• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay & Silent Bob Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is....just bizarre

Cant deny that Smith was my Messiah in the late 90s tho :/

Also, i really need to go ahead and see just how bad Yoga Hosers is

the1npc

No you really don't. The only redeemable thing about it is why he made it, and that's something you can get in the podcasts that does not apply to the film.

It's trash.

Yeah I heard him on Joe rogans podcast. Isnt it essentially made for his daughter and her friends?

Matty77

Yeah I heard him on Joe rogans podcast. Isnt it essentially made for his daughter and her friends?
That and he felt there was no young teen adventure films aimed at girls, but yeah vanity project with a cute and warmhearted origin but the resulting film is painful to watch.

the1npc

That and he felt there was no young teen adventure films aimed at girls, but yeah vanity project with a cute and warmhearted origin but the resulting film is painful to watch.

I never bothered cause Im not the targrt audience. I think ive seen most smith films except dogma..maybr its on netflix

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I feel like I'm one of the few people who enjoys Kevin Smith's movies. I think they're fun, silly, and entertaining. I loved Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back because of how much of a live action cartoon it was, so I'm looking forward to this new entry.

Smith seems like a decent enough dude, and he has talent behind the director's chair and the writer's desk, so I don't see the hate for him. To each his own, however. I can't stand Quentin Tarantino, for example, but I've enjoyed a handful of his movies.

Ban Puncher

I blame Seth Rogen for getting Kevin Smith into weed during the shooting of Zack & Miri because it's all been downhill since then.

I blame Seth Rogen for lots of other things too.

Wereroku

Wow id assumed he had always smoked cause of blunt man and chronic

No Jason was the one doing everything. Kevin Smith was clean until Seth Rogan. It has really messed with his stuff. He has a weird thing with Bruce Willis because he called him a worthless stoner basically.

RMI

Banned
I like Kevin Smith. He's made some good (and bad) films, and seems like a decent guy.

I definitely think the quality of his output declined post Dogma, and although I loved Chasing Amy at the time watching that film now is torture outside of a few funny bits. Clerks 2 had some laughs though.

No Jason was the one doing everything. Kevin Smith was clean until Seth Rogan. It has really messed with his stuff. He has a weird thing with Bruce Willis because he called him a worthless stoner basically.

The story is actually hilarious though, same as with the story of his beef with Tim Burton, and his story about shooting a Prince documentary (which is unreal). You can find these things on Youtube pretty easily, they're worth a watch.

Matty77

It was more than that, the studio was pissed at willis's phoned in performance and forced him to reshoot most of the movie. And even with it being a failure the studio offered Kevin more work after Cop Out but he had such a bad experience he said no.

Plus there are quite a few other stories floating around about Bruce being a dick and hard to work with from enough legitimate places with no connection to each other for me to think Kevin is probably in the right on this one.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

Well I think it's more after his experience of working with him on Copout that lead to them really falling out with Bruce Willis supposedly being a major asshole on that film. Of course we weren't there but he's alluded to a lot more stuff happening on set that he won't talk about but who knows really.

But then Sly Stallone called out Bruce Willis as well for being 'greedy and lazy' so it wouldn't surprise me.

Wereroku

It was more than that, the studio was pissed at willis's phoned in performance and forced him to reshoot most of the movie. And even as with it being what we call a failure the studio offered Kevin more work after Cop Out but he had such a bad experience he said no.

Plus there are quite a few other stories floating around about Bruce being a dick and hard to work with from enough legitimate places with no connection to each other for me to think Kevin is probably in the right on this one.

Yeah Bruce is definitely a dick as well but when him and the crew said Kevin would just sit in the directors chair stoned and hardly do anything there is probably some truth to that as well. However Cop out in particular seemed like it was a mess.

Well I think it's more after his experience of working with him on Copout that lead to them really falling out with Bruce Willis supposedly being a major asshole on that film. Of course we weren't there but he's alluded to a lot more stuff happening on set that he won't talk about who knows really.

But then Sly Stallone called out Bruce Willis as well for being 'greedy and lazy' so it wouldn't surprise me.

True we don't know the whole story but his stuff has definitely taken a hit lately.

I blame Seth Rogen for getting Kevin Smith into weed during the shooting of Zack & Miri because it's all been downhill since then.

I blame Seth Rogen for lots of other things too.

Post Zack & Miri depression seemed geniune on the podcast. It seemed that everybody led him to believe that it was gonna be his big breakout film, and it was a fluke. I grew tired of the guy, and I stopped listening to the Smodcast a longtime ago, but at the time, I kinda felt for him.

Matty77

Yeah Bruce is definitely a dick as well but when him and the crew said Kevin would just sit in the directors chair stoned and hardly do anything there is probably some truth to that as well. However Cop out in particular seemed like it was a mess.
I don't disagree about Kevin. The TV work he's doing is for the best. It's impossible for him to fuck up those shows and it leads to great material for the podcasts, which is really where his focus should be.

Wereroku

I don't disagree about Kevin. The TV work he's doing is for the best. It's impossible for him to fuck up those shows and it leads to great material for the podcasts, which is really where his focus should be.

True his Flash stuff seems to be going well. He really has a lot of passion for that work and talks about it a lot. It's really funny that his shift to directing that stuff was because Jason just had his wife ask the network if Kevin could direct. The story just makes it sound so ridiculously simple.

