• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier "Horizon Online Next for Guerilla, Horizon 3 'Ways off', Sony's Live Service Initiative was no joke"

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
He says the third game isn't being worked on until Horizon Online is done.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

So much for the theory that live service games have not impacted single player output
I assumed Horizon 3 was a PS6 launch game, but it appears it's later than that.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Bullshit

"Horizon Online is their next product, not whatever the third single player game looks like so that one might be a ways off"
Yeah, it's waaaaay too vague of a statement to reach that conclusion.

Guerilla has been working on their multiplayer game since 2018 so it's likely next out of the oven. Horizon 3 started development after Forbidden West in 2022 so that was always supposed to release near the end of the decade.

They're a two team studio. Stop with your GAAS Derangement Syndrome my friend.

I saw a post on here that Forbidden West sold ~half of what Zero Dawn sold. When a game sells 50% of what its predecessor did, that is not a good sign for a franchise. Forbidden West was on PS4 too. I know it's VR, too, but it's not like that game helped move the PSVR2.

I think both you and Sony vastly overstate the popularity of this franchise. The Lego game will be interesting to see.

Horizon is vastly overrated as a franchise. Bundled so heavily with PS4 and even PS5. Plus even without bundles, the original was available new in the complete form with DLC for less than $20 like a year after release. Its numbers aren’t all they are cracked up to be. I have no idea what the sequel sold.

An online Horizon game could be ok but it’s hard to imagine it would be anything with staying power. PvP would be terrible unless they drastically change the gameplay. PvE would be cool but it would basically boil down to bullet (arrow) sponge boss robots.

4 or 6 player co-op on missions with mobs of dinobots and a boss or two. Unlock new cosmetics or weapons and shit, could be decent for awhile.

LMJ

Horizon has all the ingredients for potential success in the PVE GAS space:

- A super explorable world
- Gear and cosmetics
- Dungeons
- Great combat
- Crafting
- Currencies

Don't write this one off.

It does indeed, but it also has another ingredient against it...

OVER SATURATION

People really liked HZD, so they were excited for a sequel, then let this cook, but no, now we have a Lego game nobody but Herman asked for, a remaster that wasn't necessary and you're killing your own game series here Herman

Aloy is not Mario

Mario is fun and easy to adapt to multiple situation Aloy and Horizion aren't!

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, it's waaaaay too vague of a statement to reach that conclusion.

Guerilla has been working on their multiplayer game since 2018 so it's likely next out of the oven. Horizon 3 started development after Forbidden West in 2022 so that was always supposed to release near the end of the decade.

They're a two team studio. Stop with your GAAS Derangement Syndrome my friend.

Nothing vague about it. Online is next and Horizon 3 is a "ways off". You can pretend that isn't what he said all you want.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nothing vague about it. Online is next and Horizon 3 is a "ways off". You can pretend that isn't what he said all you want.
I like how they worked on their GAAS game alongside Forbidden West for 4 years but this quote somehow means they stopped working on Horizon III.

You're making things up bud.

clarky

Gold Member
Horizon has all the ingredients for potential success in the PVE GAS space:

- A super explorable world
- Gear and cosmetics
- Dungeons
- Great combat
- Crafting
- Currencies

Don't write this one off.

Thats the ingredients for pretty much every mmo? Unless your sarcasm just went right overy head.

This over factions. Ugh. I enjoy taking down the big robots but I just don't see how Guerilla makes it work as a GAAS with the longevity needed to make the game survive.

Topher

Gold Member
I like how they worked on their GAAS game alongside Forbidden West for 4 years but this quote somehow means they stopped working on Horizon III.

You're making things up bud.

Nope. I'm simply going by what the guy said. If HFW is in full development and not hindered whatsoever by Horizon Online then what Schreier said is complete bullshit. If you have an issue then take it up with Schreier.

Hilarious though that you are in defense mode because you take this as a slight against your precious Gaas/live service model.

clarky

Gold Member
This over factions. Ugh. I enjoy taking down the big robots but I just don't see how Guerilla makes it work as a GAAS with the longevity needed to make the game survive.
Everyone keeps mentioning Factions but ND were very clear, to continue developing that game would have took the entire studio. Would you give up the single player stuff they are working on indefinitely so that Factions could live?

Last edited:

JaksGhost

We don't know that for sure though. Who saw Lego Horizon Adventures being a thing? The key word he said is "might" because he's not sure of their process and nothing is concrete.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Nope. I'm simply going by what the guy said. If HFW is in full development and not hindered whatsoever by Horizon Online then what Schreier said is complete bullshit. If you have an issue then take it up with Schreier.

Hilarious though that you are in defense mode because you take this as a slight against your precious Gaas/live service model.
How quickly do you think Forbidden West could have released if they didn't start working on their multiplayer project in 2018? 5 years dev time is industry standard today.

Oh wait...I just realized you changed your position from "stopped" to "hindered".

Easy work.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I see the usual "stAte of muH industReeee" orange-painted REE types are out.

This has all the components and could work. Live service is a gamble and it could fail massively.

But Sony has tasted success with literally their first try in Helldivers 2. They want more, they're gonna try, and Horizon is one of their better bets.

DeepSpace5D

I still maintain that hunting the machines online with friends could be very fun.

I reserve judgment until I see gameplay. A game being GaaS alone doesn’t make it a bad game.

Everyone keeps mentioning Factions but ND where very clear, to continue developing that game would have took the entire studio. Would you give up the single player stuff they are working on indefinitely so that Factions could live?
That was just excuses in part thanks to bungie for opening their mouths. It didn't need to be a full on GAAS game. Just pack the game with modes and maps and people would buy it.

