• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Grubb: A State of Play is scheduled for September

Days Gone but they make Deacon gay.
Gay Decon.
PFhLufH.jpeg

DeepSpace5D

Even I as a big Horizon fan, 100% trophies in Zero Dawn and Forbidden West and enjoyed every minute of it, thinks a Zero Dawn remaster is pretty insane when the Horizon Lego game was just revealed for the first time recently. It feels like overkill and oversaturation of the franchise.

At least stagger these titles over time better. And is there still a Horizon online game in the works? By the time Horizon 3 is unveiled, will there have been any time to miss the franchise and be actually excited about a new entry? It’s a bit much.

So Until Dawn, Horizon ZD and this third remaster are their big games this holiday season? Get Herman outta here. Just send him to the moon.

There are very few games left from Sonys PS4 era that havent been re-released as PS5 remasters.

Here is everything they have already released on PS5 or will soon release.
- Uncharted 4
- Uncharted Lost Legacy
- Spiderman
- Death Stranding
- TLOU2
- Ghost of Tsushima
- Horizon ZD
- Until Dawn

This leaves the Ratchet remake, GT Sports, Days Gone, Infamous Second Son and KZSF. like whats the point?

It's the Nintendo Wii U -> Switch strategy but at least there Nintendo had valid reasons. Complete architecture differences messing up any native BC, and poor Wii U sales limiting total sales caps for games released on it (even tho Nintendo's own games more often than not did extremely well despite Wii U's low install base. Honestly really impressive in certain cases).

PS5 is fully BC with PS4, and the PS4 sold almost 120 million units. Not exactly a bomba or niche. These remasters of their big PS4 games, assuming there are are more, are just feeling like complete cash grabs and milking of the current audience. Or just as bad, an excuse to "justify" more simultaneous PC releases, particularly in light of a diminished GAAS output which was supposed to fill in that role.

...Assuming any of this is true. Grubb is more wrong than right, and loves to talk just to talk. Most of these insiders are the same. But aside of some one-offs (like the recent Astro Bot), this is feeling too much like the most unambitious era for SIE in terms of 1P software. A glut of GAAS, safe sequels, safe & unnecessary remakes, and safe & unnecessary remasters (outside of ones like the recent Freedom Wars).

Xbox has had some decent showings for sure

That they have, but on the whole things have been a bit on the "eh" side.

Sony feels like they're just coasting because they know Microsoft is struggling, so they feel like they don't have any competition anymore.

So its cheap remasters and games you already played, $700 consoles and controller price hikes.

Feels eerily similar to the early PS3 days.

Varteras

Sony announces all new releases pushed back to 2028 PS6 launch. Only remasters, remakes, and GTA 6 to show off PS5 Pro. Thanks for your money, weebs.

Nydius

Even I as a big Horizon fan, 100% trophies in Zero Dawn and Forbidden West and enjoyed every minute of it, thinks a Zero Dawn remaster is pretty insane when the Horizon Lego game was just revealed for the first time recently. It feels like overkill and oversaturation of the franchise.

At least stagger these titles over time better. And is there still a Horizon online game in the works? By the time Horizon 3 is unveiled, will there have been any time to miss the franchise and be actually excited about a new entry? It’s a bit much.

I’m in the same boat as you and completely agree. I haven’t replayed HZD since getting my PS5 (no point because I have all the trophies for both the base game and DLC), but didn’t they add some PS5 improvements after the console launched?

I could swear they dropped a patch to make the game run at 60fps in backwards compatibility on PS5. It already looks great, does it really need a “remaster”? I don’t think so, and I certainly see no reason to buy it - and I say that as a pretty big fan of the franchise.

Remastering a 2017 game with existing PS5 enhancements that’s already sold over 20m copies just screams “desperate cash grab”.

DeepSpace5D

I’m in the same boat as you and completely agree. I haven’t replayed HZD since getting my PS5 (no point because I have all the trophies for both the base game and DLC), but didn’t they add some PS5 improvements after the console launched?

I could swear they dropped a patch to make the game run at 60fps in backwards compatibility on PS5. It already looks great, does it really need a “remaster”? I don’t think so, and I certainly see no reason to buy it - and I say that as a pretty big fan of the franchise.

Remastering a 2017 game with existing PS5 enhancements that’s already sold over 20m copies just screams “desperate cash grab”.
Indeed, HZD runs at 60 fps on PS5 and it plays really great. It was actually my first time experiencing it on the PS5.

But yeah, agreed and this remaster would have to be mighty impressive for me to care at all really when it plays so well on the PS5 already.

Top Bottom