Matty77

True his Flash stuff seems to be going well. He really has a lot of passion for that work and talks about it a lot. It's really funny that his shift to directing that stuff was because Jason just had his wife ask the network if Kevin could direct. The story just makes it sound so ridiculously simple.
Yup. I think he just got asked back for a third supergirl, which started as one episode.

Exodust

Banned
It was probably Jeff Anderson (Randall). He apparently really hates acting and almost didn't do Clerks 2.. It's sad because he's hilarious.

Maybe it was Rosario Dawson? I know Anderson wasn't too keen on the idea but I see Dawson not feeling the need to do it with how many bigger roles she's been getting lately.

cj_iwakura

No you really don't. The only redeemable thing about it is why he made it, and that's something you can get in the podcasts that does not apply to the film.

It's trash.
The convenience store scenes with Harley and Lily Rose are genuinely witty and funny. They have great chemistry. That's about it, rest of the movie is trash.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

He even mentioned himself that it's hard for him to fuck it up as well as it's such a well oiled machine too, especially the CW shows and he works with a lot of great people.

Strax

It was more than that, the studio was pissed at willis's phoned in performance and forced him to reshoot most of the movie. And even with it being a failure the studio offered Kevin more work after Cop Out but he had such a bad experience he said no.

What's always struck me as really odd is according to Kevin Smith them working together was Willis idea after working with Smith on Die Hard and then Willis totally phones it in. This wasn't Bruce in dire need of money and saying yes to anything. Smith would never made this film if it wasn't for Willis.

Maybe it was Rosario Dawson? I know Anderson wasn't too keen on the idea but I see Dawson not feeling the need to do it with how many bigger roles she's been getting lately.

I highly doubt her character would be one of the four leads. Her not being in the movie could be explained with one sentence (divorce/dead/holiday with her parents/whatever)

Apt101

I really liked Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back, but Smith is a very different writer now. Hopefully, like Clerks films, this is one series that he can come back to stronger.

Matty77

What's always struck me as really odd is according to Kevin Smith them working together was Willis idea after working with Smith on Die Hard and then Willis totally phones it in. This wasn't Bruce in dire need of money and saying yes to anything. Smith would never made this film if it wasn't for Willis.
Yeah that was weird.

luchadork

was never a massive fan of his films but i really think he carved a great niche for himself with his podcasts. so i guess i'm a big fan of kevin smith the person. just havent watched many of his films.

struggling to understand why he's getting so much hate though. its not like he's trying to create critically acclaimed work right now. he's just bootstrapping movies for fun with his own ideas directly aimed at fans of his podcast.

cj_iwakura

was never a massive fan of his films but i really think he carved a great niche for himself with his podcasts. so i guess i'm a big fan of kevin smith the person. just havent watched many of his films.

struggling to understand why he's getting so much hate though. its not like he's trying to create critically acclaimed work right now. he's just bootstrapping movies for fun with his own ideas directly aimed at fans of his podcast.

Probably because he's capable of so much better. Chasing Amy and Dogma are well written and are great looks at relationships and religion. Dialogue is his specialty, not tweens fighting sausage nazis. Tusk had a lot of strong dialogue scenes, as did Red State, probably why they're the best of his post-Askew films.

luchadork

Probably because he's capable of so much better. Chasing Amy and Dogma are well written and are great looks at relationships and religion. Dialogue is his specialty, not tweens fighting sausage nazis. Tusk had a lot of strong dialogue scenes, as did Red State, probably why they're the best of his post-Askew films.

a lot of people in here seem to be saying he should never make movies again. it sounds like tusk and yoga hosers were gutter trash. but i saw red state and it wasnt terrible. copout had development issues sure but that was a bog standard studio movie. so i dunno. thats 2 shit movies in the space of 2 years. whats so offensive about that? even spielberg had a brief turd making period of his career (by his standard).

Zakalwe

Banned
Smith just isn't a very good writer. His dialogue can be snappy/fresh (well, it was in the 90s..), and he can be funny, but - Clerks aside - he's never produced anything that lives up to the potential of its premise.

He's got some good ideas, but he's not good enough to get them made.

I'm always interested in his new work though, just in case he proves my assessment wrong.

And don't get me wrong: Mallrats, Chasing Amy, I enjoyed his films growing up and I still think they have value, I just can't find myself to care at all whether he makes something new or not.

cj_iwakura

a lot of people in here seem to be saying he should never make movies again. it sounds like tusk and yoga hosers were gutter trash. but i saw red state and it wasnt terrible. copout had development issues sure but that was a bog standard studio movie. so i dunno. thats 2 shit movies in the space of 2 years. whats so offensive about that? even spielberg had a brief turd making period of his career (by his standard).

Tusk is a very well made, genuinely disturbing film. You can tell he put a lot of love into that crazy movie.

Yoga Hosers is, yes, gutter trash.

It's pretty telling that A24 did Tusk, but no one wanted to touch YH. I just hope Moose Jaws gets made, because that sounds like the right kind of crazy.

AAMARMO

Banned
Fun Fact: Kojima thought Tusk was was shockingly awesome.

GEBE2OE.png

Being from NJ, and now 5 minutes from "his" comic shop, I am so over the Kevin Smith worship.

His most well known movies are time capsules and that's really it. They didn't age well at all and the juvenile humor is just too much. The whole thing just gets so old so fast.

Exodust

Banned
I'm a huge Kevin Smith fanboy, and I abhorred tusk and refuse to watch Yoga Hosers.

I've basically given up on him, hope he does well regardless because he always seemed like a good dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom