• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier "Horizon Online Next for Guerilla, Horizon 3 'Ways off', Sony's Live Service Initiative was no joke"

JaksGhost

I never said "stopped" at all, now did I? But yeah, I'm not going to hold hard to the game isn't "being worked on" at all. That was my initial take and perhaps too strong. If it is being "hindered" or "not priority" or however the hell you want to say it, Horizon 3 is a "ways off" and Schreier's point is that is because Horizon Online is the "next product". So I don't really give a shit what happened in 2018. Priorities can change pretty damn fast. Just look at Naughty Dog.
He said it "MAY" be a ways off because he's uncertain. Words mean things. This could be another co-developement like Call of the Mountain and Lego Adventures that isn't solely being worked on by Guerilla.

dmaul1114

They're not going to give up after one big failure. They'll ride out several hoping to have more successes line Helldivers 2 while hoping to find their own Fortnite type of money printing machine.

Sucks as I'm most a single player gamer, but is what it is with corporations chasing huge profit potentials rather than being content with past huge profits when focusing mostly on single player games.

Ehh.. public wont even see the reveal. If Marathon crash and burn like I suspect it will (maybe, Bungie never made a flop so its up in the air) then Sony will pivot so hard like what the did to Tlou online.

Kamina

Golden Boy

"Sony's Live Service Initiative was no joke"​

Destiny 2 in shambles
TLoU Multiplayer cancelled
Concord probably the biggest flop of the industry

If i was a shareholder i wouldn’t laugh either.

Ozriel

M$FT
Zero Dawn came out in 2017.
Forbidden West came out in 2022.
Call of the Mountain in 2023.
LEGO spin-off in late 2024.

Two mainline entries and two spin-offs in 7 years.

In a 5 year span, all three mainline Uncharted PS3 games and two Vita spin-offs were released. I don’t recall hearing many people whine about “oversaturation” of the Uncharted IP.

Saying Horizon is oversaturated is a disingenuous argument that is a fancy way of saying “I didn’t like it”. Do I think it needs a GaaS? Hell no. The LEGO game will be the first real test of the strength of the IP outside of its main games.

Bit crafty not to mention the meaty expansions for the original game, and then burning shores expansion last year.

Guerillla also hopes you’ll play the original again after the remaster releases.

Naah, I wouldn't be so down on Horizon Online as you guys are. It will probably be a Monster Hunter in the Horizon world, i.e. with a permanent sunset orange tint. Other than that they will probably tone down the GaaS aspects after the Concort disaster and you might have a good game here.

Topher

Gold Member
You said...

"He says the third game isn't being worked on until Horizon Online is done."

GAAS Derangement Syndrome is a real thing.

You took the L on this one. Perhaps you will serve me one down the road. Such is life.

Then you are grasping for a W. Suggesting my wording was too harsh doesn't change the crux of my point that live service is impacting single player output at GG.

He said it "MAY" be a ways off because he's uncertain. Words mean things. This could be another co-developement like Call of the Mountain and Lego Adventures that isn't solely being worked on by Guerilla.

That's just phrasing. He was clearly suggesting Horizon 3 would be a "ways off" after Online.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Then you are grasping for a W. Suggesting my wording was too harsh doesn't change the crux of my point that live service is impacting single player output at GG.
You said "He says the third game isn't being worked on until Horizon Online is done."

Clearly he doesn't say this.
That's just phrasing. He was clearly suggesting Horizon 3 would be a "ways off" after Online.
2022 (Forbidden West release)...5 or 6 years dev time...2027/2028 (Horizon 3 release)

That's a ways off.

Topher

Gold Member
You said "He says the third game isn't being worked on until Horizon Online is done."

Clearly he doesn't say this.

No shit. I've already acknowledged that my paraphrasing was too strong.

2022 (Forbidden West release)...5 or 6 years dev time...2027/2028 (Horizon 3 release)

That's a ways off.

I don't think that is what Schreier is suggesting here at all, but if that is how this all shakes out then I'd say he was full of shit for suggesting Online was impacting H3's release.

Tomi

They will destroy whole profit what they earned from horizon games on this stupid gaas game?

Who the hell is sitting at those desks and making idiotic decisions like this one???
Are you retarded or what???
Gaas wont pass and it will flop very hard...
I understand its hard to stop developing now, but it's only way
Stop waisting money on something people wont play

Last edited:

Sanepar

The scale of stupidity from sony gaas strategy is hilarious. They are not doing showcase because everyone was doing crap gaas.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I have a feeling it’s going to take years for Sony to recover from this GAAS era pushed by Jim and Herman.
You really should consider that GAAS might actually be the future of videogames. At least in the same way 3D was after the 2D era.

It always amazes me how people who enjoy interacting with others on a message board can't envision game design advancing to a similar place. As if gen 1 GAAS isn't going to get demolished by gen 3 GAAS.

Unless it’s a full MMO on the level of WoW or FfXIV, or ESO, this will fail miserably.

Huuuuge risk for them to take, imho. They’d be better off pivoting to Horizon 3 and just fixing the issues that Forbidden West had, and making it as huge & amazing as possible. That’s the only way to compete now. It either is on the level with Witcher 3, BotW, Skyrim, RDR2, or it’s just gonna fade and be a mid-seller.

Last edited:

RCX

Horizon is the videogame equivalent of Avatar.

Financially very successful with zero cultural impact.

I've played both games and the only thing I can really remember about them is that they look nice and the main character is insufferable.

I get it, making new IPs is hard. I just wish they'd gone all-in on some other franchise.

Dundar

So much for the theory that live service games have not impacted single player output

It always made me laugh when ppl actually believed all that kool aid. Developers are counted, you can invest budget in a project but you'll never have free, out-of-the-arsehole, specialized workmanship

leizzra

This game is in development since 2018 or 2019 (I don’t remember exactly) so it’s already a long development. It didn’t impacted Forbidden West though so it shouldn’t be this way with Horizon 3. Unless they need to push it out already.

Topher

Gold Member
It wasn't too strong - it was wrong.

I wasn't quoting him directly and still doesn't change the overall point that Horizon 3's development is being impacted by Online.

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

PandaOk

Neo Member
They're not going to give up after one big failure. They'll ride out several hoping to have more successes line Helldivers 2 while hoping to find their own Fortnite type of money printing machine.
Exactly. Also Helldivers 2, GT, MLB have all been successful. People just desperately want all of the GAAS to fail so they’re rewriting history after one bomb, but that’s not how the gambit works.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The ironic part is that the one game from a popular franchise, that was building on an established MP mode instead of sheohorning something new, i-e Factions, got canceled.

That's the one game that could have done well for their GaaS initiative.

Radical_3d

The only reason neither Xbox or PlayStation aren’t leaving the industry is that they both decided to be r-word at the same time. Thank God for Space Marine II.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The ironic part is that the one game from a popular franchise, that was building on an established MP mode instead of sheohorning something new, i-e Factions, got canceled.

Hard to say this when we haven't seen a lick of gameplay and knew nothing about its development.

IP gets people to notice, but doesn't get people to stick around. That's why you see so much new IP in the GAAS space.

Kacho

Gold Member
You really should consider that GAAS might actually be the future of videogames. At least in the same way 3D was after the 2D era.

It always amazes me how people who enjoy interacting with others on a message board can't envision game design advancing to a similar place. As if gen 1 GAAS isn't going to get demolished by gen 3 GAAS.
GAAS is lowest common denominator gaming. No one doubts its huge, or that it makes companies a lot money. As long as there’s a large number of idiots willing to spend their paycheck on MUT cards and useless cosmetics, these companies will continue to go after them.

However that doesn’t mean single player games don’t have a place. GAAS will always have a place, just like mobile gaming, but they will never be the only thing just because they’re big.

Good point. Factions formula was working pretty well and they just should have built from that instead of aiming at earning quick billions. By the way Guerrilla also have a MP formula that works pretty well and is fun! This is Killzone Shadow Fall MP. But obviously Killzone is not woke enough (and will never be) and Hulst obviously wants to focus on his baby.

