fine, but I see a 64GB card priced not much more than the 32GB.

only officially up to 32gb, but can handle up to 128gb if formatted to FAT32.

so yeah, the 64gb card will work fine as long as you format it to FAT32 in windows first

JCho133

Fairly large hands, long fingers. It's early days, granted - but it feels comfortable, more than I expected it would tbh.

How do you feel about the screen? The OG was like trying to look through a keyhole, but the new one seems far better. The best way to put it is it seems much taller

Edit: nevermind, saw your post above! Would still like to hear watch you think after some more playtime

Rich!

How do you feel about the screen? The OG was like trying to look through a keyhole, but the new one seems far better. The best way to put it is it seems much taller

I always felt the black surround on the OG 3DS did it no favours - made it seem far smaller than it was.

DarkWish

FYI the Resident Evil: Revelations demo on the Japanese eShop has Circle Pad Pro support... and that means you can use the C stick and ZL and ZR buttons on the New 3DS. So if you're looking to test something out on the New 3DS, that's something to try. While it's not ideal using the little nub thing as a second analog, it does the job.

Just purchased Super Smash Bros. from the eShop, so I'm looking forward to trying that out! My Circle Pad on my 3DS XL keeps sticking so this will be nice to have another system to play Smash Bros on.

Do the built-in games like AR games and Face Raiders work with tracking? Because, it mentions 3DS software but I'm wondering if the built-in stuff has been updated to work with the newer hardware or whether it's just a limitation for all games.

When you load Smash 3DS, does the game allow you to configure the extra shoulder buttons or even recognize them at all? Do the extra buttons do anything in other software they didn't before? Is there a left handed mode?
The head tracking works for everything that uses 3D. I tried Face Raiders and it was easy to move around the system and the 3D didn't break at all which was nice.

As for Smash Bros, I don't see an option to customize ZL and ZR. Looks like if you have ZL acts as R and ZR acts as L. So for example, if R is your shield, then ZR right next to it is grab. And then since L is grab, ZL is shield as well. No customization options for the C stick either that I can see, the game just recognizes the C stick as is.

That's great to hear! I'd import ... must ... might cave. The extent of my Japanese reading skills is relegated to the camera snapping feature in Google Translate.

Tracking works with AR games. Was just swinging Face Raiders round like a lunatic, consistent 3D at all angles. Best way to demonstrate it, probably!

Smash controls checked, this seems to have happened:

L: Shield
R: Grab
ZL: Grab
ZR: Shield

There is no way to map ZL and ZR directly. When I swap L and R inputs, ZL and ZR remain the same. Perhaps they'll change it in a forthcoming update?

Top screen is glorious. I've gone from original 3DS to XL, I know how bad things were to begin with! Pixels are tighter, nice and sharp if that's your thing... colours really punch, on both screens. It's the real deal alright.

JCho133

FYI the Resident Evil: Revelations demo on the Japanese eShop has Circle Pad Pro support... and that means you can use the C stick and ZL and ZR buttons on the New 3DS. So if you're looking to test something out on the New 3DS, that's something to try. While it's not ideal using the little nub thing as a second analog, it does the job.

Wait, you're saying that the nub works well with Revelations? Well sh*t!

Would like to have some other owners try it out and see their opinions. The CPP was never particularly accurate for that game either anyway

JCho133

Top screen is glorious. I've gone from original 3DS to XL, I know how bad things were to begin with! Pixels are tighter, nice and sharp if that's your thing... colours really punch, on both screens. It's the real deal alright.

That's awesome to hear. I've never owned an OG, but I've used one. I found it unplayable, but hot damn those screens were sharp!

Nintendo, you've finally really got it right.

I have an import question. It's about getting a US New 3DS and using it in the UK, but I guess it's the same as getting one from Japan aside from the language difference.

Outside of the physical game region lock, are there any negatives of importing a console? A friend of mine wants to import the NES looking New 3DS for her son, and she doesn't mind going all digital for him but she wants my help with it. I wanted to see if there was anything you could shed some light on. Of course the obvious is faulty hardware will be an absolute pain to deal with if at all possible, but is there anything else? Any advice on where to buy from?
Bit off-topic. Main negative is the US region in some ways (release windows can be better and worse, Layton vs. Phoenix Wright took months to come out there as an example of the latter). Set country to Canada so you can use international credit cards. Do check your bank fees though for foreign transaction. Problem is Canadian prices are a bit more than they used to be (currency no longer 1:1 with US).

The NES system is a Gamestop exclusive (and not a New 3DS) so there is no choice here. They ship to the UK using UPS for $16, they will declare full value so you will have pay VAT (20% so $40)+UPS handling fee (you can argue yourself out of the handling fee thanks to UK contract law, the tax is a legal obligation) which makes quite a lot more than $200.

DarkWish

New 3DS owners that want to test out the C stick in Resident Evil: Revelations, here is the QR code link to the game on the eShop, where you can find the demo there:
abrj.gif

Once you boot up the demo, in the controls area change the second option. You'll get a popup mentioning ZL/ZR which means you have the Circle Pad Pro controls selected, and it'll let you use the C Stick and ZL and ZR buttons on the New 3DS.

Wow! ThePeoplesBureau, those are some pretty pictures! Thanks for sharing!
I can't wait for it release in NA. I am still pleased with my current imported LL, but I rather upgrade my main 3DS XL to that white new 3DS.
I hope they release solid mint cover plates :)

ifwnbBrXWchHz.JPG

ibkqLKYRPuLrMr.JPG

iFpXV9CsTBekD.JPG

iVsZVmFpnzJww.JPG

irIL53hSEJHGz.JPG

iNie9uXSy7MsF.JPG

i7E3O7oJ16c0H.JPG

Thank you for sharing!

How is the hinge? Is it wobbly at all when open? When open, does moving the system about cause the hinge to shake/flop at all? Or us it completely stiff?

Not sure about him but my systems hinge is completely stiff. Way moreso than my OG 3DS.

Great to hear!

My Fire Emblem OG has a great hinge, while all the XL's I own (plus the OG early 3DS') have hinges that shift or give, when open.

You feel the hinge/lid shift with any soft movement of the system, which then interrupts 3D...

chadboban

New 3DS owners that want to test out the C stick in Resident Evil: Revelations, here is the QR code link to the game on the eShop, where you can find the demo there:
abrj.gif

Once you boot up the demo, in the controls area change the second option. You'll get a popup mentioning ZL/ZR which means you have the Circle Pad Pro controls selected, and it'll let you use the C Stick and ZL and ZR buttons on the New 3DS.

Wait a minute, I had absolutely no idea that the c stick works like a circle pad pro in games that support it. I thought that it was only for games made specifically for it. This is HUGE for me if true. I don't know about aiming a gun with the c stick but camera control should be fine for games that support it.

iNie9uXSy7MsF.JPG
This picture clearly shows the reason why the cradle was redesigned. Remember in the unveiling thread some guys were complaining about it. It is always interesting to see how design choices like this go over some people's head, as well as the attention to even the smallest detail that goes to designing these devices.

Now hold on a second mister... you are making some serious claims here. Are you telling me you can use gyro aiming withouth braking the 3D effect now? This is so good to be true that i find it hard to believe.
Please try it on Zelda and Star Fox cockpit view (do Mario Kart has motion controls also?)

Great impressions, thanks for sharing them with us XD

Edit: And why is it that the for the N3DS white looks BETTER BY A MILE? Even less reason to go with Black since you can Black Face Plate the lil bastard and it is almost the same thing.

Kyoufu

It's a vertical stand now, you can't even open the n3DS while in there.

Oh, right. So are there USB solutions to charging and playing at the same time or is the charger adapter the only way?

Basically I'm looking to play MH4G online with buddies without the battery dying on me mid-hunt!

Thank you for sharing!

How is the hinge? Is it wobbly at all when open? When open, does moving the system about cause the hinge to shake/flop at all? Or us it completely stiff?

Like StayDead said, very stiff. When you flick open to the first 'notch', boom - locks in. Doesn't feel flimsy whatsoever.

ramyeon

Oh, right. So are there USB solutions to charging and playing at the same time or is the charger adapter the only way?

Basically I'm looking to play MH4G online with buddies without the battery dying on me mid-hunt!
Take the plug out of the stand and plug it into your 3DS? Same way as before.

As for USB cables I'm sure there are 3rd party ones that charge via USB, but the official adaptor doesn't.

Santiako

You can still use the charger like always, without the stand.

Now hold on a second mister... you are making some serious claims here. Are you telling me you can use gyro aiming withouth braking the 3D effect now? This is so good to be true that i find it hard to believe.
Please try it on Zelda and Star Fox cockpit view (do Mario Kart has motion controls also?)

I'd be just as sceptical if I hadn't seen it for myself, but the legends are true - 3D effect is solid while gyro aiming.

Tried only for you with Zelda, Star Foy and Mario Kart. Controlling the Arwing via Gyro with 3D worked fine without breaking the 3D effect. Same goes for the aiming in Zelda using Gyro and 3D on - it works really good. Same for Mario Kart.
Like I said before, it may only be a problem with games like Beat'em Up's where the system tends to move a lot - at least in my case.

Hibiki Rush

Neo Member
For those with the New 3DS and an older model, is there a difference in color/warmth of the LCD screen compared with the older models? I noticed the 3DS screens were generally a little less warmer/vibrant which was visible when comparing the same game to a DS/DSi XL. Not sure if they have better screens or not. Of course there has always been the problem of the top and bottom screens being slightly different in color as well.

Kyoufu

Take the plug out of the stand and plug it into your 3DS? Same way as before.

As for USB cables I'm sure there are 3rd party ones that charge via USB, but the official adaptor doesn't.

You can still use the charger like always, without the stand.

To further elaborate, I'm asking if there is a solution that doesn't involve using a wall socket. Does a USB solution exist?

Top Bottom