JaksGhost

That was just excuses in part thanks to bungie for opening their mouths. It didn't need to be a full on GAAS game. Just pack the game with modes and maps and people would buy it.
But that's not the vision they were going for what's so hard to understand about that. They wanted a very ambitious product like all recent Naughty Dog games and it would've taken the whole studio to keep it running. They decided against that and went back to making single player games solely nstead.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I'll take what they actually said over stuff you just made up.

Last edited:

Nydius

It does indeed, but it also has another ingredient against it...

OVER SATURATION

Zero Dawn came out in 2017.
Forbidden West came out in 2022.
Call of the Mountain in 2023.
LEGO spin-off in late 2024.

Two mainline entries and two spin-offs in 7 years.

In a 5 year span, all three mainline Uncharted PS3 games and two Vita spin-offs were released. I don’t recall hearing many people whine about “oversaturation” of the Uncharted IP.

Saying Horizon is oversaturated is a disingenuous argument that is a fancy way of saying “I didn’t like it”. Do I think it needs a GaaS? Hell no. The LEGO game will be the first real test of the strength of the IP outside of its main games.

Last edited:

midnightAI

It was exaggerated for sure but you get the point.
Well live service is a gamble, so we will see. It could work well (I actually think a Destiny type model would work, fully playable solo pve and story, co-op dungeons (cauldrons), multiplayer arenas) or it could fail spectacularly like Concord (unlikely), or it could be anywhere in-between, we haven't even seen it or even had an announcement so I just dont have a clue how it will do or how many will want to play it.

Kacho

Gold Member
A game being GaaS alone doesn’t make it a bad game.
I think it’s more, does the player base Sony cultivated over the years with single player games want GAAS games? Ubisoft spent the last 6 years doing the same with disastrous results.

midnightAI

In a 5 year span, all three mainline Uncharted PS3 games and two Vita spin-offs were released. I don’t recall hearing many people whine about “oversaturation” of the Uncharted IP.

Saying Horizon is oversaturated is a disingenuous argument that is a fancy way of saying “I didn’t like it”. Do I think it needs a GaaS? Hell no.
I think what has happened with Horizon is we have also had PC ports in those years also which seems to inflate just how many games have been released, TLoU has somewhat been foul to this also but that has had many remasters across gens so I kinda get it with that, would still love to see TLoU3 made for PS5/Pro though

clarky

Gold Member

Saying Horizon is oversaturated is a disingenuous argument that is a fancy way of saying “I didn’t like it”. Do I think it needs a GaaS? Hell no. The LEGO game will be the first real test of the strength of the IP outside of its main games.
Difference is the Uncharted IP is ten times more appealing than Horizons.

DeepSpace5D

I think it’s more, does the player base Sony cultivated over the years with single player games want GAAS games? Ubisoft spent the last 6 years doing the same with disastrous results.
I think the PlayStation user base plays a large variety of games, not just single player. Games like Destiny 2, GT7, Helldivers II, have a healthy amount of players on PlayStation. I don’t think a game being GaaS automatically makes it undesirable. It depends on the individual game in question.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

Well said.

I've completely disregarded anyone who's said "oversaturation" after hearing it non stop about Call of Duty in 2010. It's not a real concept. It's an "I want it to be real" concept.

[/QUOTE]
Monster Hunter Wilds looks awesome!

But also...

Who asked for a Horizon monster hunting game? This game is DOA!

GAF is not always the brightest.

You can't compare the popularity of the two.

Yes, Horizon's world has a lot of elements for a great GaaS, but I don't trust Sony for this. It will 100% flop.

AmuroChan

I think you're right in that on the average people loved Uncharted but not Horizon, but also those Uncharted Vita games probably didn't exist in most people's minds since so few people owned a Vita.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It seems like Guerilla would have the chops to make a good multiplayer game, but is the world of Horizon one people are going to want to spend their time in?

wipeout364

I think both Horizon and Killzone could be launched as successful GaaS.
Horizon could as mentioned be a Monster hunter/Diablo 4 hybrid.

Killzone has enough brand recognition that would probably see it be able to launch as a PVP,PVE shooter or extraction type game.

Both would need to be FTP to have success and have crossplay with PC.

I’m not a big PlayStation guy but I would be interested in trying both of those games.

Topher

Gold Member
How quickly do you think Forbidden West could have released if they didn't start working on their multiplayer project in 2018?

Oh wait...I just realized you changed your position from "stopped" to "hindered".

Easy work.

I never said "stopped" at all, now did I? But yeah, I'm not going to hold hard to the game isn't "being worked on" at all. That was my initial take and perhaps too strong. If it is being "hindered" or "not priority" or however the hell you want to say it, Horizon 3 is a "ways off" and Schreier's point is that is because Horizon Online is the "next product". So I don't really give a shit what happened in 2018. Priorities can change pretty damn fast. Just look at Naughty Dog.

Varteras

Same people are looking forward to the next Call of Duty.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I never said "stopped" at all, now did I? But yeah, I'm not going to hold hard to the game isn't "being worked on" at all. That was my initial take and perhaps too strong. If it is being "hindered" or "not priority" or however the hell you want to say it, Horizon 3 is a "ways off" and Schreier's point is that is because Horizon Online is the "next product". So I don't really give a shit what happened in 2018. Priorities can change pretty damn fast. Just look at Naughty Dog.
You said...

"He says the third game isn't being worked on until Horizon Online is done."

GAAS Derangement Syndrome is a real thing.

You took the L on this one. Perhaps you will serve me one down the road. Such is life.

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
Horizon is great sp but mp?

Can't we have some great new ip sp games please, or at lease current gen remakes of old classics

E.g Bullfrog Magic Carpet remake amongst others. Imagining that with current gen graphics..

Top Bottom