So far it’s been far from it with Helldivers 2 success
They bought the studios just before the release of the game. Which is a sequel from a passionate team. They just got lucky. I doubt they make $400 million + the cost of Helldivers devs acquisition with that one game. Easier to double the price of an Horizon game for that...

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

GaaS being shoehorned into an intended multiplayer addon, established or not, isn't a much better scenario and might actually be worse than designing something for the ground up as a GaaS offering.

And while I'm no fan of Horizon, I see potential in a Monster Hunter style GaaS offering or at least as much as a multiplayer 3rd person cover shooter. I'm not sure ND or Guerilla were the right ones to task with these projects in the first place though.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GAAS is lowest common denominator gaming. No one doubts its huge, or that it makes companies a lot money. As long as there’s a large number of idiots willing to spend their paycheck on MUT cards and useless cosmetics, these companies will continue to go after them.

However that doesn’t mean single player games don’t have a place. GAAS will always have a place, just like mobile gaming, but they will never be the only thing just because they’re big.
Consider the payment model as being the least interesting thing about GAAS. It's like obsessing over the glovebox in a 24' Corvette.

Last edited:

bundylove

This gen is done.

Thank god for my backlog and third party support. And i include xbox games on ps5 as well.

Its almost as if xbox saves the playstatiom game drought

They bought the studios just before the release of the game. Which is a sequel from a passionate team. They just got lucky. I doubt they make $400 million + the cost of Helldivers devs acquisition with that one game. Easier to double the price of an Horizon game for that...

Arrowhead is not owned by Sony.

LMJ

Zero Dawn came out in 2017.
Forbidden West came out in 2022.
Call of the Mountain in 2023.
LEGO spin-off in late 2024.

Two mainline entries and two spin-offs in 7 years.

In a 5 year span, all three mainline Uncharted PS3 games and two Vita spin-offs were released. I don’t recall hearing many people whine about “oversaturation” of the Uncharted IP.

Saying Horizon is oversaturated is a disingenuous argument that is a fancy way of saying “I didn’t like it”. Do I think it needs a GaaS? Hell no. The LEGO game will be the first real test of the strength of the IP outside of its main games.

Aloy is a fine character, however she is also being overused through no fault of her own...

Every time Horizon is mentioned regardless if its a PC port or remaster or spinoff the brand loses appeal to many hence OVER SATUARTION

look I'm looking forward to the next mainline Horizon, but the sentiment amongst many gamers is that the lego game looks meh, the reaction to the remaster is meh, and while I believe an online Horizon game could be amazing ALA Monster hunter if they announce it to soon many will write it off unless it looks polished and amazing.

Like it or not they are hurting the brand, I still say HZD great story, and has some of the best enemy encounter design I've ever seen, but Aloy is just not likable enough or charismatic enough of a character there's a reason she isn't the face of PS despite her studios creator being the freaking Sony CEO.

Happy Video Games GIF by PlayStation

Aloy is fine in her universe, but she is the face of horizon and she's just not a Mario or Sonic or Crash

Kacho

Gold Member
The payment model is why all commercial products exist. It's still the least fascinating part of the medium.
Studios hire psychologists for their GAAS games so they can maximize how much money they can extract from the player base over the course of the games life cycle.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Studios hire psychologists for their GAAS games so they can maximize how much money they can extract from the player base over the course of the games life cycle.
Psychologists have been used in all sorts of commercial fields to sell product, including single player games. Nothing new there.

That's the 2nd least fascinating aspect of GAAS.

I’m pretty excited for PlayStation in 2028.

Potentially simpler, stronger titles on PS6 in a launch window including in stock hardware considering the destruction of faith this gen

Kacho

Gold Member
Psychologists have been used in all sorts of commercial fields to sell product, including single player games. Nothing new there.

That's the 2nd least fascinating aspect of GAAS.
Your original argument is GAAS is the future of gaming, implying single player games are on their way out. However you have yet to offer a compelling reason as to why that is other than GAAS popular.

Now we’re going down a different road about how GAAS are fascinating but you can’t quantify that.

Top Bottom