• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
16508821_10154103461971930_4917019356800999129_n.jpg

This is not a drill! This is an actual image from my laptop! Yes, Kids - @jayandsilentbob are coming back! Here's the story: Sadly, Clerks III can't happen (one of our four leads opted out of the flick). So I worked on a #Mallrats movie instead... which also didn't happen because it turned into a #Mallrats series. I've pitched said sequel series to 6 different networks only to find no takers thus far. Mind you, I'm not complaining: nobody gets to make EVERYTHING they wanna make in this business (do they?). And I've been lucky to make anything at all, there's so much competition out there, so many much cooler ideas from fresh folks. And besides: I had #comicbookmen and then @tuskthemovie and @yogahosers (which all came together so crazy quickly), and the podcasts and #fatmanonbatman. With all of that, how could I bitch about no Clerks III or Mallrats 2? Then when I started directing @thecw shows, it was such a slice of Heaven on Earth, I happily put my Askewniverse sequels to the side. Since I sold #Clerks and #Mallrats years ago, they're owned by others, which limits my moves with my own material. I don't mind: back in the day, all I ever wanted to do was sell my stuff so I could be in the movie biz in the first place. So I don't own Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy or #Dogma... But I DO own #jayandsilentbob. So while I love playing with someone else's new toys on @cwtheflash and @Supergirl, I'm getting eager to play with my old toys again in the inter-connected View Askewniverse I spent the first half of my career creating. And so all last month, I had the time of my life laughing while writing "Jay and Silent Bob Reboot" - a fun flick in which the Jersey boys have to go back to Hollywood to stop a brand new reboot of the old "Bluntman & Chronic Movie" they hated so much. It's a tongue-in-cheek, silly-ass satire that pokes fun at the movie business's recent re-do obsession, featuring an all-star cast of cameos and familiar faces! And I already met with the good folks at Miramax and they're into it, so I'm hoping we'll be shooting in the summer! Never give up, kids. You CAN do anything you want in life, so long as you're patient and malleable. #KevinSmith

I'm always willing to give anything Kevin Smith does a shot. The concept sounds interesting and it could be fun.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
How Kevin Got His Groove Back. Can't say I'm personally interested but he sounds really excited to be working on this. Good for him.

Kevin Smith said:
This is not a drill! This is an actual image from my laptop! Yes, Kids - @jayandsilentbob are coming back! Here's the story: Sadly, Clerks III can't happen (one of our four leads opted out of the flick). So I worked on a #Mallrats movie instead... which also didn't happen because it turned into a #Mallrats series. I've pitched said sequel series to 6 different networks only to find no takers thus far. Mind you, I'm not complaining: nobody gets to make EVERYTHING they wanna make in this business (do they?). And I've been lucky to make anything at all, there's so much competition out there, so many much cooler ideas from fresh folks.

It's like people are trying to tell you something, Kevin.

Busty

Banned
Kevin Smith has such an odd career. His first film is by far his best and yet he has created his own 'universe' around what is essentially a black and white, indy comedy from the 90's.

It's remarkable.

Also, barring Chasing Amy his other works have been so forgettable that I completely forgot that he made a Jay & Silent Bob film..., and I saw it in the cinema!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Kevin Smith has such an odd career. His first film is by far his best and yet he has created his own 'universe' around what is essentially a black and white, indy comedy from the 90's.

It's remarkable.

Also, barring Chasing Amy his other works have been so forgettable that I completely forgot that he made a Jay & Silent Bob film..., and I saw it in the cinema!
Dogma is still great.

Boem

All I remember was that there was a monkey in it.

And that they ended up going round to the houses of people badmouthing their movie on the internet and punching them in the face.

I think I liked it at the time. But man it's been years.

Nah, Chasing Amy is his best film. It also completely falls apart in the last third.

And then there are other, bigger problems with it...

Chasing Amy was always an uncomfortable movie, a film that encapsulated the worst aspects of narcissistic nerd entitlement at its late-nineties peak, but twenty years later I couldn’t even bring myself to finish rewatching it. When it was released, I begged my father to drive me to Raleigh’s Rialto Theatre and left that first showing enraptured, believing that some aspect of my privileged nerdy male “struggle” had been set to film. Kevin Smith was the first director whose scripts I had ever read; before I’d encountered his work, I hadn’t ever considered the form. It helped that Smith was such a dreadful cinematographer, a fact he admits without shame, because it meant his movies were the equivalent of ninety-minute script readings. Yet why, in the course of dreaming about becoming a “Hollywood writer”—whatever that meant—had I lingered over this material? How had it ever resonated with anyone at all, myself included?

The answer was simple but painful: I was one of those stereotypical “guys who liked movies,” and I was stupid.

Breads

Banned
I've listened to his podcasts, watched live appearences, skimmed through his events, and cringed my way through his latest movies.

We need to stop giving this man money. He only wants to entertain himself and clearly no one else and he wants other people to pay for it.

Poppy

the only kevin smith content i revisit is the clerks animated series, and i actually dunno if he did any writing for it

but oh how i love it

Nekofrog

Banned
Jeff Anderson has my favorite speaking cadence of anyone who ever existed and I'm sad he isn't into acting that much.

phanphare

Banned
ugh

as someone who really liked those Kevin Smith movies through Jay and Bob Strike Back

please stop

Clerks 2 was atrocious

a Mallrats 2 series would be atrocious

a Jay and Bob Reboot about them trying to stop a reboot is going to be atrocious

Boem

I've listened to his podcasts, watched live appearences, skimmed through his events, and cringed my way through his latest movies.

We need to stop giving this man money. He only wants to entertain himself and clearly no one else and he wants other people to pay for it.

I mean, the guy isn't making millions. Yes, he's only doing projects that entertain him, but given how limited the release is of his movies you'd have to really seek out his works. If you don't you never really encounter it. It's not like there was a months-long Yoga Hosers advert storm hitting you in the face.

I never really get people saying he should stop what he's doing. He has his small fanbase who enjoys his stuff. Not watching/listening to his stuff is easy, I've been doing it for years. But why should he stop? Would you be happier if he just got a job as an accountant or something?

I agree, but if people are willing to pay for it more power to him.

With that being said, making your reboot of a movie series a parody of a reboot of a movie series is a bit too on the nose to be considered clever, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom