• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

wetwired

I like his podcasts but I was always indifferent to his films. He needs to stop talking about projects until they're a sure thing though. The list of things he's said are coming but never did is longer than Trumps vocabulary.

The Argus

Let it die Mr. Smith. Continue selling out your little stand u...errr Q&As to burnouts who can't let go of the 90s and let your once great characters sleep forever.

Kevin Smith has such a weird career path in the industry and this news just adds to it. On one hand, its disappointing to see that he just hasnt grown that much as a film maker and keeps "going back to the well", but on the other I liked a lot of the "Askuniverse" movies and just from what Ive seen and heard from Kevin Smith, he seems to be a good guy and I want him to succeed.

So yeah, if it makes him happy, good for him. Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back was a big miss but Clerks 2 was a lot better than it had any right to be IMO. It'll be interesting to see if hes can still make a movie based on J&SB feel fresh again.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
bigger
C4Qo4FwVUAAkpZ1.jpg:orig

Seeing Jay these days is tough. He may be clean, but man the drugs ravaged his face and teeth.

I've listened to his podcasts, watched live appearences, skimmed through his events, and cringed my way through his latest movies.

We need to stop giving this man money. He only wants to entertain himself and clearly no one else and he wants other people to pay for it.

He sure knows how to talk. I haven't enjoyed any of his post-View-Askewniverse movies, buy I couldn't listen to him blab about whatever.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
This whole thing is probably just to keep Jay sober, let's be real.

I thought that's what the game they crowd funded was for. HOW MANY PROJECTS DOES IT TAKE TO KEEP ONE SOBER?!

I like all of his stuff and can probably be entertained by hearing the man ramble for hours so I'm all for it. Whether it's Clerks 3, Mallrats 2 or Jay & Bob Boogaloo.

Nairume

Banned
Aren't they on bad terms?
It sounds less like they are on bad terms because of a feud and more that Affleck distanced himself from Smith because his wife thought Smith was a bad influence on him.

But given his marital situation, maybe that'll change.

Not surprised. While I'm completely fine with his still working on films, I think Smith should hang it in at this point, or go on a long brief retirement. It's obvious he's run out of ideas at this point.

Kevin Smith has such an odd career. His first film is by far his best and yet he has created his own 'universe' around what is essentially a black and white, indy comedy from the 90's.

It's remarkable.

Also, barring Chasing Amy his other works have been so forgettable that I completely forgot that he made a Jay & Silent Bob film..., and I saw it in the cinema!

Jay & Silent Bob Strikes Back had too many memorable sequences (Good Will Hunting 2, the Scooby sequence, the Mark Hamill scene), for me to consider it unmemorable, even if it overall an uneven film.

I also think Dogma, Mallrats, Clerks II, and even parts of Jersey Girl to be fairly memorable, and somewhat enjoyable. I'm a Smith fan, but even I acknowledging he needs to stop writing scripts while high. Man!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It sounds less like they are on bad terms because of a feud and more that Affleck distanced himself from Smith because his wife thought Smith was a bad influence on him.

I can only imagine the scene where Jennifer Garner came barging into the basement of her and Ben's place to find him and Kevin ripped out of their minds surrounded by junk food and paraphernalia playing videogames and giggling like children.

no idea if the original even holds up nowadays, but Jay saying "what the fuck is the internet??" is still one of my all-time favorite line deliveries in any movie ever

I never even knew Mallrats 2 fell apart. Hm. Couldn't have cared less about Clerks 3 but Mallrats 2 sounded good with the old cast coming back.

Boem

I agree, but if people are willing to pay for it more power to him.

With that being said, making your reboot of a movie series a parody of a reboot of a movie series is a bit too on the nose to be considered clever, imo.

'Too on the nose to be considered clever' should be what they are going to put on Smith's gravestone when the time comes honestly.

The man made many movies, and I haven't seen nearly all of them, but I don't think a single one of them is particularly smart. And, to be fair to the guy, he obviously knows that subtlety isn't really his thing. At least these days he does, he used to be a bit more classically nerd pretentious.

