• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Danger |OT| If You Ain't 3nd, You're Last

LevityNYC

Banned
TRials HD is my GOTY 2009. I've put around 100 hours into the game.

Here are a few thoughts on Joe Danger for those who haven't played it.

I played for a little over an hour tonight. Its good, not great... yet. Very fun.

The bouncing on springs is too Sonic-ey to me. The physics are VERY forgiving. Its not Trials HD for sure. I got 2nd in the 8 tracks I beat. I went back to get high scores. The lack of loading (like trials HD) is very welcome for a quick restart. The controls are definitely more complicated than trials.

Viewable replays would be very welcome.

I wish there was more of a speed element.

Oh yeah, the in game music is completely terrible. Words can't describe how bad it is until you hear it.

I'm sure I'll a lot of play time out of this game. I wish there were leaderboards by time as well as score.

Is there a way to view your entire friends leaderboard instead of just 5 people around you?

Random question.

Does anyone else's hands hurt after playing this game? I remember my hands used to feel like this after playing a lot of SSX and Tony hawk 3.

GeeDuhb

I seriously love this game. The comparisons with Tony Hawk that so many have made are dead on. I remember trying to combo stuff for hours just to get a crazy high score.

Replay value is crazy good on it. SO worth the $15, for anyone still on the fence!

BTW, I am GeeDuhb on PSN. Please feel free to add me, as I would love to fill up my friend leaderboard, and will love sharing my created stages once everyone gets out of the initial score beating obsession :lol

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
GeeDuhb said:
I seriously love this game. The comparisons with Tony Hawk that so many have made are dead on. I remember trying to combo stuff for hours just to get a crazy high score.

Replay value is crazy good on it. SO worth the $15, for anyone still on the fence!

BTW, I am GeeDuhb on PSN. Please feel free to add me, as I would love to fill up my friend leaderboard, and will love sharing my created stages once everyone gets out of the initial score beating obsession :lol

To me, it's a really awesome mix of old school Tony Hawk and Excite Bike. If that doesn't get someone to buy the game, nothing will.

crispyben

surly said:
For the UKers - PSN is down today (Wednesday) from 4 PM to 4:30 AM on Thursday morning. The store will update earlier than normal, although I don't know when, so if you want to be playing this game tonight you'll have to download it before 4 PM.
NOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm hosting an international telco from 3 to 5 CET, meaning it'll end just as the PSN goes down :( No Joe Danger for me tonight, unless the Store gets updated really early, and I can buy it around 2 CET at the latest... Curses!

GeeDuhb

So...I just sat here for 45 minutes fooling around on 1 ramp in the sandbox, trying to figure out the tricks xD. So, correct me if I am wrong, but it seems like these are the possible combinations:

L1
L1-L1
L1-L1-L1

R1
R1-R1
R1-R1-R1

L1-R1
R1-L1

L1-L1-R1
R1-R1-L1

L1-R1-L1
R1-L1-R1

L1-R1-R1
R1-L1-L1

14 in all? Am I missing any? Are some of mine invalid? Is there a complete tricklist out somewhere? Is it disgusting how obsessed I already am?

No45

crispyben said:
NOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm hosting an international telco from 3 to 5 CET, meaning it'll end just as the PSN goes down :( No Joe Danger for me tonight, unless the Store gets updated really early, and I can buy it around 2 CET at the latest... Curses!
The Independent are quoting noon (BST, I would assume) for the update, no idea where they got that time from though.

Jesus Christ... This is flat out amazing. One of the best games I've played in a long time. I literally could not tear myself away.

It boggles my mind that this was made by only four people. $15 may seem high, but trust me, it's a steal.

Believe the hype, guys.

crispyben

No45 said:
The Independent are quoting noon (BST, I would assume) for the update, no idea where they got that time from though.

EU PS Blog said:
Good morning; don’t worry you haven’t lost track of time, this post really is up earlier than usual. This is because the store is updating earlier than usual (will be live before lunchtime)

YES! :D Now to sneak home and back during (extended) lunch hour...

This game is straight up FILTHY. I've never been so obsessively anal with collecting anything in videogames, so when I realized I had raced through one track about fifty times to get all the stars, it was time to quit for the night.

SO FUN.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
question - hearing all this Tony Hawk stuff - is this game really 'tricky' with lots of button combos, or is it more straightforward than that? Was never a big fan of TH (sorry) but loved kikstart II etc.

robot said:
The game is sooooo awesome. It seems a lot less frustrating than Trials. Looks like its gonna be a better game overall at this rate.

Having a blast trying to do a combo chain through Warthog. Currently 26th on the leaderboard with 58 mil. Can't wait to play more levels like that one - chaining wheelies to an insane multiplier is really intense. I'd imagine its like the early Tony Hawks but I never got into em.

Whats the deal with custom levels..do I need to have friends that have them created like in Trials? That really sucked since nobody I knew made any.

If anyone is looking for people to fill up their leaderboards, feel free to add me (trev04). I have like 3 friends on PSN.
That's a pretty hard accomplishment (being overall better then trials) but I can understand the frustrating part of it. I've logged 200+ hours into trials and have been waiting on JD for awhile, definitely picking this up in the next few days

mrklaw said:
question - hearing all this Tony Hawk stuff - is this game really 'tricky' with lots of button combos, or is it more straightforward than that? Was never a big fan of TH (sorry) but loved kikstart II etc.

Hello Games compares it to Sonic, Tony Hawk and Excitebike. You have parts of each game in it. Some stages are very platform/momentum oriented like a Sonic level, other levels are race oriented. But despite that you can always do tricks (the trick system is handled with R1/L1, so it's no complicated) in order to move up the leaderboards. So I think you'll enjoy it even if you aren't a TH fan because of those other aspects.

aechris

SolidSnakex said:
Hello Games compares it to Sonic, Tony Hawk and Excitebike.

It's funny how well this mix of games nails Joe Danger. +1 for another recommendation; this game is absolutely worth the $15.

If it adds anything new to the thread as well, my wife doesn't play too many games but she spend two hours watching me play last night and I think she was more excited than I was, haha. Being partner-friendly is always a plus! :lol

The Coin Dash levels are so damn fun but they're also without question the most frustrating levels. Your timing has to be spot on during certian levels to clear them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This is gonna be one of those classics that I will keep coming back to for years. I haven't even messed the level creator. Can't wait to see what Hello will add in the patch or DLC.

GrayFoxPL

This thread gets twice as entertaining when you replace "score" with "penis".

Yes I'm feeling immature today :lol .

GeekyDad

GeeDuhb said:

I'll send you a friend invite later today if that's cool. I believe there's a trophy for exchanging tracks, which I wouldn't mind nabbing. :D

Really fun game so far. My experience with the Tony Hawk franchise is limited to a couple of the DS games I've played. I could perhaps see some similarities, though it instantly feels like Excitebike for me, only with tons more silliness. The local multiplayer is all this game needed to be awesome, which unfortunately, the WiiWare remake of Excitebike was lacking.

crispyben

I only had time to play 15 minutes, but they put the biggest smile on my face :D I think the "tricks" advice disappears too fast, is it accessible from some kind of tutorial or help menu?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just bought this! WOOOOOO!

Hyped as heck :D

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Square button use is awesome. Push to lower the rider - release to jump. Feels sooooo good.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bloody hell, I should've been playing this over an hour ago. I still have ~35% to go thanks to the paltry ~50KB/s download speed I'm getting. :lol

CoLaN

WOW.

I was expecting a good game but not this good. This is some of the most addicting fun i had since a loooong time :D

add me for leaderboards and level sharing: CoLaN86

El-Suave

Very cool game as expected. Despite being informed on it, it still took a few minutes to get rid of the mindset that forward is the only rewarding way to go in a game with a start and finish line, but once it clicks it's a great experience.

This will be my "Official console game of World Cup 2010", being able to play it in short bursts makes it pretty ideal between football matches. Red Dead Redemption will have to be put on hold after I complete a story milestone hopefully tonight or tomorrow.

lljride

I held off on this last night. At $15 I wanted to wait for some more late night/early morning impressions.

Looks like I'll be buying this after work today. :D

Fixed1979

I'll run through the names on here in about in about 7hrs :( . In the meantime if anyone wants to add me for leaderboards and hopefully some eventual levels (PSNID:Fixed).

darkwing

lljride said:
I held off on this last night. At $15 I wanted to wait for some more late night/early morning impressions.

Looks like I'll be buying this after work today. :D

buy don't wait :D it's crazy fun, better than some BD games even

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Extremely good game, I couldn't stop playing it last night. It's also visually near flawless except for some jageddy shadows.

How does the level editor work as far as sharing the level files with other people? Is there an online upload/download system for them?

darkwing

Scythesurge said:
Dammit I want to get this game...but there's so many other games that need to be played...dammit.

give it a try, its good for a few minutes of fun or for hours :D yes its crazy fun!

Gacha-pin

The game is soooooooooo fun and I need a rest for my hands:D

Do you use both index fingers and middle fingers for bumper & trigger buttons or only index fingers?

I wish hardware makers switch the positions of the bumper buttons and the trigger buttons.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Gacha-pin said:
The game is soooooooooo fun and I need a rest for my hands:D

Do you use both index fingers and middle fingers for bumper & trigger buttons or only index fingers?

I wish hardware makers switch the positions of the bumper buttons and the trigger buttons.

Once I learned the controls, I found it easier to use both.

I managed to type 'easter' instead of 'easier' just then. :/

Adam J.

Bought this again on my girlfriend's PS3, so I can play this any night of the week. It does get super challenging, but never irritatingly frustrating (like that other guy-on-bike game).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I've been playing since I started downloading and my god this game is fun :lol I don't progress until I get all stars, which is the right way to play IMO! Master all the stages~

Oh and my right hand hurts like shit atm :/ The way I hold the controller in this game is really odd.

Top Bottom