• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier "Horizon Online Next for Guerilla, Horizon 3 'Ways off', Sony's Live Service Initiative was no joke"

tommib

Gold Member
Jesus fuck i really liked when i played zero down, but PlayStation and Hermen keeps jerking off to Aloy so much i cant stand this shit anymore. And dude I fucking hate Horison's music theme and this woman yapping.
Finally a kindred spirit. I think that menu theme with the pan pipe flutes, the new age female singer and the fonts absolutely kill the IP for me.

horizon-zero-dawn-main-menu.jpg

James Madison Flute GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Horizon has all the ingredients for potential success in the PVE GAS space:

- A super explorable world
- Gear and cosmetics
- Dungeons
- Great combat
- Crafting
- Currencies

Don't write this one off.
The big issue with this, is that this stuff exists in many games.

Who is going to play Horizon Online over Monster Hunter, or FF14, or the latest PC FOTM survival game? The IP is not as strong as Sony thinks it is and they keep hammering it like it is Zelda.

ByWatterson

The big issue with this, is that this stuff exists in many games.

Who is going to play Horizon Online over Monster Hunter, or FF14, or the latest PC FOTM survival game? The IP is not as strong as Sony thinks it is and they keep hammering it like it is Zelda.

Yeah I mean maybe it's a bust.

But it's the best-positioned of their strong IP to make a dent.

And you guys are WAY underestimating its popularity. Even if you take out bundles, those two games have sold millions and millions of copies and will sell millions more with the remaster, Lego, etc.

What he says is that Horizon Online is one of the few ones that hasn't been cancelled, so I would imagine a great many have been.

What astounds me is it should be zero at this juncture. Horizon GAAS is not going to obtain a foothold.

Fairgame$ is the next failure, if it hasn't already been shitcanned or is being being retooled in a panic after Concord.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah I mean maybe it's a bust.

But it's the best-positioned of their strong IP to make a dent.

And you guys are WAY underestimating its popularity. Even if you take out bundles, those two games have sold millions and millions of copies and will sell millions more with the remaster, Lego, etc.
I saw a post on here that Forbidden West sold ~half of what Zero Dawn sold. When a game sells 50% of what its predecessor did, that is not a good sign for a franchise. Forbidden West was on PS4 too. I know it's VR, too, but it's not like that game helped move the PSVR2.

I think both you and Sony vastly overstate the popularity of this franchise. The Lego game will be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Xtib81

It could actually work if they go the Monster hunter route but we'll have to wait and see, they could very well fuck this up lol

Last edited:

xHunter

They need to go F2P, the moment the call this a GaaS game, it will never reach a larger audience if its not free.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
And before I felt very sorry for Guerrilla because they gave their effort... So I supported them by buying their games and look... They came out being scavengers.

I will never buy a game from that company again in my life.

Zacfoldor

Let’s be honest here. Horizon isn’t that great. It can use any changes it can get.

However, I have my doubts any game from the studio will be good. They obviously don’t know why Horizon is bland, since they doubled down on it in horizon two. Their multiplayer game will probably be bland too which means it will fail.

Also, Aloy is a terrible character in Horizon 2.

Wukong, Ghosts, or Lies of P for example are much better games. I’d rather play Assassin's Creed than Horizon, and there it is. Horizon 1 was much better than 2, but it was still an 8/10 game max, and feels generic.

Plus, in the original part one the character is cute and in part two she is not. I’m completely done with horizon, and it would take a miracle to get me to play again ever.

I’m starting to think Sony’s IP isn’t very healthy.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Holy fucking shit at these designs...I know it's pre-Alpha but Holy Shit...

I'm fully expecting a wooden wheelchair handicapped hunter in this thing after seeing that Peg-leg big palooka.

"DIVERSITY"
Austin Powers Laser GIF
Errr, you do know that is highly likely to have been designed via a character creator?

Good Lord Sony has gone off the deep end……..obsessed with Horizon, The Last of Us and GAAS SHITE. Hope it all blows up in their faces along with their DEI obsession. Herman and Hitoki need to both fail and be replaced. What an utter joke they have made of the Playstation brand as of late.

JaksGhost

Good Lord Sony has gone off the deep end……..obsessed with Horizon, The Last of Us and GAAS SHITE. Hope it all blows up in their faces along with their DEI obsession. Herman and Hitoki need to both fail and be replaced. What an utter joke they have made of the Playstation brand as of late.
Oh Sony has gone off the deep end by making franchises just like they did before?! What was Guerilla doing before Horizon, making a shit ton of Killzone games. What was Naughty Dog doing before The Last Of Us, making a shit ton of Unchared games. First Jim Ryan needed to go but now since their new leadership is mirroring exactly what he was doing now they have to go to. I thought since Hitoki was Japanese he was going to be ya'll new savior? What happened?

FeralEcho

Errr, you do know that is highly likely to have been designed via a character creator?
And that takes away from what I said how exactly? Just because they are options for the player to choose from doesn't make it any less stupid thematically...

But I guess they want to be like Fortnite where nothing makes sense anyway.

nial

Yeah, I would like to see anything substantial from this game before having any strong reaction over it.
It could be another Helldivers 2 for all we know, I think people are needlessly maligning the core idea of GAAS due to the shitty publisher monetization practices that often come along with it, but if Helldivers 2 and Concord (despite its faults) are any clue, what is there to worry here?
I'm now mostly hoping for it to be an actual cool, interesting and fun game, something that Concord wasn't at least 2/3 of it.

Nydius

If it isn’t a straight knock off of Monster Hunter, I don’t want it. Simple as that. That’s the only multiplayer, live service, version of Horizon I could ever see being any good.

I was really hoping they were focusing (no pun intended) on getting Horizon 3 out by the end of this generation so they could wrap up the story and move the hell on.

midnightAI

And that takes away from what I said how exactly? Just because they are options for the player to choose from doesn't make it any less stupid thematically...

But I guess they want to be like Fortnite where nothing makes sense anyway.
Because it's test footage, it's not a trailer, leaked test footage at that. It highly likely they just wanted to put loads of options on one character as a test. It's pointless reading anything into leaked test pre-alpha footage.

I'm not so keen on Sony's GaaS releases, but as long as GaaS can fund fun, interesting SP games then knock yourself out Sony

At the same time, I'm interested to see what they have planned for Horizon MP

FeralEcho

Because it's test footage, it's not a trailer, leaked test footage at that. It highly likely they just wanted to put loads of options on one character as a test. It's pointless reading anything into leaked test pre-alpha footage.
I know,I literally said its pre alpha, it was just a genuine reaction as I hadn't seen that video before.

Nydius

I saw a post on here that Forbidden West sold ~half of what Zero Dawn sold. When a game sells 50% of what its predecessor did,

You’re probably referring to one of my posts but you conveniently omit that I directly refuted your above point by pointing out that Horizon ZD’s sales numbers are based on 7 years across PS and PC, while Horizon FW’s sales numbers are based on 2 years of console sales only, prior to PC release.

In a like-for-like console sales comparison over a two year span, ZD sold 10m (2017-2019) and FW sold 9m (2022-2024). So no, they haven’t dropped “50% sales”.

Horizon has a lot of potential to be a strong western Monster Hunter competitor.
The potential around hunting the robot dinosaurs in co-op is huge in terms of possible fun, possibly even higher than another single player RPG with the same formula of the previous two games.
It's all about the execution.
I'm willing to bet they are intentionally "watering down" the idea. They're striving for the pockets of casual players, not the hardcore ones.

Whoever asked for a fucking Horizon multiplayer game?

WITH THESE FUCKING DESIGNS??????????

image.png

I did. Is there a problem?

Top Bottom