Strax

But given his marital situation, maybe that'll change.

Can't be so bad since Affleck said in some interview he watched Red State for his Argo cast because he thought Kevin had good taste in actors and ended up casting 3 people based on Red State.

Not sure I'm his audience, but I certainly wish him the best. It's been odd watching Smith who I adored at one time remain (at least in my view) stationary while I've grown up.

Breads

Banned
I mean, the guy isn't making millions. Yes, he's only doing projects that entertain him, but given how limited the release is of his movies you'd have to really seek out his works. If you don't you never really encounter it. It's not like there was a months-long Yoga Hosers advert storm hitting you in the face.

I never really get people saying he should stop what he's doing. He has his small fanbase who enjoys his stuff. Not watching/listening to his stuff is easy, I've been doing it for years. But why should he stop? Would you be happier if he just got a job as an accountant or something?

I want to like his works again. I continue to be a fan of Clerks 1 and 2, Dogma, Chasing Amy, and Mallrats and as a kid I liked Jay and Silent Bob Strikes back and I spent years listening to smodcast. I feel let down and I feel like people who still support him are enabling his bad habits.

I would be happier if he cared about trying.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Sucks about Clerks 3. Not really shocked about Mallrats 2 falling apart since the first one kind of drags in the middle.

Just don't a sequel to Chasing Amy and we are fine.

Google

I was a huge Smith fan back in the early 00's. He was everything I thought success was and he seemed genuinely happy with his Hollywood home, beautiful wife, gorgeous friends, etc.

However now I'm so ambivalent to anything he does I just dont care.

I will probably not watch this.

Boem

I want to like his works again. I continue to be a fan of Clerks 1 and 2, Dogma, Chasing Amy, and Mallrats and as a kid I liked Jay and Silent Bob Strikes back and I spent years listening to smodcast. I feel let down and I feel like people who still support him are enabling his bad habits.

I would be happier if he cared about trying.

Ah yeah, fair enough. I get it if you're a fan of his older works.

To be honest I don't know what a modern good Smith movie would look like. I mean, good beyond something to giggle at while you're high. I don't really know if he has more in him than what he's already doing, although I haven't really been following him beyond the mid-2000s.

This guy was a hero of mine...but that was over 20 years ago.

Now whenever I read about him or come across some youtube video of his podcasts I feel embarrassed on his behalf.

I can only imagine the scene where Jennifer Garner came barging into the basement of her and Ben's place to find him and Kevin ripped out of their minds surrounded by junk food and paraphernalia playing videogames and giggling like children.

lol

Their bromance is pretty evident in this old Dinner for Five episode

And ironically Garner is sitting at the table before they were dating xD

After seeing Smith's last few films its clear he just wants to make shit even if he isn't pushing himself to make anything more than B-grade. More power to him but don't have any faith this new film will capture any of the charm the earlier films had. Christ was Yoga Hosers bad :/

Also..which lead would bow out of Clerks 3?

Cant be that motherfucker Dante. Last time I saw hime he was near comatose in this weird documentary about the neighborhood I grew up in.

I get the feeling that Mallrats will eventually come back in some form, maybe 15 years from now when gen xers want to relive their early youth and remind everyone what a 'shopping mall' used to be in a zany throwback sense. There can be wacky references to other decrepit things like flip phones, CDs, video arcades and Jason Mewes.

Aesthet1c

Man all the Kevin Smith hate in here.

Trying to tell someone they shouldn't make a thing is dumb. If you don't like it, don't go see it. The rest of us will have fun enjoying what will probably be a mediocre but entertaining comedy.
Snoochie boochies

I've listened to his podcasts, watched live appearences, skimmed through his events, and cringed my way through his latest movies.

We need to stop giving this man money. He only wants to entertain himself and clearly no one else and he wants other people to pay for it.
More artists should do this. Worrying about what other people want is what leads to so many unoriginal pieces of media.

Not to mention, that was his same exact mentality when he was making what people consider to be his good movies.

I don't understand why people are shitting on the idea of Clerks III when Clerks II was so entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom